Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Weepsie wrote: »
    Does anyone, or how many people with a few bikes have a mix of Shimano/Sram and Campags? Pros and Cons of having both or not. (Interchangeable parts being one obviously, tools etc)

I ask because I've contemplating another bike, one in consideration has Campag. Probably don't need a new thread.

Depends what you are mixing. Brakes and cranks don't really matter too much. Least cranks used to be fine, not sure with the latest 11 speed stuff but it might be OK. I cannot see any reason to mix shifters and mechs though.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Raam wrote: »
    Depends what you are mixing. Brakes and cranks don't really matter too much. Least cranks used to be fine, not sure with the latest 11 speed stuff but it might be OK. I cannot see any reason to mix shifters and mechs though.

I've phrased my original post very badly I think. IS there any reason to not add a bike with a Campag group if all my others are Shimano really, one is 105, one Ultegra and both 10 speed. Can swap wheels around and stuff like that easily. It's not even something I need or anything, but it's a bike I like, which is porbably most important really as I tend to not be practical with such things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've phrased my original post very badly I think. IS there any reason to not add a bike with a Campag group if all my others are Shimano really, one is 105, one Ultegra and both 10 speed. Can swap wheels around and stuff like that easily. It's not even something I need or anything, but it's a bike I like, which is porbably most important really as I tend to not be practical with such things

I see what you mean. I have two campag bikes and 4 shimano bikes. I have a few wheelsets which can be swapped but I need to change the hubs because the campag bikes are 11 speed but the shimano are 10. So really, it depends on what exactly you have on your bikes. At the moment I just have a separate wheelset for each bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Raam wrote: »
    At the moment I just have a separate wheelset for each bike.

I posed a similar query when considering one of my purchases. I stuck with what I have before (in my case sram) as I have a full toolkit to completely build a bike and do all my own work so as much as I like campag, the extra added expense wasn't worth it to me.

As time has moved on, I have built up enough of a stockpile of bits and pieces so could easily have done it, so in reality you will get by fine if you don't mind an initial extra outlay, or spread over a period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Runtastic Road Bike PRO for iOS, usually €4.99, is free at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Stafford GP that Eurosport are showing looks like fun from a spectator point of view, plenty out watching with cups/glasses of beer in their hands from probably the local hostelries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Any recommendations for places to take an adult beginner cyclist besides the Phoenix park that don't involve negotiating too much traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any recommendations for places to take an adult beginner cyclist besides the Phoenix park that don't involve negotiating too much traffic?

If you mean someone learning to cycle then UCD has lots of off road cyclable places and it's quiet during the summer or weekends. Corkagh Park in clondalkin is another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You can park up at the start of the track in Clontarf, ride to the bridge and back pretty handily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Corkagh park or quite a few industrial Estates? Parkwest etc?

OldBean wrote: »
    You can park up at the start of the track in Clontarf, ride to the bridge and back pretty handily.

No car. One day though

Where will you guys be leaving from?

Harolds X

Canal route down to Grand Canal Dock, plenty of room to pedal about there - Grab a coffee in 3FE and head back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

At times when there aren't kids there, what about Harold's Cross Park, the triangular park? There's a circle that kids use to practise cycling, skating and skateboarding. If you get there at opening time, it should be clear enough, and there's a coffee shop to recover in. (This is for the very first cycling, to stop wobbling.) After that, what about the lanes going down from Harold's Cross to Grosvenor Park?

Bit on the small side. She did 14k in the saddle last Sunday.

More looking for places to spread the old wings.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood 'beginner'! What about the canal, outwards from the city? Trouble with Harold's Cross is that it is trafficky. Something that was complained about at a huge community meeting last week - people were saying there could be a greenway from Kimmage Road West, from Clogher Road, etc, pushing for separated lanes (and for Dublin Bikes - Harold's Cross is invisible to the Dublin Bikes planners).

Harolds X

Cross the Canal and join the Canal cycleway at Windsor Terrace Portabello.

Theres one or sections of road but go on a quiet time, Saturday or Sunday mornings, it's empty.

• Advertisement

Or maybe follow the canal all the way towards the coast, then cut along to the South Wall? Unfortunately the South Wall isn't very cyclable at the moment, but you could at least go out as far as its start.

Or another nice and not *terribly* trafficky road is if you go out by Dundrum and Taney, take the Monkstown Ring Road and then go along to Sandycove? Tide's in around now, twill be nice in an hour still…

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Dun+Laoghaire-Rathdown+County+Council,+Marine+Road,+Dun+Laoghaire,+Dublin/Harold's+Cross,+Dublin/@53.3202224,-6.2446357,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x486706215aaeed83:0x3209e737f0a81f28!2m2!1d-6.1342556!2d53.2942595!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670c1b06ffe567:0xb41885739c306cd!2m2!1d-6.2815804!2d53.3245809 (very rough route - you can use the cycle paths at the back of Blackrock Park, etc to be quieter).

On the way back it's nicer to go along the old coast road - not very coast-y - and cut back inland at Herbert Park. Less uphill pulls.

If traffic is a worry, how about getting up for sunrise and heading out along the canal, and out the coast. I usually do it once a week with some friends who wouldn't consider themselves cyclists, we end up at the 40ft, some of them take a swim, then we ride back in. Would be about 20km from Harolds X, and you'll probably see about 4 cars on the way out.

PaterScone keeps saying "I'll never do X. I'm too old and not very fit" immediately before doing it.

He was 500m short of a century this morning with a 28kph average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

PaterScone keeps saying "I'll never do X. I'm too old and not very fit" immediately before doing it.

He was 500m short of a century this morning with a 28kph average.

You should have sent him back out to finish it off.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You should have sent him back out to finish it off.

Since I've never done anything with a 28kph average I didn't feel qualified.

Here I am wide awake and ready for a cycle...except I've got to rest my reconstructed knee.

Somewhere, somehow, Nelson Munce is laughing at me.

• Advertisement

Here I am wide awake and ready for a cycle...except I've got to rest my reconstructed knee.

How long since the reconstruction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

You need these...........

CriticalAssignmentLegs-Front.jpg

6 years

Yikes! That's a long recovery time!

You need these...........

CriticalAssignmentLegs-Front.jpg

Already have ample wiring thx.

I even set off sufficiently sensitive metal detectors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Similar story here, hernia op on Thursday so minimal cycling for the next few weeks. Planned cycling holiday starting on Saturday has morphed into a fishing and reading holiday, with late August before I can start pushing decent distances again. Haven't even got a 200k in this year yet, so hoping I might get into shape for the dying cow.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Write some stories, better yet songs about how you feel and your knee. Call it, Fables of the Reconstructions or something

Could you even chance a turbo trainer?

OldBean wrote: »
    Could you even chance a turbo trainer?

I still cycle to work (only 3k each way) just waiting a few days to make sure nothing disintegrates or pops out (had a bit of wire go for a cronenbergian wander around inside my leg in year one.

The knee has stood up to much sterner tests than cycling so more frustrated about the lost miles than worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

6 years
    Yikes! That's a long recovery time!

The "doctor" gave him an arm for a leg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Bike Shop in Wexford Town is hiring,a good sign.It was packed the other day when I was down there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

zerks wrote: »
    The Bike Shop in Wexford Town is hiring,a good sign.It was packed the other day when I was down there.

It's quite a packed shop, reminds me of the bike shops of old with not enough space to show everything off. Really nice staff in there anytime I have went in and nearly always a few people sniffing around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

zerks wrote: »

I've found Hayes in Wexford a handy enough bike shop too, in that they'd open on a Sunday to return a rental bike after a weekend hire. Nice people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

smacl wrote: »
    I've found Hayes in Wexford a handy enough bike shop too, in that they'd open on a Sunday to return a rental bike after a weekend hire. Nice people.

Excellent shop run by a lovely couple. I don't make my big purchases anywhere else.

We are a bit spoiled in Wexford really

Excellent shop run by a lovely couple. I don't make my big purchases anywhere else.

We are a bit spoiled in Wexford really

I like the signs put up everywhere about safe overtaking distance etc. they really have made a drive to promote cycling tourism and for local cyclists.

• Advertisement

Something awful has happened.

I picked up a lovely second hand Genesis CdF last week, which was about 2cm too small, with the intentions of adding on some spare parts I'd collected to make it more suitable for my size and...

a) Riding the length of the canal on it with some friends next month

b) Toying with the idea of some not so very competitive CX this winter

c) On the off chance my OH fancies taking a ride on the bike again (Which she hasn't wanted to do in a few years, leading to the selling of her two previous bikes/projects), I could drop the saddle, and it'd be a comfortable size and feel nice and secure with good tubing/disc brakes/chunky tyres.

Disaster. I was ordered to remove the SPD pedals I'd just bought and replace with flats, lower the seatpost to a more suitable height on a near permanent basis, and take off my saddle and silly saddlebag and put them on a different seatpost for when I want to use it. Along with replace the orange bar tape (Which I'd intended to!).

Part of me is happy, part of me is shouting MUTINY!!!

CramCycle wrote: »
    I like the signs put up everywhere about safe overtaking distance etc. they really have made a drive to promote cycling tourism and for local cyclists.

Yeah, that's the work of another real local legend. I have no idea where the guy behind the Stayin' alive at 1.5 campaign gets his energy, but he's something else.

not doping speculation, honest :o

Yeah, that's the work of another real local legend. I have no idea where the guy behind the Stayin' alive at 1.5 campaign gets his energy, but he's something else.

not doping speculation, honest :o

Is he on the council or just a man with a plan?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is he on the council or just a man with a plan?

Just a very dedicated man. All off his own back.

Just a very dedicated man. All off his own back.

Is he behind the Spin11 "1.5 to stay alive" jerseys too?

Saw one in the flesh last night and it's actually a pretty nice looking Jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Australia Watch(*):
    Sydney cyclists must carry identification under new proposals
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sydney-cyclists-must-carry-identification-under-new-proposals-182409

(*) I am genuinely fascinated by this cycling dystopia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Talk about total disrespect for the bike lane.

bazermc wrote: »
    Talk about total disrespect for the bike lane.

Yea horses have no respect for cyclists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yea horses have no respect for cyclists!

you are talking sh1t.

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    you are talking sh1t.

What's shonet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement