Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Surely any speculation in the incident is inadvisable at least, lest this descend into a chaotic us v them thread, unless there are witnesses of course. Even then its a matter for the Gardai.

Do of course hope the cyclist makes a recovery and isn't badly injured and whomever is at fault is reprimanded appropriately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

nearly clipped myself by mirror other day by driver who just wasnt watching road but on his phone, crazy the distractions we can allow while in a death machine like a car.

Enjoy your cycles tomorrow I have to hold back tennis takes over for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Note to self.

Don't fupp around with your Bike camera the night before you want to record something important.

I missed the last 10 (most important) minutes at the end of my Galway to Dublin run as I had taken the camera off loop/overwriting files by mistake.

I am a sad bunny :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Galway to Dublin run

Did you say "run"? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see Strava have now placed a 'FlyBy' link just below the activity title making stalking much more convenient. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Note to self.

Don't fupp around with your Bike camera the night before you want to record something important.

I missed the last 10 (most important) minutes at the end of my Galway to Dublin run as I had taken the camera off loop/overwriting files by mistake.

I am a sad bunny :(

Ouch, wind was not your friend if you cycled from Galway to Dublin last weekend, since it reversed it's normal direction and would have been in your face.

Did you do it all in one day or with an overnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, as it's only a minor question, technically not really off topic.

Got new road shoes and my Look Keo cleats are coming over the edge of the sole of the shoe, I've attached pictures.

I didn't have this issue with my S-Works just wondering will I be okay to cycle with them like this, or will they wreck my shoes/legs?! They're meant to be compatible with Look Keo system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Amz wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this, as it's only a minor question, technically not really off topic.

Got new road shoes and my Look Keo cleats are coming over the edge of the sole of the shoe, I've attached pictures.

I didn't have this issue with my S-Works just wondering will I be okay to cycle with them like this, or will they wreck my shoes/legs?! They're meant to be compatible with Look Keo system.

Cleat placement is adjustable, as you can see in the second picture, there's a lot of room for the cleat to move in all four directions if you loosen the bolts. As it is, it's set fairly far to one side. If you loosen the bolts and move the cleat to a more central position before tightening again, it shouldn't overlap so much.

Yeah, that seemed to be the only position I could put it on that the cleat fit snugly onto the sole and get the screw in the hole.

I'll fiddle around with it a bit more.

Ta!

(Didn't realise the pictures would be so massive, apologies!)

Amz - I also use Look Keo also and my cleats protrude a bit on the inside. I prefer them as far forward and as much to the inside as the adjustment allows. I've never had any problems with them like that and I do above average distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

gadetra wrote: »
    He reminds me of a Belgian Blue with their freaky double muscle (or two arses as I used to call it as a kid!):
    BB6_zpsyiikey3c.jpg

Maybe he's such a good man 1 on the team sprint cos the thighs give maximum shelter to men's 2 and 3.
    Anyone know why he doesn't match sprint or do the keirin? He pretty much only seems to do man one team sprint, no other sprint events.

Is this one of those 'stock' photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fian wrote: »
    Ouch, wind was not your friend if you cycled from Galway to Dublin last weekend, since it reversed it's normal direction and would have been in your face.

Did you do it all in one day or with an overnight?

Overnight, thank "any Deity" that floats your boat!

There is a huge social element to it :)

Great craic tbh.

Amz - I also use Look Keo also and my cleats protrude a bit on the inside. I prefer them as far forward and as much to the inside as the adjustment allows. I've never had any problems with them like that and I do above average distance.
    Cheers, have tried moving them about a bit, the way I have 'em in the pictures seems to be best. Hopefully will work out as I start clocking up some miles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can anyone recommend somewhere in city centre to repair a tub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Can anyone recommend somewhere in city centre to repair a tub?

The only place I found was a guy in the UK.
    Will try and dig out his details for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Loading one song onto your mp3 player.

4368314810_b4d271a00b_o.jpg
    (The IBM Model 350 Disk File was the world’s first hard drive, storing 5 MB of data.)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Lads am I right in thinking that I should be ok till about 7/half 7 without any lights on the bike? I usually have them with me but just realized I left them somewhere. (I normally cycle in the morning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Full Marx wrote: »
    Lads am I right in thinking that I should be ok till about 7/half 7 without any lights on the bike? I usually have them with me but just realized I left them somewhere. (I normally cycle in the morning)

In a city/town you should be fine. I cycle at that time too.

Only time I'd get slightly concerned and only because I cycle either the Malahide Road or the Portmarnock - city coast road is early morning mist coming in off the sea and even at that its still fine these mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I see Strava have now placed a 'FlyBy' link just below the activity title making stalking much more convenient. :cool:

just had a look at the flyby there very nice feature.

nice to be able to see the routes the people you have met have taken

In a city/town you should be fine. I cycle at that time too.

Only time I'd get slightly concerned and only because I cycle either the Malahide Road or the Portmarnock - city coast road is early morning mist coming in off the sea and even at that its still fine these mornings.
    I meant PM sorry! I will be on country roads, I know it seems a stupid question but its never anything I think about as I normally work in the evenings and head home when its dark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I meant PM sorry! I will be on country roads, I know it seems a stupid question but its never anything I think about as I normally work in the evenings and head home when its dark.

What time will you get off the bike? That will make your decision easier

CramCycle wrote: »
    What time will you get off the bike? That will make your decision easier

Start at 5pm, be home again by half seven at latest

You should be fine, it was really bright enough yesterday. I use my lights all day but it's not necessary. It's certainly bright enough this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Good man. That's a fair commute! I noticed the other day that it was still quite bright at 8:45 so lots of light at 7:30 anyway.

Stolen from the funny side of religion thread:

jealous.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

CramCycle wrote: »
    Stolen from the funny side of religion thread:

jealous.png

He did, did he not say thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ox.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

My 3 year old daughter has a purple & pink bike with tassles on the handlebars. She accidentally yanked the tassles off one side yesterday.

She has now informed me that she needs a new bike.

That's my girl.................

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

My 3 year old daughter has a purple & pink bike with tassles on the handlebars. She accidentally yanked the tassles off one side yesterday.

She has now informed me that she needs a new bike.

That's my girl.................

Did you recommend a canyon/planet x?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Maybe we should campaign for a "Bike to School" scheme - tax relief at parent's marginal rate. Complete new bikes up to €1k only ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe we should campaign for a "Bike to School" scheme - tax relief at parent's marginal rate. Complete new bikes up to €1k only ....

You just know that high-vis will be mandatory under such a scheme.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You just know that high-vis will be mandatory under such a scheme.
    Don't care about that - it's getting on for 40 years since I cycled to school ....

Kav0777 wrote: »

nah got be a trek/giant on the btw scheme

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

From Catholic newspaper Alive. I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like they're saying cycling is kinda gay.

16566789604_819267b9c7_n.jpg

16569052023_1dbf701290_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    Does the message in the above article mean that we all now have to abstain?

• Advertisement

Does anybody know why my activity from today, which started in Ardcath and ended up in Lusk, managed to get titled "Crosmaglen cycling" when it went onto Garmin Connect?!?!

Also, all of my other rides are titled "Kilteel cycle". Never been there on the bike!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Does anybody know why my activity from today, which started in Ardcath and ended up in Lusk, managed to get titled "Crosmaglen cycling" when it went onto Garmin Connect?!?!

Also, all of my other rides are titled "Kilteel cycle". Never been there on the bike!
    Discussed at length in another thread. Something to do with Garmin not recognising ROI locations and linking to the nearest point in the (de facto) UK.

Discussed at length in another thread. Something to do with Garmin not recognising ROI locations and linking to the nearest point in the (de facto) UK.

Please fix it for me. Thanks.

Discussed at length in another thread..
    This one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057348002

I don't have time to read it. Just give me the gist of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Kilkeel and Crosmaglen are both absolute holes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on replacing these cables?

20150412_173038.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Garmin are nobheads who keep "fixing" things that aren't broken. See also the connect app, for which the last update has removed functionality!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

img_5780_670.jpg

Rafael Valls' Merida

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on replacing these cables?

20150412_173038.jpg

:D
    might want some wheels first

manafana wrote: »
    :D
    might want some wheels first

The front wheel is in the photo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a trek? someone seems to not have tightened the quick release properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Standard gear cables by the looks of it.

What the weird barrel-y thing does is effectively lengthen the amount of outer being used, which adjusts the amount of cable in use when the lever is at rest. You don't need a special 2-piece cable or anything, just make a note (or take a video) of how the old cable comes apart so you can put the new one back in the same way.

Useful for the front mech, which typically doesn't have any kind of adjustment on it, but not all that necessary for the rear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Saw this. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pedi-scope-look-down-see-the-road-ahead-44151/ . A bike periscope "Pediscope " You can see straight ahead while looking down.
    Froome has got to be favourite for all 3 GTs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I feel nauseous looking at that picture.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement