Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CianRyan was it a shoulder or collarbone break? Have you tried gel bar tape? I found that great for absorbing shock. I use the Cinelli gel cork bartape:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cinelli-gel-cork-bar-tape/rp-prod25854

It's quite squishy and shock absorbent. You can get gel inserts for your bars and drops too, maybe that might help? Or you may need to strengthen the injured are more before cycling? Or build up endurance in the affected area again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

gadetra wrote: »
    CianRyan was it a shoulder or collarbone break? Have you tried gel bar tape? I found that great for absorbing shock. I use the Cinelli gel cork bartape:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cinelli-gel-cork-bar-tape/rp-prod25854

It's quite squishy and shock absorbent. You can get gel inserts for your bars and drops too, maybe that might help? Or you may need to strengthen the injured are more before cycling? Or build up endurance in the affected area again?

Sorry, mentioned on Sunday but forgot to say again, it was my Radius (inner forearm) I broke.

Well I'm a sucker for leather tape, I like how is doesn't end up like a wet nappy and a wet spin so the inserts sound like a good idea! Never crossed my mind to try that. My tape is a little worse for wear these days too, it's about time I changed it anyway.
    Nice one. :)

Yeah, I'm heading back to the gym on Friday morning. I'm hoping that building back the muscle will help the rest. There was surgery so I'm sure what ever muscles lay beneath will need a good bit of work.

I'll add an X-ray pic for the morbidly curious among us. I know I'm one. ;)

Jesus ouch I bet that hurt like fcuk :( how'd you do it? Can you feel your plate? It looks nice and healed in the second pic, and I qualify that with absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever!

Ouch though. Are you sure you should be back in the gym yet? Maybe let it get more tolerant of holding a bit of bodyweight on the bike before lifting heavy gym things/ hitting people? (!)

I was boxing when it happened. Sloppy punch on my part and a God awful block from one of the new guys in the club, I broke my arm because we were both being silly. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I actually hit the same spot twice. First time I shook it off and kept going, second time I collapsed on the ground and there was an audible snap!
    I've broken bones before but this was the worst. I nearly passed out.

My doctor (in Tallaght hospital) advised me to do some light weight training. I'll have my couch/PT with me the whole time. He knows the injury and how to treat to so I'm happy enough to do a little bit.
    No hitting people for another 6 weeks. :p
    No wrestling for another 3 months. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

CianRyan wrote: »
    No hitting people for another 6 weeks. :p
    No wrestling for another 3 months. :(

Stay away from commuting then :)

Hope it all mends. The Cinelli tape is good stuff and the natural cork colour that they offer looks nice. It might be worth swapping out the leather tape for a bit until you are well on the mend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I found the Specialized bar phat tape to be great, the difference it made for a long day in the saddle was incredible, might be worth a look along side the cinelli tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

CramCycle wrote: »
    I found the Specialized bar phat tape to be great, the difference it made for a long day in the saddle was incredible

Me too. Expensive enough for a few pieces of rubbery plastic but I really like it.

Stay away from commuting then :)

Hope it all mends. The Cinelli tape is good stuff and the natural cork colour that they offer looks nice. It might be worth swapping out the leather tape for a bit until you are well on the mend.

Don't know if it's a blessing in disguise but I've no commute to do at the moment. No rage, no danger!
    Interview this evening though so this could change!

Yeah, sleeping on it I may go for some good cork tape. I'll convince myself it's the dry season so I don't feel so bad.
    I do remember it feeling great when it's dry so I'm sure I can live with it for the summer. :)

I've ridden with the cinelli tape I linked in the pouring rain and its absolutely fine. No sponginess, or slipperiness. Rain, hail or shine I fond it grand. It doesn't get waterlogged. Maybe it's the gel in it but It's totally fine in the wet. Pure cork might be different though, but I have never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

For all it's benefits, the Grand Canal cycle path can be absolutely awful. Used it this afternoon to get home. At the stop between the Charlemont Luas bridge, before Portobello, a guy in an SUV saw that the pedestrian light had gone off (I was watching the same sequence) and I pushed down as soon as the green bike light came on. I pulled on my brakes as soon as I realised, but he'd pushed far down on the throttle before he saw me and pulled on his brakes (His light still being red, the bike lane light being green). In the end, he stopped, and my front wheel stopped just before hitting him. He jumped out of his rather lovely Range Rover, shouted at me... realised that I'm 6'4", got back in, and broke the lights to drive on.

I really REALLY don't want to get a camera for my bike. I don't want to be 'that guy', I don't need an extra thing on my bike to worry about or spend money/time on, but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As there is a separate thread on the proposed Liffey Quays cycle way over in Commuting & Transport, it's not worth opening one here. However, if you want to participate in the Council's online survey, it's at http://www.dublincitycycling.ie/blog/?p=1479

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RainyDay wrote: »
    The only ones that I've had problems with is when the ridges run in parallel to the cycle path, so the tyre gets stuck in a channel. When they are perpendicular, I've never had problems. They do serve an important function for people with sight loss.
    roverrules wrote: »
    Are the ones perpendicular to the kerb not actually on the footpath rather than the cycle lane?

Here is a photo of a recently installed system in Lusk at a new housing estate entrance with the grooves in both directions

342497.jpg

Oh FFS, why, oh why, oh why? Two wrongs don't make a right :rolleyes: :mad:

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/organisers-of-ghent-wevelgem-introduce-podium-boys-for-the-womens-race/

The sooner the humans-as-objects nature of this ridiculous, old fashioned, out dated and unnecessary 'tradition' disappears the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

That could easily pass as a satire piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Here is a photo of a recently installed system in Lusk at a new housing estate entrance with the grooves in both directions

They have this system as well in our town. Does anyone know the logic. The long ways strips are in the cycle lane where as the sideways ones are on the path. It's the very same on some of the lanes in the city. Just don't understand why would you put groves like that in a cycle lane.

That said this is still my favorite junction in the whole of Dublin when it's raining. Turning up to go by the theater, 7 shores in the left lane all raw exposed iron. Not one of them covered with that grip stuff. They are also well spread across the lane so you've also no clean line really.

342513.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They have this system as well in our town. Does anyone know the logic. The long ways strips are in the cycle lane where as the sideways ones are on the path. It's the very same on some of the lanes in the city. Just don't understand why would you put groves like that in a cycle lane.
    The theory is that it would tell a visually impaired person an indication that they are on the wrong side of the path i.e. you should walk with the lines horizontal to the direction you should be walking so if the lines are like that on a cycle path, they tell you to GTFO the path.
    That said this is still my favorite junction in the whole of Dublin when it's raining. Turning up to go by the theater, 7 shores in the left lane all raw exposed iron. Not one of them covered with that grip stuff. They are also well spread across the lane so you've also no clean line really.
    Also the fact that half the traffic using that junction seems not to know how traffic lights work because it is an unusually shaped junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Same in my estate and other similarly laid foot paths I've seen.

I can only assume it's some sort of convention for blind people to find the edge of the road with a cane - perpendicular means inside of path, parallel means you're coming towards the road's edge. Fair enough if that's the case, but not great for 23c tyres on a slippy morning :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Unisex cassette? I only wanted the manly version.. pfff..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campagnolo-Chorus-Unisex-Speed-Cassette/dp/B0053ARZZK/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That said this is still my favorite junction in the whole of Dublin when it's raining. Turning up to go by the theater, 7 shores in the left lane all raw exposed iron. Not one of them covered with that grip stuff. They are also well spread across the lane so you've also no clean line

I go through that junction everyday after changing my commute around a bit. It's an interesting one alright! Although maybe not as bad as it seems so long as you take a primary position when entering the junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We run the electricity off the gas, and the gas off the electricity...

Austin_Purcell.jpg

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Who does powertap components in this god forsaken country ? Just need to get a locknut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Junior wrote: »
    Who does powertap components in this god forsaken country ? Just need to get a locknut.

Try Waterford Cycle Centre in Johnstown.

FpoUQuQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It never was about the bike for Lance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Report back from version 1 of the IVCA league launch today

Great presentation by Gary McIlroy focussed particularly on safety issues
    Dirk's attempt to sneak into the league was thwarted, largely by the fact he barely looks half the minimum age...
    Caroline has made the grade this year
    Lenny has been dropped in it by his "referee" and will be starting out in semi-scratch
    There's at least one Boardsie starting his racing career this year who's even older than me
    And finally, they've got my number:

342701.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I am in your group.
    More domestiques for me to abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Coming home from a non cycling week in Italy that included 2 trips to Decathlon, 1 level 9 jersey 2x bibs, matching set of level 7 kit and shoes for my dad. New rain gilet and non cycle related sundries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

?

lawi-bdct-copy-1030x259.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Lenny has been dropped in it by his "referee" and will be starting out in semi-scratch

Yeah, thanks for that Beasty. Remind me to pay you back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Local version: babyskip.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Very good interview by Paul Kimmage of Nicolas Roche in today's Sunday Independent, a great little insight into Roches infatuation with his diet

He said that the difference between 8th/9th and dropping to 13th after stage 11 of the 2014 tour was the bowl of pasta he didn't eat because he was so caught up in his weight

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-on-why-nicolas-roche-is-determined-to-be-his-own-man-in-the-peloton-and-off-the-bike-31085204.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For those feeling guilty after dumping their baby:

5e7uzV.jpg

bcmf wrote: »
    Myself and one other were on our way home form the club spin yesterday when a car came up on the outside when a passenger leant out of the window and punched me in the leg. Everyone in the car thought this was brilliant.
    Luckily I caught the make,model and reg number.
    I went up to the Gardai and reported it.
    The Garda who took my report said he was fond of cycling and said he would personally find the owner and give them a warning and inform them he was treating it as assault and dangerous driving!

Just a follow up!
    Today I received a visit form a different Garda. He was more senior then the one I originally spoke to.
    He apologised to me for the delay in not contacting me sooner.
    He said he had taken 'control' of my statement and found the owner of the car but it was registered to a very well known garage. He is going to visit the garage and inform them of what has happened and said that the garage are under obligation to inform him who had the car at the time.
    He said that he will issue penalty points to the driver and caution them!
    He asked me was I happy with that or did I want to proceed further? I said "once they got the message I was happy enough. If they dont play ball..." The Garda then replied that if they dont seem to take it seriously would I be prepared to take it to court and make a statement as he would be happy to bring it to court.
    "Yep. Fine with me"
    He apologised again for the delay and then started to talk about bikes and started admiring mine and started chatting about cycling and the club.20 mins later he said he'd better go and keep the bikes locked up as plenty are being nicked on an all too regular basis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    Just a follow up!
    Today I received a visit form a different Garda. He was more senior then the one I originally spoke to.
    He apologised to me for the delay in not contacting me sooner.
    He said he had taken 'control' of my statement and found the owner of the car but it was registered to a very well known garage. He is going to visit the garage and inform them of what has happened and said that the garage are under obligation to inform him who had the car at the time.
    He said that he will issue penalty points to the driver and caution them!
    He asked me was I happy with that or did I want to proceed further? I said "once they got the message I was happy enough. If they dont play ball..." The Garda then replied that if they dont seem to take it seriously would I be prepared to take it to court and make a statement as he would be happy to bring it to court.
    "Yep. Fine with me"
    He apologised again for the delay and then started to talk about bikes and started admiring mine and started chatting about cycling and the club.20 mins later he said he'd better go and keep the bikes locked up as plenty are being nicked on an all too regular basis.

He wasn't the local super then ......

LOL.....No. I was tempted to bring raise the issue but decided against it.
    He was however very interested in how we set up VCB and wished us the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

whacker00 wrote: »
    Very good interview by Paul Kimmage of Nicolas Roche in today's Sunday Independent, a great little insight into Roches infatuation with his diet

He said that the difference between 8th/9th and dropping to 13th after stage 11 of the 2014 tour was the bowl of pasta he didn't eat because he was so caught up in his weight

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-on-why-nicolas-roche-is-determined-to-be-his-own-man-in-the-peloton-and-off-the-bike-31085204.html

Found roche interesting in it opened up about using medicines in tt's etc. Still find Kimmages random writing style a pain in the arse at times with his random (insert doping extract)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

manafana wrote: »
    Found roche interesting in it opened up about using medicines in tt's etc. Still find Kimmages random writing style a pain in the arse at times with his random (insert doping extract)

I thought it was very interesting. The random quotes do provide good context, it's a pity the Indo's formatting's so terrible. If I was a journalist it would drive me bananas!

I also would have preferred some description of Nico's demeanor while answering the questions, rather than just what amounts to a plain transcript. Impossible to tell if he's as shifty as his father gets while discussing doping! (I suspect he isn't.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

342854.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BBC Radio 3 does a Composer of the Week programme, and I listened to the Irving Berlin one some years ago. It was staggering how many famous songs he'd written. A one-man Lennon-McCartney, except he produced pretty consistent hits for about thirty years.

Also was very much looked down on by his financier father-in-law, Clarence MacKay, who then had to accept a pension from Berlin after he lost all his money in the Wall Street Crash of 1929 (MacKay lost more than any other individual in the crash).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Don't want to start another thread just for this.

Anyone know anyone who does Carbon Repairs in Dublin that could take a look a possibly damaged frame for me?

My old PX Frame has been hanging up in the shed since I crashed it. Started a clear out at the weekend and remembered it is still there.

Took a few bangs but there are no visible cracks. If it's salvageable I'll turn it into a trainer - if not I need the room in the shed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

daragh_ wrote: »
    Don't want to start another thread just for this.

Anyone know anyone who does Carbon Repairs in Dublin that could take a look a possibly damaged frame for me?

My old PX Frame has been hanging up in the shed since I crashed it. Started a clear out at the weekend and remembered it still there.

Took a few bangs but there are no visible cracks. If it's salvageable I'll turn it into a trainer - if not I need the room in the shed back.

Not affiliated and never used them.
    here is a link to a dublin based repair firm.

http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/carbon-tec-repair-solutions/6104428

Reported a taxi to Traffic Watch for the first time.

Classic punishment pass, perhaps 10cm space while the next lane was more or less clear (going 30kph). Approached the driver at lights only to hear that I should have not been in the bus lane as there was a cycle path next to it.

Very nice operator lady took all the details and advised she will pass the case to a Garda station. I hope they will at least give him a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Had my first fall yesterday.
    Was going straight through one of the roundabouts in phoenix park and a car came straight at me from the road to the left. It managed to stop just before making any contact with me but the distraction of bracing for impact led me directly into the kirb and onto the grass.
    The driver had to go around the round about and stop up the road as someone was directly behind him which was lucky as it gave me time to cool down from the adrenaline. He was very apologetic and made sure I was ok
    I was very lucky to not get injured as I had forgotten my helmet(only noticed half way through my ride as I don't cycle too often, won't be making that mistake again)
    Now all my gears are out of alignment and my back brake is clicking :(

Alek wrote: »

Classic punishment pass, perhaps 10cm space while the next lane was more or less clear (going 30kph). Approached the driver at lights only to hear that I should have not been in the bus lane as there was a cycle path next to it.

Very nice operator lady took all the details and advised she will pass the case to a Garda station. I hope they will at least give him a call.

Theres a free app that you put in the Reg plate and it gives you all the details of the taxi driver.. :cool:

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Not affiliated and never used them.
    here is a link to a dublin based repair firm.

http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/carbon-tec-repair-solutions/6104428

Cheers for the link. There's no way to contact them though. ???

Theres a free app that you put in the Reg plate and it gives you all the details of the taxi driver..

I'll restrain the temptation. For now. 5008_EvilLaughButton_i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Alek wrote: »

They'll give you a call first. YOu'll need to give a statement at the local station, and then the Gardai will approach him. It's a bit of a pain, but it's not an unreasonable approach.

• Advertisement

Everybody chill.

It's all going to be OK thanks to these nice chaps and their imaginary friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement