Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It'd work. My 9 speed sora shifter hybrid has a deore derailleur. It's the shifters that control the indexing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

quozl wrote: »
    .. Have a look and see if there's a tiny allen keyed screw on the metal bit holding the brake pad. If there is you unscrew that to swap the pad....
    It can be a bitch to unscrew those bloody tiny allen screws when they are tight without 'ringing' them. I've destroyed a few and had to end up getting pads and new shoes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've said this before, but in all my years cycling I've yet to come across a set of lights that didn't change because of induction coils.

I've said this before, but the lights beside Murrays pub in Lusk have not changed for me before because of induction coils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Also, last week at the corner Stephen's Green going straight onto Earlsfort Terrace, I was skipped. :(

9h3kp4.jpg

Caught there a few times myself when there was no bus in the outer lane or coming down Earlsfort Terrace. Highlighted the induction lines in red (photo only I'm afraid) and they seem to work fine once you line a wheel up with one of them.
    Reported it to DCC on one of the online complaints sites but never heard back from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hampton-illinois-bike-path-sign.jpg
    ‘Stop pooping on the bike path’ sign is intended for humans
    Tuesday 31 Mar 2015

People are gross.

A US town is being plagued by a mystery pooper who keeps squatting in the middle of a bike path.

The epidemic is so bad that officials have erected a sign in Hampton, Illinois, that reads: ‘Stop pooping on the bike path.’

A fair order.

Scott McKay, of Hampton’s Public Works, told WQAD: ‘Animals don’t carry toilet paper and then stuff it on top.

‘It’s pretty nasty. We’ve got enough goose crap on the bike path, let alone humans.’

Locals are bemused as to why some people are choosing to release their bowels all over the path when a perfectly fine toilet is located nearby.

Runner Mitchell Jankowski said: ‘I know on long runs sometimes people have to hold it for a while, but I’ve never thought of carrying toilet paper and just squatting on the road.’
    http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/31/stop-pooping-on-the-bike-path-sign-is-intended-for-humans-5128689/?ito=v-a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Came across an addon for chrome called Stravaplus.

Might be of use to some people here.

However...

Doritos Heatwave crisps and Supervalu Hummus (the three small pot combo of Normal, Lemon and Pepper) is just the best thing I have discovered, this year.

Remember, you can cycle this "off" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

You can play pac man on google maps in certain locations it seems.
    try I'arc de triomphe...

there are others given as clues you'll see an insert coin option in the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Trying to change the cassete on my bike. Told I need a long cage rear mech. Finding it a bit tough to find a 105 9 speed rear mech so was thinking, would I be just as good finding an XT / XTR 9 speed rear mech and using that ?

Shifters are Tiagra STI shifters.

Would it work ?

This 10sp rear mech might do you. One review mentions using it for 9sp without problem. Also, you probably don't need a long cage on a road bike. A medium cage should be enough for a triple.

I have a med cage 105 mech on my 9sp giant wth no problem. I cannot remember if it is 9 or 10sp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It can be a bitch to unscrew those bloody tiny allen screws when they are tight without 'ringing' them. I've destroyed a few and had to end up getting pads and new shoes. :(

You can get a grip on these screws with a visegrip, and then unscrew them.

I've said this before, but in all my years cycling I've yet to come across a set of lights that didn't change because of induction coils.

There's a set of lights in Termonfeckin, that won't change for my bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This 10sp rear mech might do you. One review mentions using it for 9sp without problem. Also, you probably don't need a long cage on a road bike. A medium cage should be enough for a triple.

I have a med cage 105 mech on my 9sp giant wth no problem. I cannot remember if it is 9 or 10sp.

I have a 10spd tiagra rear mech on my 9 spd sora commuter. The rear mech doesnt care how many gears you have. All that matters is the shifters.

There's a set very close to my house that defaults to the other direction unless certain vehicles approach. It's generally busy so not a problem but very occasionally if I'm out very early and there's no motorised traffic about, I have to sneak through on red.

It also happens when motorists stop short of the coil. Many look confused when I beckon them to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Robbed this from cycling tips this morning, its timed to start on the amazing cyclocross skill

https://youtu.be/k1rnwc1AtZ4?t=36

37sec in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have had a GP4000II on the rear of my single speed commuter for the last year or there abouts. Covered about 5k with it and had little issue. Noticed last week that the tire had started to crack and look like the rubber was starting to perish, never mind the gashes present all over the tire. I decided I would give it another week and change on the Easter weekend.

Then comes my commute home yesterday, made it from Fairview to Rathmines and was just passing another singlespeed and I was looking very smug with my effortless speed and prowess when I hear....Ppsssssssssssssssssssss from my rear tire...:( queue pulling over and having to walk the bike the 20 minutes home so I could throw on a new Rubino Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Taken from twitter but a brilliant think before you drink campaign.

343737.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

manafana wrote: »

Seen this before, but thanks for the "I want to run away" tune. Forgot to mute the speakers and made half of the office laugh. They appreciate the message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Alek wrote: »
    Seen this before, but thanks for the "I want to run away" tune. Forgot to mute the speakers and made half of the office laugh. They appreciate the message :)

is there a abbreviation for contains loud music? CLM?

How about those skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

;-)

Skills? They're awesome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

How about those skills?

Impressive.

I can't even track-stand! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It has to be an April fools prank but there is a speaker on Pat Kenny asking for the same lee way to be given to Fast Food Delivery people as is given to Ambulances and Fire Brigade services.

If it is, he is a good actor, if its real, WOW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lifepaint by volvo, their new safety spray in a can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

interesting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent. Yet another thing motorists can use as an excuse not to pay attention - "I didn't see you, you weren't wearing any life paint". Way to go Volvo for yet again removing the onus on motorists to look out their windows and use their mirrors and common sense and care.:rolleyes:

Having said all that, I think it's a good innovation, and when we're eventually forced to wear hi viz it's at least a less obtrusive solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

My new bike has arrived. The bad news is I have a broken clavicle so I'm not allowed ride it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Was cycling to work this morning on the old airport road between Swords Pavillions and Pinnock hill and I can across a crash involving a cyclist. A Car was pulled up with a head sized hole in the middle of the shattered rear window and a cyclist was stood at the back of the car, unhurt but shaken it would seem, fixing up his nice shiney Planet X N2A which appeared to have only suffered some hood misalignment. I really couldn't figure out for the life of me how this crash happened. Answers on a postcard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The cyclist was drafting the car, the car braked, the cyclist didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Taken from twitter but a brilliant think before you drink campaign.

343737.jpg

Go Brazilian marketing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

lifepaint by volvo, their new safety spray in a can

Not a bad idea.....may be more acceptable to some than wearing a yellow flapping vest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Volvo should stick to designing cars..........Oh wait they suck at that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Watching 3 Days de Panne..cyclist takes terrible line during the time trial and bursts his rear tube..gets off bike and lets it hit the ground :|

And here I am apologising to my bike if I accidentally hit one of the shifters :o

Zyzz wrote: »
    Watching 3 Days de Panne..cyclist takes terrible line during the time trial and bursts his rear tube..gets off bike and lets it hit the ground :|

And here I am apologising to my bike if I accidentally hit one of the shifters :o

Dont loan your bike to this guy!

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-jack-bauer-throws-his-bike-away-at-gent-wevelgem-is-this-the-best-one-ever/

You'd better hope that Beasty doesn't see that post. You'll be up for special attention after the next mods meeting for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Volvo engines are a thing of beauty in terms of their layout and intelligence compared to any other modern car I have worked on.

Their modern car design is also nice, IMO, their old cupboard on wheels design, not so much.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Volvo engines are a thing of beauty in terms of their layout and intelligence...
    ....but totally unreliable in my experience. I had one once and it put me off them for life. By a long margin the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

....but totally unreliable in my experience. I had one once and it put me off them for life. By a long margin the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned.
    Buy a Citroen and singlehandedly repair the finances of your local dealer service department.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had an XC 90 for 7 years, now have an XC 60 - never a bother from either. Father in law is still drivig the V70 I gave to him in 2007 - that'll be 14 years old now (only reason I let it go was it was dual fuel and there is very few places to get the gas over here)

The other benefit is no-one ever dreams of even attempting to nick them ....

Hedging my bets on eBay, for an item that was listed twice...

I won both.

Bollix :(

Super bollix :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

What was it?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    What was it?

I'll tell you later tomorrow, as there is another item I am bidding on and I'd rather not bid against everyone here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You'd better hope that Beasty doesn't see that post. You'll be up for special attention after the next mods meeting for that.

Ah sure everybody has their flaws!.....At least he's got good taste in bicycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

reckon it will give bradley the edge. im not so sure

img_1926_670.jpg

I'll tell you later tomorrow, as there is another item I am bidding on and I'd rather not bid against everyone here :)

It's all gone pear shaped.

Still, I picked up a Shimano FC-6800 Ultegra road bike crank 52/36 170mm for 126 dabs.

Good value tbh.

There is however, a load of misery coming my way with the previous nights purchases :(

OldBean wrote: »
    Surreal
    Creepy! :confused:

Still, I picked up a Shimano FC-6800 Ultegra road bike crank 52/36 170mm for 126 dabs.

Good value tbh.

Tell us what a dab is and we can let you know if it's good value or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

126 dab radios? Unless you are getting them for small money it is not a great value :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement