Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Vote Green and its nearly Paddy's day too - winner!

Why stop there? I have green cable outers on one of mine (and green rims...) but the bar tape is 'natural' cork.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

10995212_821038947933443_54671523_n.jpg

Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd go green tape, with matching outer cables.
    Then when you have that done, you'll need another bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Anyone else notice Thomas Voeckler's brakes on stage one in Paris-Nice ?

Image is near the bottom of this article.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/behind-the-lens-at-paris-nice-161528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Ehhhh, just looking at the Cycling Ireland Calendar of events and it is appearing in Polish for me

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/leisure-events-calendar2

Marzec is March right??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bazermc wrote: »
    Ehhhh, just looking at the Cycling Ireland Calendar of events and it is appearing in Polish for me

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/leisure-events-calendar2

Marzec is March right??????
    Works fine for me.

http://s7.postimg.org/ulj7k90ez/Screen_Shot_2015_03_11_at_11_17_35.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Anyone else notice Thomas Voeckler's brakes on stage one in Paris-Nice ?

Image is near the bottom of this article.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/behind-the-lens-at-paris-nice-161528

The bar-top levers allow Voeckler to sit upright more of the time so even more people can see his "Look, ma! - I'm riding my bike really, really hard" face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How long should I expect a shimano single speed freewheel to last? I guess this is one of those, how long is a piece of string questions but I thought I'd ask. I reckon I have 3500->4000km ish on mine at the moment, kind of wondering if I'm pushing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Single speed freewheel should last a long time. It doesn't have to be very thin like 10 speed stuff so heavier teeth and heavier chain links should last forever (like your old bike as a kid)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Single speed freewheel should last a long time. It doesn't have to be very thin like 10 speed stuff so heavier teeth and heavier chain links should last forever (like your old bike as a kid)...

Anything I can do for maintenance to increase service life?

I have had one fail, but the bike was second hand so I have no idea what the mileage was! Saw a guy bust his chain when commuting this morning and suddenly had a bit of a panic about drivetrain stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Anything I can do for maintenance to increase service life?

I have had one fail, but the bike was second hand so I have no idea what the mileage was! Saw a guy bust his chain when commuting this morning and suddenly had a bit of a panic about drivetrain stuff.

For a medium term project changing the drive chain to 1/8 pitch , which is standard for track, would give you peace of mind on that front. It can take a lot of wear. Sounds like it is currently 3/32 which is standard on some off the shelf single speed/fixed gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Broke my ankle last night (non biking accident) so will be off the bike for at least a couple of months. Gutted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Broke my ankle last night (non biking accident) so will be off the bike for at least a couple of months. Gutted :(

Ouch :(

Get well soon.. Broken bones suck :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

if its a bit windy out i get awful pains in my ears
    any ideas how to stop this happening

not sure about using ear plugs as i wouldn't be able to hear around me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dunworth1 wrote: »

Listen to Motorhead, AC/DC, Rammstein, RATN etc :pac:

Have you tried a helmet liner with longer sides which cover your ears during winter?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Listen to Motorhead, AC/DC, Rammstein, RATN etc :pac:

Have you tried a helmet liner with longer sides which cover your ears during winter?.

just came across these
    http://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

anyone have any experience with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The last gatorskin in my fleet has met its grisly end, taking the sort of hit that Gatorskins are supposed to be about preventing, a small chunk of glass through the heart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks stupid but I wear a lumberjack hat (not sure what they are called).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eek get well soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looks stupid but I wear a lumberjack hat (not sure what they are called).

Deerstalker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

just came across these
    http://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

anyone have any experience with them

Saw something similar last year and got them: http://www.cat-ears.com/

Seem to be the same type of thing. I put them on and they look absolutely ridiculous. Literally like 2 big strips of fur stuck to the side of your head. no idea if they work or not I never used them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The last gatorskin in my fleet has met its grisly end, taking the sort of hit that Gatorskins are supposed to be about preventing, a small chunk of glass through the heart.
    If it's any consolation I had a blow out with a Gator a couple of weeks ago. I also managed to destroy my 2 spare tubes before I realised the side of the tyre had suffered a big cut (10pm at the side of the road on a dark night) and any re-tubing would have been futile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Deerstalker?

Trapper or Lumberjack hat? Deerstalker was Sherlock Homes

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

roverrules wrote: »

You called?

Deerstalker?

On googling both, it would appear to be a mix of the two, having specific traits of both. Tied up ear flaps and front peak of the deerstalker, and a shortened version of the back of a trapper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That was the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Put an old gatorskin on a wheel yesterday, forgot that tyre had a fairly big (~1cm) rip in the wall..so when I got up to about 80 PSI..

EFZlzgq.gif

That was the joke.

I get it, I made it a bit "Colombo"esque by explaining it though which makes it less humourous :( (emoticons destroy it completely)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Gator skins can take a lot of abuse. I've had 3 pairs over the last couple of years. Out of the 6, two of them had sidewall failures, once in the shed, the other at the airport, on a cold December night.

I ended up putting part of the tyre lever between the tyre and tube, as there was a 10mm gash in the side wall. Did all this while being scrutinised by some hardy smokers outside Keilys (?) pub. All of them seasoned life time pros, who could have done it one handed, while blindfolded, drinking a pint and smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Gator skins can take a lot of abuse. I've had 3 pairs over the last couple of years. Out of the 6, two of them had sidewall failures

So, they can or they can't?

I had only one sidewall failure in my entire cycling life, on a GP4000 that has no sidewall protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Paris Nice on Shky go, Tirreno-Adriatico on the TV (save for intermittent switching to Cheltenham)... what a lovely way to spend a rainy Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Alek wrote: »
    So, they can or they can't?

I had only one sidewall failure in my entire cycling life, on a GP4000 that has no sidewall protection.

Have had two grand prixs with side wall failure (not gp4000's) recently. Both less than a few months old.

Seems that "Continental" is the common denominator of all sidewall failures I've read on this forum :pac:

Seems that "Continental" is the common denominator of all sidewall failures I've read on this forum :pac:

It's put me right off them. I'm looking to get some gatorskins for the commuter, but seriously thinking of Panasonic ribmos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's put me right off them. I'm looking to get some gatorskins for the commuter, but seriously thinking of Panasonic ribmos

Just get a pair of Durano Plus and never have to complain about tyres again.

Those in the know...roll with Durano. :D

Like Gators, Ribmos are great for 'ordinary' puncture protection but like Gators, I've destroyed a couple long before they had much wear due to tearing a hole in the sidewall. This seems to happen me at night.

(I also find Ribmos slightly slower than Gators).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cdaly_ wrote: »

...and Tony Fenton RIP

Tony%20Fenton_zpsayilibga.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Like Gators, Ribmos are great for 'ordinary' puncture protection but like Gators, I've destroyed a couple long before they had much wear due to tearing a hole in the sidewall. This seems to happen me at night.

(I also find Ribmos slightly slower than Gators).
    I've killed Gatorskins in less than 100km by ripping the sidewall. It blew out the front tyre and I ended up on my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

If there was an award for the most awkward videos on Youtube..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Highly off topic...

Scrap alloy (wheels) is now about 1.25 a KG. It was about 1.00 mid last year.

Have yet to investigate why it has increased so much in the last six months but in fairness...result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Zyzz wrote: »

If there was an award for the most awkward videos on Youtube..

jaysus that's some collection of videos he has there...

Zyzz wrote: »
    ]
    ...If there was an award for the most awkward videos on Youtube..
    What a sad life he must lead if he feels the need to tackle people on such trivial indiscretions and then upload them. :(

Have had two grand prixs with side wall failure (not gp4000's) recently. Both less than a few months old.

Obviously jinxed myself earlier. Just now on the commute on the way home - waiting at the traffic lights in Castleknock when an unmerciful bang heralded the latest sidewall blow out. Back wheel. 3 out of 4 grand prixs in about 5 months that makes it.

All at correct pressure. I contacted continental about this previously and they told me to bring it back to the shop I bought them in - well and good but it appears to be a manufacturing fault that should be addressed. One nearly blew on the front a few months back - God knows what would have happened on a quick descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

What a scumbag!

Obviously jinxed myself earlier. Just now on the commute on the way home - waiting at the traffic lights in Castleknock when an unmerciful bang heralded the latest sidewall blow out.

:eek:

:eek:

I'm blaming you :pac:

You sure it wasn't a pinch flat?

I'll get my goat....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yesus :eek::eek::eek::eek: What an absolute cúnt. What on earth could motivate someone to do something like that? Holy fúck.

• Advertisement

You sure it wasn't a pinch flat?

I'll get my goat....

Hah yeah normally it is, I'm gong to re-reg as Blow Out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement