Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What a scumbag!

That's terrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What a sad life he must lead if he feels the need to tackle people on such trivial indiscretions and then upload them. :(

I've viewed a lot of his video's, the guy (in my opinion) is a fecking idiot [I'm being charitable].. He's obviously got a few screws loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

If it's any consolation I had a blow out with a Gator a couple of weeks ago. I also managed to destroy my 2 spare tubes before I realised the side of the tyre had suffered a big cut (10pm at the side of the road on a dark night) and any re-tubing would have been futile.

Colour me consoled!

Also I've always hated that Gator. put on a bog standard Rubino last night and the bike just feels so much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Colour me consoled!

Also I've always hated that Gator. put on a bog standard Rubino last night and the bike just feels so much nicer.

You beat me to it.
    I was gonna say dump your Conti's and go Vittoria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    If there was an award for the most awkward videos on Youtube..
    I regularly see people parked on that first corner, I'd be annoyed coming up from the side road as its awkward, if not slightly dangerous to go around from a visibility perspective but FFS, in his lane, he can see it a mile away, merge into traffic (as he is about to do anyway as he is turning right) and move on.

As for Mondeo man, I wonder how cycledub gets anything done in his day to day life between taking time to point out every indiscretion in such detail and then upload and post it on youtube.
    bcmf wrote: »
    You beat me to it.
    I was gonna say dump your Conti's and go Vittoria.
    Vittorias, bar the randonneurs have always shredded on me. My GP4000S generally last two years.

If you want longevity, go with Schwalbe.
    If you want comfort and speed, go with Conti.*

*This is an opinion, and in no way reflects how the world of tyres works for other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

First ride to the creche with the trailer, she is only 8 months and she was smiling and giggling in there. Was a nice feeling but also terrifying that anyone can run you over so easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AstraMonti wrote: »
    First ride to the creche with the trailer, she is only 8 months and she was smiling and giggling in there. Was a nice feeling but also terrifying that anyone can run you over so easy.

It is terrifying at first, I have a bike seat but found myself pulling over every few minutes to double check he was OK. I have started taking him on a longer route home recently, you can here the laughter rise when you pick up any kind of speed over the normal.

I would have preferred a trailer as I think they are safer but it was a compromise with the OH so child seat it is.

Glad she enjoyed it, most important aspect of the adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

AstraMonti wrote: »

Only advice I can give on this is if you're coming to a little ramp... and you're tempted to use the extra bit of weight on the back to "pop a wheelie"... Don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Only advice I can give on this is if you're coming to a little ramp... and you're tempted to use the extra bit of weight on the back to "pop a wheelie"... Don't!

Unless, of course, you have the GoPro recording...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Paris Nice on Shky go, Tirreno-Adriatico on the TV (save for intermittent switching to Cheltenham)... what a lovely way to spend a rainy Thursday!

me today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^^ but it's sunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    ^^^^ but it's sunny

But it's money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Got roped into a 10km run in work on 11th April. Been dreading it. Zero training done.

Knocked out 6.5km in a little under a half hour tonight - feckin app packed in when phone locked itself - first run since 2009. This cycling lark is great for the oul fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

got clipped by a wing mirror yesterday evening
    first time ever coming off the bike since i started.

i fell on my arse/tailbone really pissed off today because i was too sore to go out in the nice weather.

the person in the car stopped for a moment and then drove off as i was getting up. they didnt even roll down the window to ask if i was ok or anything

my bike has a little scrape on the end of the handlebar, my rear light button is broken and one of my cleats is damaged.

scary enough experience and painful also :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dunworth1 wrote: »

i fell on my arse/tailbone really pissed off today because i was too sore to go out in the nice weather.

the person in the car stopped for a moment and then drove off as i was getting up. they didnt even roll down the window to ask if i was ok or anything

my bike has a little scrape on the end of the handlebar, my rear light button is broken and one of my cleats is damaged.

That's awful, did you report it? Get any of the rego?

That's awful, did you report it? Get any of the rego?

nope all i seen was that it was a dark Toyota.

nope all i seen was that it was a dark Toyota.

thats a hit and run fairly serious matter, they left the scene of an accident they where involved with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Question RE cycling Ireland membership. I've gone through everything and paid, got a 'payment successful' and it's gone from my paypal but it's still saying 'Awaiting payment'..

Is it automatic or does it have to be cleared on their end? :)

manafana wrote: »
    thats a hit and run fairly serious matter, they left the scene of an accident they where involved with

all that was going through my mind at the time was how hurt i was and if everything was ok
    didn't care about anything else.

reporting it was the least of my worries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

How does the bohernabreena climb compare to Stocking lane? going to head up there after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Daroxtar wrote: »
    How does the bohernabreena climb compare to Stocking lane? going to head up there after work.

Hardy man!

i fell on my arse/tailbone

<snip>

Probably a good idea to report it even at this stage, in case that spinal crash turns into whiplash. (I know whiplash is often mocked because people fake it, but if you really get it, it can ruin your mobility and health.)

I'd be inclined to take your arse to the doctor as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Ok, random. But been bugging me all day. What's the song in the ad on tv at the moment for bread with stephen roche in it? He is on an opentop bus celebrating tdf win. Been frying my head all this morning lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Not telling you Muhahaha

Google tells me it's something to do with Caffrey's Big Time Bars, whatever they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Johnson Mooney & O'Brien
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Finally got my 5 year old to watch some cycling with me.

Then had to explain to her why one cyclists got of his bike and kicked his wheel and another took his bottle out and threw it to the side of the road. Bad Behaviour she said!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Ok, random. But been bugging me all day. What's the song in the ad on tv at the moment for bread with stephen roche in it? He is on an opentop bus celebrating tdf win. Been frying my head all this morning lol.

"When the world was yours and mine". Composed by Kevin Breathneach and Billy Larkin and sung by Mark Kilbride.

More to the point, who's the New Romantic girl beside the Central Bank, she would be about my age, looks very familiar, but of course it was 30 odd years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Google tells me it's something to do with Caffrey's Big Time Bars, whatever they are.
    You've never had a Big Time! :eek: I was reared on them. They cost about 5p. Essential when you had practically no money as they were so bloody tough they lasted for ages. Yellow packet with a white clock on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You've never had a Big Time! :eek: I was reared on them. They cost about 5p. Essential when you had practically no money as they were so bloody tough they lasted for ages. Yellow packet with a white clock on it.

Oh god those things were awful. Worst bar in the world. Almost impossible to eat.

Raam wrote: »
    Oh god those things were awful. Worst bar in the world. Almost impossible to eat.

No.Texan bars were the worst thing to eat.

Raam wrote: »

My teeth are cringing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My teeth are cringing.
    Should see what it did to Raam - all his hair fell out after one of those;)

Probably not; it probably shrank away back into the scalp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Terrible that he drove off. Might be time for a helmetcam.

Myself and one other were on our way home form the club spin yesterday when a car came up on the outside when a passenger leant out of the window and punched me in the leg. Everyone in the car thought this was brilliant.
    Luckily I caught the make,model and reg number.
    I went up to the Gardai and reported it.
    The Garda who took my report said he was fond of cycling and said he would personally find the owner and give them a warning and inform them he was treating it as assault and dangerous driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's the not even caring if you're alright part that gets me. I was put over the bonnet of a VW Caddy a few years back, I was clipped in so the bike went up and over with me, the ****ing eejit saw a scratch on his bumper, shouted some abuse at me and ****ed off.
    I'm a lover of cars and bikes so I feel like I can say this, Irish drivers are, for the most part, **** when it comes to cyclists. :(

In other news, broke my arm 6 weeks ago and I've obviously been off the bike since, going to see the doctor tomorrow for the final check up and I'm really hoping I'm cleared to get back to training (MMA) and cycling.
    Cracking up at this stage, gained about 3% body fat too. I can't bloody wait to get going again. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Only 2 of us showed up for the club spin this morning so we tagged along with a vets group. Christ the 'elderly' can shift! Looked down at my speedo on a long, flat stretch of road and we were doing 48kph at the front. I want to get old(er, sniff!) and fast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm a lover of cars and bikes so I feel like I can say this, Irish drivers are, for the most part, **** when it comes to cyclists. :(

I'd say that's a fair bit too harsh. I'd say almost everyone here has encountered some psychos, but the vast majority of motorists I encounter are completely normal and decent. Even compared to the UK, I'd say we're much better off, English city roads seem incredibly hostile to me.

• Advertisement

I'd say that's a fair bit too harsh. I'd say almost everyone here has encountered some psychos, but the vast majority of motorists I encounter are completely normal and decent. Even compared to the UK, I'd say we're much better off, English city roads seem incredibly hostile to me.

agree english are notable for close passes, don't get it too often in Ireland. But as you say there are assholes everywhere not just in cars

A bit harsh maybe yeah, the city seems noticeably worse than the suburbs though, I had to cycle conure for a month last year and it almost killed my love of the bike.

What's needed is a clear commercial saying you should stay six feet out from a cyclist when passing. Six feet is something people can envisage, and an ad drumming that in would make it become the custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are they officially removing those death trap "ridges" on the ground for blind people at bus stops now? Or are they going to replace them with even higher, more slippery ridges?;)

https://goo.gl/maps/NvxWx

They vanished after some ice early this year, I was wondering if it took a bad or fatal accident before they decided they were an unbelievable irresponsible & stupid idea. I have nearly come off due to these numerous times.

They are still about on many other bus stops but seem to be removed on the N11 in spots where people would find them most dangerous. That link above shows a place usually teeming with mindless idiots wandering out infront of cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

bcmf wrote: »
    Myself and one other were on our way home form the club spin yesterday when a car came up on the outside when a passenger leant out of the window and punched me in the leg. Everyone in the car thought this was brilliant.
    Luckily I caught the make,model and reg number.
    I went up to the Gardai and reported it.
    The Garda who took my report said he was fond of cycling and said he would personally find the owner and give them a warning and inform them he was treating it as assault and dangerous driving!

Which leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Which leg?
    It happened on the home leg.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Anyone know where I could find some Grand prix 4 seasons 25mm tyres? All the usual suspects seem to be out of stock

Which leg?
    Is this a trick question !?!
    Do you want me to say 'middle leg'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CianRyan wrote: »
    ... Irish drivers are, for the most part, **** when it comes to cyclists. :(
    In my experience, Irish drivers are a lot more cyclist-friendly than other countries I've cycled in (USA, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria). Try cycling in the deep south of the US where many motorists seem to treat cyclists with utter contempt and display it by passing as close as possible even when there is 20 metres width of road available or making a point blank right turn across the cyclists path.

I've cycled in France and Spain and found people are pretty tolerant, I can imagine Deep South USA would be a little mental.
    The Lycra alone would be enough to send them off in sure.

Maybe I've just been on the wrong side of enough people in bad moods.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement