Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

2015_herald_sun_tour_stage2_15_670.jpg

860777-0613ccac-adca-11e4-a60e-64ee9e292a6c.jpg

54g4Hkr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just passed the 50,000 km mark today since getting a Garmin in 2012! :)

(My Veloviewer signature below shows a slightly higher number as it includes a few runs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but he's actually just a male sheep..
    More like a male goat going by his lofty Strava position on the leader boards of most climbs.

(I hauled my arse up one particular very long climb in the Alps a few years ago and came in around 1500th place. Raam was in 3rd! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

More like a male goat going by his lofty Strava position on the leader boards of most climbs.

(I hauled my arse up one particular very long climb in the Alps a few years ago and came in around 1500th place. Raam was in 3rd! :eek:)

Hmmm, I've recently taken gearing advice from Raam....given this information i may have to review my decision

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What. The Actual Fúck. Were They Thinking? FFS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/e3-harelbeke-advert-causes-controversy-159350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/e3-harelbeke-advert-causes-controversy-159350

Sure that could have been my arse!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Sure that could have been my arse!

I'm now doubly affronted

I'm now doubly affronted

Imagine my surprise to find my image used without my consent, only for me to realise that I don't own a pair of blue jocks!

Imagine my surprise to find my image used without my consent, only for me to realise that I don't own a pair of blue jocks!

I can only imagine!

All joking aside though it's a disgrace. How they can think overt sexism and disrespect to half the population is a good way to plug their race is beyond me. Trivialise those attitudes, sure it's a great laugh. Only those mad stuck up feminists'd be against it. They're no craic sure. Equality my (their) arse they only love giving out!

Sure that's what draws us ladies to the sport :rolleyes:

On a separate note podium women need to be gone already. That 'tradition' is justified for nobody and nothing.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On a separate note podium women need to be gone already. That 'tradition' is justified for nobody and nothing.

Rant over.
    I would guess that the number of people deeply offended by podium girls (you, for example) is massively smaller than the number of people who like seeing them (me, for example).

It's not like they're naked and spreadeagled.

I think the idea that podium girls are the reason women's elite/pro cycling is unpopular is a big stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Part of the issue is that in order to highlight the reason that you are affronted you have given publicity to the source of the offence. I was completely unaware of this image and it's use prior to your usage of it. The pr people have win this round methinks.

Lumen wrote: »
    I would guess that the number of people deeply offended by podium girls (you, for example) is massively smaller than the number of people who like seeing them (me, for example).

It's not like they're naked and spreadeagled.

I think the idea that podium girls are the reason women's elite/pro cycling is unpopular is a big stretch.

I never said podium girls were the reason women's cycling was unpopular.

I do think that they are an outdated and sexist 'tradition' that has a highly questionable place in cycling in 2015. Ya know, now that women aren't just objects or decorative features on podiums in the sport now.

It's not a massive thing, but it is a significant thing. It's not exactly encouraging young girls into the sport now is it, given that most cycling you see covered on the TV is mens, and the only women you see in it are…podium girls. That'd not to say that's the only thing young girls can see for themselves in the sport, but I don't think it sends out a positive message of equality.

Again I never said it affected the images on Womens pro/elite cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ya know, now that women aren't just objects or decorative features on podiums in the sport now.
    Sure, people can be more than one thing. :pac:

ROK ON wrote: »
    Part of the issue is that in order to highlight the reason that you are affronted you have given publicity to the source of the offence. I was completely unaware of this image and it's use prior to your usage of it. The pr people have win this round methinks.

Yes. Of course. Lets all ignore sexist/inflammatory messages in the media and maybe they'll go away :rolleyes:

What you can do is draw attention to the fact that those images are wrong. Which is what I was doing.

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure, people can be more than one thing. :pac:

Yep, that's the message I get from podium women!

Yes. Of course. Lets all ignore sexist/inflammatory messages in the media and maybe they'll go away :rolleyes:

What you can do is draw attention to the fact that those images are wrong. Which is what I was doing.

I wonder. I can see why people consider that image as being wrong. But I can also see that the pr company behind the image considered that in the choice of image. Your complaint has had an unintended consequence for you of increasing the hits to that webpage. I'd bet that was an intended consequence of the designer. If that was part of the strategy it worked . The designer doesn't care about anything other than hits I'd imagine.

I wonder. I can see why people consider that image as being wrong. But I can also see that the pr company behind the image considered that in the choice of image. Your complaint has had an unit ended consequence for you of increasing the hits to that webpage. I'd bet that was an intended consequence of the designer. If that was part of the strategy it worked . The designer doesn't care about anything other than hits I'd imagine.

Indeed. But it also led to the image being used in an article to denounce it's purpose, thus subverting the original message of the ad. Yes the image has been circulate more widely than had it been a more equal and less inflammatory image. But it has spread on the foot of it's unsuitability and inherent sexism, which will damage the image of the race. 'All publicity is good publicity' thing does not really work out in actuality. I, for example, and the writers of the cycling weekly article did not share the image as a result of the enlightened, equal and progressive attitudes of the race organizers that sanctioned that image to advertise it. Instead I now think of the philosophy of the organizers running the race, and underpinning it, as rally, really intellectually deficient, stupid, sexist neanderthals. No win here from me!

Also the fact that these images are permitted makes sexism permissive, not calling it out allows it to pervade consciousness's and normalizes the attitudes they represent. Racism is no longer accepted in advertising because people did not just ignore it and hope it would go away, people fought the injustice of it and spread awareness of same. It is another alterity that needs to be represented and defended (equal rights etc). Sexism is the same. It is not ok, and ignoring it or not calling it out allows it to continue.

I don't think that it matters. My point is not against your absolute entitlement to protest. I feel that any of us that feel the need to protest in an issue need to consider how to improve the protest - draw attention to an issue as opposed to being used as a pawn in an advertising game. Easier said than done I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I wonder. I can see why people consider that image as being wrong. But I can also see that the pr company behind the image considered that in the choice of image. Your complaint has had an unit ended consequence for you of increasing the hits to that webpage. I'd bet that was an intended consequence of the designer. If that was part of the strategy it worked . The designer doesn't care about anything other than hits I'd imagine.

I don't follow this notion of 'any publicity is good publicity'. I for one would have a lot less patience for an event/company/product such as E3 harelbeke which utilizes sexist advertising practices and would definitely be less keen to open my pocket in support of them. Sex works in advertising sometimes if it's combined with a good idea but this is just a crass joke about some fella taking liberties with some wan's arse while she tries to put in a days' work.

• Advertisement

Also the fact that these images are permitted makes sexism permissive, not calling it out allows it to pervade consciousness's and normalizes the attitudes they represent. Racism is no longer accepted in advertising because people did not just ignore it and hope it would go away, people fought the injustice of it and spread awareness of same. It is another alterity that needs to be represented and defended (equal rights etc). Sexism is the same. It is not ok, and ignoring it or not calling it out allows it to continue.

Yes but sexism and racism are still permissive. The 3rd largest political party I the UK is a racist party. All of this is alive and well. Protestors need to be cleverer in responding.

Yes but sexism and racism are still permissive. The 3rd largest political party I the UK is a racist party. All of this is alive and well. Protestors need to be cleverer in responding.

That is true.

So we need to protest without referencing the problems at hand? As Tonyandthewhale said, not all publicity is good publicity. People are A LOT more savvy with media now then they were 10 or 20 years ago. That image has attracted more rancor to the race than 'good publicity'. People are smarter than that now. It's not the 90's or 00's anymore!

I can only imagine!

All joking aside though it's a disgrace. How they can think overt sexism and disrespect to half the population is a good way to plug their race is beyond me. Trivialise those attitudes, sure it's a great laugh. Only those mad stuck up feminists'd be against it. They're no craic sure. Equality my (their) arse they only love giving out!

Sure that's what draws us ladies to the sport :rolleyes:

Rant over.

Did you go to see 50 shades of grey yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's hard to know exactly what to do when something like this comes up. I don't like this kind of advertising and I don't really like the concept of podium girls either to be perfectly honest. I can boycott the entire UCI world tour, but the only loser would be me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

didnt think much of it.

50shadesofgrey.jpg

I didn't. I also fear my career as an artist will suffer immeasurably as a consequence of not witnessing such cinematic genius. I will struggle on…

I did read the book, everyone was going on about it so I wanted to judge for myself. I have read primary school essays written better. Don't get me started, it's too easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So, has anyone seen a start list for E3 Harelbeke?

I did read the book

Guilty. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Oh wait, it's not till 27 March. Good thing there was a link handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Here is something to balance out the whole thing for ya Gatetra.
    l-eU5AZPBMLVgM3IKS.jpg

Must say I prefer her lovely skirt tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

inc21 wrote: »
    Here is something to balance out the whole thing for ya Gatetra.
    l-eU5AZPBMLVgM3IKS.jpg

Must say I prefer her lovely skirt tho...

But that's an image of sexy male bodies used to sell clothes that will hopefully/allegedly make male bodies look sexy. You could argue that it's exploitative but it's working on the basis of people's aspiration to be sexy (a valid concern) which is a world away from using a woman's arse to promote a men's bike race and simultaneously make light of sexual harassment.

Exactly Tonyandthewhale. Plus those boys do nothing for me. And two wrongs don't make a right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

They might be selling those blue knickers at E3 you never know :D

Anyway it was my attempt to lighten up this off topic thread. English isn't my first language but I do understand when things are getting too serious all these fancy looking words and all.

It looks like I failed miserably.

They might be selling those blue knickers at E3 you never know :D

Anyway it was my attempt to lighten up this off topic thread. English isn't my first language but I do understand when things are getting too serious all these fancy looking words and all.

It looks like I failed miserably.

You're fine. I just never liked playing with Ken Dolls :p

(Or dolls in general actually!)

English isn't my first language.

It ain't ours neither!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

It ain't ours neither!

Spoke fir yerself!!

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Spoke fir yerself!!

Sorry Guv'nor.

Does anyone know where one can get a bike sprayed these days?

sprayed with what?

lennymc wrote: »
    sprayed with what?

Attitude. Also known as paint.

• Advertisement

Interesting piece on Pat Kenny about asthma. Sports induced asthma is triggered by breathing through your mouth (baskin shark style) which doesn't give your body the chance to warm the air before it reaches your bronchioles like it would when you breath in through your nose. You learn something new every day!

breathing through your mouth is triggered by trying to keep up with pesky juniors and super vets in a race.
    I missed a lot of last season with what I (and several drs) thought was a chest infection but turned out to be a reaction to an irritant that caused my asthma to flare up big time.

lennymc wrote: »
    breathing through your mouth is triggered by trying to keep up with pesky juniors and super vets in a race.
    I missed a lot of last season with what I (and several drs) thought was a chest infection but turned out to be a reaction to an irritant that caused my asthma to flare up big time.

That was another point. That long lasting coughing is commonly mistaken for infections but is asthma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There is no way I can breathe through my nose efficiently enough during any serious excercise (above 85% HR)

Cold air triggers my asthma the most, BTW - no problems in summertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Interesting piece on Pat Kenny about asthma. Sports induced asthma is triggered by breathing through your mouth (baskin shark style) which doesn't give your body the chance to warm the air before it reaches your bronchioles like it would when you breath in through your nose. You learn something new every day!

Pretty much why I wear a buff at all times, training or racing...

Pretty much why I wear a buff at all times, training or racing...

Me too when training. I'm like a ninja these days!

I always wonder why I see so many cyclists that don't cover their faces in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think Obree recommends putting your tongue against the roof to warm the air as it goes through your mouth. Might just freeze your tongue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'm the same, cold weather exercise brings on asthma. I only found this out a month ago. A buff tends to make my glasses fog up though. Is there a trick to it?

quozl wrote: »
    I'm the same, cold weather exercise brings on asthma. I only found this out a month ago. A buff tends to make my glasses fog up though. Is there a trick to it?

I have the same problem! I pull the buff down under my nose if I go slowly or stop, as that's when my glasses tend to fog up. I look with much envy at non-bespectacled riders and their consistent buff-ness. When it's really cold I use a regular buff then a heavier fleece one over it, and keep it under the nose to prevent fogging.

I have become super reliant on buffs now, on and off the bike. I can't stand having a cold face or air now. If it's even a bit chilly outside I buff up. I look like I'm heading out for an arctic exploration half the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is there a trick to it?

Switch to contact lenses in winter?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement