Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

CramCycle wrote: »
    Very true, I remember watching one of those "999 emergency" style shows and some of the calls in were astonishing, people calling in for an ambulance pick up with a sprained ankle, lost front door keys, not being let into a nightclub.

Words escape me, the operator was saying they were incredibly common in the UK.

I saw one of those before. A chap had called 999 over a stolen credit card...this was UK town, busy at night. Two bobbies on patrol told him to cop on (excuse the pun).

Recent TV3 show Paramedics was very good, must be said.

Concerning the RSA, has anyone set up a group for road users (maybe separate car and cyclist ones, am sure there are cycling groups, dunno about car/vehicle users) might be something to counter the official narratives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Concerning the RSA, has anyone set up a group for road users (maybe separate car and cyclist ones, am sure there are cycling groups, dunno about car/vehicle users) might be something to counter the official narratives.

I think the AA probably qualifies, if only they could get some air time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've been feeling really **** about my average speeds for the last while. I know it's not a big deal, but I seem to consistently be getting between 16 and 23km/h and I didn't want to head out with mates doing 27+.

Gave in this evening and went out. Was beside or leading the whole 40km apart from being dropped on a hill, but more than making up for it on the descent.

Got home, checked my average speed, 19, checked theirs, 28...?

I put no more or less effort than normal, but didn't bother turning on or off my Garmin when stopping. Is that it? There's three counts of 28 against my 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seems like a possibility. I don't have bike specific Garmin but have a Garmin multisport watch and you can switch on auto pause for when you come to a stop so the time you're not moving doesn't come into the equation.

If you're including stopped time in the calculation of average speed per hour I would think it might drag yours down.

Seems reasonable. It's the average moving time I'm looking at, rather than overall average. Must have a look for an autopause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You're not using imperial units by any chance?

Lol, no. But for a second there, I questioned myself.

Going to pop both bikes on the road tomorrow night at same pace and see what comes up. Thinking it might be the sensors.

Does your Garmin measure the speed using sensors on the wheels or GPS?

On the wheels. I'm thinking it might be worth resetting them too.

Maybe it's set up for the wrong wheel size?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to show a slower reading, it'd be assuming wheel diameter of well over 30 inches i reckon.

Just checked my descent against someone I overtook, and it says I was going slower than them. Wheel size is set up correctly, I reckon my sensor is borked.

I feel like such a nerd looking into this, and worse for the fact it's affected me heading out on spins with people, but there's hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OldBean wrote: »
    Just checked my descent against someone I overtook, and it says I was going slower than them. Wheel size is set up correctly, I reckon my sensor is borked.

I feel like such a nerd looking into this, and worse for the fact it's affected me heading out on spins with people, but there's hope!

Have you tried doing the maths yourself based on time over distance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the sensor on the front wheel? if so, and you've been wheelieing for a significant portion of your rides, it might explain the lower figure.

I have previously and it came up short. But I'm figuring that's down to stopping times. It's being alongside someone else at 27/28 for a round trip whilst my average is far lower that's doing my nut. Do other people actually hit pause, or use autopause on their Garmins? Have I set mine up all wrong? Or am I just crap? I'm pretty accepting that I am crap, but...

is the sensor on the front wheel? if so, and you've been wheelieing for a significant portion of your rides, it might explain the lower figure.

Or if it's on the back and you're front wheelying!

I've got many skills.

Wheelies and stoppies are not one of them.

Unless I'm playing GTA.

Have you tried buying a new bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Do other people actually hit pause, or use autopause on their Garmins? Have I set mine up all wrong? Or am I just crap? I'm pretty accepting that I am crap, but...

I don't use auto pause, i hate the beeping when nearly stopped. I just let garmin and strava work out my moving time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have previously and it came up short. But I'm figuring that's down to stopping times. It's being alongside someone else at 27/28 for a round trip whilst my average is far lower that's doing my nut. Do other people actually hit pause, or use autopause on their Garmins? Have I set mine up all wrong? Or am I just crap? I'm pretty accepting that I am crap, but...

I have my Garmin on Autopause. I'm much better, when I use it.
    On a side note, a new bike always helps.

• Advertisement

Just bought a new Equillibrium.

<3 you guys.

Lol, jk.

<3 you guys.

Lol, jk.

I meant for you not your Mrs

<3 you guys.

Lol, jk.

I meant for you not your Mrs

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Disable the Speed/Cadence sensor on your Garmin and let it work out the distance and speed based on GPS alone. You don't need the speed sensor unless you are on a turbo or cycling through forests. If you are still getting dud results, then chuck the Garmin in the bin and buy another.

If you are STILL getting dud answers with the new Garmin, chuck the bike in the bin and buy another one (as previously recommended :D). If that doesn't work, then give the bike and Garmin to your missus and see how she gets on. You will then have replaced everything. Then you take up chess, or some other indoor sport. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

This thread must be getting near its limit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Quick, flee to Jan and Klödi's Party Bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

buffalo wrote: »

Is that place still going

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thank feck - the title annoys me daily*

*although I think I may have voted for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Have you tried swapping Garmins with another rider, see his/her results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Next time someone asks why greedy cyclists insist on taking up the whole lane and getting in the way of the poor cars, show them this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Any idea how long it takes for CI to send out the vouchers for the bike fitting studio? Want to get the fitting done asap but €50 off is not to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw a lad on a moped the other day with a high viz like this.

polite-cycling-waistcoat-large-image.jpg

I thought it was police, then saw the moped, then thought it was a forign police one. I can't remember what the other words were but I think it was similar.

I reckon some picky copper who took exception could do you for impersonating a policeman.

a few others I found on my search.

colour-8.jpg?w=628
    n-CHICKEN-large570.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

How is that impersonating a police officer? The word says "Polite" not "Police". The fact that it resembles a police hi vis does not make it an impersonation of a police officer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

How is that impersonating a police officer? The word says "Polite" not "Police". The fact that it resembles a police hi vis does not make it an impersonation of a police officer.

If it said Garda you might be in trouble here. Lol

why do chickens need hi-vis? they go to bed when it gets dark.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

why do chickens need hi-vis? they go to bed when it gets dark.

What if the chicken is crossing the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Idleater wrote: »
    I don't use auto pause, i hate the beeping when nearly stopped. I just let garmin and strava work out my moving time.

I just don't stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Close pass, then crash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Close pass, then crash!

Dr.evil_laugh.jpg

• Advertisement

Garmin saga concluded; combination of my wheel sensor being borked and autopause not on. Now it's all on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Instant karma! Just add eejit!

Need to but some degreaser for my chain / cassette.

Preferably in bulk, cheap and won't kill my lawn.

Any suggestuions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I see that mobile phone manufacturer HTC is ****ed

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-htc-slow-painful-demise-110804849.html#RHu2ctu

Is it a concidence that the slide began in 2011 when they ended their association with the eponymous cycling team? Just sayin' like...

el tel wrote: »
    I see that mobile phone manufacturer HTC is ****ed

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-htc-slow-painful-demise-110804849.html#RHu2ctu

Is it a concidence that the slide began in 2011 when they ended their association with the eponymous cycling team? Just sayin' like...

great phones all same points out that only apple making proper profits in smart phones now, people happy pay 50-100euro more for an apple product that does less in some cases

manafana wrote: »
    great phones all same points out that only apple making proper profits in smart phones now, people happy pay 50-100euro more for an apple product that does less in some cases

I love my HTC phones, despite the letters "h","t" and "c" all falling off, one by one.

iPhones are for dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

iPhones are for dicks.

This is a seriously dickheady statement.

(no, I don't have an iPhone)

el tel wrote: »
    I love my HTC phones, despite the letters "h","t" and "c" all falling off, one by one.

iPhones are for dicks.

reckon htc problem is people who love them keep them much longer than iphone users who will upgrade more often

Alek wrote: »
    (no, I don't have an iPhone)

But you will, one day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Introducing the "Alco-Lock" never drink and bike! ;)

a-breathalyzer-bike-lock-makes-you-blow-clean-before-cycling

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement