Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Since my cat is no longer available to discuss this type of stuff, you lot are going to have to put up with it.

hashtag:something.

What happened you your coach/overlord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gadetra wrote: »
    What happened you your coach/overlord?

Just didn't come back after her run about the place last Sunday.

Lord knows what happened to her or where she went.

She could be trapped someone's gaff who went on holiday last weekend :/ Who knows?

We've hammered the crap out of "Social Meejia" about it but no joy. But there are lots of nice people out there helping, we've discovered. It's quite heartening.

Besides that, I'm heartbroken*

*note to self, don't love anything, ever, bar maybe your bike, which is lovely, in fairness.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Maybe her dictatorial work is done with you and she has gone to rule over another people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CramCycle wrote: »
    Only got through the first 15 minutes (had to go elsewhere not because I couldn't watch it). Have to say, the power of a select viewpoint is interesting. I had taken the view of the shoulder from Cavendish was just him being a sprinter and defending his line, but looking at the Argos camera and the select cuts of him before the race, it looked like Cavendish was as guilty as f*ck.

I will watch the rest but as a question, do you really think the documentary is impartial or non biased?
    TBH I dont know. I enjoyed it and it showed the pressure of life inside the Tour form the joy of winning and with having just one goal- Kittel- and the team focused on that to Veelers havong to pack as a result of his injuries. Although he didnt look too sad to be packing.
    omri wrote: »
    Seen it too just few days ago - interesting how Kittel went from yes its Cavs fault right after the crash to completely opposite conclusion at the end of the movie.

I think you could say Cavendish was just him being a sprinter and defending his line but not when it resulted in the other guy hitting the ground.

Interesting to see daily life of the team during the tour, my wife thought Kittel wasnt a nice guy.

Having seen the crash form overhead point of view I dont think there ,in my mind anyhow,any doubt that Cav had the intention of making contact with Veelers. I think Kittel had to try and take a leaders role and try and diffuse a situation that wasnt going away. Veeleers wasnt backing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Maybe her dictatorial work is done with you and she has gone to rule over another people?
    I think you've got the making of a TV programme somewhere here. The feline version of The Littlest Hobo, The Littlest Dictator.

#Maybe tomorrow, I'll take the Sudetenland,
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.#

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Im a bit speechless at this.. (strong language)
    Mental stuff
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd turn for him! The team at the time looked like they got on great together.
    I liked the doctor, seemed on the straight and narrow with a bit of humour.
    bcmf wrote: »
    TBH I dont know. I enjoyed it and it showed the pressure of life inside the Tour form the joy of winning and with having just one goal- Kittel- and the team focused on that to Veelers havong to pack as a result of his injuries. Although he didnt look too sad to be packing.
    He looked like a realist but struck me as not having that alpha personality needed to win. I thought the stripping of his numbers when he packed was a bit ritualistic and sad,
    Having seen the crash form overhead point of view I dont think there ,in my mind anyhow,any doubt that Cav had the intention of making contact with Veelers. I think Kittel had to try and take a leaders role and try and diffuse a situation that wasnt going away. Veeleers wasnt backing down.
    He wasn't, manager said say nothing to the media and he walked off the bus and said it was clearly intentional. I agree with Veelers attitude for most of it but as with any team, your boss says do something, you do it. Marcel was clearly trying to be the diplomat much to the annoyance of his team mates but he was trying to do the right thing.

Cav still came across terribly, I await the day where he doesn't come across badly on TV though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mental stuff

He wasn't, manager said say nothing to the media and he walked off the bus and said it was clearly intentional. I agree with Veelers attitude for most of it but as with any team, your boss says do something, you do it. Marcel was clearly trying to be the diplomat much to the annoyance of his team mates but he was trying to do the right thing.

Cav still came across terribly, I await the day where he doesn't come across badly on TV though.
    Agreed. The DS/Management should have never have let Veelers speak to the media.

Have a link to that film? I can only find the trailer.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have a link to that film? I can only find the trailer.

This on the netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

11214043_10152958737973691_3792138247290512233_n.jpg?oh=b5e76c47f236ee08b9a25d5fa0c0d803&oe=5602A299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My 2.5 year old daughter just slipped and ran into the bookcase. When I asked her if she was OK her response was , "go away pain!" And then ran off without a bother on her.

First female tour winner in the making here.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Of all the scenarios we have gone through (most being not good according to the missus) I like to think she snuck into someone's car (she was quite nosey like that) who was at a Communion Party in the estate last weekend and that her destiny was to end up with an old lady who just lost her husband or something like that.

That's how she kind off ended up with us and she helped my missus through a rough time.

She disappeared the same night my missus went for her first spin on the bike too and decided she liked it, a lot, and I hope cycling will be her new distraction.

Life can be very mysterious at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Im a bit speechless at this.. (strong language

Wow, yea, this guy went full retard in the middle of the road at that bicyclist, and looks like it's not going down well with his customers either: facebook.com/BrewCafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Wow, yea, this guy went full retard in the middle of the road at that bicyclist, and looks like it's not going down well with his customers either: facebook.com/BrewCafe

That is very offensive terminology to be using this this context. This might help to explain why.

When I saw the link to the restaurant, I thought you might be talking about this incident - slightly worse and really cowardly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

OK, he "Unleashed his inner Wild Ape"....:pac:

(apologies to ape lovers everywhere!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

SpectacularElasticBuffalo.gif

Sure thats only a €400 piece of equipment Bertie..

Sure thats only a €400 piece of equipment Bertie..

Shouldn't be there in any way shape or form. There have been numerous incidents with cameras poking into races already this year alone, and indeed in this Giro - Is a camera worth more than Daniele Colli's arm for example? It is the absolute pit of behaviour, and the irony being that there's a good chance they are a cycling fan as they are there watching the race. Pure, abject stupidity.

Shouldn't be there in any way shape or form. There have been numerous incidents with cameras poking into races already this year alone, and indeed in this Giro - Is a camera worth more than Daniele Colli's arm for example? It is the absolute pit of behaviour, and the irony being that there's a good chance they are a cycling fan as they are there watching the race. Pure, abject stupidity.

Can't the same be said for the motorbike cameras...

Yep, they have indeed caused accidents. However, they're highly experienced drivers there to do a job. Accidents happen, but sticking a camera into the peleton on a stick is pure stupid, it can't be reasonably defended in any way shape or form. Big difference between a camera bike with vast amounts of experience moving up through and around a fast moving peleton, and some absolute idiot at the side of a race poking a camera into the peleton on a stick. Yes accidents happen, but there is a world of difference between the two in terms of awareness and experience and risk.

• Advertisement

I fully agree with you and Im not defending the stupidity of sticking a camera into a peleton but as its the gif I posted it looks fairly harmless and would have thought smacking it down on to the road was pretty silly

it looks fairly harmless and would have thought smacking it down on to the road was pretty silly

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Hey Zyzz,

If you wake up surrounded by an army of cats...well we'll miss you man.

*assembles feral squadrons*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wether it's supposed to be there or not, you don't destroy somebodies property.

Wether it's supposed to be there or not, you don't destroy somebodies property.

I think physical engagement is a lot more serious than a broken camera! Take your pick of intruding camera incidents from this year, this Giro even ( as a said before, see Daniele Colli's arm Is that worth more than personal property?)

I actually think there should be severe penalties for the perpetrators of these incidents. We are rightly outraged when car doors are opened on cyclists, sometimes the resulting injury is bad sometimes It's not. This is the same. Just because no one was injured this time does not make it ok. I don't know what the offence should be, GBH maybe? It's reckless endangerment, and for what? Do you think the photos the woman who broke Daniele Colli's arm are worth the pain, suffering, surgery, recovery, possibly career threatening time off training and racing? Please!

Aside from the obvious danger of such a stupid, brainless action, it disrupts the rhythm of a race, and if you're any kind of fan at all this kind of thing is irreprehensible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

I think physical engagement is a lot more serious than a broken camera! Take your pick of intruding camera incidents from this year, this Giro even ( as a said before, see Daniele Colli's arm Is that worth more than personal property?)

I actually think there should be severe penalties for the perpetrators of these incidents. We are rightly outraged when car doors are opened on cyclists, sometimes the resulting injury is bad sometimes It's not. This is the same. Just because no one was injured this time does not make it ok. I don't know what the offence should be, GBH maybe? It's reckless endangerment, and for what? Do you think the photos the woman who broke Daniele Colli's arm are worth the pain, suffering, surgery, recovery, possibly career threatening time off training and racing? Please!

Aside from the obvious danger of such a stupid, brainless action, it disrupts the rhythm of a race, and if you're any kind of fan at all this kind of thing is irreprehensible.

Reaching UP to hit the camera looked more dusruptive, it wasn't in the peloton it was above it and the extension stick more likely to disrupt the cyclists behind when they had to ride around/over it

roverrules wrote: »
    Reaching UP to hit the camera looked more dusruptive, it wasn't in the peloton it was above it and the extension stick more likely to disrupt the cyclists behind when they had to ride around/over it

Exactly. He should be applauded for thinking of others! What about taller riders beside/behind him?!! He didn't reach up that far either, it was about head height. The more the pro's whack this crap down the less the monumentally stupid will do it.

Not all crowd intervention is bad (see Adam Hansen on the Zoncolan last year, Michael Matthews eating pizza this year etc. Etc.), but putting a stick into a bunch is indefensible. How do they think that's gonna work out?! Putting a stick into a racing bunch? It's pure senseless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just to say I'm enjoying all the posts in my time off the bike.. Why time off, well when I was breaking in my Brooks B17 I got a small blister behind my nut sack just wasn't healing, I was constantly cleaning it, or putting liberal amounts of vasaline on it prior to cycles etc

Then after the Cycle4DSI I decided the only 'cure' was time off the saddle.

The bike has never been cleaner or better lubricated, only thing stopping me getting out at the moment is a severe bout of Gastroenteritis (I'm into day 5).

But I'm enjoying all your posts still and can't wait to get posting again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^ are you getting out on the other bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lennymc wrote: »
    ^^^ are you getting out on the other bike?

The motorbike?.. Yes I've been using it while I'm off the bicycle.

But tbh I'd rather the bicycle for commuting, plus I've a Judo competition on the 20th and could do with the extra cardio the bicycle gives me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Argh, Mak :(

Got my first sore in a long long time last week. Not cool.

Unrelated:

Does anyone know any shops in Dublin that stock the CTC Bike Bag or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

OldBean wrote: »
    Does anyone know any shops in Dublin that stock the CTC Bike Bag or similar?

Let me know if you find one.

My current plan is to head to a bed shop and get a cover off a mattress.

Alternatively, I met a german cyclist on the Eoin McLove 600 who had just rolled up to the checkin desk in Frankfurt with the bike and handed it over as is. No bars turned, no pedals off, no air out of tyres, no problem. I wonder will that work on his way home tomorrow?...

If it's Aer Lingus, then apparently he shouldn't have a problem - I asked them about rolling up with the bike and they said it'll be grand. Which it probably will - I've flown with some pretty bulky objects for work and they've always seemed pretty unfazed.

I'm a bit too precious for bringing my bike through in the nude though. And would like to fill up my panniers and handlebar bag to make life easier, but don't fancy losing them along the way. I'm going to spin over to Cycleways and Cyclebike in a few, then maybe Woodies if I've no joy in those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... and the irony being that there's a good chance they are a cycling fan as they are there watching the race. Pure, abject stupidity.
    He appears to be wearing lycra so is a cyclist himself.
    You're comparing chalk and cheese. While there have been incidents involving motorcycles, those camera crews are there in an official capacity. We wouldn't have racing at that level without them.
    ....I actually think there should be severe penalties for the perpetrators of these incidents...
    That dickhead in the TDF a few years back comes to mind. At the summit of Alpe d'Huez he stepped out in front of the leading breakaway Italian rider to take his picture at point blank range and brought him down. Luckily he managed to get back on and win the stage but it could have been disastrous for the rider (sorry can't remember who it was).

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Let me know if you find one.

My current plan is to head to a bed shop and get a cover off a mattress.

Alternatively, I met a german cyclist on the Eoin McLove 600 who had just rolled up to the checkin desk in Frankfurt with the bike and handed it over as is. No bars turned, no pedals off, no air out of tyres, no problem. I wonder will that work on his way home tomorrow?...

No luck with the CTC bag in any of the Dublin shops. Lots of offers of bike bags that cost 200-500, but I'd have to take my bike apart, including my full mudguards. And I swore plenty getting them on the first time, I've no desire to get kicked out of the airport.

I also wouldn't be able keep the panniers on.

Might swing up to Woodies tonight.

Any ideas which'd be thickest?

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/category/dust-sheets/2.22.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

That dickhead in the TDF a few years back comes to mind. At the summit of Alpe d'Huez he stepped out in front of the leading breakaway Italian rider to take his picture at point blank range and brought him down. Luckily he managed to get back on and win the stage but it could have been disastrous for the rider (sorry can't remember who it was).

Giuseppe Guerini was the rider.

God knows how many other gob****es with phones/tablets/selfie sticks they encounter during every stage. We the viewers probably only see the tip of the iceberg caught on TV.
    I'm screaming at the TV when someone runs behind the camera bike to get on TV, seemingly uninterested in the race just a couple of feet behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

AstraMonti wrote: »

Raam! Astra's being mean about yer bikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Raam! Astra's being mean about yer bikes!

He is right. I looked at it the other day and they are mostly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

BBC emergency services program has just shown a roadside on-road thoracotomy on a cyclist crushed by a truck - possibly the most graphic thing I've seen, as they re-started her now visibly-beating heart an inch from the tarmac :eek:. I assume & hope it ended well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My hope is with her, but as far as I know open chest resuscitation has 3% survivability rate.... :( I am shocked to hear this was aired though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

:eek:

[EDIT] Those posts ^^ weren't there when I typed this :/

Off topic and all.... but my cat/overlord is back.

24yqm9j.jpg

I'm delighted. :o

My missus is over the moon! :)

Said cat must have got locking in a house/shed of a family who went on holidays 9 days ago.

She's quite skinny but alive and well as far as I can tell. Internets says feed her really small doses of protein food and take her to the vet tomorrow.

I have my Dawn Cycling buddy back!

6jou0x.jpg

I just would like to mention that I maintained my emotional integrity during this whole saga, especially when she came back.

Awww delighted for you!

I wonder what plans she has for you now she is back, and what she learned on her travels…

ETA There should be more cat pictures. Just saying...

Alek wrote: »
    My hope is with her, but as far as I know open chest resuscitation has 3% survivability rate.... :( I am shocked to hear this was aired though.
    Unfortunately, she indeed didn't survive :(, RIP

Yeah, I have major reservations about where cameras are pointed and what ends up on TV for these programs. (& Probably should watch them for that reason)

In this case it was clear that the famly gave consent, as they were interviewed at the end, but how in the name of God do the medical services and producers even bring up with them the fact that they have the footage?...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Unfortunately, she indeed didn't survive :(, RIP

Yeah, I have major reservations about where cameras are pointed and what ends up on TV for these programs. (& Probably should watch them for that reason)

In this case it was clear that the famly gave consent, as they were interviewed at the end, but how in the name of God do the medical services and producers even bring up with them the fact that they have the footage?...

Some interesting research some years ago suggested families appreciated seeing efforts at resuscitation even if they failed. Seeing them helped them cope and seemed to reassure them everything that could have been was done.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Some interesting research some years ago suggested families appreciated seeing efforts at resuscitation even if they failed. Seeing them helped them cope and seemed to reassure them everything that could have been was done.

I wonder though how much healing is done by having the resuscitation broadcast to strangers is?

There may be merit for safety, prevention etc. but there is also a kind of morbid fascination factor, a spectacle of horror and fetishization of same.

Maybe it's between the both of them it is?

RobFowl wrote: »
    I can appreciate that that could be the case, all right.

In the opposite direction, though, I read that an episode of a New York-based med program that was airing here recently featured a dying patient who the producers though was aqequitely anonomysed by having his face blurred. Turned out that his widow, who must not have been informed of the filming, got a nasty shock when she watched the show and easily recognised him from other details (as did one of her neighbours).

I was even saddened myself to see one of my former neighbours (who passed away a while later, RIP) on an Irish hospital documentary a few years ago having a painfuul arterial blood draw :(. You assume the individual's consent is acquired, but with very sick elderly patients, for example...what would that even mean? :(

I can appreciate that that could be the case, all right.

Agreed.

You assume the individual's consent is acquired, but with very sick elderly patients, for example...what would that even mean? :(

Exactly. How can you honestly acquire consent and for what reason? I think the ethics of these programs is iffy, yet people watch them, for the same reason people slow down going by car crashes etc. I wonder about what it means that these things are broadcast so freely (look at the success of 24 Hours in A&E, and One Born Every Minute, both of which I have watched :o). Given how sanitized life is now, (we no longer butcher our own meat, kill animals etc. in the majority) is it like death where people are so far from the physical reality of it that when it happens there is such a distance from it's materiality in the ritual (less so in Ireland, certainly down the country. I seen more dead bodies going to wakes/removals/funerals by the time I was ten that I ever will since due to going to then with the father) so we don't have to deal with the body.

• Advertisement

(Apologies for bringing sombreness to the Road Tax thread :o)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement