Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Curious, Cram - how can you tell they're UCD students? Are they wearing college scarves?

Quiet a few of them, more wear the UCD class hoodies, there are several subtle indicators. The main one being walking into the various entrances of UCD at a time close to when lectures would be starting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going to lectures? sounds suspiciously unstudentlike to me.

going to lectures? sounds suspiciously unstudentlike to me.

Head in for 9 so you can miss the first one and make the 10 o clock one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cyclists will be allowed to ride on footpaths as the WesternAustralia Government moves to ease the war between bicycle riders and motorists.
    There would be no footpath speed restriction, despite similar laws in the NorthernTerritory that limit cyclists to 20kmh
    And cyclists endorse this proposed footpath cycling law
    The Bicycle Transportation Alliance, the Main Roads’ Cycling and Pedestrian Advisory Group and Bicycling WA all called for footpath cycling laws to be explored.
    How stoopid is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

One of the lads in the LBS just got me to take a shot on one of the Giant battery assisted bikes.

Combined with a Copenhagen style cycle "motorway" from the suburbs almost no adult would need to commute by car.

Also good jaysis it feels wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Didn't know UCD still held classes in or around Stephen's Green; thought they'd moved out to the countryside of Stillorgan.

[
    Didn't know UCD still held classes in or around Stephen's Green; thought they'd moved out to the countryside of Stillorgan.

I don't think they do as they sold Earlsferry terrace a couple of years ago. I live near oentrance.one of the Bedfield campus entrances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

furiousox wrote: »
    Ah, so that's where the name comes from.
    I knew it!

2B5CA404F-BFF3-8C5F-6FCBED04F9F19C9E.jpg

Damn you furiousox!!!
    My deep dark secret is .....Chamber Music.
    There I said it.
    Deal with it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    [

I don't think they do as they sold Earlsferry terrace a couple of years ago. I live near oentrance.one of the Bedfield campus entrances.

Ahhh, I thought all this was about Stephen's Green. Sorry, attention must have wandered somewhere back there.

• Advertisement

Belatedly cleaning my bike today after yesterday's spin...trying to remember at which point I went mountain biking #mybikegotverydirty

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looks like great weather out there, and I'm in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    [

Jesus Cram. Tidy that up a bit would you? Drunk type!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Looks like great weather out there, and I'm in work.

in work until 1400 after that despite tired legs I might have to fall on my bike and roll out the door*

*says Rollingscone as he glumly remembers his list of chores

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

in work until 1400 after that despite tired legs I might have to fall on my bike and roll out the door*

*says Rollingscone as he glumly remembers his list of chores

In until 5, have the leisure bike I guess i'd call it, and not the commuter with me so intending on getting a trip around Howth or park/dunboyne in if the weather is still okay.

If it's quiet I'll nip home and swap it for the other bike to get more practice with the cleats though I was intending on that tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This is seriously cheering:

http://http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/nrpt-magnet-ie-ends-french-stage-race-with-top-10-for-adam-stenson/

Having seen Stenson race on track I'm not surprised! Fair play.

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here

347593.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

I'll just leave this here

347593.jpg

Is it cruel to hogtie it and wear it like a back pack though?

roverrules wrote: »

Who says it's hogtied? Maybe it's just lovin' it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone any tips for keeping (yes i know how this is going to sound) your helmet clean?
    i have sweat stains on the straps, which can't be detached for easy washing.

Who says it's hogtied? Maybe it's just lovin' it?

Attack of the Androphiles!

• Advertisement

anyone any tips for keeping (yes i know how this is going to sound) your helmet clean?

Good point! Are there helmets with washable straps, not to mention washable foam inside? I might - mmmighttt - even wear one if there were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Fill a basin with warm/hot water. Add a Milton tablet, hold helmet down with large stone or brick. Soak overnight, leave to dry on the line. No need to remove straps or pads

Or bring it into the shower once a month, after you get the deep clean done (as above).

Or buy a new one, which then requires a new bike to match the colour scheme:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

roverrules wrote: »
    That's how you mount a goat-pro.

you're just kidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    Fill a basin with warm/hot water. Add a Milton tablet...
    I tried that with a previous helmet and it 'bleached' the straps making them look tacky.

What about just soaking the helmet in warm water and detergent, then giving it a good rinse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

ffs, raced 250km over the weekend, including some awful potholed roads, no incidents. Ride <3km in Dublin city centre commute on the same wheels, and I get a puncture. :rolleyes:

buffalo wrote: »
    ffs, raced 250km over the weekend, including some awful potholed roads, no incidents. Ride <3km in Dublin city centre commute on the same wheels, and I get a puncture. :rolleyes:

I'll take the bait folks:

How did you get on in the race Buffalo?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'll take the bait folks:

How did you get on in the race Buffalo?!?!

See the Kanturk thread. Are you going to come fix my puncture? I can't find neutral service anywhere.

See the Kanturk thread. Are you going to come fix my puncture? I can't find neutral service anywhere.

Aldi have instant puncture-fixers https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-3-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/bike-quick-fix-tyre-repair/ (lemons optional)

• Advertisement

Ah I know already. I gave you a nice comment on Strava after reading the news!

Anyone heard from Dermot Illogical lately?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Anyone heard from Dermot Illogical lately?
    He had a couple of commutes up on Strava a few weeks ago but seems to have gone back to hibernation again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

347815.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Question other than the forums here - what classifieds does anyone use for buying/selling bike related kit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

adverts.ie
    donedeal
    ebay
    cycling buy and sell page on facebook

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Anyone thinking of doing the brown stuff 400 this year?

http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/400km-events/brown-stuff-400/

Vaguely considering it if I can get the weekend off work even though I haven't ridden anything longer than 150km so far this year. Might die, but then again might not so probably worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anyone thinking of doing the brown stuff 400 this year?

http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/400km-events/brown-stuff-400/

Vaguely considering it if I can get the weekend off work even though I haven't ridden anything longer than 150km so far this year. Might die, but then again might not so probably worth the risk.

I'll be doing it, I'll probably be starting in Clonmel though.

Supposed to be really tough. Great name though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Me too! It's the only one where I read the ride description and think, "This is really going to hurt!".

I've got to get Friday's 400 out of the way first.

• Advertisement

is there any way to hide a segment in strava? admittedly, i'm using the free version.
    this is currently showing up as my biggest climb, and much as i'd like to be able to do it, i'm not able to climb 142m in 0.4km.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6089358

is there any way to hide a segment in strava? admittedly, i'm using the free version.
    this is currently showing up as my biggest climb, and much as i'd like to be able to do it, i'm not able to climb 142m in 0.4km.

There is but I'm not sure if it will alter your "Biggest Climb".

Open the relevant ride which included that segment. Where the segments are listed scroll to the relevant one. Hover over the extreme right hand column where "hide" will appear and click it.

....or else just go out and do a bigger climb! :pac:

, and much as i'd like to be able to do it, i'm not able to climb 142m in 0.4km.

Strava seems to think I can do it in 1m 12 sec.

strava said i did it in 1m20s. i'd love to be able to manage even 5s on a 30% climb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

strava said i did it in 1m20s. i'd love to be able to manage even 5s on a 30% climb...

I'd just sit back and admire your awesomeness tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Strava seems to think I can do it in 1m 12 sec.

57secs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I know that stretch of road.
    I don't believe, it's anything like 30%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I know that stretch of road.
    I don't believe, it's anything like 30%

I'd be surprised it it maxes out at any more than 10%

jaysus. a colleague of mine QOMed the stelvio pass yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

jaysus. a colleague of mine QOMed the stelvio pass yesterday.

On a bike!!?
    Don't go for a casual spin with her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Wow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement