Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with all the talk about the hour record, and should and shouldn't be allowed, perhaps we need some new cycle competitions with new rules.
    i would propose a TdF where drugs are legal, but the spectators get to choose which drugs the cyclists take.
    and wheelieing should be an olympic sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And why should senior management get two "banking days" when banking is now available online, by phone or at the ATM, at least for normal humans?

Plenty of things you can't do online or via phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And yet when I asked my boss for an extra days pay or extra days holiday to go to the bank, he laughed manically, almost as if he thought, we all have this problem, so jog on.

• Advertisement

How does everyone else manage those things I will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

CramCycle wrote: »
    And yet when I asked my boss for an extra days pay or extra days holiday to go to the bank, he laughed manically, almost as if he thought, we all have this problem, so jog on.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    How does everyone else manage those things I will never know.

Don't be jumping to conclusions lads/ladies ;). Making a statement, not taking sides. I go to the bank on my lunch break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And why should senior management get two "banking days" when banking is now available online, by phone or at the ATM, at least for normal humans?
    the issue is not the reason for it, the issue is that they have *already* been given them as 'privilege days' (i think they're called).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Is there any particular evidence or report of this 'bank day' dispute? It wouldn't just be an urban myth or a historical thing, would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Instead of trying to make them work more, we should all be striving to work less.
    Anyway, hours worked has no correlation with the wealth of a nation (in the OECD). It nearly seems like an inverse relationship...

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

Amen to that. I like work and I like where I work. No issue in putting in long hours when required. But inthinkmthenworkimgbweeknshould be 3.5 to 4 days. So much time is wasted in work in both private and public sector.

Leisure time is productive for the economy - during leisure time folks spend money. Buying stuff and services that companies make or provide. This keeps the wheels of commerce turning. Consequently by impeccable logic I deduce that less time off means less time to consume which is bad for economies.
    Consumption is good. More leisure means more consumption. rp so provide more holidays.
    Jeez this economic policy stuff is so easy. :D

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Leisure time is productive for the economy - during leisure time folks spend money. Buying stuff and services that companies make or provide. This keeps the wheels of commerce turning. Consequently by impeccable logic I deduce that less time off means less time to consume which is bad for economies.
    Consumption is good. More leisure means more consumption. rp so provide more holidays.
    Jeez this economic policy stuff is so easy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. I go to the bank on my lunch break.
    The original 'bank time' came in as a concession in negotiations to move payment of wages from cash to cheque. At the time banks only opened to the public between 10 and 12 noon and 2 to 4. Naturally, staff who worked 'office hours' were concerned about getting their cheque cashed (as it couldn't be done at lunchtime) and hence an agreement was reached that, on pay day they'd be allowed out for 30 mins or whatever it was to get to the bank.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is there any particular evidence or report of this 'bank day' dispute? It wouldn't just be an urban myth or a historical thing, would it?

CPSU have it on their site and the usual media outlets reported on it earlier this week
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/union-hopeful-of-payback-for-lost-bank-time-31284612.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm sure there is probably an answer for this but I'm asking anyways...

Is there a boards.ie or moderator reson why there isn't a Cycling Events/Sportive forum here for "clubs" etc to put up their events?

That Cycling Ireland calendar is a huge pile of bollix. I'd be embarrassed if I was them. Totally useless.

Can't boards.ie leverage this for their own purposes? Was it too much Mod work? Commercial or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't be jumping to conclusions lads/ladies ;). Making a statement, not taking sides. I go to the bank on my lunch break.

You get a lunch break???!!! Ah here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm sure there is probably an answer for this but I'm asking anyways...

Is there a boards.ie or moderator reson why there isn't a Cycling Events/Sportive forum here for "clubs" etc to put up their events?

That Cycling Ireland calendar is a huge pile of bollix. I'd be embarrassed if I was them. Totally useless.

Can't boards.ie leverage this for their own purposes? Was it too much Mod work? Commercial or something?

Forums get created when they get requested by a large number of people - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Nothing to do with moderators or commercial reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The original 'bank time' came in as a concession in negotiations to move payment of wages from cash to cheque. At the time banks only opened to the public between 10 and 12 noon and 2 to 4.

Banks closed at 3pm, in fact. But the rest of us peasants managed to go to the bank in our time off or on our days off. Even organising a whole mortgage, a Corporation loan, bridging finance, car loan, multiple direct debits and standing orders and even withdrawals, without ATMs! If you had to use time-off-in-lieu days or even days from your annual leave to do so, this was what you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. the rest of us peasants managed to go to the bank in our time off or on our days off. Even organising a whole mortgage, a Corporation loan, bridging finance, car loan, multiple direct debits and standing orders and even withdrawals, without ATMs! If you had to use time-off-in-lieu days or even days from your annual leave to do so, this was what you did.
    Don't shoot the messenger!

It is illegal for an employer to change an employee's method of payment without their consent (or the consent of a representative of the employee). Hence, the 'bank time' was used as leverage during negotiations.

CPSU have it on their site and the usual media outlets reported on it earlier this week
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/union-hopeful-of-payback-for-lost-bank-time-31284612.html
    The only reference to bank time on the CPSU site is from 2011. It wouldn't be possible that the Indo is spinning, making a mountain out of a molehill, would it?

RainyDay wrote: »
    The only reference to bank time on the CPSU site is from 2011. It wouldn't be possible that the Indo is spinning, making a mountain out of a molehill, would it?

Nah, there was a guy from the CPSU on Newstalk breakfast talking about it earlier this week. Plus I read it in other publications, that was the first I saw of it in the Indo when I posted that link, but because I'm on mobile and it was the first news article returned in my search it was easiest to post that one. They're basically looking for compo for the loss of their banking hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Oh dear!

So a "cyclist".... a guy with 7 previous convictions was using a bicycle on the path while talking on a mobile...

And now "cyclists" should have insurance..!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cyclists-should-have-insurance-says-judge-1.2246540

Yeah, I posted in the other thread. Judges ey, there was another yesterday saying he would be doing womanhood a favour if he banned heals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Oh dear!

So a "cyclist".... a guy with 7 previous convictions was using a bicycle on the path while talking on a mobile...

And now "cyclists" should have insurance..!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cyclists-should-have-insurance-says-judge-1.2246540

Not just on the phone, but also not looking left or right!

Crime of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Judges are always fun; so few of them seem to live in the real world.

One of my fondest memories is a news story from the 1980s or so about an old lady who had fallen down the stairs of a bus and been seriously injured. The judge dismissed her injury suit on the basis that the correct thing for her to do would have been to wait until the bus had stopped at the bus stop, and then leave her seat and walk to the exit. He must never have taken a bus in his life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Seth MacFarlane (whom I would not normally quote) said on Twitter the other day:
    You never hear the expression "pet peeve" anymore because people believe their pet peeves are serious matters that require legislation.

Goes double for judges and politicians, I imagine.

el tel wrote: »
    Not just on the phone, but also not looking left or right! Crime of the century.

That's not even my problem with this judge, it's the fact that you'll have the numpties demanding that all bicyclists have Insurance...

I mean, to say that the plonker who was up before the Judge, with his several previous convictions is a cyclist.. Well, it's like saying I'm a pilot cos I took a flight to London once!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Saw a chap cycling in the hard shoulder going down the wrong way down the M50 last night. He didn't seem in the least bit bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

it's like saying I'm a pilot cos I took a flight to London once!

Did you fly the plane? If not, it's not really the same thing.

edit: also, talking on a mobile while on a bike was not illegal last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Saw a chap cycling in the hard shoulder going down the wrong way down the M50 last night. He didn't seem in the least bit bothered.

I would like say I am surprised but at a guess I would say I see someone walking/cycling or just generally loitering in the ground around the junctions about 7 to 8 times a year. I am up and down the M50 at least twice a day.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Did you fly the plane? If not, it's not really the same thing.

edit: also, talking on a mobile while on a bike was not illegal last time I checked.

Not to be pedantic or anything eh? :D

(Cyclists are a very large and diverse group was my basic point)

Aren't the CPSU in the process of trying to get back "Banking time" (removed around 15 years ago) for their members, as well as an extra 4 and a half days annual leave ? No better bunch of chancers to get on the case.
    Nah, there was a guy from the CPSU on Newstalk breakfast talking about it earlier this week. Plus I read it in other publications, that was the first I saw of it in the Indo when I posted that link, but because I'm on mobile and it was the first news article returned in my search it was easiest to post that one. They're basically looking for compo for the loss of their banking hours.

You can get the interview about 2/3rds into this clip, if you're interested. It is a historical claim, dating back 3-5 years - they are trying to get the compo covered by the Croke Park agreement for the loss of bank time, not trying to get bank time back.

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/5/19174/08th_June_2015_-_Breakfast_Part_4/

It really does sound like a bit of a storm in a teacup to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So, an ongoing pain in the arse turns out to be a inguinal hernia, due to be operated on in about 4 weeks, with a further 4 weeks sans intense exercise. Mid-July coastal cycling tour scotched, along with anything other than light cycling for the next couple of months. Who knew a pain in the arse could actually be such a royal pain in the arse. It'd be funny if it wasn't. Roll on August.

Forums get created when they get requested by a large number of people - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Nothing to do with moderators or commercial reasons.

Cheers for the reply.

But... :)

Wasn't there a thread here last year, maybe the year before? asking for suggestions about the cycling forum? I've tried to search for it but no luck.

I "think" I saw it being suggested in said thread and there was a response about why there wouldn't be a sub forum. That's where I was coming from with the above post.

I'll keep trying to find it while working on my power point presentation on "Why the cycling forum needs a Cycling events sub forum and it's long term benefits to boards.ie and the cycling community."

I'll be shortening the title, obviously. It's a work in progress.

Cheers for the reply.

But... :)

Wasn't there a thread here last year, maybe the year before? asking for suggestions about the cycling forum? I've tried to search for it but no luck.

I "think" I saw it being suggested in said thread and there was a response about why there wouldn't be a sub forum. That's where I was coming from with the above post.

I'll keep trying to find it while working on my power point presentation on "Why the cycling forum needs a Cycling events sub forum and it's long term benefits to boards.ie and the cycling community."

I'll be shortening the title, obviously. It's a work in progress.

Yeah, we do a feedback thread roughly-kinda every year, but that's not where new forums are suggested, they always go through that forum :)

Yeah, we do a feedback thread roughly-kinda every year, but that's not where new forums are suggested, they always go through that forum :)

Any chance of a hint what the title might have been? :D

• Advertisement

Any chance of a hint what the title might have been? :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92278452

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This was where we had extensive discussion on possible subforums:

A discussion on the direction and possible subforums of the Cycling forum

smacl wrote: »
    So, an ongoing pain in the arse turns out to be a inguinal hernia
    ouch. any idea what might have caused it

Beer, music, what's not to like?

Life, it's wubbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

TFI friday f********g brilliant

oh my god im 50 next week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ouch. any idea what might have caused it

Its basically small gap in the muscle wall of the abdomen which other vessels get trapped in, more often a genetic trait than not apparently. Very common, but only treated in men if it becomes uncomfortable. According to wikipedia, risk factors for the development of a hernia include: smoking, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, obesity, pregnancy, peritoneal dialysis, collagen vascular disease, and previous open appendectomy, among others. I asked the consultant whether cycling was an issue, and his comment was he didn't think it was likely, and I could continue with low intensity & duration cycling up until the operation. Unfortunately, my most common spin is out the door, take a left onto Cruagh road, Sally gap and then consider my options, which doesn't really fit the bill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Love this pic, an icon on a bike :cool:

CHaasiLUwAAdPml.jpg

For lots of stars of cinema, etc., on bikes:
    http://ridesabike.tumblr.com/

Fred MacMurray, posing for the RSA.
    351987.jpg

(The black and white conceals the fluorescent paint job.)

Check out this Genius, bringing a Dublin bike out onto the rocks, looks like Howth I would say... you'd wonder what was going through his thick skull! :rolleyes:

2us95oo.jpg

Chamois cream is quite certainly the most unpleasant thing I've ever bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chamois cream is quite certainly the most unpleasant thing I've ever bought.
    You didn't put it in your sangiches, did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

352034.png

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Check out this Genius, bringing a Dublin bike out onto the rocks, looks like Howth I would say... you'd wonder what was going through his thick skull! :rolleyes:

2us95oo.jpg

Unless it's Danny MacAskil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Briefly had ireland am catch up on there, till the woman on who I have seen in several other tv shows at times sprouted the old line on cyclists "they should register and pay towards the upkeep of the roads" no better was the guy on with her who actually did cyclists and who quoted as "I want knock them down when driving and I don't want stop for lights when I cycle" great quotes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement