Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

a) what is QOM?
    b) oul' fellas and oul' wans, how long does it take before you're back on your bike after getting a bionic knee?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A QOM is the queen of the mountain, the women's equivalent of a K(king)OM. It's the fastest person up a climb/segment of road.

No idea about the bionic knee I'm afraid, would the physio have an idea?

gadetra wrote: »
    A QOM is the queen of the mountain, the women's equivalent of a K(king)OM. It's the fastest person up a climb/segment of road.

No idea about the bionic knee I'm afraid, would the physio have an idea?

Ah, mad people! (But fit people.) But then my attitude to Olympic swimming is "why spoil a nice swim by going so fast?"

I don't think a physio would know about getting back on the bike, but our more creaky listmates might be more likely to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hah! it turns out it was a virtual turbo trainer ride. she hadn't realised it had uploaded to strava till she got a confusing text from me congratulating her. I knew she was heading to that part of the world, turns out it's not for another couple of weeks.

she said it was still insanely tough.
    she's been up and down the likes of l'alpe d'huez and galibier a few times (not on the turbo trainer), so it made sense that she'd do OK on stelvio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

hah! it turns out it was a virtual turbo trainer ride. she hadn't realised it had uploaded to strava till she got a confusing text from me congratulating her. I knew she was heading to that part of the world, turns out it's not for another couple of weeks.

she said it was still insanely tough.

that feature of the turbo has messed up strava bit, can make it look like you have ridden anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    57secs ;)

Snap, but my heartbeat was 26bpm lower than yours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is but I'm not sure if it will alter your "Biggest Climb".
    yep, it hides the segment in the ride but not on your general summary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Snap, but my heartbeat was 26bpm lower than yours!

But I'm an auld fella ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anyone thinking of doing the brown stuff 400 this year?

http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/400km-events/brown-stuff-400/

Vaguely considering it if I can get the weekend off work even though I haven't ridden anything longer than 150km so far this year. Might die, but then again might not so probably worth the risk.

Sweet Jebus. Just read the route description. What kind of time would you expect to do it in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ford2600 wrote: »
    I'll be doing it, I'll probably be starting in Clonmel though.

Supposed to be really tough. Great name though

So called as it joins every brown spot on an OS map in Leinster. I thought for many years it was called "Brown Trousers" as that's what happened with the physical exertion involved.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    So called as it joins every brown spot on an OS map in Leinster. I thought for many years it was called "Brown Trousers" as that's what happened with the physical exertion involved.

Sweet mother of the divine. I can't even contemplate what would go into that in my imagination, never mind thinking about actually doing it, and as for actually doing it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Fair play to anyone who does it, that is mental!

Audax always seems so lonely. Miles and miles and miles on your own, for a crazy amount of hours. Horses for courses I suppose, but I don't think I'd survive that amount of suffering largely on my own! It's like the opposite of track :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Audax always seems so lonely. Miles and miles and miles on your own, for a crazy amount of hours. Horses for courses I suppose, but I don't think I'd survive that amount of suffering largely on my own! It's like the opposite of track :pac:

What kind of a country girl are you? How would you be bored spying on an endless variety of farms and the countryside.

I find driving on motorways boring, N roads on bike but never on boreens of audax rides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

daragh_ wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus. Just read the route description. What kind of time would you expect to do it in?
    You are allowed 26h40 and you're not allowed do it in less than 13h20.

It's actually good fun. You can be on your own for hours or you can be with a peloton powering down the road or you might have one or 4 companions where you chat away goodo or just pedal in silence. You have to be happy in your own company and willing to rely on yourself. An occasional snooze in a field can be a bonus.

I spent about 4 hours on my own from Castleblaney via Armagh to Kilkeel two weeks ago. Spinning along tidy NI country lanes listening to the distant sound of drums drifting across the fields. Gazing at the splendour of the Mountain of Mourne (I had plenty of time for that as I climbed to Spelga Dam). Overtaking the cars on the descent off Spelga Dam (82kph on the Thorn :cool: ).

Off tomorrow evening for a fairly flat 400. Dundrum -> Portlaoise -> Waterford -> Wexford -> Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Off tomorrow evening for a fairly flat 400. Dundrum -> Portlaoise -> Waterford -> Wexford -> Dundrum.
    All that distance and you end up back where you started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I spent about four hours on a 400 last year dicussing the best burgers and fast food places with a lad from Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Audax is the best.

Its a bit like a long haul flight ( first class if you're riding a steel frame ) but with better scenery and pedals to keep your feet busy.

ford2600 wrote: »
    What kind of a country girl are you? How would you be bored spying on an endless variety of farms and the countryside.

I find driving on motorways boring, N roads on bike but never on boreens of audax rides

Ha ha ha ha you're right, I always notice them alright but it's no fun when you've no one to talk to about it! :eek: :o

I have also given up my sense of direction. I literally cede it. When I'm in a bunch, I have no idea where I am, where I have been or where I'm going. I abdicate all directional responsibilities and I like it that way :eek: :o I think that may be a major impediment to Audax-ing!

It is a really Herculean task I have to say, fair play to all that do it.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Audax is the best.

Its a bit like a long haul flight ( first class if you're riding a steel frame ) but with better scenery and pedals to keep your feet busy.

No track is the best :cool: :P

All cycling factions assemble:

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

daragh_ wrote: »

No idea, as cdaly said the time limit is about 26 hours. Normally I can do a 400km in about 20 hours but all the hills in this might slow things a bit. Also since I've done feck all cycling this year there's also a fair chance that I won't even finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You've plenty of time to get into shape. You could sign up for the Mcik Byrne 200 at the end of May and see how you get on with the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have also given up my sense of direction. I literally cede it. When I'm in a bunch, I have no idea where I am, where I have been or where I'm going. I abdicate all directional responsibilities and I like it that way :eek: :o I think that may be a major impediment to Audax-ing!...
    When I'm on a club spin I'm a bit like that - don't really pay attention to directions/junctions etc. as I know someone else is.

However, on an Audax I'm much more aware of where I am and where I'm going and I would have studied the route a fair bit beforehand. I'm a bit of a stickler for doing it right and if I make a mistake, I'll retrace my steps rather than take a shortcut.

There's something particularly satisfying about setting out at 5am in the depths of winter and extending a 200k Audax into a 300+k and cycling into the night in the almost total silence of unlit rural roads with nothing but your breath condensing before you.
    No track is the best..
    I've never cycled on a track but I keep thinking of it as a cycling version of bulimia. :eek:

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Anyone heard from Dermot Illogical lately?
    He had a couple of commutes up on Strava a few weeks ago but seems to have gone back to hibernation again.
    He's back on Strava this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I've never cycled on a track but I keep thinking of it as a cycling version of bulimia. :eek:

You have to elaborate on that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

- Track Cyclist " I've never done the MAMIL leisure riding thing, but I keep thinking of it as a time consuming way to get rid of a beer belly "

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

- Track Cyclist " I've never done the MAMIL leisure riding thing, but I keep thinking of it as a time consuming way to get rid of a beer belly "

And build up a thirst with your drinking buddies... don't knock it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cycling into the night in the almost total silence of unlit rural roads with nothing but your breath condensing before you.

This.

The night closes in around you. There's only you, the bike and the bit of road in the small pool of light in front of you. The hills disappear, sometimes you're moving faster, sometimes slower. Off in the distance is a small red point of light where another rider is off in their own world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Ah, ok. I think I get it. Benefit of track cycling is you can do the long spins (maybe not 200 but...) and still do maximal efforts, almost puke, then sit around chatting for a half hour before doing it all again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah, ok. I think I get it. Benefit of track cycling is you can do the long spins (maybe not 200 but...) and still do maximal efforts, almost puke, then sit around chatting for a half hour before doing it all again.
    At least one lad took this quite literally and went beyond the "almost" on Wednesday night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This.

The night closes in around you. There's only you, the bike and the bit of road in the small pool of light in front of you. The hills disappear, sometimes you're moving faster, sometimes slower. Off in the distance is a small red point of light where another rider is off in their own world...

Someone sell this ad to Guinness/Diageo STAT!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Our "Paralympic Cyclist" friend, Colin Lynch, is trying to raise some cash for a new prosthetic leg ahead of the Paralympics in Rio next year

There's an Irish Post article here

I'm sure Colin would greatly appreciate any contributions (as he did when we helped raise a bit of cash for the London Paralympics)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

When did Permanent TSB go from trading as IL0.IR to IL0A.IR?

:(

No one told my poor little share trackermcbobbie.

It turns out even the stock market can swindle you too, beyond the normal risks you think you are taking..Bleedin' pr1cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Geansai load of Richard Moore cycling podcasts here on the Telegraph website.
    Has anyone been listening to them, any good?

https://audioboom.com/channel/thecyclingpodcast

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

furiousox wrote: »
    Geansai load of Richard Moore cycling podcasts here on the Telegraph website.
    Has anyone been listening to them, any good?

https://audioboom.com/channel/thecyclingpodcast

I quite enjoy it, it's the only cycling podcast I listen to. It's weekly and daily during the Tour.

Good luck to the brave Boardsies doing the National 400k tonight. You had crap conditions but the worst of it is over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

When did Permanent TSB go from trading as IL0.IR to IL0A.IR?

:(

No one told my poor little share trackermcbobbie.

It turns out even the stock market can swindle you too, beyond the normal risks you think you are taking..Bleedin' pr1cks.

F*****g bankers

Sorry. Just amazed someone hasn't already said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Just wondering what is the best way to put routes with navigation's on my new edge 810?

I use to use bike route toaster to put bread crumb routes on my edge 500, but I would like navigation also, I.e. pop turning directions at junctions etc.

Bit late to go for a spin after finishing work today so set about the oft delayed restoration of Wolfgang Beaterson who had suffered disuse after his bargain basement 20 year old Cantilever brakes seized.

Fit the new generic V brakes along iwth a nice set of Shimano cables, cleaned and degreased the frame, cleaned down the surface rust (will apply some nail varnish to the exposed steel before leaving him to suffer the indignities of "outside" again, made a dogs dinner of cutting the new chain (old one should have had plenty of miles left but is a solid block of rust).

Got it all squared away, put on the nice new Selle Royal Saddle from Aldi and then....realised I'd fecked up the Cable outers... cut them too short because of perceived drag....more cables tomorrow so.

*Any and all anthropomorphic references are entirely 100% Gadetra's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bit late to go for a spin after finishing work today so set about the oft delayed restoration of Wolfgang Beaterson who had suffered disuse after his bargain basement 20 year old Cantilever brakes seized.

Fit the new generic V brakes along iwth a nice set of Shimano cables, cleaned and degreased the frame, cleaned down the surface rust (will apply some nail varnish to the exposed steel before leaving him to suffer the indignities of "outside" again, made a dogs dinner of cutting the new chain (old one should have had plenty of miles left but is a solid block of rust).

Got it all squared away, put on the nice new Selle Royal Saddle from Aldi and then....realised I'd fecked up the Cable outers... cut them too short because of perceived drag....more cables tomorrow so.

*Any and all anthropomorphic references are entirely 100% Gadetra's fault.

Should this not have be in "today I did something to my bike thread' ??!

Should this not have be in "today I did something to my bike thread' ??!

more of a general directionless rant..

Tea towels for the dish-drying, tray-eating cyclist, available soon online

http://www.cyclingcartoons.com

I particularly like this one:

348246.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What would people advise for the teeth combo and chain type?
    I have a Trek 1500 slr with 9speed ultegra all round.
    WIll either of the chain selections be compatible?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/shimano-ultegra-6500-9-fach-kassette-kette-/rp-prod126507

Or if anyone could do a quick checklist of the parts Id need to swap to 10 speed Ultegra from 9 speed, there seems to be good prices on crc at the moment and Im a bit lost

Would I be better off just getting a full 105 5800 which appears to be better than my old Ultegra http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/shimano-105-5800-11-fach-schaltgruppe-/rp-prod116477

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

On the bus from dublin to monaghan- someone has just spilt her bottle of wine and thrown up over her seat . Knew I should have cycled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

someone has just spilt her bottle of wine and thrown up over her seat

It can still happen while you're on the bike! Seen it already in all configurations. ;)

You never forget how to ride a bike, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You never forget how to ride a bike, right?
    Worth watching, fascinating and funny too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What would people advise for the teeth combo and chain type?
    I have a Trek 1500 slr with 9speed ultegra all round.
    WIll either of the chain selections be compatible?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/shimano-ultegra-6500-9-fach-kassette-kette-/rp-prod126507

Or if anyone could do a quick checklist of the parts Id need to swap to 10 speed Ultegra from 9 speed, there seems to be good prices on crc at the moment and Im a bit lost

Would I be better off just getting a full 105 5800 which appears to be better than my old Ultegra http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/shimano-105-5800-11-fach-schaltgruppe-/rp-prod116477

With limited knowledge, the bike could probably upgraded but the wheels might be an issue? You'd need to make sure the rear hub is 11s compatible?

It's probably 10s compatible as the 10s is smaller/thinner than the 9s and you'd need a spacer (from what I can recall)

That new 5800 is meant to be the dog's things from what I have read. Great bang for buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got some SPD touring pedals put onto the commuter instead of the flats. Decided I'd try them having been slowly getting used to KEOS. Spectacular fall on my driveway into my neighbours drive way. No witnesses, might have made made me a viral star had there been.

Might need to rethink this lark

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got some SPD touring pedals put onto the commuter instead of the flats. Decided I'd try them having been slowly getting used to KEOS. Spectacular fall on my driveway into my neighbours drive way. No witnesses, might have made made me a viral star had there been.

Might need to rethink this lark

Thats yer inevitable first one over and done with.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Given today's Giro, I'm downgrading it to a comical fall. I'll use the grassy bit around the corner next time

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    Thats yer inevitable first one over and done with.:)
    First private one over with. Full audience one to follow soon...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement