Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

And 3 she'll sus that bits for said bike aren't as cheap as I make out

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just discovered that Decathlon now has an Irish website. Doesn't seem to have as much choice as the UK site though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just discovered that Decathlon now has an Irish website. Doesn't seem to have as much choice as the UK site though

Please, please let them open an Irish branch...

(And I know there's one in Belfast....)

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »

Weren't they down to have one in Jervis years ago? I'd welcome them too, any vacant retail park spots we can get for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭tonycombat

kN3FEXj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Shoddy LBS work annoys me. Got a new bike and the gears weren't right. It was just a bit of cable tension and limit screw at the front, but would it kill them to run through the gears before taking my hard-earned money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Weepsie wrote: »

Actual bikes was a noticeable absence :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Great shot. All our club spins look that epic (in my head only sadly).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

RobFowl wrote: »

I wouldn't get too excited. The Belfast branch is deinfitely poor cousin of branches on continent. Loads of sports not catered for. Better off ordering online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Only a pro can pull off the over sized clear glasses and mushroom helmet and make it look epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anyone hazard a guess what's this bike is worth? Was asked at weekend by my very kind host in Mayo and I hadn't a clue. Thought €100 maybe but just a guess.

Raleigh road bike. Reynolds 501 tubing, with a partial 2 by 6 shimano drivetrain. Late 80's at a guess. Missing front derailleur and shifter.
    Frame in good condition and wheels are true. Seat post 59cm ctc, top tube 56cm

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ford2600 wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess what's this bike is worth? Was asked at weekend by my very kind host in Mayo and I hadn't a clue. Thought €100 maybe but just a guess.

Raleigh road bike. Reynolds 501 tubing, with a partial 2 by 6 shimano drivetrain. Late 80's at a guess. Missing front derailleur and shifter.

You might get 100euro if its rideable at the minute (brakes working and wheels true etc.). No more though with the missing shifter and derailleur. I wouldn't expect to get over 60, 75 at a push.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ford2600 wrote: »

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

€50-100

Frame looks in ok condition but 501 is fairly basic and not that desirable.
    Components looks entry level for the era and worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Off to Greece next month (Athens & Thesaloniki) is it worth looking at bikeep hire?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A separate thread (about wobbling) somehow reminded me of this feat, accomplished back in March. No mention of it on Boards, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I seem to remember someone here making something similar to these and posting pictures a while back, but I can't find the thread.

Probably worked out cheaper than $85 to make their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I seem to remember someone here making something similar to these and posting pictures a while back, but I can't find the thread.
    tomasrojo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81976804&postcount=40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »

I changed the lights themselves to Moon Crescent lights this year. Much smaller and lighter. Bit too
    bright maybe.

The idea's been around for ages, incidentally. Goude used to make an indicator glove around the year 2000. Doesn't seem to be catching on, despite my personal enthusiasm.

• Advertisement

Probably worked out cheaper than $85 to make their own.

I don't get it, are these to be worn as a punishment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

So if you punch someone while wearing your indicator gloves does that mean you've literally lamped them?

A version with velcro palms would be popular in North Antrim...

ronoc wrote: »
    I don't get it, are these to be worn as a punishment?

I don't know about that particular brand, but I find my own homemade always-on ones effective. I don't think of them as primarily for indication, and it's not that they make you more visible the way fixed-to-the-bike lights would. It's that you can suddenly become more visible by moving your hand (vigorously, if you have to). You can also angle the light to make you as visible as possible. For example, if you're merging with another road (say, turning right up to Parnell Square from Parnell Street), you can point the light towards the traffic to your left and make yourself suddenly more conspicuous. If you're waiting to turn right, you can rest a hand on the saddle and a hand on the handlebars, and you then have an extra light pointing to oncoming traffic in both directions. I also had noticeably fewer drivers emerging at exactly the wrong time from side roads when I started using them.

That said, they probably look at least faintly ridiculous, so that's reason enough to eschew them.

They're not "essential" or anything, but I like having my ones.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That said, they probably look at least faintly ridiculous, so that's reason enough to eschew them.

Looking ridiculous was top of my list of reasons to copy you make these, I had belt clip ones on my glove, hard to find yellow ones though.

I have white ones now. I preferred when I had yellow, but I guess yellow LEDs really only existed while they were perfecting cheap white ones. Feel a bit self-conscious even with the Crescents on the lowest setting.

ECF Cycling Barometer 2015
    http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b0c3ff3f53e4c6a8be5677245&id=b8c3e24a69
    One disappointment in this year’s barometer is the bad score for Ireland, despite great cycling developments in Dublin, as they went down in ranking due to the cycling use criteria

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'cycling use criteria' refers to the numbers cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

'cycling use criteria' refers to the numbers cycling?

That would be odd, since the number of people cycling is increasing enormously with the use of Dublin Bikes.

If the city/ies put in a few decent separated cycling lanes then kids would also cycle and we'd really be moving into a changed traffic scenario.

(There is, of course, the big sissy factor; when I wailed to my mother that I wasn't happy that my 12-year-old wanted to cycle to school across the city, she said that her brother used to cycle to school through the centre city in the 1920s. "But traffic was much less dangerous then," I sniffed, and she pointed out that the streets were full of steel-shod fully-loaded Guinness drays pulled by giant horses racing through the cobbled streets. That put me in my box.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

should have cycled in this morning what a mare out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Walking to the child-minders this morning with my twin 4 year old boys they decided to play 'cycling races'. We've been watching the Classics and the Giro together.

Sadly I had to boo one of my own kids as he was wearing a light blue coat so he decided he had to be Astana.

That would be odd, since the number of people cycling is increasing enormously with the use of Dublin Bikes.

Maybe the national usage figures drag the rating down? They're still getting worse, once you take Dublin out of the picture, if I recall correctly.

manafana wrote: »
    should have cycled in this morning what a mare out there
    My wife had to get the bus instead of the Luas. 2.5 hours versus her usual commute of one hour. Not a fair comparison, I guess, given that the bus's journey was somewhat affected by the extra traffic.

quozl wrote: »
    Walking to the child-minders this morning with my twin 4 year old boys they decided to play 'cycling races'. We've been watching the Classics and the Giro together.

Sadly I had to boo one of my own kids as he was wearing a light blue coat so he decided he had to be Astana.

I thought of this:

http://travelwest.info/project/ee-135-impact-of-changes-in-mode-of-travel-to-work-on-changes-in-body-weight
    Top line: Switching from private motor transport to active travel or public transport is associated with a significant reduction in weight. In contrast, switching from active travel or public transport to private motor transport is associated with a significant weight increase.

I see as well that a recent European overview showed that the countries with highest rates of walking and cycling have the lowest obesity rates, with the Netherlands having the lowest obesity rates.

I do wonder sometimes if the health authorities put way too much emphasis on diet, important as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

http://travelwest.info/project/ee-135-impact-of-changes-in-mode-of-travel-to-work-on-changes-in-body-weight

I see as well that a recent European overview showed that the countries with highest rates of walking and cycling have the lowest obesity rates, with the Netherlands having the lowest obesity rates.

I do wonder sometimes if the health authorities put way too much emphasis on diet, important as it is.

As someone who loves food, I do find it hard sometimes to not eat, especially when at times your just bloody hungry. For me exercise works and really its what should work for most its much easier to say yes to exercise than no to food (within reason, balancing your diet is important)

Today on the bus just shows me how crazy the car use is towards the city by people unwilling to share transport etc. You also see the key use of having marked cycle lanes over just sharing bus lanes or road. It certainly keeps most cars out of the way of cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I love eating, to the point of being obsessive about it sometimes. I am always hungry, more or less.

I cycle so I can eat more.

It shows clearly on pictures of mine before I started riding the bike :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

quozl wrote: »

You best be careful or they'll sue you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Hövding – Airbag for cyclists, going off prematurely:
    https://instagram.com/p/23SL7Ln6hR/

He's getting it replaced free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

^^^^^

Could be handy if there is a '80s revival night' coming up

flock-of-seagulls.png

2015-05-11_milltag-cycling.jpg
    The Fall released their new album, “Sub-Lingual Tablet” on 11 May with one of the tracks titled “Dedication Not Medication”. The song is about cyclist Dieter Wiedemann, a sporting hero of East Germany who kept under close surveillance by the Stasi before defecting to West Germany whilst qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics. Once in the west, he signed professional forms with Torpedo and fulfilled a lifetime ambition of riding the Tour de France. This limited edition jersey is styled on the Torpedo jersey and pays tribute to all those cyclists who strive for, and have achieved, excellence through sheer dedication.

http://milltag.cc/shop/jerseys/thefall

Cycling not an activity that I'd immediately link with The Fall, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Kvv2.jpg

http://milltag.cc/shop/jerseys/topbonk-schleppers

This one is perfect when dedication outweights nutrition.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cycling not an activity that I'd immediately link with The Fall, but there you go.

Theme from Sparta FC and Mountain Energy are both on my Turbo Playlist. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The Fall

I recently heard an interview with an ex member of The Fall (cant remember which memeber) and he wasnt overly complimentary about Mark E. Smith saying that Smith was in charge. No one else had a say regardless hoe long they were in the band.
    Smith was in charge of lyrics,rythmn songs albums concerts ..everything.
    He said that the band literally showed up played their instruments and then sat back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone having issues with strava? My uploaded spin is completely bonkers lol

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    I recently heard an interview with an ex member of The Fall (cant remember which memeber) and he wasnt overly complimentary about Mark E. Smith

Might have been Steve Hanley. He published a book about his time in The Fall late last year.

I met MES in a bar before a gig in Dublin once. He was really quite charming and, to my complete amazement, had a few drinks with me and my then girlfriend. His speech was a bit hard to understand though.

His memoir mentions a game he played with his siblings called "Japanese Prisoner of War Camp". It presaged quite accurately his later band-management style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with strava? My uploaded spin is completely bonkers lol
    That's what I thought when I saw your max speed of 34km/h!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

That's what I thought when I saw your max speed of 34km/h!

Yes. Too fast indeed to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Here's my one image review of the Selle Royale racing saddle from the last Aldi sale:

20150521_190616.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^^^
    short, concise, precise and to the point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement