Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

In one of my least favourite places in life yesterday...A department store changing cubicle.

Thank you cycling for making it no longer be a traumatic experience being stuck in a small room full of mirrors.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Due to weight loss?

And there was me thinking it was something to do with UCI sample taking... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

cdaly_ wrote: »
    And there was me thinking it was something to do with UCI sample taking... ;)

Turns out that's frowned upon in department stores.. go figure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Get a new job. Anything that provides high stress can't be worth it if it ain't good for your health, mental or otherwise.

If it were an option. I'm stuck in a niche where stress is part and parcel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

If it were an option. I'm stuck in a niche where stress is part and parcel.

What are you, a spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Stress is good, unless you dont like what you're doing....then its awful.

born_to_cycle_forced_to_work_tshirt.jpg?height=350&width=350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Couldn't or don't want to?

Both, honestly.

As with RS, I'm in a niche that comes with stress. But I like what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Has anyone seen the chap who travels from Templogue->Terrenure and ends up out Grand Canal direction riding some beat up mountain bike with a petrol engine strapped on?!

I've seen a guy that goes from town towards Ballsbridge in the mornings (Around 6.30am) with a clapped out BSO and an engine, usually wears tracksuit bottoms, hoody and a motorcycle helmet.

Even overtook him one morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seen one guy on the GC path and another in Rathfarnham and one on the rock road.

Not the fastest but consistent,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's occasionally one fella with a petrol engine-bike around Wexford Town. Very slow and a lot of noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217869/

Unbreakable.

Great flick.

Goodfellas is 25 years old next month :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the gap between 'the beatles' (i.e. the white album) being released and 'nevermind' being released is 23 years.

'nevermind' is now 24 years old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was 24 years old ....

.... when Band Aid first released "Do they know it's Christmas":(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was 24 years old.....
    ..... when Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Very interesting programme on BBC ALBA tomorrow night @9:55.
    "Wheels of Change/Car na Cuibhle" a look at the ways that the face of Scottish cycling is beginning to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was 24 years old.....
    ..... when Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac.

And who wouldn't remember Stevie from back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

tigerboon wrote: »
    And who wouldn't remember Stevie from back then

I don't.

Beasty wrote: »
    I was 24 years old ....

.... when Band Aid first released "Do they know it's Christmas":(

And I was still in liquid form :pac:

OldBean wrote: »
    And I was still in liquid form :pac:

Like the bad guy in Terminator 2?

• Advertisement

c960x540_48.jpg

OldBean wrote: »
    c960x540_48.jpg

Thank God for that. The alternative was too much for this time of night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

the gap between 'the beatles' (i.e. the white album) being released and 'nevermind' being released is 23 years.

I'm 45 this year and the Beatles had broken up before I was born ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

But the real shocker was Debbie Harry turning 70 earlier this year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's our 20th wedding anniversary today. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I cannot find a device to play my wax-cylinder recordings of Al Jolson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anyone seen the chap who travels from Templogue->Terrenure and ends up out Grand Canal direction riding some beat up mountain bike with a petrol engine strapped on?!
    Older guy? Got passed by someone (him I'm assuming) a couple of years back on the Rathgar Rd outbound. Was hammering along and got a bit of a shock to see an old guy on a wrecked MTB making ground on me. Couldn't hear the engine until he'd already passed me.
    RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm 45 this year and the Beatles had broken up before I was born ;)
    John Lennon was murdered before I was born. I wasn't even a teenager when Cobain died.

You guys make a man feel good about his youth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

seamus wrote: »
    Older guy? Got passed by someone (him I'm assuming) a couple of years back on the Rathgar Rd outbound. Was hammering along and got a bit of a shock to see an old guy on a wrecked MTB making ground on me. Couldn't hear the engine until he'd already passed me.

This guy wasn't old, but I did see some other chap, on a different petrol powered heap of shite MTB on the way home! I'd reckon they top out at 40km/h as I can just about keep ahead of them with a bit of wind behind me!

John Lennon was murdered before I was born. I wasn't even a teenager when Cobain died.

No point in asking you whether you have an Edison Amberola at home I might borrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably seen by most - supervalu van parking from broadsheet:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/08/11/valu-added/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's along the grand canal just before Baggot Street.

There was a Waterways Ireland truck parked on the cycle lane at the Leeson St lock yesterday basically taking up the whole path.

Actually quite impressed that he managed to get it in there, it would have required a significant amount of maneuvering a truck around narrow bends and across footpaths to get it in there.

• Advertisement

probably seen by most - supervalu van parking from broadsheet:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/08/11/valu-added/

I passed as it was getting done by the traffic corp. Camera wasn't working but the Super Valu guy looked shook. Even worse was their are parking spaces that were not taken on the other side of the road, just looks like hopping the kerb was quicker.

ah, so it was ticketed?

ah, so it was ticketed?

It was being written out as I passed, you could see the blue lights all the way from the dock end of the canal. Still seen a couple of cars and cyclists run reds right in front of the cop car but I suppose its one job at a time, not a slight on the Gardai, more a shock at the complete lack of observational skill or respect for the AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

being issues with vehicles on the path nearly charlmont, one day one of service cars for alston parked up blocking half the lane, then the construction site climbing its truck onto the lanes too.

Might point out to council that the building contractors should ensure the path remains in good nick after all there beating about with the lorries, anyone notice what a state the cycle path towards the goat pub after UCD is in along the new apartment developments pretty unridable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

furiousox wrote: »
    It's our 20th wedding anniversary today. :)

PARTY!!!!

I wasn't even a teenager when Cobain died.

You guys make a man feel good about his youth :D

To make you feel even better I saw Nirvana play in the point depot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

I hate when I go into a shop and look at a bike and tell them I want a small, but they say no, you want a medium, and I say no, I am a small, and they say no, you are a medium, and I say shove yer bike up yer hole so, and they respond that you are a medium. Why do people refuse to listen.

lennymc wrote: »
    I hate when I go into a shop and look at a bike and tell them I want a small, but they say no, you want a medium, and I say no, I am a small, and they say no, you are a medium, and I say shove yer bike up yer hole so, and they respond that you are a medium. Why do people refuse to listen.

Typical attitude of a Medium, think they know more than the rest of with some special insight.

my wife had that when she was looking for a bike. she's about 5'10" or 5'11, and we were told that no, she needed a womans bike because women have 'skinny little shoulders'. i say we, because the shop assistant was telling me (despite her asking him the question) this while my wife was standing beside him and looking down on him, being an inch or two taller than him.

You're definitely a medium....

• Advertisement

Sorry, what?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Kav0777 wrote: »
    You're definitely a medium....

You're definitely a we've got medium in stock.

RobFowl wrote: »
    To make you feel even better I saw Nirvana play in the point depot...

me too, ... with the breeders and teenage fanclub.

Quite stubborn attitude. Medium-man syndrome.

are you able to contact the spirits of the dead? if so, i'd say you're definitely a medium. you may be a small medium, but a medium nonetheless.

I've seen the Velvet Underground live.
    I passed on seeing Pink Floyd in the mid 90's.
    I think I said something like "I'll catch them next time". :(

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

All bar one bike shop I've been in (shout out to Bee Cycles!) with my road bike have told me my bike is too small. And that I have too much of a bar to saddle drop for a woman (well some said lady!) and would I think about a bigger frame? It would be way more comfortable for me :rolleyes:
    Meanwhile I'm thinking my next one will be even smaller. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How is that impersonating a police officer? The word says "Polite" not "Police". The fact that it resembles a police hi vis does not make it an impersonation of a police officer.
    wow...
    I suppose you would think adding an i to the end of this would be fine too?! -the word says "gardai" not "garda" not even "gardaí"

garda-55-310x415.jpg

Whoa! Horse riders wearing hi-viz could be arrested for impersonating police

Police have complained that riders are being mistaken for policemen
    Riders often wear the words Polite or Please on the back of the vests
    Assistant chief constable Ron Hanson wrote: ‘Anyone possessing these products is at risk of breaking the law'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319998/Whoa-Horse-riders-wearing-hi-viz-arrested-impersonating-police.html#ixzz3iVnPDHLJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

gadetra wrote: »
    All bar one bike shop I've been in (shout out to Bee Cycles!) with my road bike have told me my bike is too small. And that I have too much of a bar to saddle drop for a woman (well some said lady!) and would I think about a bigger frame? It would be way more comfortable for me :rolleyes:
    Meanwhile I'm thinking my next one will be even smaller. :pac:

They must have been high if they were talking about the bike you arrive on to track.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »

In Ireland, not a hope, our police force are "Garda" not "Police", I think all the Cyclone MB couriers use them, while I admit they could be mistaken for Gardai, with their blatant disregard for the RTA, but not by their hi vis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement