Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

lennymc wrote: »
    Ive tried a few dublin LBSs over the years but have never found anywhere that had anything that long in stock.

Are we still talking valves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Anyone know of any places in Dublin that have 80mm tubes in stock? Tried Cycleways but they were out and sort of need them asap..aka not ordering online :pac:

I have some! Got them in Humphries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm sneaking this in here too in case people don't read the women's thread:
    http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=womens-accreditation-sundrive

Ladies, get thee to Sundrive tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cosmo Catalano seems to be winding up his weekly bike show. Says he'll do a HTRWW for Roubaix and LBL, after that it's who knows.

Sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Terrible reporting on this video of a desperate puppy trying to keep ambulance men away from its badly injured master after a cycling accident

http://bbcnewsday.com/world-news/loyal-puppy-refuses-to-let-anyone-near-its-injured-and-drunk-owner/#axzz3WnslYEnz

Apart from that flinchworthy "it's", the report doesn't seem to say where it happened, or the names of anyone involved. It assumes that the cyclist is drunk, without any evidence I can see - he could be concussed.

What a great little dog.

My cat would have taken my wallet & bike and left me for dead.

Fact.

bettn4.jpg

:/

It doesn't look like it would but that's it's "innocence" face.

As in "OH I don't know who knocked everything off the table, even though you weren't burgled." "Maybe you have poltergeists?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That looks like an old school dot matrix printer behind it.

Unknown Soldier your cat is AWESOME!

We must bow to feline kind, for they are our real overlords :D

gadetra wrote: »
    Unknown Soldier your cat is AWESOME!

We must bow to feline kind, for they are our real overlords :D

This is you...

344775.png

^^^^ I can only dream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My cat would have taken my wallet & bike and left me for dead.

Fact.

We had a cat a few years ago now, she was great, we even got her a collar with camouflage colours and a bell. The bell lasted 20 minutes, and she returned proudly with a new dead bird. She was the equivalent of a teenager with a belt skirt and hoop earrings chewing gum when we got home to find what you describe.

This thread needs more pictures of your cat.

/reminiscing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

zerks wrote: »
    Widow of cyclist killed after hitting a pothole on Land's End to John O'Groats charity ride wins six-figure compensation payout

I've been trying for almost a year to get the Council to mend the increasing holes and rifts in Leinster Road, leading from Rathmines to Harold's Cross.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

zerks wrote: »
    It's very rare for a pothole to result in the death of a cyclist and I've not heard of any such incidents in Ireland. I am aware of a 5 figure payout to a Boardsie for serious injuries caused by a very bad "road repair".

In this case the authorities were fully aware of the pothole but had taken no action to deal with it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been trying for almost a year to get the Council to mend the increasing holes and rifts in Leinster Road, leading from Rathmines to Harold's Cross.
    You might just want to link them to that article. There is always going to be a resource issue though and ultimately they have to weigh up the costs of repairs against risk of serious injury or death (and resultant claim, which they will have insurance to cover)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Every second cyclist in wicklow today wearing gabba jerseys, did I miss a sale or something??? #norecessionaroundhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is it just me or are arse-savers starting to more and more like spanking paddles?

RRP%20Rear%20Guard.jpg

Every second cyclist in wicklow today wearing gabba jerseys, did I miss a sale or something??? #norecessionaroundhere

How many did you see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How many did you see?

2 cyclists

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    Is it just me or are arse-savers starting to more and more like spanking paddles?

I'll defer to your expertise on "spanking paddles" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'll defer to your expertise on "spanking paddles" ...
    When you say "defer"...are you submitting to me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    When you say "defer"...are you submitting to me?

Yes Sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Beasty wrote: »
    It's very rare for a pothole to result in the death of a cyclist and I've not heard of any such incidents in Ireland. I am aware of a 5 figure payout to a Boardsie for serious injuries caused by a very bad "road repair".

In this case the authorities were fully aware of the pothole but had taken no action to deal with it.

Local Authorities don't have to repair potholes that develop, even if they are aware of it.

You only have a case against them where they carry out defective works. If road fails due to wear and tear, no case. Defective work could be a previous repair, original substandard construction etc.

It's often much cheaper to just leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I would have killed for my boards defender today.

Hailstones...

ford2600 wrote: »
    Local Authorities don't have to repair potholes that develop, even if they are aware of it.

You only have a case against them where they carry out defective works. If road fails due to wear and tear, no case. Defective work could be a previous repair, original substandard construction etc.

It's often much cheaper to just leave it.
    They have no obligation to repair if they are not notified. However we've discussed this point before - once they become aware of a problem even if apparently due to "wear and tear" they risk being sued if they don't take reasonable action to prevent an accident (which could be by repairing or putting in place an appropriate warning). I\m pretty sure there was a court case about which made it clear they must be aware of a hazard to be potentially liable.

The reason they may not take appropriate preventative action is their experience of actual claims may suggest it is cheaper to leave the hazard in place and suffer the consequences should anything go wrong (which is likely to be covered by their insurance, although any authority building up a track record of such claims is likely to face increased premiums reflecting their "record")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I saw several on the start line of the Ardattin 200 Audax today.
    Beasty wrote: »
    ....The reason they may not take appropriate preventative action is their experience of actual claims may suggest it is cheaper to leave the hazard in place and suffer the consequences should anything go wrong (which is likely to be covered by their insurance, although any authority building up a track record of such claims is likely to face increased premiums reflecting their "record")
    Several years ago, when bringing a similar matter to the attention of a very senior manager of my employer (the HSE), he said that it was easier to settle any resulting claims than to rectify the hazard causing the claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I saw several on the start line of the Ardattin 200 Audax today.

Was that yourself in the Swords kit yesterday?

Was that yourself in the Swords kit yesterday?
    Yup - that was me! :)

Several years ago, when bringing a similar matter to the attention of a very senior manager of my employer (the HSE), he said that it was easier to settle any resulting claims than to rectify the hazard causing the claims.

The HSE have form there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yup - that was me! :)

Sorry for not saying hello but I didn't know it was yourself. :o
    I caught up with you on those sharp little climbs before we dropped down onto the N11. Then got in some TT practice on the main road back to bray.

• Advertisement

Sorry for not saying hello but I didn't know it was yourself. :o
    I caught up with you on those sharp little climbs before we dropped down onto the N11. Then got in some TT practice on the main road back to bray.
    Didn't realise it was yourself either! I took a wrong turn somewhere there and had to backtrack a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It has occurred to me that the whole Strava "climbing" thing is pile of bollix.

How can 5 people doing the same route have a differential of 200 meters?

I'm thinking the camber in the road is not that bad, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Fingal CC gritter just went past my house laying down grit/salt.
    They must have a pile of salt taking up space in one the yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

It has occurred to me that the whole Strava "climbing" thing is pile of bollix.

How can 5 people doing the same route have a differential of 200 meters?

I'm thinking the camber in the road is not that bad, tbh.

The device being used makes a huge difference. An altimeter like on the Garmins should be more accurate, but I regularly get funny figures on my 510...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

xebec wrote: »
    The device being used makes a huge difference. An altimeter like on the Garmins should be more accurate, but I regularly get funny figures on my 510...

yeah my 510 is terrible lately for meters climbed only corrects when uploaded.

....How can 5 people doing the same route have a differential of 200 meters?....
    Temperature also gives inconsistencies. In group rides I've often noticed that my 500 usually gives a temperature about 3 degrees higher than those using a 510, 800, 810.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Rode out to Stamullen in the pouring rain this morning, sat around for awhile, wished team mates luck. Got a phone call from GF wondering where I was, as was to be in town... total amnesic attack... one never disappoints one's lady... in other words, I panicked and rode as hard as I could back to Ballymun. Strava says 12 PRs and notified me of a KOM I wasn't aware of. Still, I won't be keeping her waiting again. Totally not worth it (she was totally cool about it, but I thought my heart was going to give up the ghost on the descent into Ballyboughal).

... I panicked and rode as hard as I could back to Ballymun...
    Have you never phoned ahead to say that you have just 'punctured' and may be delayed for a bit. ;)

Have you never phoned ahead to say that you have just 'punctured' and may be delayed for a bit. ;)

I lie poorly.

bcmf wrote: »
    Fingal CC gritter just went past my house laying down grit/salt.
    They must have a pile of salt taking up space in one the yards.
    You've just put the kaibosh on it - there'll be black ice all over the place in the morning (forecast is for at or near freezing). Hopefully this post will rebalance everything....

one never disappoints one's lady..

Rule #11 // Family does not come first. The bike does.
    Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

In future keep her waiting and finish your spin .......

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Rule #11 // Family does not come first. The bike does.
    Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

In future keep her waiting and finish your spin .......

I always finish the spin. Also, Kelly's famous saddle sore may have done something to that area down there, cos my priorities are... Y'know... That area down there and the things I like using that area for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@RobFowl. The spare bed in my house is made up and ready for ya in case Mrs. Rob Fowl ever ventures into your shed again. You can't sleep in the shed cause all the free space is taken up by bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A great post here by Chris Juul Jensen on the vanity of pro cycling - http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/vanity-pro-cyclist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Never realised he grew up in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

ThisRegard wrote: »

He was in Sorrento CC as a kid. Love the blogs on Rouleur.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

bcmf wrote: »
    @RobFowl. The spare bed in my house is made up and ready for ya in case Mrs. Rob Fowl ever ventures into your shed again. You can't sleep in the shed cause all the free space is taken up by bikes

Surely you should put the bikes in the house and Robfowl in the shed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ThisRegard wrote: »

sorento cc i think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

manafana wrote: »
    sorento cc i think??

His da was a savage MTB racer too...

Liveline posts moved here

deleted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement