Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ROK ON wrote: »
    That's wrong.
    Blueberries go in the pancake batter for American style pancakes. Maple syrup is the classic component. Never ever heard of custard on a pancake. Sound revolting and looks worse.

How empty life must be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

How empty life must be

But how full his tummy must be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thank fúck for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

True, but one can spread the word that those kind of messages are not ok of condoned by a sports governing body. People are a lot smarter about what they see now, and the reaction to that poster shows how far attitudes have changed. And now it has been removed. Happier days…we're not there yet but we're getting there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Regardless of the circumstance, I lost my temper this morning and called a driver a bit©h, twice. It was a stupid thing to have done, am now feeling like an idiot :o

Seeking forgiveness or absolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tell us the circumstance. Was she a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Alek wrote: »
    Tell us the circumstance. Was she a dog?

It's gone all very "Mattie McGrath"

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Puggy wrote: »
    Regardless of the circumstance, I lost my temper this morning and called a driver a bit©h, twice. It was a stupid thing to have done, am now feeling like an idiot :o

Say three Hail Marys repeats of The Rules

• Advertisement

No forgiveness without confession.

She made a few errors, I resorted to verbal abuse. End of story. I was stupid to lower my standards.

Just someone say I'm forgiven 😄

Your sins are forgiven, Go in peace. Sin no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Your sins are forgiven, Go in peace. Sin no more.

Letting him off lightly, I want the juicy details before absolution is granted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So long as in future you are wittier, b*tch is just lazy and sexist, a cheap insult with little impact. The person you are giving out to has already won. Your insult has done nothing to help them realise the error of their ways, and how you are correct as shown by your greater intelligence, therefore they have no reason to take your insult on board, they can just ignore you and rightly so.

So long as in future, so long as your responses are measured, accurate, witty and quick, that's OK.

For example, someone pulls across you, catch them at the next lights, smile and tap on their passenger window. When they roll down the window, say, I hate to tell you but you should probably get to the garage as your wing mirror is broken. When they ask why or look again, explain that,it is the only logical reason you can think of that they cut across you, because if it was working, surely you wouldn't have cut you up.

You can also replace this with indicator etc. as necessary.

Someone on the phone nearly hits you. Pull in front of them if safe to do so eg at a traffic lights, step of your bike, take out your phone and call someone, when they start to shout or wind down their window say "I am so sorry, I didn't notice you because I was on the phone, I suppose that's why its's illegal, not very nice when someone on the road is oblivious to your presence because they are to busy on the phone".

I've taken forgiveness over absolution. I feel like a new man 😄

Cram cycle, judging by the length of your post (no giggling) your linguistic skills are way beyond mine. I will however attempt to remember your witty examples and use them at the next opportune moment. Though I have a vague feeling they have the potiential to inflame this kind of interaction rather than the desired outcome.

I've taken forgiveness over absolution. I feel like a new man 😄

Cram cycle, judging by the length of your post (no giggling) your linguistic skills are way beyond mine. I will however attempt to remember your witty examples and use them at the next opportune moment. Though I have a vague feeling they have the potiential to inflame this kind of interaction rather than the desired outcome.

I should say, I am not even remotely suggesting that my idea is a good idea, and if you follow the path I have laid out, you do so of your own volition knowing full well that any consequences are yours (and the person who punches you) to deal with.

My english is terrible though, my favourite retort of the year has to be from Zyzz. It was either asking a driver would he pull out on his OH as quick? or telling him that he can pull out on his OH as quick as he wants but don't dare do it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

unicycle.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Going to head up to Kippure tomorrow and maybe go around and back down bohernabreena. I'll drive up to the big shmoke. Where's a good place to park the car? Last time I went up, the missus dropped me off in Ballyboden so i didn't have to think about parking. My car is a filthy banger so I'm not worried about theft, just want cheap/free parking somewhere southside. Anything around Marley Park to Beacon/leopardstown would do. Suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Going to head up to Kippure tomorrow and maybe go around and back down bohernabreena. I'll drive up to the big shmoke. Where's a good place to park the car? Last time I went up, the missus dropped me off in Ballyboden so i didn't have to think about parking. My car is a filthy banger so I'm not worried about theft, just want cheap/free parking somewhere southside. Anything around Marley Park to Beacon/leopardstown would do. Suggestions?

The back car park of marlay park would be grand. Free too, and from there you could take the Cruagh Road route up.

Most of the parking around Marley Park is free, there are also a few pubs/hotels dotted around it that are never full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

1358898483215-11xuwi9frp9jv-960-540.jpg

signs1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Is cruagh much different difficulty wise to stocking lane? I'll probably head up stocking lane to start and on to Kippure, I've done that before so I can judge what level of fitness I'm at compared to last time. Might try cruagh afterwards if I'm not in a heap

Is cruagh much different difficulty wise to stocking lane? I'll probably head up stocking lane to start and on to Kippure, I've done that before so I can judge what level of fitness I'm at compared to last time. Might try cruagh afterwards if I'm not in a heap
    Much the same. I'd say Cruagh is slightly easier but I know others would disagree.

• Advertisement

Stocking lane - Steep, average, average, steep

Cruagh - Steep, Steep, Average, Steep, Average

Much the same. I'd say Cruagh is slightly easier but I know others would disagree.

I always think that stocking lane has more short and high intensity climbs where as cruagh road is more of a constant slog up. I prefer stocking lane for this reason, but there's not a huge amount in it!

You can still do either if you start at the back of the Marlay park. Head up Cruagh road until mount venus road and take that road over. However there is a bit of climbing in that route too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For me the variety and twists & turns on Cruagh seem to make it that bit easier compared to the straight slogs on Stocking Lane. Unlike Alanstrainor, I would have thought there were short steeper sections on Cruagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Prefer Cruagh also.

The front tyre on my track bike now has a massive hole in it-it's a write off. It's been out of the house precisely 4 times* :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What makes it worse, is that replacing both tyres (only a month ago!) took 45 mins, and cost 3 inner tubes and a tyre lever. The road bike took 2 mins per tyre. Not looking forward to replacing it :mad:

*sharp stone on commute from track took it out. Grrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »
    What makes it worse, is that replacing both tyres (only a month ago!) took 45 mins, and cost 3 inner tubes!

Support your LBS!

You ride the track bike on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

My 10 year old daugther learned about force, power, acceleration and aerodynamics this week in school.

The teacher used the design of a bike to demonstrate these concepts by utilising a video from Rouleur.

How cool is that.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Support your LBS!

You ride the track bike on the road?

LBS is €€€, I'm free! I shall be wresting said tyre when it arrives. It's gonna be a Battle Royale situation. Things that cost money will not be sacrificed. Fingers and hands have accepted their fates :pac:

Yep, I cycle to and from track, but there is a Goldfinger on the front so it's fine. I don't really use it now though, it's more of an assurance thing. I wouldn't do it without it though!
    It gets interesting when I hop on regular bike after and try to slow down with my legs…"duh freewheel" moment :rolleyes: :o

ROK ON I wish I went to your daughters school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

^^^ For some of us around here, it's still too soon to be watching videos like that. :(

IGYKJWG.png

:pac: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Zyzz wrote: »
    IGYKJWG.png

:pac: :o
    tumblr_lwsbmaBLPy1r5gxtwo1_500.jpg

'Today with Sean O'Rourke' (RTE Radio One) due to discuss "The spike in serious cycling injuries" according to the introduction this morning.

Saw a cyclist who had just been knocked down by a car on the canal just after Rathmines heading east. He looked in a bad way, with a fire engine and ambulance screaming to the scene shortly after. Hope he's not seriously injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-234B-6213

Courtesy of road.cc - a car that you can dismantle, make a bike and escape the traffic jam.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-234B-6213

Courtesy of road.cc - a car that you can dismantle, make a bike and escape the traffic jam.

So basically they have parts of a Brompton or small fold up, hidden in their car.

Well done Ford, but I solved this years ago....

... by putting my bike in the boot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

CramCycle wrote: »
    So basically they have parts of a Brompton or small fold up, hidden in their car.

Well done Ford, but I solved this years ago....

... by putting my bike in the boot :P

If only someone could come up with a contraption you could put on your car to carry a bike, you know like a type of rack or something. It could be supported from straps or even use a car's hitch to support it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If only someone could come up with a contraption you could put on your car to carry a bike, you know like a type of rack or something. It could be supported from straps or even use a car's hitch to support it.....

You should definitely make one and copyright it
    You could call it a rackbike or maybe a carrierbike

q7Zj9Q8.jpg

Fcukin' hell! :eek: At least the reg is visible in the still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As I've said before, I do wonder how many of these punishment passes go wrong, and then the driver claims he just couldn't see the cyclists. And in this case the newspapers would solemnly report that the cyclists weren't wearing "reflective clothing" or something like that.

In short, I suspect that the "couldn't see" fatality figures are inflated by punishment and prank passes that go wrong (not to mention impatient and inept drivers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Looks like the rather excellent "What age did you start back cycling" thread has run out of steam. Shame. Anyone here with a story still to tell?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tomasrojo wrote: »
    As I've said before, I do wonder how many of these punishment passes go wrong, and then the driver claims he just couldn't see the cyclists. And in this case the newspapers would solemnly report that the cyclists weren't wearing "reflective clothing" or something like that.

In short, I suspect that the "couldn't see" fatality figures are inflated by punishment and prank passes that go wrong (not to mention impatient and inept drivers).
    Had someone do something similar to me when riding in a group in the UK last October. They had been stuck behind another vehicle that waited until there was adequate room to overtake. The car behind them was blaring their horn to try and force them past. As soon as the first car had an opportunity to overtake the second flew past at very high speed, giving me perhaps half a metre or less clearance (when they had probably another 3+ metres on the other side they could have used)

Got to say my relatively limited exoperiences in the UK suggest there is a lot less patience over there with a much higher proportion of motorists prepared to take ridiculous risks

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Got to say my relatively limited exoperiences in the UK suggest there is a lot less patience over there with a much higher proportion of motorists prepared to take ridiculous risks

Went over to Wales last year and I see why Audax UK promote back roads, other than the scenery and the interest, their version of N roads are like playing death ball. I had more punishment passes in those few hours than I have had in a lifetime in Ireland. One car hit my friends handlebar, another looped back at a roundabout so they could have another go. I remember one swerving in across a lane, nearly got themselves rear ended while they were at it.

Sheer lunacy, they are the nicer things that happened, if I told you some of the things, you would struggle to believe it was all in one day in the modern world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement