Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

heh, reminds me of several viewpoints on the domestic scene here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/ochowicz-calls-for-end-to-crash-fest-by-removing-wildcard-teams_371663
    The modern peloton’s crash problem can be at least partially alleviated by removing lower-tier teams from major WorldTour races, and decreasing total field size,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cycle track my a**e.

350015.jpg

They were taking the full width of both cycle lanes and moved to the right only when I approached and braked. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is the one on the left really really tall, or is her mate just very small ?

I think its due to wide angle lens distortion: look at the size of buggies. The left one was taller but not by much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You need to pass this through a Finian McGrath filter.

A cyclist forced two mothers and four children out of the way. It's only a matter of time before a tragic accident occurs. We need speed limits on cycle tracks.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You need to pass this through a Finian McGrath filter.

A cyclist forced two mothers and four children out of the way. It's only a matter of time before a tragic accident occurs. We need speed limits on cycle tracks.

I noticed this morning that there's a big poster of his face on one of the bus shelters on the Clontarf cycleway. Felt like he was watching me... judging me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

buffalo wrote: »
    I noticed this morning that there's a big poster of his face one one of the bus shelters on the Clontarf cycleway. Felt like he was watching me... judging me...

He's got a sexy tache though.

I noticed this morning that there's a big poster of his face one one of the bus shelters on the Clontarf cycleway. Felt like he was watching me... judging me...

350025.jpeg
    350026.jpg
    Hmmm ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I thought he was great in "The Snapper" tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Needed a coffee so jumped into Spar/ Insomnia to grab an espresso as I didn't have much time to drink it. Girl behind the counter Mis-hears me an shout's to the coffee machine attendant "Double espresso". The coffee machine attendant misheard the cashier and puts two espresso's in front of me. I pour them into the 1 cup and now realise I have 2 double espresso's in 1 serving.
    Will be an interesting afternoon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

bcmf wrote: »
    Needed a coffee so jumped into Spar/ Insomnia to grab an espresso as I didn't have much time to drink it. Girl behind the counter Mis-hears me an shout's to the coffee machine attendant "Double espresso". The coffee machine attendant misheard the cashier and puts two espresso's in front of me. I pour them into the 1 cup and now realise I have 2 double espresso's in 1 serving.
    Will be an interesting afternoon....

Funny you should say. I have a package needs collecting in Bundoran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

RRerwvHrb0nxm.gif
    This is how I imagine bcmf typing out his quadruple espresso post.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Alek wrote: »
    Cycle track my a**e.

350015.jpg

They were taking the full width of both cycle lanes and moved to the right only when I approached and braked. :mad:

In fairness, the path does not look like it is suitable to wheel buggies. Not all that different to when cyclists (myself included) choose to cycle on the road rather than a poorly surfaced path. No need to be territorial about the cycle path, minor inconvenience at most to pass them by I would have thought? And they did move out of your way.

Live and let live imo, they were using a better surface not trying to inconvenience anyone it looks like.

Let me repeat: they were using full width of double cycle path and did not react to an oncoming cyclist until he was very close.

No problem in sharing the cycle path (even though the footpath wasn't actually that bad) but as they are "guests" here I would expect to go in single line at least.
    Not all that different to when cyclists (myself included) choose to cycle on the road rather than a poorly surfaced path.

The difference being that you are allowed to be on both, while segregated cycle paths are for bikes only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Fian wrote: »
    In fairness, the path does not look like it is suitable to wheel buggies. Not all that different to when cyclists (myself included) choose to cycle on the road rather than a poorly surfaced path. No need to be territorial about the cycle path, minor inconvenience at most to pass them by I would have thought? And they did move out of your way.

Live and let live imo, they were using a better surface not trying to inconvenience anyone it looks like.

I imagine they're using it not because of the surface but because it wider and they can have a chat as they walk along. That's down to a poor design but it's irresponsible to put babies on a bike path. I often fly along there at 35 kph. It's right of Alex to at least raise the issue.

This is how I imagine bcmf typing out his quadruple espresso post.

HR deffo way up.Starting to feel a bit jittery. And feeling really really warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cycle track my a**e.

350015.jpg

This is outside Eastpoint business park, right?

The path here is a shambles. At least they moved. It's not the end of the world that you had to slow down ;)

At least they moved. It's not the end of the world that you had to slow down ;)

Of course not. Lets reverse the situation: what if a cyclist was riding hard on the pavement and swerved around you in the last second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Of course not. Lets reverse the situation: what if a cyclist was riding hard on the pavement and swerved around you in the last second?

I'm surprised your sonic boom didn't just blast them across the road like paper dolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Cut their ****ing hands off!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Of course not. Lets reverse the situation: what if a cyclist was riding hard on the pavement...

At what speed were they pushing these buggies towards you?

I imagine they're using it not because of the surface but because it wider and they can have a chat as they walk along. That's down to a poor design but it's irresponsible to put babies on a bike path. I often fly along there at 35 kph. It's right of Alex to at least raise the issue.

It is legal to push buggies two abreast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

bcmf wrote: »
    HR deffo way up.Starting to feel a bit jittery. And feeling really really warm.

You'll be fine. Top up by another double espresso at 5pm and get a good training session in.

At what speed were they pushing these buggies towards you?

They were risking their children safety at very slow speed indeed sir.

It was not a problem for me in that particular situation, maybe slight annoyance. But if a cyclist was approaching from behind them, gave a shout and they move in the wrong way? Or if they were behind a bend, and I was going bit faster?

But hypothetical situations aside, they should not have been there, same as cyclists are not supposed to cycle on the footpath or break red lights, even though it can be considered "safe" sometimes by some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Four abreast - did you not see the picture?
    No problem in sharing the cycle path (even though the footpath wasn't actually that bad) but as they are "guests" here I would expect to go in single line at least.
    Was one buggy overtaking? I think there is a legal exemption allowing buggies to be two abreast (or four abreast) if one is overtaking the other.

Prime Time will be moaning about cyclists looking into road rage and cyclists tonight at 2135.

You'll be fine. Top up by another double espresso at 5pm and get a good training session in.

Gotta go over to The Beacon Clinic straight from work where they have a free coffee machine. I may not sleep tonight

The situations are not even comparable.
    They were risking their children safety at very slow speed indeed sir.

It was not a problem for me in that particular situation, maybe slight annoyance. But if a cyclist was approaching from behind them, gave a shout and they move in the wrong way? Or if they were behind a bend, and I was going bit faster?

But hypothetical situations aside, they should not have been there, same as cyclists are not supposed to cycle on the footpath.

I am hoping your first sentece here is a joke ;)

If they move the wrong way then the cyclist was moving to fast for the situation. Likewise for the blind bend, if you chose to cycle as if you were expecting no obstructions, then that's not very wise.

They may not have been there, but their alternative is not fantastic. I don't see any issue with this at all. They moved for you, albeit not as fast as you would have liked them to, but so what?

The situations are not even comparable.

They certainly are. Almost stationary pedestrian and a cyclist going fast - the only difference is who was supposed / not expected to be where.
    I am hoping your first sentece here is a joke

A semi joke.
    They may not have been there, but their alternative is not fantastic.

This sentence can be used to defend many illegal activities, you know? Yet try to say this about cycling on footpath on this forum. Or breaking red lights in motoring :D
    They moved for you, albeit not as fast as you would have liked them to, but so what?

So I was going fast and concerned for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I notice that they aren't wearing high vis or helmets either.. tut tut ..

They certainly are. Almost stationary pedestrian and a cyclist going fast - the only difference is who was supposed / not expected to be where.

I don't think they are the same at all. The perpetrators are going at completely different speeds etc etc.
    This sentence can be used to defend many illegal activities, you know? Yet try to say this about cycling on footpath on this forum. Or breaking red lights in motoring :D

Are you really comparing breaking a read light with chosing an alternative to a path which is in disrepair? Again, these are not comparable. Being a law, doesn't make them comparable.
    So I was going fast and concerned for the kids.

So slow down if you are so concerned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The buggies weren't supposed to be there. You don't cycle in that cycle lane expecting buggies to be there. If is was just the path and a busy road it wouldn't be ok to wheel the buggies out onto the road, same argument here.

There was a tractor on the M50 once, it had a top speed of 40kph. By your reasoning Iamxavier, all traffic on the M50 should only do 40kph just in case. That's not how it works.

I think this is a great example of how badly maintained footpaths and adjacent cycle lanes don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gadetra wrote: »
    ...There was a tractor on the M50 once, it had a top speed of 40kph....
    Was it doing 40km/h or did it have a top speed of 40km/h? (The regulations stipulate that the vehicle must be capable of 50km/h - not that they have to travel at 50km/h.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There was a tractor on the M50 once, it had a top speed of 40kph.

Tractors shouldn't be on motorways either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tractors shouldn't be on motorways either.

Some may.

Expect the unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Idleater wrote: »
    Some may.

Expect the unexpected.

Key to travelling by any mode of transport really.

Alek - the cycle path from east point out to Sutton on any day that I have used it is used by walkers, jiggers, cyclists, dogs etc.

Sure they were in the wrong but cycling in a urban/suburban zone is hardly ideal for wanting to go fast.
    Someone mentioned 35km - in an urban setting with commuters and walkers present inconsiderate at relatively fast and could be construed as irresponsible.

Use the road if you don't want to meet walkers in that stretch - I have never used it and not encountered pedestrians.

Fwiw I have a set of twins. When they were young enough to be in a buggy, the double buggy is heavy and cumbersome. It is simply not as easy to manoeuvre as a single buggy. Maybe it simply took them a bit more time than you would expect for them to move?

So slow down if you are so concerned.

So I did, with no chip on my honour - no need to be bitter.

Please note guys that I wasn't fuming, shouting, shaking fists or anything. I have two kids myself that go in a double buggy, but I am trying to be as much considerate as possible when it comes to getting in the way of someone. Which happens all the time whenever I'm in the city, doing shopping, navigating through streets broad and narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

That's four abreast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

through streets broad and narrow.

Crying "Cockles and muscles. Alive alive oh!"

Another insightful expose on cycling on primetime tonight:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Primetime is going to be discussing cyclists tonight. Wear a helmet to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tune in as Miriam takes on the scourge of Dublin streets!
    fvlgu1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ronoc wrote: »
    Another insightful expose on cycling on primetime tonight:rolleyes:

I think George Hook is coming on as an expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    I think George Hook is coming on as an expert
    .....and Finian McGrath to ensure a balanced debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

RainyDay wrote: »
    Four abreast - did you not see the picture?

Was one buggy overtaking? I think there is a legal exemption allowing buggies to be two abreast (or four abreast) if one is overtaking the other.
    Now come on, every one knows that the norm when raising kids is one a breast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Crying "Cockles and muscles. Alive alive oh!"

cockle hockers...whelk flingers

So I did, with no chip on my honour - no need to be bitter.

Please note guys that I wasn't fuming, shouting, shaking fists or anything. I have two kids myself that go in a double buggy, but I am trying to be as much considerate as possible when it comes to getting in the way of someone. Which happens all the time whenever I'm in the city, doing shopping, navigating through streets broad and narrow.

Not bitter at all. I just see it as a non event. It's what happens when you travel by any mode of transport. People are everywhere. Sure we can set rules and make laws, but many people are ignorant and/or don't care. We would need another subforum for posts like these as everybody here runs into obstacles, which shouldn't be there, all the time.
    The buggies weren't supposed to be there. You don't cycle in that cycle lane expecting buggies to be there. If is was just the path and a busy road it wouldn't be ok to wheel the buggies out onto the road, same argument here.

There was a tractor on the M50 once, it had a top speed of 40kph. By your reasoning Iamxavier, all traffic on the M50 should only do 40kph just in case. That's not how it works.

I think this is a great example of how badly maintained footpaths and adjacent cycle lanes don't work.

When I cycle in that lane I would expect anything and everything. Mostly runners/joggers I would say. I use the road there sometimes too but I am two minds about it. Cars do crazy speeds along that stretch.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect everybody on the M50 to do 40kph, that's stretching it just a little, no? ;) Just drive/cycle/walk with care is all I am trying to convey.

I just see it as a non event.

Do not even dare to read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056767318 :P

Incidentally, if Averil Power does run as an Independent in the next general election, guess who she'll be in competition with? Finian McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Incidentally, if Averil Power does run as an Independent in the next general election, guess who she'll be in competition with? Finian McGrath.

If she does run as an independent, she better not run on the cycle track...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement