Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    A tip of the hat to the property company who immediately apologised and offered to reimburse me for a new lock.

You leave your bike outside of the apartment?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I don't know what to say about this.

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/81705/353737.jpg[/IMG]
    [/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Out for a run this evening and was running along the tarmac cycle lane rather than the concrete footpath, in the wrong direction. Came to a bend and a cyclist came around towards me, on the footpath part.

Given all the recent threads and posts recently I feel rather cheated we exchanged pleasantries rather than wrestle each other into our appropriate sides of the carriageway after a bout of fisty cuffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Out for a run this evening and was running along the tarmac cycle lane rather than the concrete footpath, in the wrong direction. Came to a bend and a cyclist came around towards me, on the footpath part.

Given all the recent threads and posts recently I feel rather cheated we exchanged pleasantries rather than wrestle each other into our appropriate sides of the carriageway after a bout of fisty cuffs.

You must have tired yourself out on your swim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

My dad pops his head into the living room earlier..

"What's a magicians preferred bicycle tube?"

"Hey Presta!"

You must have tired yourself out on your swim

Lol. I never reached that level, that's why I did the races were they give you a boat instead of flapping around like an epileptic sea lion. Plus nobody can pull off tri shorts that's not female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can call over and punch you now if you want?

It wasn't me, BTW.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not live though, is it? The discerning Fred straps a smartphone to the stem. That's live.

It's a shame Sony doesn't do a waterproof compact smartphone the size of the Xperia mini. I'd much rather use that than a Garmin, if I wanted to strap a computer to my cock pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not live though, is it? The discerning Fred straps a smartphone to the stem. That's live.

It's a shame Sony doesn't do a waterproof compact smartphone the size of the Xperia mini. I'd much rather use that than a Garmin, if I wanted to strap a computer to my cock

Is it because the garmin doesn't vibrate :)

They used to do the xperia active which was a nice size that would have been good stem mounted.

a-review-of-the-sportypal-sony-ericsson-xperia-active-bike-mount-27-thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

It's a shame Sony doesn't do a waterproof compact smartphone the size of the Xperia mini. I'd much rather use that than a Garmin, if I wanted to strap a computer to my cock pit.

The Xperia M1 aqua, although might be a little too big for what you want ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good to see a bit of justice happening in our courts, should have got 2 years! +

man-who-pushed-boy-off-bicycle-sentenced-to-10-months-in-jail
    10 months will be commuted to 5 or even 3 months but the 5 year driving ban is a nice kick in the balls for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

bike2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Does he even pay road tax Joe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The petrol powered chain looks very high up, wouldn't it be rubbing your leg there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have a code for two free tickets to the laughter lounge in Dublin tomorrow night if anyone wants them - first come first served. No idea who is playing, but they can be a good night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

must be great stuff in there to rehash it so soon, just 11 weeks later?

353899.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're just retweeting a link to an article relevant to the warm weather, where's the crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I recently resurrected my old BMX. It had been sitting a shed for quite a while. I got a "new" seat for it, changed the the wheels and tyres. The next challenge is to make the brakes work properly.

11373651_877684705631041_1951091786_n.jpg

11355222_1456448564649405_853457091_n.jpg

^^ the wheels you see in the bottom pic here, are the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lennymc wrote: »
    I have a code for two free tickets to the laughter lounge in Dublin tomorrow night if anyone wants them - first come first served. No idea who is playing, but they can be a good night out

gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

How difficult is to fit a 5800/6800 crank? Tried quickly this evening but there wasn't enough thread on the non drive side to fit the crank arm. I heard the fit is quite close so I hit the crank once or twice with the palm of my hand but nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A designer at LEGO knows what's up.
    Serve delicious muffins and espresso coffee to your customers at the cozy café. Then visit the neighboring bike shop, buy the cool red bike that's for sale, mount it on your car rack and head for the hills!
    77JiVA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

they're just retweeting a link to an article relevant to the warm weather, where's the crime?

no - re-published the piece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A designer at LEGO knows what's up.

77JiVA.jpg

I nearly bought it. Then I saw the price.

No wonder my parents had a look of shock every time I wanted all the Lego for Christmas.

Was it that expensive back then though (early through to late 80s) ? If so, there's thousands of euros worth sitting in my dads attic, a lot still made up from when we were kids.

I enjoy browsing the Lego aisles in Smyths, mainly to see what the most expensive item is, it's usually a Star Wars set, but some of them are just brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Never really was a fan of lego 'sets', as once you made them they were kind of done. I absolutely loved the several boxes of regular lego though. Incalculable multi coloured bizarre structures were made. Any 'set' got taken apart and co opted to this end. There was never enough of it though. Loved lego!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'm going to paint my BMX frame.

What colour scheme should I go for?
    - Black on black
    - Light blue and white
    - Light blue and black

Any other suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Was it that expensive back then though (early through to late 80s) ? If so, there's thousands of euros worth sitting in my dads attic, a lot still made up from when we were kids.

I enjoy browsing the Lego aisles in Smyths, mainly to see what the most expensive item is, it's usually a Star Wars set, but some of them are just brilliant.

Ya was costly back then too, I usually had to wait until the successor older brother came home from Germany to get something decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember a Mars one costing 60 pound when I was young, it was huge but very expensive.
    gadetra wrote: »
    Never really was a fan of lego 'sets', as once you made them they were kind of done. I absolutely loved the several boxes of regular lego though. Incalculable multi coloured bizarre structures were made. Any 'set' got taken apart and co opted to this end. There was never enough of it though. Loved lego!
    I liked the sets,(only the large ones, the small ones were expensive and simple) once they were built though the plan became to see how much cooler a thing you could build. Oddly enough the Mars set above, I managed to build what I would see 15 years later, the drone ships from Star Wars, must remember to write to GL and ask for my design fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yeah, it was always dead expensive. I remember saving up pocket money for castles (As opposed to wheelsets).

i got this when i was 8:
    8860rendersmall.jpg

a family friend, who looked after the labs in a boys school up north, persuaded the school to buy half a dozen of them when he saw how they worked; reckoned they'd be great aids for the engineering class.
    he had to put two together with superglue as permanent models. what a job.

OldBean wrote: »
    Yeah, it was always dead expensive. I remember saving up pocket money for castles (As opposed to wheelsets).

This one is still at home, I remember at the time thinking it was the biz because of the working drawbridge.
    6073_Knight's_Castle.jpg

They battled with these guys with tried to pilfer their treasure and wimmin

camooutpost.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

This one is still at home, I remember at the time thinking it was the biz because of the working drawbridge.
    6073_Knight's_Castle.jpg

omg, I had that set too! I want to go home to the parents' attic and dig it all out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The missus bought the Lego Frozen Ice Palace for our girls, who were too small for it really (two and four). Which meant that I had to rebuild it everyday practically from scratch for about two weeks. Like Sisyphus in Lego Hades.

Someone, well santy, got my daughter the Rapunzel tree, pretty much the same story as yourself. The fun doesn't last when you have a 4 year old grabbing and losing all the little pieces while you're trying to build it.

I have noticed though that these days they include a lot of extra pieces compared to when I was a kid which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

its not every day you run into the world champion of anything

CI_tVudUEAA6U3V.jpg

I don't know who is who there, but the guy on the left has the same top as me. I hope he's the world champion, of shirt wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

buffalo wrote: »
    omg, I had that set too! I want to go home to the parents' attic and dig it all out now.

Jaysus...I got this for Xmas in 1984. Xmas 1985 was a LEGO airport set and Xmax 1986 was a LEGO train set. Bits of it still appear out of nowhere around the parents house.

• Advertisement

If I didn't know better I'd say we lived in the same house, we got all those at one Christmas or another.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lego is king in our house. I loved it as a kid so it's not all bad.

Though my young fella probably has a lego collection worth more than my bike. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »

That was the whole point though no? You followed their instructions to complete to the original plan. Then disassembled it and built to your own imagination with the skills acquired. One learned to follow instructions carefully paying attention to what exactly was required building patience and perseverance. I mean each step was/is basically a spot the difference puzzle.

That's what the whole premise of the Lego Movie was, not being constricted to the original plan.

I still buy sets. I keep them aside for sick days in bed and build them then.

meccano used to deliberately insert mistakes into the instructions for their sets; that way, kids would have to figure out how to 'fix' the model.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think I largely pre-dated lego - had something called "penny bricks" which was a cheaper version, and all red. Was definitely into the meccano. However Airfix became my real "construction" hobby as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

https://www.strava.com/challenges/giro-climbing-challenge

It's like Strava knows I want to climb these days :eek: (all though really poorly)
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fcuking hell! :eek: (On a motor racing circuit)

911k in 23h 57m averaging 38km/h and with an elapsed time equal to moving time - literally non-stop!

Words fail me!

https://app.strava.com/activities/338340280

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Think I largely pre-dated lego

And the pyramids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That was the whole point though no? You followed their instructions to complete to the original plan. Then disassembled it and built to your own imagination with the skills acquired. One learned to follow instructions carefully paying attention to what exactly was required building patience and perseverance. I mean each step was/is basically a spot the difference puzzle.

That's what the whole premise of the Lego Movie was, not being constricted to the original plan.

I still buy sets. I keep them aside for sick days in bed and build them then.

That's probably what it was designed for, but I hated building things to a plan. I never liked the plans. I didn't like that there was 'a way'. I built my own patience and perseverance :D

I think I might get one again, I like the idea of building one now though!

Do have a fondness for puzzles though. Love a good puzzle book!

• Advertisement

the problem with a lot of more recent lego is that there are too many specific parts, especially with the likes of the star wars stuff (this is based on seeing nieces & nephews and friends' kids playing with them).
    there's not much you can do with a tie fighter wing except use it as a tie fighter wing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement