Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Most Shimano-compatible freehubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible. A ten speed cassette is about a millimeter narrower overall than an eight speed or nine speed cassette, so when you tighten the lockring on a ten speed cassette, when installed on a freehub body that's also compatible with Shimano eight or nine speed cassettes, you'll have about a millimeter of play. The 1mm spacer compensates for this and eliminates the play.

I don't think they're talking about the 1mm washer but about the very thin almost foil like washer that sits directly under the lockring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Most Shimano-compatible freehubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible. A ten speed cassette is about a millimeter narrower overall than an eight speed or nine speed cassette, so when you tighten the lockring on a ten speed cassette, when installed on a freehub body that's also compatible with Shimano eight or nine speed cassettes, you'll have about a millimeter of play. The 1mm spacer compensates for this and eliminates the play.

Different washer. Wishbone Ash is talking about the paper-thin metal one that is mounted on the lockring, rather than the one that goes behind the cassette.

shimano_cs-6600_lockring_washer_12t_y1zd98020.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Cyclists with three breasts ? Pics or GTFO.

Junior wrote: »
    Cyclists with three breasts ? Pics or GTFO.

That'll be the Flouride :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Use of the word "abreast" suggests educated stupidity.

You can learn us wat u meanz buy dat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

First tan lines of the year today. The knees have gone from transparent to milk bottle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »
    First tan lines of the year today. The knees have gone from transparent to milk bottle!

I think that you are confusing wind burn for sun tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Milk bottle knees are not cool... Trying to maintain gender balance and not be banned.

man.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

At times they're pretty cool.

341205.jpg

• Advertisement

Puggy wrote: »
    Milk bottle knees are not cool... Trying to maintain gender balance and not be banned.

But you've only got mens in your picture :p

Milk bottle knees are a definite improvement on transparent ones, trust me. The rest of the legs should move onto milk bottle by August :pac:

But you've only got mens in your picture :p

Milk bottle knees are a definite improvement on transparent ones, trust me. The rest of the legs should move onto milk bottle by August :pac:

I'll take your word for it. My legs from toe to top are white as cream all year round. But I think those Turkish guys in their miniskirts to protest violence against women are v cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Who's up for a group buy?.....Only 10 pairs available so we'd better be quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

For the first time I had to walk to work due to a mechanical. The freehub pawls decided to stick after the halfway mark to work and before any bike shops where open. Considering I've cycled for the past 20 years and this is the first time I haven't been able to fix a bike on the side of the road it isn't bad going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For the first time I had to walk to work due to a mechanical. The freehub pawls decided to stick...

I had similar, my rear hub (sram automatix) decided to implode cycling down the car park ramp last Thursday. Couldn't fix with tools I brought in on the bus on Friday so collected it with the car and took it apart and reassembled it yesterday.

Then this morning, halfway up the hill out of the village the coaster brake clicked on and I had to go back home to get a spare bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

6 more weeks off the bike recommended by physio. I've the broken body of a much older man it seems

Weepsie wrote: »
    6 more weeks off the bike recommended by physio. I've the broken body of a much older man it seems

Give it back to him, you bad person.

(And sympathy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Looks like he's very afraid of the descents.

bergmonch1-354x308.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Air BnB or Uber for bikes?

https://www.spinlister.com/

• Advertisement

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »

Let's just get one thing absolutely clear - I am not winning any races......

.....at present :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

This made me laugh.

http://galibier.cc/the-life-of-a-male-club-cyclist/

I am thinking of getting a steel Colnago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Air BnB or Uber for bikes?

https://www.spinlister.com/

Great service - I've used it on my recent travels and can recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Proper order - dem Brits have the right idea........:D

Those kids don't even pay road tax.....

Grantham girl, 4, gets cycling-on-path police warning
    Parents of a four-year-old girl were baffled when a police officer threatened to confiscate her bike because she was cycling on a pavement.

Sophie Lindley, who uses stabilisers, was cycling on Trent Road, Grantham with dad Dale, when they were stopped.

Police accepted while cycling on pavements was illegal, officers should use discretion with young children.

One cycling charity pointed out being under 10, Sophie is too young to be able to break the law.

Mr Lindley said they regularly let Sophie cycle to school.

"We stopped to look at some ducks when the officer pulled over and said she had to get off," he said.

"He said 'The law is the law' and she was not allowed to ride on the path.

"He said 'If I catch you put her on her bike further up the road I will turn around and confiscate the bike'.

"I couldn't believe it. It's daft."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Only for the fact that it would break the kids heart to see her bike being taken away, and she'd in fear of the police for ever after, I would have liked to see the copper take the bike off the kid and let them deal with the PR fall out afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Beasty wrote: »
    Let's just get one thing absolutely clear - I am not winning any races......

.....at present :)

Don't think I haven't been keeping a very close eye on your cycling log! :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Perfect morning for a proper spin.

And I'm stuck in the office.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG.........!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jawgap wrote: »
    Proper order - dem Brits have the right idea........:D

Those kids don't even pay road tax.....

Grantham girl, 4, gets cycling-on-path police warning

The officers opinion might have changed if she had a hi-vis and helmet on.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anybody any experience in hiring bikes in France?

Heading to Argeles Sur Mer for two weeks in June.

Was considering bringing my own bike but it just smells like a lot of hassle.

Contacted a local lad who is offering me a road bike excluding helmet and pedals for €137 for the two weeks, so €10 a day.

Anybody ever hired over there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone notice that one of the reports on RTE website re the Irish language wording for the same sex marriage referendum actually quite the wording?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Anyone notice that one of the reports on RTE website re the Irish language wording for the same sex marriage referendum actually quite the wording?

I've re-read this a couple of times, and I'm not sure what you're getting at. Is it that they don't quote the wording?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

MugMugs wrote: »
    Anybody any experience in hiring bikes in France?

Heading to Argeles Sur Mer for two weeks in June.

Was considering bringing my own bike but it just smells like a lot of hassle.

Contacted a local lad who is offering me a road bike excluding helmet and pedals for €137 for the two weeks, so €10 a day.

Anybody ever hired over there?

Looks like a decent enough price. I paid about €180 for two weeks in the Loire Valley a year or two ago. Bring your own pedals and saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I've re-read this a couple of times, and I'm not sure what you're getting at. Is it that they don't quote the wording?

Yes. Apologies. I didn't put it very well. That's what I'm "getting at".

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Yes. Apologies. I didn't put it very well. That's what I'm "getting at".

Thanks, I thought I was going mad.

Had great service in Top Bicycle Shop in Clontarf today. Popped over after the club spin on Sunday to get cones tightened on the back wheel. My hub is fúcked, (I knew this) but the guys kept her in to try and drag a bit more life out of it. Picked it up today, gearing was a bit off and they spent ages on her getting her right, and I got tea. Lovely people. Super helpful, and patient, and kept going until the job was done, replaced a cable and everything trying to get her right. Most of all, in the 'your bike is ready text', they addressed her (the bike) with her name: "Jessica is ready :)"! Now my number 1 bike shop! Great spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Time for new bar tape.
    Wondering if I should use black again or go crazy and try bright green?

341549.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

No matter what colour it starts off as it goes black sooner or later. But Cif cleaner can brighten dirty bar tape up.
    I have white.on my bike its grey now but still white to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Had great service in Top Bicycle Shop in Clontarf today. Popped over after the club spin on Sunday to get cones tightened on the back wheel. My hub is fúcked, (I knew this) but the guys kept her in to try and drag a bit more life out of it. Picked it up today, gearing was a bit off and they spent ages on her getting her right, and I got tea. Lovely people. Super helpful, and patient, and kept going until the job was done, replaced a cable and everything trying to get her right. Most of all, in the 'your bike is ready text', they addressed her (the bike) with her name: "Jessica is ready :)"! Now my number 1 bike shop! Great spot!

Yeah the guy who is manager is the chairman of our club. Sound guy and great shop.

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Time for new bar tape.

341549.jpg

C'mon...if your bar tape needs replacing then what is the state of the rest of the bike?
    Unrideable until it is replaced by a new one!

You're not helping the situation b!

CPL 593H

You're not helping the situation b!
    I never do!
    Sweet bike btw

bcmf wrote: »
    Yeah the guy who is manager is the chairman of our club. Sound guy and great shop.

Was talking to him! Lovely chap. They all are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Time for new bar tape.

341549.jpg

Rule number 8!

Yes, yes , yes :D ....but doesn't this look kinda cool too?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

I vote green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

ditto on green. looks good. Then you can get green tyres :)

Actually, My carrera (which is getting lots of use these days as my 'i'm never cleaning it' bike) is white and blue. I bought tyres for it, but as it is an exercise is el cheapo cycling, they were the cheapest decent tyres I could find. They are yellow. I also have red bar tape for it. It should be hideous. :)

lennymc wrote: »
    ditto on green. looks good. Then you can get green tyres :)

Actually, My carrera (which is getting lots of use these days as my 'i'm never cleaning it' bike) is white and blue. I bought tyres for it, but as it is an exercise is el cheapo cycling, they were the cheapest decent tyres I could find. They are yellow. I also have red bar tape for it. It should be hideous. :)

Sounds like my dream bike. Bikes are far to black and lack a range of colours. Someday I will have a bike that is yellow, red, blue AND green.

Current fancy bike has odd electrical tape on the bars and one black cable (the rest are white). I'll get there one component at a time :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Current fancy bike has odd electrical tape on the bars and one black cable (the rest are white). I'll get there one component at a time :pac:

stole that from you. My tape was cut up so I now have electrical tape (red) in key places. Works well with the red frame and the white tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Had great service in Top Bicycle Shop in Clontarf today. ... Lovely people. Super helpful, and patient, and kept going until the job was done, replaced a cable and everything trying to get her right. Most of all, in the 'your bike is ready text', they addressed her (the bike) with her name: "Jessica is ready :)"! Now my number 1 bike shop! Great spot!

I got my bike serviced there this week and I was was pretty happy with it. It's the most I've spent on a service but also the most thorough. They're not quite my number one but I'll be happy to go back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement