Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Canyon launching own bike computer. Runs Android. Can install apps on it.

About time really. Android bike computers should be everywhere in 3 years. They should wipe the floor with garmins for value and functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Another cyclist vs. motorist video!

Have to say there's a certain cruel truth to this. Some of the helmet cam footage on YouTube is pretty bratty and pretty pratty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Have to say there's a certain cruel truth to this. Some of the helmet cam footage on YouTube is pretty bratty and pretty pratty.
    The dogged pursuit was very funny. Punchline undermined it a bit. Rather reminiscent of the Pythons' milkman sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

was on way home yesterday.. heading up dame st and a car cut me off. hit the brakes and skid a bit.. all undercontrol.. my front tyre hit his back tyre but we were both going pretty slow..

A fellow cyclist pulled up beside me and said "what a **ckhead" while shaking his head in disgust.

Same cyclist proceeded to fly through the pedestrian lights while they were red as a woman was trying to cross the road..

I couldn't stop laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Never considered that you could do this with water outside the glass rather than inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You need to do the dishes more often and find yourself suitably bored in the process so you piss about and discover these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Or drink more wine in the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Or drink more wine in the bath.
    Whilst stroking the top of your goblet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

shansey wrote: »
    was on way home yesterday.. heading up dame st and a car cut me off. hit the brakes and skid a bit.. all undercontrol.. my front tyre hit his back tyre but we were both going pretty slow..

A fellow cyclist pulled up beside me and said "what a **ckhead" while shaking his head in disgust.

Same cyclist proceeded to fly through the pedestrian lights while they were red as a woman was trying to cross the road..

I couldn't stop laughing.

Saw an outraged IFSC worker on his bike on Seville Place gesticulate wildly when a car did a U-turn about 200m ahead of him.

He then went and broke every red light we encountered before our paths diverged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Another cyclist vs. motorist video!

Enjoyed that. I clicked back in the video to re-watch the "punishment pass" before going on to watch the rest of it. I figured I must have missed something.......

Would have been improved if there were a few pedestrian crossings/red lights during the pursuit phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've never really cycled much as an adult, started driving 11 odd years ago and never really had the inclination. Today marked the arrival of my Scott Speedster 40, work has changed for me so cycling to work for the first time in my life is an option and that's what I intend to do. Anyway got the bike this evening and it just looked so damn good I had to go for a spin.
    Cycling through Dublin City Centre on a maiden spin is not for the faint hearted!

I've never really cycled much as an adult, started driving 11 odd years ago and never really had the inclination. Today marked the arrival of my Scott Speedster 40, work has changed for me so cycling to work for the first time in my life is an option and that's what I intend to do. Anyway got the bike this evening and it just looked so damn good I had to go for a spin.
    Cycling through Dublin City Centre on a maiden spin is not for the faint hearted!

It'll soon be second nature - welcome to the wheel world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Every time i watch it i keep hoping he looks up in time
    sht-happens-sometimes-32.gif?w=390

Is that Froomey on his way to work?

I actually did that myself one time, thankfully at a far slower speed and didn't damage the car :o

It'll soon be second nature - welcome to the wheel world!

Tbh it was grand, traffic and lunatics are second nature but jaysis me hole

Tbh it was grand, traffic and lunatics are second nature but jaysis me hole

You will soon have a callused hole like a jockey's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

About time really. Android bike computers should be everywhere in 3 years. They should wipe the floor with garmins for value and functionality.

everything except battery life .

everything except battery life .

Once you put it in the form of a bike computer - something that's off for minimum 75% of every day, something with the screen dimmed for 99% of the day, no camera, no need for massive memory, it should have pretty great battery life even if you make the screen twice as big as the top of the range garmin.

Once you put it in the form of a bike computer - something that's off for minimum 75% of every day, something with the screen dimmed for 99% of the day, no camera, no need for massive memory, it should have pretty great battery life even if you make the screen twice as big as the top of the range garmin.

Battery demands would be much higher running a full OS like android. Boot times would also be much slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

running a full OS like android

This will be the smartwatch version of Android, so with nicely optimized power consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So today around lunchtime the 3 Network rejected me, and doesn't love me enough to take me back....:(

cunavalos wrote: »
    Every time i watch it i keep hoping he looks up in time

I know a guy who done that exact thing, was crippled with whiplash for ages and his frame was compacted and bent.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

New De Rosa SuperKing. Yum.

IMG_0189-1-576x384.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Where are the guards? Every time a cyclist breaks a red light then his bike should be taken off him and compacted into a cube and handed back. This should be the case until the problem isn't so systemic. Are cyclists in some way brain damaged in this regard? It's baffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mayway wrote: »
    Where are the guards? Every time a cyclist breaks a red light then his bike should be taken off him and compacted into a cube and handed back. This should be the case until the problem isn't so systemic. Are cyclists in some way brain damaged in this regard? It's baffling.

MOD VOICE:Thanks for the incredibly well thought out and researched post
    Please don't post in the cycling forum again
    Questions via PM only, do not respond in thread.

To everyone else, it goes without saying, do not respond to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Canyon launching own bike computer. Runs Android. Can install apps on it.

"IN PARTNERSHIP WITH SONY"
    Doesn't fill me with optimism,.
    This will be the smartwatch version of Android, so with nicely optimized power consumption.
    8-10 hrs of battery life claimed.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Doesn't fill me with optimism
    Sony were doing stupidly expensive proprietary connectors before Apple made it cool. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Competition = good. Even more complexity = bad.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Doesn't fill me with optimism,.

I was given my first Sony smartphone as my company phone recently and I have to say I'm impressed with it, it's a nice bit of kit and even their own bloatware and software skins that come with it isn't too bad, much better than bloody Samsungs Touchwiz crap.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I see Astana are in this afternoon's draw for the UEFA Champions League. Let's see how Nibs can do against the really big boys ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I really dont like that de rosa.

I forgive you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Gloss black, unless you're shining your boots for an army parade, looks awful.
    That shade of red belongs in zombie B movie.

I forgive you
    You didn't post it in Images Of Beauty because deep down you knew that it wasn't worthy.

I didn't post it in Images of Beauty because it isn't my bike.

Jesus I'm at my desk here and my hole is in a heap.

List of stuff to buy as a novice bikeist

-Padded Shorts
    -Decent Pump
    -Spare Tube(s)
    -Tyre Levers
    -something to put the above in

Anybody recommend a bricks and mortar place I'll get the above today/this evening

Anybody recommend a bricks and mortar place I'll get the above today/this evening

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

-Padded Shorts
    -Decent Pump
    -Spare Tube(s)
    -Tyre Levers

Padded shorts - Lidl may have some left as they were in last Monday. I think they had multi tools and tyre levers in a set too.

The pump and tubes can be got in any bike shop. You'll need a pump with a gauge on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

-Padded Shorts
    -Decent Pump
    -Spare Tube(s)
    -Tyre Levers

If your in Dundrum, Joe Daly will have them on the shelf, further down the road in either direction you have Fitzcycles in Stillorgan and ThinkBike in Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire have a great range of stuff if you're out that way?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I didn't post it in Images of Beauty because it isn't my bike.
    Never stops Raam trawling the internet for entries .....

I'm in Sandyford so Dundrum on the way out will suit. Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

-Decent Pump
    -Spare Tube(s)
    -Tyre Levers
    I got marathon plus tyres and no longer needed to carry any repair kits, as I was so confident of getting no punctures. As you are seemingly commuting you might want to think about them. I was getting loads of punctures before that and turning up late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Never stops Raam trawling the internet for entries .....

:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1374195&postcount=1
    uberwolf wrote: »
    Seeing as the after hours lads have been drooling over their own concepts of beauty thought occured that the cyclists could post images of their equipment. And of their dream bikes etc. happy viewing.

Padded shorts helped slightly on tonight's spin. Fairly uneventful 25kms. Taxi driver tried passed me with a hair of space in a cycle lane, he definitely got real close on purpose and had to roar at some pedestrians but I assume that's all pretty standard :)

Thanks for all the advice today btw guys, much appreciated

Self-driving cars and track stands: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2015/08/26/how-fixed-gear-bikes-can-confuse-googles-self-driving-cars/

"While a human driver can easily see a rider doing a track stand isn’t going anywhere, Google’s self-driving car seems to be still be figuring that out."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ordered a few bits online. Jerseys, gels, Kryptonite lock. Order dispatched - time to put the credit card away for a while.

There's no O/T thread in C&T. Can anyone tell me where this junction is: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-to-activate-second-camera-at-luas-lights-1.2331304
    Dublin City Council to activate second camera at Luas lights

The council is now taking steps to connect a camera at the junction of Con Colbert Road and the South Circular Road.

No Luas tracks here: https://goo.gl/maps/OlwEN

Is it here? https://goo.gl/maps/J9zP9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

buffalo wrote: »
    Self-driving cars and track stands: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2015/08/26/how-fixed-gear-bikes-can-confuse-googles-self-driving-cars/

"While a human driver can easily see a rider doing a track stand isn’t going anywhere, Google’s self-driving car seems to be still be figuring that out."

I wouldn't like to be the on the team that has to program these cars.

IF (PEDESTRIAN==standing_on_pavement) AND (CHILD==On_road) AND (CAR==in_opposite_lane)
    Smash(???);
    ENDIF

I'm not sure what variable I would use in my Smash() function.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement