Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    That's horrible to watch as the guy with the camera carefully puts his bike aside instead of helping his friend to get off the road... :mad:
    The bike comes first Alek!
    (Rule 11)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FH7kKks.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Thargor wrote: »
    FH7kKks.gif

see now, he indicated but never checked over shoulder as the lane was only opening up, the truck seemed to cut over into the lane early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

manafana wrote: »
    see now, he indicated but never checked over shoulder as the lane was only opening up, the truck seemed to cut over into the lane early

Easy thing to happen, there should be no cars/trucks there. Truck was under taking them at speed on hard shoulder. Looking at the full clip on live leak you can see that road is being used by cyclist a lot so it's not a case that they were there all of a sudden. Truck driver was just acting like a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

If anyone seen a struggling cyclist on a hybrid, dash into the bushes at St.Annes Park and coming out covered in a cold sweat I hope you didn't call the guards for me!

345395.jpg

Ah, I passed you just before your dash to the bushes! Probably would have been around 5:30ish just before the wooden bridge. I copped your Led Zep IV symbols tat and thought to myself you were clearly a man with good taste in music!

Sorry to hear you were poorly. Get well soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Thargor wrote: »
    FH7kKks.gif

Cycledub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

the truck seemed to cut over into the lane early

Yeah, looks like the truck cut across the solid lines and jumped the lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ah, I passed you just before your dash to the bushes! Probably would have been around 5:30ish just before the wooden bridge. I copped your Led Zep IV symbols tat and thought to myself you were clearly a man with good taste in music!

Sorry to hear you were poorly. Get well soon!

Yup, that was me on my cycle from hell. I actually jumped into a taxi not far from where you seen me. By that stage I was walking and shivering with the bike.

Just had the doctor out to the house and off work for two days with gastroenteritis.

Well done on recognizing Zepp IV ~ usually when I'm asked (clearly NOT by a Zepp fan) I tell people they're crop circles lol.. The other tattoo is two Judo fighters, one throwing the other.

Yup, that was me on my cycle from hell. I actually jumped into a taxi not far from where you seen me. By that stage I was walking and shivering with the bike.

Just had the doctor out to the house and off work for two days with gastroenteritis.

Well done on recognizing Zepp IV ~ usually when I'm asked (clearly NOT by a Zepp fan) I tell people they're crop circles lol.. The other tattoo is two Judo fighters, one throwing the other.

When I passed you I presumed the judo one was some sort of kanji but when I saw your photo I noticed it was 2 fighters. I recognised the Led Zep ones wayyyyy back before I caught up with you!
    Now that I can recognise you, next time I'll say hi (or rub your back and make soothing "there, there - that's it, get it all up" noises!!:p).

Hope you're feeling better and back in the saddle soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Avoid seeing the Giant All Road again just in case.

• Advertisement

When I passed you I presumed the judo one was some sort of kanji but when I saw your photo I noticed it was 2 fighters. I recognised the Led Zep ones wayyyyy back before I caught up with you!
    Now that I can recognise you, next time I'll say hi (or rub your back and make soothing "there, there - that's it, get it all up" noises!!:p).

Hope you're feeling better and back in the saddle soon!

If its over the next day or two I'd avoid staying downwind of me!!.

Realistically I can't see myself back on the bike for a few days, I'm still in bed and no more than 15 seconds from the loo :(

What were you riding btw?.. I was on the phone at the time and joking to my OH that everyone was overtaking me, at one stage two joggers ran by lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

FFS, when they’re not shoaling we get this:

I dont’t want to carp on :rolleyes: about it, but I think they should learn to share the river

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If anyone seen a struggling cyclist on a hybrid, dash into the bushes at St.Annes Park and coming out covered in a cold sweat I hope you didn't call the guards for me!..
    years back, i unwisely decided to cycle up the cruagh road after about six months off the bike. just after the left turn which would take you over towards johnny fox's, i had to bail off the bike and sit with my head between my knees at the side of the road. a minute or so later, a german reg volkswagen camper van came up the road, indicated and pulled in to (i assume) ask me directions. just as he was winding his window down, i rather abruptly decorated the side of the road. i've never seen someone wind up a window so quickly and floor it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FFS, when they’re not shoaling we get this
    I can just sense the pleasure the Daily Fail drone got when discovering that the carp were Asian immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ramps-to-divide-walkers-and-cyclists-on-dublin-bay-route-1.2178871 (Irish Times - paywall)

Pedestrian ramps to stop walkers wandering into the path of cyclists are included in new redesign proposals for the Dublin Bay cyclepath.
    Fine Gael Cllr Naoise O Muirí has been seeking safety measures on the cyclepath for the last two years following collisions where pedestrians were hurt.
    “There were two incidents, one where a schoolboy was hit by a cyclist and another where a senior citizen was knocked down. I welcome the changes which will segregate cyclists from pedestrians more, but cyclists need to get into their heads that they need to yield to pedestrians.”

If its over the next day or two I'd avoid staying downwind of me!!.

Realistically I can't see myself back on the bike for a few days, I'm still in bed and no more than 15 seconds from the loo :(

What were you riding btw?.. I was on the phone at the time and joking to my OH that everyone was overtaking me, at one stage two joggers ran by lol

Ah nasty. Make sure you keep getting the fluids into you.

I was on the hybrid - a white Giant. Clad in black lycra with a red Osprey backpack & white Kask lid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ramps-to-divide-walkers-and-cyclists-on-dublin-bay-route-1.2178871 (Irish Times - paywall)

Pedestrian ramps to stop walkers wandering into the path of cyclists are included in new redesign proposals for the Dublin Bay cyclepath.

The cyclist's friend (:rolleyes:), Finian McGrath, was banging on about this recently too. Linky
    Dublin Bay North TD Finian McGrath (Ind) has welcomed the city council’s plan to tackle the problem “before someone is killed”.
    To be fair, there are lots of issues with that stretch that need to be addressed. Despite the populist scaremongering and hysteria that our TD's & councillors seem to love laying at the cyclist's door, at least the Council seem to be looking for sensible solutions that work for everyone.

I would agree that cyclists need to be more cognisant of peds along that stretch. While joggers will deliberately use the cyclepath, a lot of people are blisfully unaware that they are on 'our' bit of tarmac - particularly with the nice weather we are enjoying and the increased numbers that it brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

That cycle path has problems and was never designed for the numbers that it can get now. It's a victim of its own success. Whilst accidents due to the design of the cycle path occur occasionally no one has been seriously injured. At the same time the design of the road has allowed people on the pathways beside the road to struck by faster heavier moving vehicles incurring fatalities and life changing injuries. I think Finian would be better much addressing the high number of pedestrians and motorists killed and seriously injured on the road beside the cycle path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

But when pedestrians are killed because they walk in front of cars, that's their own silly fault, though regrettable. When pedestrians are slightly hurt because they wander into a cycle lane, the cyclist should have been more careful. #TDthink

• Advertisement

Ah nasty. Make sure you keep getting the fluids into you.

I was on the hybrid - a white Giant. Clad in black lycra with a red Osprey backpack & white Kask lid.

Can't say I remember your bike, but tbh I was in a world of hurt.

I'm feeling much better now and have just had breakfast without risk of throwing it back up again so hopefully I've turned the corner on this thing.

Looking forward to meeting you sometime so, chat some Zepp :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

however, is this going to prevent cyclists from being able to swerve to avoid pedestrians? because i can't see how the ramp proposed can actually *deter* pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

345567.jpg345566.JPG

Nailed on the way into work!

Gavin wrote: »
    345567.jpg

Nailed on the way into work!

Sure I do be cruuuucified with the debris in the road, Joe :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

g80UaKe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

^^^
    I'm cooking a ham for dinner much smaller than one of those thighs. Sure, there'd be good eating on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

that man eugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I wonder do they custom make his shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

100% natural.....right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

He reminds me of a Belgian Blue with their freaky double muscle (or two arses as I used to call it as a kid!):
    BB6_zpsyiikey3c.jpg

Maybe he's such a good man 1 on the team sprint cos the thighs give maximum shelter to men's 2 and 3.
    Anyone know why he doesn't match sprint or do the keirin? He pretty much only seems to do man one team sprint, no other sprint events.

^^^
    I'm cooking a ham for dinner much smaller than one of those thighs. Sure, there'd be good eating on him.
    that man eugh
    I wonder do they custom make his shorts.
    100% natural.....right?
    gadetra wrote: »
    He reminds me of a Belgian Blue with their freaky double muscle (or two arses as I used to call it as a kid!):

Maybe he's such a good man 1 on the team sprint cos the thighs give maximum shelter to men's 2 and 3.
    Anyone know why he doesn't match sprint or do the keirin? He pretty much only seems to do man one team sprint, no other sprint events.
    Never mind all that - what about the sock height? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Never mind all that - what about the sock height? :eek:

In fairness, I don't want to see any more leg.

The great Flann O'Brien writes of him in a book that (strangely) wasn't about bicycles:
    Each of his thighs was as thick as a horse’s belly, narrowing to a calf as thick as the belly of a foal. Three fifties of fosterlings could engage with handball against the wideness of his backside, which was wide enough to halt the march of warriors through a mountain pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

100% natural.....right?

Hey, nice. Let's bring doping into it straight away.

He shares a genetic mutation with his mother apparently. Very small and big legged. I'd be interested in what evidence you have this isn't true and that he uses any doping techniques?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I've spent the last five years telling Mrs Rollingscone about the Winding Stair restaurant, tonight was finally the right set of means, motives and opportunities to go there and I was able to get a reservation.

Then I guess at some point during work today, I too must have seen the new Giant All-road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    BB6_zpsyiikey3c.jpg

He almost always does Match Sprint?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

He almost always does Match Sprint?

Ah. I didn't know.

Then I guess at some point during work today, I too must have seen the new Giant All-road...

I keep seeing references to the Giant All-road but having googled it I don't get it, what am I missing?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I definitely wouldn't look it up in your state!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just saw a post on Facebook from the organisers of the excellent Lap de Gaps Sportif on 16 May. Given the expected numbers, the Guards have asked them to stagger the start from 8.00 to 10.00 rather than the traditional mass start at 10.00. Health & Safety and traffic congestion were the reasons given. In fairness, those same Gardai were out in the rain safely stewarding cyclists through Blessington on the Tour de Foothills last weekend.

Kinda makes sense but it probably will make it more difficult to team up with riders of similar ability. I wonder if this is going to be the norm from now on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

345631.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've spent the last five years telling Mrs Rollingscone about the Winding Stair restaurant, tonight was finally the right set of means, motives and opportunities to go there and I was able to get a reservation.

They also do own the Woolen mills next door which is not bad at all. Think they do the food in the NLI too

....Kinda makes sense but it probably will make it more difficult to team up with riders of similar ability. I wonder if this is going to be the norm from now on?
    Perhaps they will request that those who expect to average 30+ go first, then 27-30, then 24-27 and so on. Regardless, it will pan out over time. If you are in a slow group you will gradually advance and those who were over ambitious will drift back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does anyone know if/how Strava interracts with smart watches? I'm really tempted by Motorola's Moto 360, and I'm wondering if I can get any Strava read-outs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Passed what looked like a nasty accident coming out of Enniskerry towards Dublin with a cyclist in the ditch and gardai and ambulance on the scene.

Hope they are OK :(

Not my favorite road to cycle on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

ronoc wrote: »
    Passed what looked like a nasty accident coming out of Enniskerry towards Dublin with a cyclist in the ditch and gardai and ambulance on the scene.

Hope they are OK :(

Not my favorite road to cycle on.

Was at the scene for a few minutes, he got clipped by a wing mirror . Didn't see it happening but it looked like a very nasty one. Hope he's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

colm18 wrote: »
    Was at the scene for a few minutes, he got clipped by a wing mirror . Didn't see it happening but it looked like a very nasty one. Hope he's ok.

Hope he's OK indeed. Did the car stop? How hard it is really to give a cyclist decent passing space?

Probably one of these kinds of incidents, where the driver failed to judge speed and distance of the cyclist, just pushed on through

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95136525&postcount=51

RainyDay wrote: »
    ...Probably one of these kinds of incidents, where the driver failed to judge speed and distance of the cyclist, just pushed on through...
    More likely that the driver began a poorly misjudged overtaking manoeuvre only to encounter oncoming traffic and the cyclist suffered the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

More likely that the driver began a poorly misjudged overtaking manoeuvre only to encounter oncoming traffic and the cyclist suffered the consequences.

That's exactly my point. The cyclist is the 'weakest link' and when faced with the choice of driving into an oncoming car or pushing a cyclist into a ditch, you know what's going to happen. A cyclist was killed in NZ in the last year or two in a similar incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Yeah, the driver stopped. He was looking after the guy; I don't know exactly what happened though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement