Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cervelo is for bunch racing/sprinting

DF4 is a slightly smaller frame, with the head tube around 2.5cm shorter allowing a much lower position, and will be set up for TTs/pursuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It's taken four years or so to realise the pain in my legs the morning after a spin is more from lack of stretching than tiredness #slowlearner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

It's taken four years or so to realise the pain in my legs the morning after a spin is more from lack of stretching than tiredness #slowlearner
    # always learning too. Correct food for recovery also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa022102a.htm
    http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

I popped up in on twitter from a study in Liverpool John Moores recently (these are just quick googles, can't find the LJMU study atm).

I am in favour of stretching after exercise if your going to do it or after a decent warm up but I just can't see the benefits before hand. Personally, keeping hydrated and a good warm down would be far more beneficial than stretching IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I do not need to stretch before or after cycling, but when I was running, I was getting a lot of knee / hip pain if I did not stretch properly before the run. Once I started, problems went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm not sure how best describe this, I'm not the arty-farty type but a mate who's a cycle courier in Dublin sent it to me.. It just follows some of the lads about Dublin, its got a great sound track too. Worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Alek wrote: »
    I do not need to stretch before or after cycling, but when I was running, I was getting a lot of knee / hip pain if I did not stretch properly before the run. Once I started, problems went away.

You're doing something wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

tumblr_nlu3b98CQZ1qbw072o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

^^^^
    Ugh, that's hard to watch.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Ugh, that's hard to watch.

Don't worry, the car misses them every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa022102a.htm
    http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

I popped up in on twitter from a study in Liverpool John Moores recently (these are just quick googles, can't find the LJMU study atm).

I am in favour of stretching after exercise if your going to do it or after a decent warm up but I just can't see the benefits before hand. Personally, keeping hydrated and a good warm down would be far more beneficial than stretching IMO.

firm believer in the prefect warm up is doing the activity you preparing to do at a slowly increased pace, same with a cool down, stretching for me is outside of that to increase flexibility etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... its got a great sound track too...
    I presume you're taking the piss? :eek: I gave up after 2 tortuous mins - probably the worst sound track that I have ever heard!

You're doing something wrong there.

No problem cycling 500-750km per month. Why change? :D

Same here, often done that over a weekend without stretching.

In terms of competitive cycling, there does not seem to be any recent study relating to cycling or other similar limited movement sports that indicates stretching beforehand is beneficial in terms of injury reduction or improving performance but plenty indicating the opposite but I would love to read them if they are there*

* I fully admit I have not looked hard and that most sports science papers are indicative but not substantial due to low participant numbers for such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Same here, often done that over a weekend without stretching..
    Me neither - no stretching. I think the last time I stretched was in primary school in the 1970's.

Averaging 350-400k per week and have never had any problems.

• Advertisement

Averaging 350-400k per week

Oh, would you just....

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Decided to draw Chris Froome..

octagon-diagram.jpg

..but seriously I am, first ever drawing of a cyclist..no pressure :|

Ill finish the eyes at some other stage..or just put a stem there..

6o8VD7U.jpg

Edit - it's far from finished I know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Ill finish the eyes at some other stage..or just put a stem there..

6o8VD7U.jpg

Edit - it's far from finished I know :pac:

Chris Froome ate all the pies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Do more, you gotta feel the pain :P

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Chris Froome ate all the pies!

I feel like you're mocking me but Im not sure what for. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone have any tips for stopping cramps in your toes

got one last night when i cliped out at traffic lights was a bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Generally you cramp because you're dehydrated.
    Drink more before a right and try to take in some electrolytes while on the bike.
    A little bit of salt and sugar in the water bottle.

These bad boys came in the post this morning! :D

4VmBOUb.jpg?1

And got this finished! :)

Ejxgl5N.jpg

Would be awesome if he noticed it so I've posted on my instagram, if anyone has an account and have a spare second could they please comment @chrisfroome or @teamsky underneath it and hopefully it'll grab enough attention that he will spot it! (hope that is ok with the mods!)

Link - https://instagram.com/p/0u4wxxwrbY/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Probably best off tweeting him after the day's racing is finished!

Probably best off tweeting him after the day's racing is finished!

Crap, is he racing Catalunya?

Crap, is he racing Catalunya?

Wait till he logs onto his boards.ie account and see that you didn't know, doesn't matter how good your drawings are, his feelings will be hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Wait till he logs onto his boards.ie account and see that you didn't know, doesn't matter how good your drawings are, his feelings will be hurt.

Have you ever seen raam and chris froome in the same room?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Have you ever seen Raam when he's turned sideways?

seen
    raam
    froome
    room

nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Been meaning to post this for a while..

Anyone who cycles thru Balbriggan may have noticed these two, what look like Steel posts at the junction of Drogheda St. and the R122? Well a word of warning..they are not steel. they are made of a foam type material that buckles if you lean against them..

I learnt this the embarrassing way when I decided not to unclip when the lights were red..instead I leaned on one of these posts and fell on my A*se!

Be warned!

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/maps/@53.61082,-6.185097,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxRqokON-upIOI5dXDOxTug!2e0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i actually noticed them one day as padjo5 leaned against them. unfortunately he didnt fall over.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Been meaning to post this for a while..

Anyone who cycles thru Balbriggan may have noticed these two, what look like Steel posts at the junction of Drogheda St. and the R122? Well a word of warning..they are not steel. they are made of a foam type material that buckles if you lean against them..

I learnt this the embarrassing way when I decided not to unclip when the lights were red..instead I leaned on one of these posts and fell on my A*se!

Be warned!

I've done similar with the bendy road dividers down by the National Concert Hall. I've learned the trick is to hold on to them, and lean away.

Or just trackstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

buffalo wrote: »
    I've done similar with the bendy road dividers down by the National Concert Hall. I've learned the trick is to hold on to them, and lean away.

Or just trackstand.

here's another one that almost caught me out..luckily I noticed the "Spring-like" base before leaning against it.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.468063,-6.219495,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfoOi7Fj9UjVtx3AHbvzFOg!2e0

07Lapierre wrote: »
    here's another one that almost caught me out..luckily I noticed the "Spring-like" base before leaning against it.

Yep, they're the ones: https://goo.gl/maps/wPi7R

These bad boys came in the post this morning! :D

4VmBOUb.jpg?1

And got this finished! :)

Ejxgl5N.jpg

Would be awesome if he noticed it so I've posted on my instagram, if anyone has an account and have a spare second could they please comment @chrisfroome or @teamsky underneath it and hopefully it'll grab enough attention that he will spot it! (hope that is ok with the mods!)

Link - https://instagram.com/p/0u4wxxwrbY/

you on twitter?

manafana wrote: »
    you on twitter?

Yup! Although he has 400 odd thousand twitter followers so I doubt it'll reach him :o

Yup! Although he has 400 odd thousand twitter followers so I doubt it'll reach him :o

tweet the team and him might get picked up

manafana wrote: »
    tweet the team and him might get picked up

Done and done :D

• Advertisement

I feel like you're mocking me but Im not sure what for. :confused:

Oh no. Not at all. I greatly admire your talent with the pencil. My post was along the lines of that he looks thinner on tv than in what you drew. Great picture nonetheless. Not mocking you at all.

Have you ever seen Raam when he's turned sideways?

Do you know that his sis-in-law calls him "Toothpick one"?!?!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not mocking you at all.
    No Zyzz - he has others that are much further up his "mocking" list;)

Beasty wrote: »
    No Zyzz - he has others that are much further up his "mocking" list;)

Surprised that you remembered that. What with the crash and all that.

Oh no. Not at all. I greatly admire your talent with the pencil. My post was along the lines of that he looks thinner on tv than in what you drew. Great picture nonetheless. Not mocking you at all.

Gotcha, I'll have to shed some pounds off him :pac:

Gotcha, I'll have to shed some pounds off him :pac:

It's around the jaw line and neck that I think that your Chris Froome is a bit heavy.

• Advertisement

Surprised that you remembered that. What with the crash and all that.
    Crash? What crash:confused::confused:

Beasty wrote: »
    Crash? What crash:confused::confused:

Ah, shag it. I've poked the beast!

Ah, shag it. I've poked the beast!
    Don't worry - won't mention any more crash stories here - I've just posted something related in the Cycling Mods forum mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

gRIFPCa.png

:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement