Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    About time they brought in ANPR cameras.!

The only question is why it took so long and how come only at one single Luas junction? The one at O'Connell street and at the back of the Four courts has had it's fair share of collisions?
    i was 80% convinced there used to be one on the N4 where it crossed the south circular road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i was 80% convinced there used to be one on the N4 where it crossed the south circular road.

There are definitely CCTV on a few cameras as I know Tallaght Gardai keep an eye on some of them (I rang to let them know that the set of lights were out and people were getting awfully stupid, to which they let me know, not to worry, we are looking at it on the camera), and I think there were some on O'Connell bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, there was one at the N4 citybound at the junction with Kilmainham, I've seen it flash people before. If it actually took photos though is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any other cameras up until now were just CCTV monitored by Gardai or Council officials?
    According to the Department of Transport:
    “An Garda Siochána’s PULSE system is now linked to the new red light cameras at this junction, automating the process of issuing fixed charge notices for this particularly dangerous road traffic offence.
    “Breaking red lights incurs 3 penalty points and a fine of up to €120 on payment of the fixed charge.
    This technology may be applied to other junctions in Dublin, and in other parts of the country, where motorists breaking red lights is particularly problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

awec wrote: »
    All of the pictures in that article are brilliant:

angry4.jpg
    reminds me of Razor Ruddock

293868_1.jpg

W---Neal-Ruddock.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, there was one at the N4 citybound at the junction with Kilmainham, I've seen it flash people before. If it actually took photos though is another story.
    cool, so i wasn't hallucinating.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this. My left crank arm came off, and I appear to have lost a bolt or cover that helps keep it on, not sure if I lost it before or after.

It's an FSA omega compact crankset from a 2010 Focus Mares CX bike.

Not sure if this is what I need, or just a cover of some sort. - Crank bolt

Link to pic of crank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help me with this. My left crank arm came off, and I appear to have lost a bolt or cover that helps keep it on, not sure if I lost it before or after.

It's an FSA omega compact crankset from a 2010 Focus Mares CX bike.

Not sure if this is what I need, or just a cover of some sort. - Crank bolt

Link to pic of crank
    The pinch bolts keep it on, that end cap is really just there to push the crank on before the pinch bolts are tightened. So you will need one the next time you fit your cranks, but I wouldn't worry about riding it provided that the pinch bolts are adequately tightened now.

Ah I see. They were holding it on fine til my incident trying SPD's for the first time and came lose then after a quick fix thanks to a pot hole and my jumping off a kerb.

Need some better Allen keys I think.

Will that cap help in anyway or similar. I'm thinking about getting rid of the bike anyway but would like to ensure all is grand with it and this is the outstanding issue

• Advertisement

Will that cap help in anyway or similar. I'm thinking about getting rid of the bike anyway but would like to ensure all is grand with it and this is the outstanding issue
    Yes, it'll at least keep muck out of the threads.

Dunno if that's exactly the one you need. I'd take it into a bike shop, they're bound to have some lying around for you to check before you buy.

I'll have to try a couple of shops tomorrow or Saturday I guess. Had my "LBS" (it's the travelling one) look at it, and has the part, but keeps forgetting it, though in fairness I keep telling him I'll send him a reminder and forget myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Tayto Park is a real thing? :eek:
    I assumed it was a joke, but apparently its got a rollercoaster now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

It's real, or perhaps surreal is more appropriate - part fun park, part zoo with a Mr Tatyo theme run roughly over the two. It's good fun with kids (probably more the over 6's), but at the end of the day it's a big fecking field in darkest Meath and is cold on all but the warmest days. The do give out 'free' Tatyo with entry though!

Paddy

PS for bonus fun you can tell your kids that Mr Tatyo likes to eat kids hair and watch the run from attempted hugs :D

I love Tayto Park. Best potato-theme park in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Misery is, cleared my schedule including deferring some work stuff tonight so I could get in some KMs on my good bike with my lovely new Arione and developing a throat, sinus, chest infectiony thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    It's real, or perhaps surreal is more appropriate - part fun park, part zoo with a Mr Tatyo theme run roughly over the two. It's good fun with kids (probably more the over 6's), but at the end of the day it's a big fecking field in darkest Meath and is cold on all but the warmest days. The do give out 'free' Tatyo with entry though!

Paddy

PS for bonus fun you can tell your kids that Mr Tatyo likes to eat kids hair and watch the run from attempted hugs :D
    Does it have a Tunnel of Goats? :D

Question:

I currently have a 12-30 Tiagra cassette.

Even in the hilliest sections I find myself only rarely using the 30t I do however spin the lowest 12t cog out from time to time.

Would a 10 speed ultegra 11-28 cassette be an option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ronoc wrote: »
    Question:

Even in the hilliest sections I find myself only rarely using the 30t I do however spin the lowest 12t cog out from time to time.

Yes as long as the tiagra you have is 10 speed as well. The older ones are 9. Other than that shimano stuff is interchangeable ( apart from the electronic stuff but only Beasty can afford that anyways ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ronoc wrote: »
    Question:

Yup. So would the tiagra version. Also the 11-25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Anyone know where I could pick up a decent pair of arm warmers around Dublin?
    Would order online but looking to have them for Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

Try Lidl or Aldi before ordering online. Got a pair in one of those for 10€ and they are great. If you are in the car then cycle superstore Tallaght or the large cycle shop (?name) beside the NCT centre in Fonthill might have best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Halfords have arm warmers, I think they're around €9:99

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tbh any bike shop will have them, I'd avoid the lidl or aldi ones ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Place is brilliant. Was there with family two years back at Halloween. Christ the haunted house was terrifying - I was warned not to bring the twins in (they were five at the time). One wouldn't go in and ran to his mammy, the other one and my eldest kid went in. Big mistake. Properly frightening.
    The zip lines and high wire stuff is cool, while the animals are an added bonus. I just love buffalo and all sorts of shaggy bovines really. Beautiful beasts. My missus loves tayto and she chased MrTayto to get a kiss:o
    Nice day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    I love Tayto Park. Best potato-theme park in the world.
    Better than Potato City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd rather they didn't have all the animals they have there, other than the bovine type you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

ROK ON wrote: »
    I just love buffalo

Love you too! :*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RobFowl wrote: »
    Tbh any bike shop will have them, I'd avoid the lidl or aldi ones ...

I picked up a pair of Lidl arm warmers two years ago, they've been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Funnily enough TK Maxx have brand name ones for about the €20 mark - the one in the lilac centre does anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The difference between the Lidl aldi arm warmers and even basic Altura ones in terms of comfort is considerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cycleways on Parnell Street do the Specialized ones.

the one in the lilac centre does anyway.
    they've had the painters in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Nice bike blog here - and this particular post is about an Irish-made bicycle light http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/seeing-sense-in-local-manufacturing.html#more

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Look at the feckin size of him. Pretty sure his thigh is as wide as my entire body.

toast=cruelty to cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

buffalo wrote: »
    Love you too! :*
    I was asking for that to be fair.
    Touché.:p

Funnily enough TK Maxx have brand name ones for about the €20 mark - the one in the lilac centre does anyway.

I was in there earlier. They have a few mavic, sugoi and some other brand that I can't recall. Not many left, down near the tills/runners on the ground floor

but how realistic is this? if you maintain your position on the treadmill, you're not actually changing your potential energy so you don't have to provide that energy yourself. granted, you're also having to expend energy to stop yourself from rolling backwards due to the angle as well as the treadmill running beneath you. but are they equivalent?
    looks like i was not the only one to ask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNedIJBZpgM#t=3m30s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

LBS charging 11 euro for a tube..

*monocle falls from eye*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »

*monocle falls from eye*
    3 for a tenner in Halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sweden's Vision Zero cut traffic deaths after they made road designers responsible for users' safety (including 31kp/h limits on all urban roads, and a huge network of cameras, not to bully people but to nudge people)

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/11/the-swedish-approach-to-road-safety-the-accident-is-not-the-major-problem/382995/

(and separating cyclists and pedestrians from motorists at most times)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-16

Zyzz wrote: »

*monocle falls from eye*

For just the tube? Typically I see a tenner for tube and replacing it for you so that's just scandalous unless its a magic, self inflating tube

For just the tube? Typically I see a tenner for tube and replacing it for you so that's just scandalous unless its a magic, self inflating tube

In the shop near my house (not my lbs, oddly enough), they had 16euro on the tubes. I was stuck so thought, well, has to be done. Said I would fit it myself as I was in a rush. Only charged me 7euro at the till. I presume its too put people off or to cover fitting.

Glad it wasn't 16 but it still seems shocking for a fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Yup, just the tube, no fitting or anything. SwimCycleRun have them for 6 quid, I'm all for supporting my LBS.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The city of London is trialling thermal cameras and radar sensors along cycle lanes, to adjust for people on bikes rather than at a regular set of traffic lights being designed for motor vehicles only...

We should see them here in 20 years.. after we just got the first Anpr camera at that Luas junction this week! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

How much do you think i would i get for a second hand <snip>

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eoz wrote: »
    How much do you think i would i get for a second hand <snip>
    Asking here may encourage others to contact you directly, and could essentially turn this into an ad, which is strictly forbidden. Do your own research - check prices in our sub-forum, adverts.ie, donedeal, ebay etc - you will get a good enough idea from there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hello.

My bike is about 20 years old and I've no gloves or other gear. Is buying online better than bricks and mortar, or..? Thinking of value for money and the lousy exchange rate at the moment. Heading to Asia on a cycling trip (Red Spokes) later in the year and have had some advice in PM thanks to a few of ye, but where do I start with this forum? Am having a look at the charter and list of popular threads.

i have a spoke which is constantly coming loose on me; tighten it up and 20km later i have to stop to tighten it again. interestingly, it's the only spoke on the wheel that isn't original (the rest are bladed, this is not). am i simply not tightening it enough, or could there be something else at play?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement