Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i can't see how; they do seem to define lanes. maybe they got it back to front, as buffalo mentioned.

Looks more like an aesthetic consideration to keep the spacing even. I never noticed it before but my best guess is that the white tiles should act as centre lane, I can't believe (although would not be surprised) a car or bus would pull over thinking the lane has moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Think he was going down the Embankment. Not sure you've got that one yet.

Horrible accident. Fair play to him getting back out on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

daragh_ wrote: »
    Think he was going down the Embankment. Not sure you've got that one yet.

Horrible accident. Fair play to him getting back out on the bike.

My mistake! 2 of the three around there :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Zyzz wrote: »
    My mistake! 2 of the three around there :o

You can have a go tomorrow so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20150722_212859.jpg

0mjxy3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

What happened? Looks like a stone chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looks more like an aesthetic consideration to keep the spacing even. I never noticed it before but my best guess is that the white tiles should act as centre lane, I can't believe (although would not be surprised) a car or bus would pull over thinking the lane has moved.

Got on to the Corpo about it at the time as I was trying to get them to have the cycle lanes beside the centre island rather than at the pavement edges along the full length of O'Connell Street. Though I had succeeded but they told me it just a design feature with no traffic control intent. Looks well from the top of the Spire or on the design drawings I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Had alarms set for 4am for a couple of early speedy laps of the park, until my OH suggested opening a bottle or two of my 'nice' beers before her grandparents land into the country in the morning and make our life tough going for the next month...

https://www.brewdog.com/beer/amplified/tokyo

Two of these later, and all alarms are off. Least I'm not to be blamed when I've to disappear on the bike to 'make up lost time'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A bottle or two of this particular liquid is equivalent to a lap or two of Evil 200. :pac:

(I'm fond of good beer and drank possibly all styles and species... but Tokyo is something beyond beer to me. Not necessarily in a positive way.)

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    A bottle or two of this particular liquid is equivalent to a lap or two of Evil 200. :pac:

(I'm fond of good beer and drank possibly all styles and species... but Tokyo is something beyond beer to me. Not necessarily in a positive way.)

16.5%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

OldBean wrote: »
    Two of these later, and all alarms are off. Least I'm not to be blamed when I've to disappear on the bike to 'make up lost time'...

If you liked that, (i had that one a couple of years ago), find some Baltic imperial stouts from the Nordic / baltic craft brewers. I had some particularly good ones from Mikkeller and Toøl.

Toøl have done lovely new beers out this summer, but for heavy stouts I can't go past Founders Imperial Porter...

But beers like that are made for sharing and sipping over cheese and meats. Then sleeping hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I recently moved companies, I thought they would have everything needed for me to cycle here (the commute is almost 30k) since they offer the bike to work scheme, but there are no showers and there isn't a place to lock the bike either. Disappointing to say the least.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

When you get into work in the morning, fill a bucket of water, go outside into the carpark and strip off naked and wash yourself there. When they ask you wtf you're doing, shrug and say "well, there's no shower". They'll put one in quick enough after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I recently moved companies, I thought they would have everything needed for me to cycle here (the commute is almost 30k) since they offer the bike to work scheme, but there are no showers and there isn't a place to lock the bike either. Disappointing to say the least.

That sucks. Is there anyone else cycling in? Maybe there is a shared facility they can use?

R1_Pete wrote: »
    That sucks. Is there anyone else cycling in? Maybe there is a shared facility they can use?

I haven't seen anyone else cycling yet. I am meeting the HR director today so I ll have a chat with him to see if there is anything they can do, especially since they are advertising the bike to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

When you get into work in the morning, fill a bucket of water, go outside into the carpark and strip off naked and wash yourself there. When they ask you wtf you're doing, shrug and say "well, there's no shower". They'll put one in quick enough after that.

Or they'll set up a webcam and make some money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

16.5%!
    is that fortified? i'd thought most yeasts would be killed off before it hit that level.

• Advertisement

HAHAHA, I hope you have open places for IT guys where you work after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They have showers in prison. The broadband is crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

is that fortified? i'd thought most yeasts would be killed off before it hit that level.

Some strains can survive 24-25%.

Its not fortified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Or sit in morning meetings with a folded towel and soap ostentatiously on the table before you, looking distractedly out the window for rainclouds on the horizon.

OldBean wrote: »
    Founders Imperial Porter

I like that one.

Have you tried as a matter of interest, one of the super beers like tactical nuclear penguin and the like?

I like my whisk(e)y but haven't found the urge to spend on this type of beverage yet.

Alek wrote: »
    Some strains can survive 24-25%.

Its not fortified.
    http://celebratethesuds.blogspot.ie/2011/11/how-strong-can-beer-get-really-freakin.html

I would have assumed distillation was necessary, but yeah, apparently not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my current favourite porter is kinnegar yannaroddy. though some people seem to think the inclusion of coconut in the ingredients is heresy.

I like Imperial stouts but would not drink them regularly.

If stouts where you want to go (but not as strong as imperial), from Ireland, Wicklow Wolfs Stout is delicious (about 5%) or, not technically a stout but, the Black IPA from Blacks of Kinsale tastes very stout like and is also a regular of mine.

Blacks is a great brewery. I like the Wicklow wolf too, but at the moment I'm going through the Breton beer and cider I brought back from holiday last year.

Idleater wrote: »
    I like that one.

Have you tried as a matter of interest, one of the super beers like tactical nuclear penguin and the like?

I like my whisk(e)y but haven't found the urge to spend on this type of beverage yet.

Tried TNP and Sink The Bismark - they're more along the lines of a heavy port with a malty whiskey finish. Some pubs do measures of them, which is good because I don't think they're worth the cost of a bottle compared to say, a nice Rye.

Founders is probably my fave all round brewery (their All Day IPA...), but the Kinnegar guys are one of the best in Ireland without a doubt, from branding to beer. The Galway Bay/Teeling collaboration was stunning though.

i bought a couple of bottles of the franciscan well stout aged in jameson casks. nice, but not nearly worth the €16 entry fee for a litre bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

i bought a couple of bottles of the franciscan well stout aged in jameson casks. nice, but not nearly worth the €16 entry fee for a litre bottle.

Where did you see them?

Definitely not. I'd say 8-10 quid would be acceptable.

I think there's one or possibly two left in Drinkstore in Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where did you see them?
    got them in a place called the grapevine, beside the ballymun road/griffith avenue junction. it's a very small off licence but they've great stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It's always worth asking the question before you sign on the dotted line.

Is there any nearby gym where you could shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's always worth asking the question before you sign on the dotted line.

Is there any nearby gym where you could shower?
    Go for the desperate 17year old whiff of Lynx. Shower in a can. Or baby wipes by the bucket full

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Luxman wrote: »
    Go for the desperate 17year old whiff of Lynx. Shower in a can. Or baby wipes by the bucket full

A ready market for all my old Xmas gift sets of Old Spice, Brut33 etc. Off to open an eBay seller account. :)

Nearly forgot my HaiKarate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

"as white, middle class, hetro male, it's not often I get to feel like a hard done by minority"

https://www.facebook.com/SafeCyclingAustralia/videos/866367293410675/

• Advertisement

Antoine Vayer was on Newstalk speaking of something similar last night. The only thing that surprises me is the unchanging assumption of 6W/kg, no one ever questions it.

Looking at the weights of some of the riders and their bikes (presumably at the UCI minimum), I certainly don't think its impossible to beat that. In the olden days many riders were bigger and heavier and it would have been quite difficult, but for some, I just don't believe its the limit. Probably not a bad line to look at, but if an athlete could get the balance of muscle, weight, equipment right, it is certainly beatable by a clean athlete.

Beatable for what duration? I think that's the most important part, because it's fine to get there for a bit, but to sustain it?

Beatable for what duration? I think that's the most important part, because it's fine to get there for a bit, but to sustain it?

Like I said it depends on typical power output, weight etc.

The heavier you are the less likely it is you can hold it for as long as others because your actual wattage would be astronomical but maybe you can get more Watts with more muscle, but potentially less sustainable. Lower weight it means less watts needed but then at certain point you have a drop off in possible watts with loss of muscle weight as well.

It's a fine line, balance of muscle fibres, weight, optimisation, utilisation.

I certainly don't know the absolute max but I know the accepted threshold is taken from a time when alot of optimisation was lacking, when riders were heavier and just in general, from a time when you simply cannot compare it directly to today.

I couldn't even hazard a guess, Juniors would be the guys to test IMO, super fit, never tiring. Give them a target wattage to hit and hold. We can incentivise them by having middle age men stand behind them and shout obscenities about points and kids, and then cry, maybe making it quieter over time to give the impression they are getting further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Idleater wrote: »
    If you liked that, (i had that one a couple of years ago), find some Baltic imperial stouts from the Nordic / baltic craft brewers. I had some particularly good ones from Mikkeller and Toøl.

Mikkeller Green Gold is one of my favourite craft beers. I used to get it at O'Briens, but they stopped stocking it and I can't find it anywhere else. Has anyone seen it on a shelf in the South Dublin or city centre areas recently?

MediaMan wrote: »
    Mikkeller Green Gold is one of my favourite craft beers.

I haven't seen it in a while in an off license, but did see it at an extortionate price in some pub or other.

Bit of a thing from my pre-work spin this morning.

Twice I came across cats in full Savannah predator mode stealthily closing on apparently oblivious birds in the middle of the road.

Each time the bird took off when I approached and the cat scarpered.

The third cat I came across had been squished by a car.

Was it bird Asymmetric warfare? Was I too late to save the last feline from this fiendish ambush?

I don't know, but if these Swallows (Ornithologist level 0) start giving planning and guidance to the Seagulls, we could all be up **** creek on a tandem with George Hook on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Bit of a thing from my pre-work spin this morning.

Twice I came across cats in full Savannah predator mode stealthily closing on apparently oblivious birds in the middle of the road.

Each time the bird took off when I approached and the cat scarpered.

The third cat I came across had been squished by a car.

Was it bird Asymmetric warfare? Was I too late to save the last feline from this fiendish ambush?

I don't know, but if these Swallows (Ornithologist level 0) start giving planning and guidance to the Seagulls, we could all be up **** creek on a tandem with George Hook on the back.

People who don't keep their cats in at night because it's "natural" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Its funny, before the internet, nobody gave a sh**e about cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Its funny, before the internet, nobody gave a sh**e about cats.
    Maybe you didn't...

• Advertisement

The Ancient Egyptians were fond of cats, but didn't even have 56kpbs dial-up. They had to fax "Hang In There" pictures to each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement