Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've cycled in France and Spain and found people are pretty tolerant, I can imagine Deep South USA would be a little mental.
    The Lycra alone would be enough to send them off in sure.

Maybe I've just been on the wrong side of enough people in bad moods.

France in the country I got little to no trouble, found in towns or built up areas they wherent so patient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be honest, the biggest town I cycled through on France probably had a population of about 150 people, maybe more cows than that.
    The overloaded tractors would put the ****s up you all the same. :p

I was about an hour outside of Tours and I left a couple of days before the classic, all the local clubs were holding smaller racers though which was great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could find some Grand prix 4 seasons 25mm tyres? All the usual suspects seem to be out of stock

Try Bee Cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

rubadub wrote: »
    Are they officially removing those death trap "ridges" on the ground for blind people at bus stops now? Or are they going to replace them with even higher, more slippery ridges?;)

https://goo.gl/maps/NvxWx

They vanished after some ice early this year, I was wondering if it took a bad or fatal accident before they decided they were an unbelievable irresponsible & stupid idea. I have nearly come off due to these numerous times.

They are still about on many other bus stops but seem to be removed on the N11 in spots where people would find them most dangerous. That link above shows a place usually teeming with mindless idiots wandering out infront of cyclists.

The only ones that I've had problems with is when the ridges run in parallel to the cycle path, so the tyre gets stuck in a channel. When they are perpendicular, I've never had problems. They do serve an important function for people with sight loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

RainyDay wrote: »
    The only ones that I've had problems with is when the ridges run in parallel to the cycle path, so the tyre gets stuck in a channel. When they are perpendicular, I've never had problems. They do serve an important function for people with sight loss.

Are the ones perpendicular to the kerb not actually on the footpath rather than the cycle lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Zyzz wrote: »
    Question RE cycling Ireland membership. I've gone through everything and paid, got a 'payment successful' and it's gone from my paypal but it's still saying 'Awaiting payment'..

Is it automatic or does it have to be cleared on their end? :)

Small bump of this if anyone has an answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Have you tried CI or your bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Click harder.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Question RE cycling Ireland membership. I've gone through everything and paid, got a 'payment successful' and it's gone from my paypal but it's still saying 'Awaiting payment'..

Is it automatic or does it have to be cleared on their end? :)

Same thing happened to me this year but my licence was processed without any delays. I think the system sometimes gets hung on the status. No harm in dropping them an email just to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Try e-mailing contactus@cyclingireland.ie. Lawrence is the one that replies and he has been right on the ball 2 times I neede his help with upgrading and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Kinet1c wrote: »
    They don't sell the excursion in Ireland now :( Might have to wait till I'm in the U.S.

Finally sourced from the UK. Not had it out in the rain yet but it's s nice fit and really sturdy. Expensive at €165 but worth every cent.

roverrules wrote: »
    Are the ones perpendicular to the kerb not actually on the footpath rather than the cycle lane?

I kept an eye out this morning, but the only ones I saw were the blister type ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RainyDay wrote: »
    As the other poster said the only perpendicular ones I have come across are not on the cycle tracks.

I wonder how many disabilities/injuries they have actually caused, I would wager they caused more than they prevented, any visually impared people I have come across seem more aware of their surrounds then many sighted people! It would have made far more sense toe have the perendicular ones on the cycle track. I expect there is no need for them to be so prominent for blind people, who I reckon would pick up on a subtle change in paving style quite easily. I have seen safer and more descrete versions of these things, like these.

pavementdimples2.jpg&w=450&h=281&zc=1

If/when these on the spot fines come in I will probably be sticking to the roads anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

The blister type tactile paving is used to denote a road crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Good news I suppose.
    Would hate to think someone would do such a thing intentionally.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/spectator-insists-role-in-loren-rowney-crash-was-unintentional-162366

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

furiousox wrote: »
    Good news I suppose.
    Would hate to think someone would do such a thing intentionally.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/spectator-insists-role-in-loren-rowney-crash-was-unintentional-162366

from watching the video i would think differently
    i dunno about you but if someone tugs my jacket i don't stretch my arm over a railing and wave it around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Oh the excitement. :D

Qi4b26Y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Big mention to Enda in Duff Cycles in Onmi. Changed my stem (myself) Thursday evening, and on the way into work as I passed the Onmi, the bars dropped!

Enda was just at the door before they opened and had a multi tool, which I borrowed and was sorted in a minute.

Thanks again to the guys in Duff Cycles in the Omni Centre in Santry, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jinkypolly wrote: »
    The blister type tactile paving is used to denote a road crossing.
    Seems they were laid correctly here, they are intentionally meant to be parallel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/289245/tactile-paving-surfaces.pdf

I know some would not like the speed bump effect of them being perpendicular so can only figure that is the reason, but these things are lethal in the ice. its like they are make from some sort of paving that freezes easier and becomes extra slippy. They could at least use different paving or have that gritty type coating on top. I see nothing wrong with the speed bump effect, as people usually do slow down, or should if you have anything like the loons I have on my route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactile_paving#Cycle_way_Tactile
    Cycle way Tactile[edit]
    “The purpose of the tactile surface used in conjunction with a segregated shared cycle track/footway is to advise visually impaired people of the correct side to enter. The purpose of the central delineator strip is to help visually impaired pedestrians to keep to the pedestrian side.”

The cycle way tactile comprises a series of continuous raised, flat-topped bars, each 5mm (±0.5mm) high, 30mm wide and spaced 70mm apart. The central delineator strip should be 12 –20mm high, 150mm wide with sloping sides and a flat top of 50mm. The delineator strip should be made of a white material.

The tactile surface should be used on any segregated shared route where the pedestrian side is not physically separated from the cyclist side. The tactile surface should be laid at the beginning and end of the shared segregated route, at regular intervals along its length and at any junctions with other pedestrians or cyclist routes.

more discussion here with people giving reasons why its the way it is, and some agreeing it is dangerous.
    http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/42859/what-is-the-psychology-behind-laying-out-slabs-at-different-angles-for-cyclists

Seems they were laid correctly here, they are intentionally meant to be parallel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/289245/tactile-paving-surfaces.pdf

I know some would not like the speed bump effect of them being perpendicular so can only figure that is the reason, but these things are lethal in the ice. its like they are make from some sort of paving that freezes easier and becomes extra slippy. They could at least use different paving or have that gritty type coating on top. I see nothing wrong with the speed bump effect, as people usually do slow down, or should if you have anything like the loons I have on my route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactile_paving#Cycle_way_Tactile

more discussion here with people giving reasons why its the way it is, and some agreeing it is dangerous.
    http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/42859/what-is-the-psychology-behind-laying-out-slabs-at-different-angles-for-cyclists

See section 1.5.6.2 of http://universaldesign.ie/Built-Environment/Building-for-Everyone/1-External-Environment.pdf for current Irish guidance. They talk about a different type of paving, with different profile and width between strips for cycle lanes, though still parallel (unlike paving for pedestrians which should be perpendicular).

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In a somewhat related note, has anyone any idea why he tactile path bumps on occonell street are all metal of some sort.

They are incredibly slippy with the slightest bit of rain and wouldn't be surprised if they be cost a few falls.

I do hate those ones on cycle paths, having had wheels nearly go under me on them regardless of speed. Solve one problem, but create another is nothing new in the world of planning and design

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I run 25mm Grand Prix 4000s on Aksiums on my winter bike. In prep for the Paris Roubaix sportive I have put 28mm Grand Prix 4 Seasons on Open Pros. Why do the narrower GP 4000s look so much bigger??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Puggy wrote: »
    ....Changed my stem Thursday evening, and on the way into work as I passed the Onmi, the bars dropped!

Enda was just at the door before they opened and had a multi tool, which I borrowed and was sorted in a minute.....
    Two points:

1. If you hadn't been waving so vigorously to get my attention the other evening while I was in gloriously attired in pink boards.ie gear, you wouldn't have loosened your bars.

2. Why didn't you have your own multi-tool? I'll be frisking you before the next club ride - no tool, no ride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'll be frisking you before the next club ride - no tool, no ride!

:pac:

My multi tool was in the wife's saddle bag, literally. I'd left it there the night before. So I was kinda caught short when me bars dropped.

You did look good in pink though ;)

Happy St Patrick's day to you all.

My multi tool was in the wife's saddle bag, literally.

Thank heaven that you clarified that point. Here I was thinking you meant figuratively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Thank heaven that you clarified that point. Here I was thinking you meant figuratively!

i laughed so loud my head literally exploded

lennymc wrote: »
    i laughed so loud my head literally exploded

Probably wasn't much of a mess after that. Literally.

I'm still laughing myself. I'd already posted before I realized that some people might read it differently.

:pac::pac::pac:

According to Strava FlyBy I passed Beasty this morning. I could have been in a coffee shop in Skerries, while my bike waited outside. In which case you passed me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

According to Strava FlyBy I passed Beasty this morning. I could have been in a coffee shop in Skerries, while my bike waited outside. In which case you passed me. :)
    Passed Beasty???
    Seriously unlikely you passed him (unless he was out on a family spin).

More to the point - why a coffee stop on such a short ride!

Passed Beasty???

Sure Beasty is a slow old codger! Anyone could pass him out!

Passed Beasty???

It was an Irish Coffee, given the day that was in it.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Sure Beasty is a slow old codger! Anyone could pass him out!

I think I might be older than him, and slower. Though from a standing start I heard he's slow off the mark, trying to figure out which bike to pick .

I think I might be older than him, and slower. Though from a standing start I heard he's slow off the mark, trying to figure out which bike to pick .

Not to mention that he puts out so much power from standing starts that he snaps chains in half! By the time he gets that fixed you'd be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Tires. Anyone ever use these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-folding-tyre/

Would you get them over the ever reliable Gatorskin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think they're a slightly less expensive version of the GP4000S, though you'd need to consult the Conti website to check the details.

I think they didn't used to contain "Black Chili compound" but now do. Or something.

In any case I'd choose them over Gatorskins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weepsie wrote: »
    In a somewhat related note, has anyone any idea why he tactile path bumps on occonell street are all metal of some sort.
    I imagine for reason of wear - O'Connell street getting so much traffic of all kinds that cast stone bumps would be worn down in a year or so whereas steel ones will probably last ten years.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    from watching the video i would think differently
    i dunno about you but if someone tugs my jacket i don't stretch my arm over a railing and wave it around
    Strangely written article. From the quote my understanding it that he was banging on the hoarding, then turned away and pulled on his son's jacket to get his attention. As he was leaning away and not facing the bikes, his arm was unintentionally sticking out. Seems reasonable. Not sure why it took him a few hours to come forward though. Surely he'd have been aware that someone hit his arm and came down?

Though I suppose if it was malicious he didn't have to come forward at all, it's not like anyone was going to be able to identify him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My 2c worth. I've used these before - set of 2 a few years back that performed faultlessly until I wore them out.

Last set I fitted - 2 side wall blow outs within a few weeks of each other. Replaced them both - had a further side wall blow out last week.

I've replaced them with Gatorskins which I never had any issues with previously (it's for a commuter bike) - a harder ride and some say they are tricky in the wet they're doing two for €64 in Halfords at the moment.
    Lumen wrote: »
    I think they're a slightly less expensive version of the GP4000S, though you'd need to consult the Conti website to check the details.

I think they didn't used to contain "Black Chili compound" but now do. Or something.

In any case I'd choose them over Gatorskins.

The ones I had used the Black Chilli compound which is nice - they're pretty grippy. Probably more so than the Gatorskins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My 2c worth. I've used these before - set of 2 a few years back that performed faultlessly until I wore them out.

Last set I fitted - 2 side wall blow outs within a few weeks of each other. Replaced them both - had a further side wall blow out last week.

I've replaced them with Gatorskins which I never had any issues with previously (it's for a commuter bike) - a harder ride and some say they are tricky in the wet they're doing two for €64 in Halfords at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I've used gators for about 6 years or so and the only complaint I'd have is the wet weather grip. While not shooting the bike out from under you they are certainly a little loser than what is completely comfortable. Can't fault their puncture protection at all. Absolutely bomb proof.

I'm curious on the blow outs. I've never had that on any tyre. Are you seeing it happen in the same circumstances or did you by chance over inflate? If it happened within weeks of each other on pretty new tyres surely Continental would replace as it sounds like a defective product no?

I'm curious on the blow outs. I've never had that on any tyre. Are you seeing it happen in the same circumstances or did you by chance over inflate? If it happened within weeks of each other on pretty new tyres surely Continental would replace as it sounds like a defective product no?

I thought the first time it might have been my fault - over inflation - so I put it down to bad experience. It just blew itself without warning about 2 hours or so after I put the bike away after a commute home - heard the bang from the shed in the house. The force of the blow out cracked the rear crud racer mudguard.:eek:

Was particular with the second tyre in terms of pressure - used a pump with a pressure gauge so it was spot on pressure wise. It didn't actually blow out - I was alerted by a bumping noise going into work one morning, which turned out to the tube protruding the tyre wall and hitting the front forks / mud guard. Could have ended worse. But had failed the same as the first time - the bead looked like it separated from the side all, about a 40mm long rip.

Third time was out of the blue - Ironically we had being discussing it here. Explosive blow out while waiting at the lights. Again, pressure spot on but ripped in the same place.

I contacted Conti who said return to the supplier (in my case chainreactioncycles). they're sitting in my shed - when I get around to wrapping them and posting them I'll see how I get on. CRC usually spot on with defects / warranties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I thought the first time it might have been my fault - over inflation - so I put it down to bad experience. It just blew itself without warning about 2 hours or so after I put the bike away after a commute home - heard the bang from the shed in the house. The force of the blow out cracked the rear crud racer mudguard.:eek:

Was particular with the second tyre in terms of pressure - used a pump with a pressure gauge so it was spot on pressure wise. It didn't actually blow out - I was alerted by a bumping noise going into work one morning, which turned out to the tube protruding the tyre wall and hitting the front forks / mud guard. Could have ended worse. But had failed the same as the first time - the bead looked like it separated from the side all, about a 40mm long rip.

Third time was out of the blue - Ironically we had being discussing it here. Explosive blow out while waiting at the lights. Again, pressure spot on but ripped in the same place.

I contacted Conti who said return to the supplier (in my case chainreactioncycles). they're sitting in my shed - when I get around to wrapping them and posting them I'll see how I get on. CRC usually spot on with defects / warranties.

Have you tried contacting Chainreaction I had a couple of faulty Schwalbe tyres from them a while ago and when I rang them they said that there was a problem with a batch, they sent me out replacements straightaway didn't need to send them back.

As the other poster said the only perpendicular ones I have come across are not on the cycle tracks.

I wonder how many disabilities/injuries they have actually caused, I would wager they caused more than they prevented, any visually impared people I have come across seem more aware of their surrounds then many sighted people! It would have made far more sense toe have the perendicular ones on the cycle track. I expect there is no need for them to be so prominent for blind people, who I reckon would pick up on a subtle change in paving style quite easily. I have seen safer and more descrete versions of these things, like these.

pavementdimples2.jpg&w=450&h=281&zc=1

If/when these on the spot fines come in I will probably be sticking to the roads anyway.
    In fairness, I have heard from disability organisations that they are particularly useful for people with sight loss, though they also cause some difficulty for folks in wheelchairs.
    Weepsie wrote: »

They are incredibly slippy with the slightest bit of rain and wouldn't be surprised if they be cost a few falls.
    The steel ones are terrible - very dangerous in the wet, and not great in the dry either. I just hope other Councils don't start copying this approach.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_nkjmw3llQL1qbw072o1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CAZhvH6WYAAH1G3.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

LondonCyclistsposter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Bad teeth no bar! I'm in!

Oh, wait…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

342380.jpg

I bet Wishbone mocks me again :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

So I've been riding my bike the past two days since I got the doctors nod, grasping the hoods is fine, steering is fine but the jarring from ****tly thorn up roads is actually pretty painful.
    Not sure whether I should try and get used to it as he said I should be alright (I do expect a certain amount of pain in rehab, it was a bad brake) or put the bike away again for another few weeks.
    He did say no boxing still for another 6 weeks, the impact would put too much stress on the injury... Seems similar.

Oh decisions, I should have kept my mountain bike. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement