Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pulling over dodgy vehicles. They spend a lot of time around the ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

buffalo wrote: »
    http://dublininquirer.com/2015/07/28/scouting-out-the-potential-of-a-northside-cycle-route/

Scoping out the future potential Santry cycle route. Doesn't make for encouraging reading tbh.

The area at the top of Santry Demense through the underpass is extemely dodgy as it is very isolated and attracts nefarious types as a result. Anything happens you there and you could be alone for quite awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well, not really, Iamxavier. I have come across selfish men and women cycling and driving. I don't usually come rushing to a forum to complain about them. And often I'll assume that they've lost their way and are going slowly because they're uncertain which lane leads to where.
    But when I hear people using terms like "troop", "brigade", etc, I assume I'm in the presence of someone with a prejudice.

Yea, yourself :rolleyes:

There's only one way the two lanes can go, it's not a mystery. They can only go right. There's a lot of room between where the cyclist was and the next junction. Enough space for a car to change lane, more than enough space for a bike to do the same thing. Even if he didn't know where he was going, which I doubt. Do you think it's reasonable to decide this while holding up the rest of the traffic? It doesn't matter the vehicle, it's dangerous and stupid.

You assume too much. There was no "rush to post on a forum" as if that streghtens your argument.

When you mention anything about cyclists you will almost always be met with somebody who will defend the cyclist regardless of what their actions.

If it was a car or a padestrian the response would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Cancel your expensive subscription to the site then.

You make it sound like a charity - anyone who visits some of their clickbait stories funds them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If it was a car or a padestrian the response would be the same.

Well, I'm sorry that you met a selfish person on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You make it sound like a charity - anyone who visits some of their clickbait stories funds them.

Set up your own awesome cycling website will you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Then do us all a favour and stop clicking, or at least stop complaining to us about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Your vendetta bores me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

seamus wrote: »
    Pulling over dodgy vehicles. They spend a lot of time around the ports.

Ah that may explain it. I've seen it twice, once just cruising and yesterday fully lit both times heading east on northwall quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well, I'm sorry that you met a selfish person on the road.

Apology accepted...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Well this is gonna be 'interesting'…:
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/626350827679170560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Cycling down the north quays yesterday and what looked like a Garda car came towards me, lights flashing on the roof. As it went by me I noticed it was revenue! Can anyone shed any light on why in the hell the revenue services need cars that look like garda cars?

I thought you were about to say they pulled you over for contravening the rules of the Bike to Work scheme!
    Section 104; Rule 37b: You may only use the purchased bicycle for the express purpose of transport to or from work. Any deviation or hestitation from the route will result in a fine, confiscation of bicycle and/or a maximum of 6 years in prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yeah that's cool man I guess I'll just walk back to work...

20150729_191635.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I thought you were about to say they pulled you over for contravening the rules of the Bike to Work scheme!
    Section 104; Rule 37b: You may only use the purchased bicycle for the express purpose of transport to or from work. Any deviation or hestitation from the route will result in a fine, confiscation of bicycle and/or a maximum of 6 years in prison

Well there goes more than half of the nation's racing fleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I think you'll enjoy what happened in Brazil, when someone parked their car obstructing the cycle lane:

https://youtu.be/luNGjffDjCs

• Advertisement

Pretty psyched to see three roadies (lovely bikes) having a pre-spin chat at the canal lock on my way to the supermarket between doing things at work and making the dinner...live for me.

(Evening spin cancelled by ever expanding work tasks/This mornings spin was cancelled by my having had to go to work at 00:30 to soothe some panicking idiots).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

got one of my favourite emails today:

Your bike is being shipped

Whoohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »

Whoohoo!!

thought you would be saving up for kids, not more bikes

manafana wrote: »
    thought you would be saving up for kids, not more bikes

that reminds me - i need to buy a new bike for carrying a baby carry seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Mate of mine was just given a €1k~ Mavic wheelset secondhand for a beater fixed gear he's building. Free.

Gah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

lennymc wrote: »
    Whoohoo!!

Don't leave us hanging, what bike?
    Actually can we add a poll?
    I'll say....Canyon!

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Don't leave us hanging, what bike?
    Actually can we add a poll?
    I'll say....Canyon!

I'm not saying, but you did get some of the letters right.

(it's in another thread somewhere. I think it's gray and orange/red but i'm not really sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Don't be such a ca(a)d.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Don't be such a ca(a)d.

out of 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Spotted a beautiful steel framed fixie today with a nearside drive train. I don't ever recall seeing this sort of set-up before. Is it as rare as I think it is or is it something that has passed me by over the years? (PS - the bike was decal free except for the wheels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Spotted a beautiful steel framed fixie today with a nearside drive train. I don't ever recall seeing this sort of set-up before. Is it as rare as I think it is or is it something that has passed me by over the years? (PS - the bike was decal free except for the wheels).

It's pretty rare, I've only seen it once ever I think. Might make sense in a country where you drive on the RHS, having the chainset away from the kerb. Can't really think of any other good reason for it apart from novelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's pretty rare, I've only seen it once ever I think. Might make sense in a country where you drive on the RHS, having the chainset away from the kerb. Can't really think of any other good reason for it apart from novelty.
    Spotted in Italy so RHS alright! Beautiful bike, yellow bar tape, yellow saddle, yellow tyres with dark grey steel frame and Aerospoke wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What the hell was the motorbike rider doing here? :confused:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What the hell was the motorbike rider doing here? :confused:

it was really weird like the bike thought he wasn't in the race

• Advertisement

On Saturday I learned the dangers of jumping between Shimano and Campy.

Making a long windy descent wondering why my drivetrain was spinning out on the good bike before I realised I was crosschaining due to the right inner lever meaning inward movement on Campy!

A second Campy groupset for the Croix just went on the wishlist (or more likely an upgrade to Centaur on the roadbike).

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycling from park towards Carpenterstown earlier I noticed the Ironman is in Dublin this Weekend. It's being allowed into the park, cycling and all, so is there any hope of any sort of park cycling event that could happen. They've no problem it seems closing it for a run every bank holiday, but OPW (I think) are dead set against cycling event as a rule there I've read on these boards before.

It used to host races, and if roads were improved a little it could be great surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

ED E wrote: »
    Is there a term for when your shifter dives down all 9 cogs when down shifting? I'm trying to google for a solution to my problem here but coming up with nada.
    Your gear control cable has snapped or slipped the retaining bolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Bought new Speedplay pedals and cleats, but can barely clip in. Cannot really see anything I've done wrong. I'm fairly light which be an issue or do they just need a good lubing?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Bought new Speedplay pedals and cleats, but can barely clip in. Cannot really see anything I've done wrong. I'm fairly light which be an issue or do they just need a good lubing?

I lube my speedplay zero cleats with a wee bit of teflon grease, but more to prevent wear as i find them easy to get in and out of. There's nothing you can do with them to adjust the entry force.

Are you pushing straight down rather then going toe first?

I suspect you're not the only one to have an issue though seeing as speedplay brought out a 'light action' version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

They take a while to get used to. I spent a while just on the turbo clipping in and out of them the first time I got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    It used to host races, and if roads were improved a little it could be great surely

They're open to cycle races, all you need to do is organise the following:
    Gardai / road closure
    must have a minimum number of runners / cyclists
    insurance
    portaloos depending on numbers
    stewards
    litter crew
    possibly barriers
    medical provision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Would anyone have TT clip on bars that I could borrow for the weekend? First ever time trial on Saturday and everyone is saying to get some bars..but can't justify the purchase! Will look after them as if they're my own! (Mods if this isn't allowed do let me know :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have a nice light set I borrowed from PeterX - ask him and let me know :)

http://aerogeeks.com/2014/02/18/bontrager-race-x-lite-clip-on-review/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Zyzz wrote: »
    Would anyone have TT clip on bars that I could borrow for the weekend? First ever time trial on Saturday and everyone is saying to get some bars..but can't justify the purchase! Will look after them as if they're my own! (Mods if this isn't allowed do let me know :))

I've a mini set designed for (cough cough) draft legal triathlons you're welcome to borrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Zyzz wrote: »

Apart from the bars you'll also need to adjust the saddle forward and up a bit (and you'll still be 'sitting' on just the very tip of it) and most importantly you'll need some practice in the TT position. The bars will be close to useles if you had no practice going hard on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Im in Blackrock but don't mind dropping out to collect them, and see if they fit! :D
    Alek wrote: »
    I have a nice light set I borrowed from PeterX - ask him and let me know :)

http://aerogeeks.com/2014/02/18/bontrager-race-x-lite-clip-on-review/

I had a look at his profile and it seems he hasn't been online in 2/3 weeks :(
    RobFowl wrote: »
    I've a mini set designed for (cough cough) draft legal triathlons you're welcome to borrow

Traithlons? Never heard of them, they sound awful.
    Hmmzis wrote: »
    Apart from the bars you'll also need to adjust the saddle forward and up a bit (and you'll still be 'sitting' on just the very tip of it) and most importantly you'll need some practice in the TT position. The bars will be close to useles if you had no practice going hard on them.

I know, thanks for the tip! (no pun intended) I often spend a good bit of time with my forearms resting on the bars but it should be interesting to have something to hold on to. Ill have the next few days to do some practise and see if its worth sticking them on! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I had a look at his profile and it seems he hasn't been online in 2/3 weeks

Send him a PM, he'll get a notification via email.

There ya go, motoring is on the rise: car-sales-pass-100-000-by-end-of-july
    More cars were sold in the first seven months of the year than in all of 2014, according to new figures from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry.

Over 27,600 cars were sold in July alone, according to SIMI, pushing sales for the year to date to almost 110,000.

That compares to the 96,280 sold in the twelve months of 2014 and marks the first time car sales have passed the 100,000-mark since 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was talking to some neighbours over the weekend and they mentioned a couple of sheds had been broken into lately and bikes stolen.

Went to bed earlier and heard something out the back. Listened a bit more and heard the rattling of fencing. Hopped out of bed and from the landing I saw the sensor lighting was on. Crap. Got to the back window and looked out and saw some movement. It came into the light a bit better and it was a bloody cat

It was playing with one of the kids balls and knocking it off the fencing and whatever else it could find. The fecker even had a go at running up the toddlers slide.

I'm obviously still awake now after being pretty close to sleep an hour ago.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Was talking to some neighbours over the weekend and they mentioned a couple of sheds had been broken into lately and bikes stolen.

Went to bed earlier and heard something out the back. Listened a bit more and heard the rattling of fencing. Hopped out of bed and from the landing I saw the sensor lighting was on. Crap. Got to the back window and looked out and saw some movement. It came into the light a bit better and it was a bloody cat

It was playing with one of the kids balls and knocking it off the fencing and whatever else it could find. The fecker even had a go at running up the toddlers slide.

I'm obviously still awake now after being pretty close to sleep an hour ago.

Yeah sheds such an easy target for any chancer, wouldn't leave more than cheap wheels or bits and bobs in there,

I keep my bikes in my vault :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Death and injury toll among cyclists on the rise

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/death-and-injury-toll-among-cyclists-on-the-rise-1.2307023

article from the IT this morning. relatively sober compared to some of the ones we've seen in recent weeks and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

manafana wrote: »
    I keep my bikes in my vault :D

Mine get put in the attic, but I think that's more indicative of the regularity I expect to use them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"While cyclists make up about 2 per cent of traffic on Irish roads, they account for up to 8 per cent of injuries, latest official figures show."

I suspect that was only the case for 2014. "Up to" is usually a weasel word in statistics. What are they usually is the more interesting question. And what is an "injury"? Most injuries are unreported, so I assume injuries requiring hospitalisation. Cyclists certainly aren't 8 percent of fatalities. (If you assume about 250 road fatallities per year, that would be 20 cyclists, while 12 is by far the worst tally for cyclists in recent years. Even if you assume 200, that would be 16 cyclists. The lowest tally in recent years was five, which I think was less than 3% of the overall total for the year.)

(The bit about being on target to have 12 or so fatalities again this year is pure nonsense. We could easily have no more fatalities between now and the end of the year, or we could have ten more. When you're dealing with such small numbers you can have very wild swings.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Death and injury toll among cyclists on the rise

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/death-and-injury-toll-among-cyclists-on-the-rise-1.2307023

article from the IT this morning. relatively sober compared to some of the ones we've seen in recent weeks and months.
    Half the injuries at junctions, and the RSA focus on speed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement