Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Alek wrote: »
    Reported a taxi to Traffic Watch for the first time.

Classic punishment pass, perhaps 10cm space while the next lane was more or less clear (going 30kph). Approached the driver at lights only to hear that I should have not been in the bus lane as there was a cycle path next to it.

Very nice operator lady took all the details and advised she will pass the case to a Garda station. I hope they will at least give him a call.

I got the same off a taxi driver before too, want to pm his taxi number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

would there be a major difference in going to a from a 25c tires to 23c ones?

would they be less grippy ie. more likely to fall off?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dunworth1 wrote: »
    would there be a major difference in going to a from a 25c tires to 23c ones?

would they be less grippy ie. more likely to fall off?

No but they will be slower and less comfy (situation dependent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A quick question about one day racing licence.
    What date is the last day for use of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

normally first of april

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Came within 2-3 inches of being cleared out this evening, probably the closest since I started cycling. Coming along Morehampton road just past the Donnybrook fair, BMW decides to overtake right turning car by going into the bus lane where I was powering along..Im grateful Im not posting this from the hospital right now. :o

Zyzz wrote: »
    Came within 2-3 inches of being cleared out this evening, probably the closest since I started cycling. Coming along Morehampton road just past the Donnybrook fair, BMW decides to overtake right turning car by going into the bus lane where I was powering along..Im grateful Im not posting this from the hospital right now. :o

I remember the same happening to me awhile ago, swung wide and stayed up right with my elbow close enough to the car that if I stretched out I would have put my fist through the window. I let a shout and the driver stopped.

She told me I came out of nowhere, I told her I was in the bus lane where I had been from town. She then said she looked, and then that she couldn't see me, to which I replied, funny because I saw your face in the rear view mirror right before you turned into me.

I do wish I had been witty and phrased it "I don't know much about physics but...".

From Waterloo Road upto the church in Donnybrook is a treasure trove of drivers who don't slow for maneuvers and don't use rear view mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone else a bit freaked out seeing all their cycle routes in the Graham Dwyer reconstructions on tv atm? Shanganagh park, Varity Reservoir, Roundwood etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit freaked out seeing all their cycle routes in the Graham Dwyer reconstructions on tv atm? Shanganagh park, Varity Reservoir, Roundwood etc...
    He was a mountain biker too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/a-middle-class-professional-with-the-ultimate-double-life-1.2156007

"He was also interested in cycling and mountain-biking. He sometimes cycled to work from his home in Foxrock and went mountain-biking in Co Wicklow, meeting a group for the purpose at the Hellfire Club."

I wonder which group it was?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Lumen wrote: »
    He was a mountain biker

"He was also interested in cycling and mountain-biking. He sometimes cycled to work from his home in Foxrock and went mountain-biking in Co Wicklow, meeting a group for the purpose at the Hellfire Club."

I wonder which group it was?

South Dublin Cyclopaths maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Cycle home along there so can sympathise. Like a mini nürburgring. Drivers react to stimuli as they race to the finish line....looking and indicating etc is temporarily ignored for that section of road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ryder wrote: »
    Cycle home along there so can sympathise. Like a mini nürburgring. Drivers react to stimuli as they race to the finish line....looking and indicating etc is temporarily ignored for that section of road

That race to the next red light is never over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

Just heard an ad on the radio from Rathfarnham Ford offering motorists concessions on their road tax. Road tax mentioned twice in the one ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Just heard an ad on the radio from Rathfarnham Ford offering motorists concessions on their road tax. Road tax mentioned twice in the one ad.

First post?.....It must have really upset you! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

First post?.....It must have really upset you! :P

Yeah - as a grumpy old man I just couldn't help myself. I even e mailed them to point out their mistake. I am not expecting a reply any time soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I know that in the UK usage of "road tax" in adverts has been challenged, but the usage was upheld. Presumably on the grounds of car manufacturers buy a lot of advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Probably snake oil, and I don't know enought to rebut this. Some keo look cleated pedals with 23mm float, they claim it lets you use more muscles when pedalling?

http://www.outsideonline.com/1927651/will-these-pedals-make-you-faster

Any more knowledgeable soul care to comment?

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Been using commutourer for my ridiculously short commute lately as the singlespeed had to have it's rear cantis removed with the help of a hammer.

Was grateful for every single aspect of it on the quick drudge home in the wind and spitting rain tonight, full mudguards, low-low profile in the drops, low acceleration due to the clunky 8spd mtb/hybrid drivetrain, well worn in v-brakes for just the right level of non grabby stopping and a nice sluggish response to losing traction when some kind motorist forced me over a patch of three wet telecoms hatches, even the pannier provided a helpful counterweight for flicking the bike back into line.

Still want to replace her with a CX bike though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

343585.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Jawgap wrote: »
    343585.jpg

Is that Tony Martin off the front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Is that Tony Martin off the front?

His granda.

What is the protocol for getting a polite motorist who is waiting a respectful distance behind you to come closer so they can trigger the induction coil for the traffic lights so both of you can go home?

It's essentially unspoken communication and pointing at the ground and mouthing "induction coil", unsurprisingly, does not bear fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What is the protocol for getting a polite motorist who is waiting a respectful distance behind you to come closer so they can trigger the induction coil for the traffic lights so both of you can go home?

It's essentially unspoken communication and pointing at the ground and mouthing "induction coil", unsurprisingly, does not bear fruit.

I tend to either roll on if there's space or sidle back to them and explain the workings of the system.

• Advertisement

Give them the finger and a few curse words, they roll forward to confront you, lights go green..you cycle off, happy days??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I normally position myself just ahead of the induction coil in the hope a car will roll up directly behind me. If they're waiting too far back, I try to make it visibly clear that I am edging forward in the hope they may follow suit.

Give them the finger and a few curse words, they roll forward to confront you, lights go green..you cycle off, happy days??

Your solution showed the most lateral thinking. There may be a flaw in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

I wave them forward and point at the ground where the coil is. When they move forward enough, give them the stop sign and a thumbs up.

I do like Zyzz's solution though, the element of danger brings a whole new level!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've said this before, but in all my years cycling I've yet to come across a set of lights that didn't change because of induction coils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

I've said this before, but in all my years cycling I've yet to come across a set of lights that didn't change because of induction coils.

the right turn at the end of the long mile road onto walkinstown road needs a car to go green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I've had problems a few times recently with not setting off the lights on the Dodder Park Road (R112) eastbound, turning right for Rathfarnham village. Cars sitting back at the stop line too instead of moving up to the coil in the road so I end up in the junction on red with cars heading west still on green...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They've gotten a lot better since the early ones. There was an early one when coming from Chapelizod trying to get onto the N4 that wouldn't even be triggered by motorbikes.

buffalo wrote: »
    I wave them forward and point at the ground where the coil is. When they move forward enough, give them the stop sign and a thumbs up.
    I have tried that, but their facial expression turns confused and then pained. They don't actually move.

I can usually trigger the lights myself, but I had an unusual set of circumstances the other day where I missed my chance to trigger the light and couldn't get the car behind to do it.

IFSC crossroads - doubly annoying because they'll skip part of the sequence if the Luas goes through. You can be left waiting through three sequences if the Luases are so timed.

Also, last week at the corner Stephen's Green going straight onto Earlsfort Terrace, I was skipped. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Right turn into Charlestown off N2, sat through a couple of light changes when it's busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Either end of my road. I can usually trigger them by riding along the edge of the coil.
    I can usually trigger the lights myself, but I had an unusual set of circumstances the other day where I missed my chance to trigger the light.

And the notion of going backwards to try again???... :)

I once tried this, as soon as I had clarified what I had meant the light went green without them, therefore leaving them think I am an idiot and that the little black rectangles do not mean what they do mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Last week I was skipped for a couple of sequences trying to turn left from Scholarstown Rd. to Edmonstown Rd. It only turned green when a car came up behind me.

I wonder if that junction has ever caused confusion - they left the stop sign there when they put the traffic lights in, so even with a full green you've to stop, right? :p
    Right turn into Charlestown off N2, sat through a couple of light changes when it's busy.
    That's one I've had to lie my bike sideways on to get it to trigger a couple of times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never changed my brake pads before (bike shop stuck some on before). I'm looking at CRC and there seems to be some with just the pad, some have metal attached and some are different shapes? Would something like this do on a specialized allez sport? Not sure which ones fit which bikes or if they all do etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe/rp-prod55815

• Advertisement

Perfect strava hunting weather, not sure I have the morale to face the headwind. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Would something like this do on a specialized allez sport? Not sure which ones fit which bikes or if they all do etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe/rp-prod55815

Those will fit your bike. If your bike has a 105 or higher groupset then it will already have holders and you can just buy the inserts - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clarks-52mm-replacement-cartridge/rp-prod35441 and save yourself a couple of quid.

I doubt you have holders though. Have a look and see if there's a tiny allen keyed screw on the metal bit holding the brake pad. If there is you unscrew that to swap the pad.

Tiagra and below groupsets have them as single piece things where you can't get inserts. So getting a holder like the clarkes ones above will let you just replace the inserts in the future and re-use the holder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Awesome thanks, I have sora so probably have a one-piece. Will have a look. Also no idea what the bike shop stuck in. Anyway that's that sorted!

Not too bad getting the holders as there are 4 pads with it for spares.

According to this, Ireland/UK is one of the windiest places in the world at the moment! :pac:

..theres a hurricane above Australia at the minute which is pretty cool to look at!

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=17.83,28.64,403

CramCycle wrote: »
    I once tried this, as soon as I had clarified what I had meant the light went green without them, therefore leaving them think I am an idiot and that the little black rectangles do not mean what they do mean.
    This is starting to sound very similar to what happened to me the other day!

cdaly_ wrote: »
    And the notion of going backwards to try again???... :)
    Would have involved wheeling the bike backwards and hoping the driver behind didn't suddenly decide that she would, after all, drive forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

buffalo wrote: »

These ones are pretty cool too, and their twitter account is worth a follow - http://procyclingtrumps.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

These ones are pretty cool too, and their twitter account is worth a follow - http://procyclingtrumps.com/

think there different makers was going suggest procyclingtrumps might interest you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi Folks

Trying to change the cassete on my bike. Told I need a long cage rear mech. Finding it a bit tough to find a 105 9 speed rear mech so was thinking, would I be just as good finding an XT / XTR 9 speed rear mech and using that ?

Shifters are Tiagra STI shifters.

Would it work ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement