Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Are the Halford's cheapy road bikes really that awful? I mean they're reduced from €700 to €300 and the only time that tactic is ever used is when they're probably worth €200 to begin with. I'm just thinking about keeping my hybrid for hopping about in (should I ever move apartment, or go on a tour) and getting a road bike for cycling about quickly on. Or I could sell the hybrid and get a second hand road bike for about €500.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    So what you're saying is it was a way to stop the likes of Astra "buying" his way to success ....:pac:

More like BC cough cough ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Are the Halford's cheapy road bikes really that awful? I mean they're reduced from €700 to €300 and the only time that tactic is ever used is when they're probably worth €200 to begin with. I'm just thinking about keeping my hybrid for hopping about in (should I ever move apartment, or go on a tour) and getting a road bike for cycling about quickly on. Or I could sell the hybrid and get a second hand road bike for about €500.

Halfords Carrera bikes aren't bad. You need to spend a few quid on them - the cheap ones (i.e. €300) with the trigger shifters are a joke. (don't bother with the Apollos).

This one looks decent spec, for €450 it would tick the box if you could stretch (or sell the hybrid to part fund it).

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810675_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

If you've got €500, second hand will get you a better bike. Depending on sizing, something like this http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/stevens-san-remo/4537495

Looks like he accepted €280 - a steal (provided it wasn't, of course!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

AdMMM wrote: »
    So I got my first pair of cycling shorts delivered, and I really don't know what to make of them.

It feels as if I've (how I'd imagine if would feel) stuffed a giant maxi pad down a pair of shorts. I don't even know if the padding is doing a good job because I've always had a big arse and the padding doesn't reach all of it!

Is this just something I'll get used to?

Padded arse pants are the single most comfortable items of clothing ever made. fact. I don't know how I managed before I got mine. I even left them on for a few hours after I had gotten off the bike. It's like having a comforting, supportive, cycle smoothing hand on your shoulder, except down there. And lycra! Wondrously comfortable starchy second skin goodness. The only thing I'd say is the shaping and thickness of the ladies ones needs work. Too much padding on the seat bones and not enough in the middle or front. The breathability trade off is a toughie too, I imagine for guys as well.

But they're soooooooo comfy. I totally don't do the wearing them for a while after getting off the bike thing anymore. Not at all. Nope *whistles* :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

They're also not worth cheaping out on. They make a huge difference breaking in a leather saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Garmin Edge 1000

Edge-1000-2-620x604.jpg
    18540d1389650584-turbosocks-high-quality-oil-catch-can-group-buy-interest-homer-drool.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

This is not a Strava anomaly.World record attempt for downhill cycling on snow

214 kph:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

daragh_ wrote: »
    Few nasty spots of gravel on the road down to Enniskerry from Glencree. Just after the turn for the Devils Elbow.

Take it handy coming down.

gravel everywere around their felt bit coming in the enniskerry road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

RobFowl wrote: »
    It was an attempt to beat "financial doping" where richer teams and countries could pay extraordinary amounts for equipment where poorer ones simply couldn't.
    I actually think its a good idea......
    Cycling should be about who has the best legs rather than the lightest bike.....

i concur the difference in team tech becomes evident in the tt's were it almost becomes like f1.

other thing is if weight is much lower then power meters and other add ones maybe removed, id like see more data in pblic si I am all for keeping weight as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://twitter.com/JackWilshere/status/453970353950584833

Jack Wilshere puts in some good numbers on the Wattbike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First race of the year with Orwell tonight. Commence sandbagging; I've had the most dismal/pathetic winter's training since I started on the road bike, I have a sore back, I was up with the child at 5am and my legs feel tired. So I'm just out there for fun tonight and to remind myself what pain is. The only plus is that I'm 3kg lighter than I was this time last year, but I don't think that makes a difference in a 20 minute crit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

seamus wrote: »
    First race of the year with Orwell tonight. Commence sandbagging; I've had the most dismal/pathetic winter's training since I started on the road bike, I have a sore back, I was up with the child at 5am and my legs feel tired. So I'm just out there for fun tonight and to remind myself what pain is. The only plus is that I'm 3kg lighter than I was this time last year, but I don't think that makes a difference in a 20 minute crit.

I predict a win.

A €3 bike lock? I mean, really? At that price there can't be very much metal in it. You may as well use a zip tie.

When you order a bile from Wiggle or some other online business what putting together of the bike do you have to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lyaiera wrote: »
    When you order a bile from Wiggle or some other online business what putting together of the bike do you have to do?
    It varies, but typically: put on pedals, attach/straighten handlebars, attach rear derailleur, pump up tyres.

The gears and brakes should all be perfectly adjusted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Just checked my cassette..its a 12-30..and not a 11-28 as I thought when it came with the bike last year..

..my whole life is a lie

On that note, should I upgrade to a 28/27/26, is there much difference?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »

May be a bit of a struggle for you, particularly on the hills:pac:

You are basically losing your lowest gear - that's all. So if you don't use it you're not going to miss it....

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    May be a bit of a struggle for you, particularly on the hills:pac:

You are basically losing your lowest gear - that's all. So if you don't use it you're not going to miss it....

Am I missing some sort of low blow/joke/joke between mods thing here? :eek:

Got it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just checked my cassette..its a 12-30..and not a 11-28 as I thought when it came with the bike last year..

..my whole life is a lie

11-23 think of all those flat Stava KOM's you can get with a higher gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I see the Athlone Advertiser is headlining on a mad-sounding change to the National Cycle Route that will bring cyclists across the big bridge into the city and through a very busy square, rather than having their own bridge built. (On 'De Friday Papers in broadsheet.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..my whole life is a lie

So you've taken all those KOM's using a big girl's blouse! I dread to see what destruction you'd cause with a 23/11! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

Auction of bikes and equipment in Belfast on Saturday.
    Telephone/internet bidding available.

http://www.armstrongauctions.co.uk/products_auto.php?categoryid=575

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

furiousox wrote: »

http://www.armstrongauctions.co.uk/details_auto.php?productid=11293

Hahaha... King Midas' bike!

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »

I wonder if its 9 or 18 carat?

This one looks like it has it's own coffee maker on the back....

http://www.armstrongauctions.co.uk/details_auto.php?productid=11286

And no brakes. Ultimate KOM machine!

And no brakes. Ultimate KOM machine!

Should be put in the ugly thread.....what was he thinking?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I wonder if its 9 or 18 carat?

http://www.armstrongauctions.co.uk/details_auto.php?productid=11286

I think it's actually a blender.

Judging by it, I'd say that bike was created to be used at fairs or events, it's hipster chiq or something. The small front wheel is to make it level.

seamus wrote: »
    I think it's actually a blender.

Judging by it, I'd say that bike was created to be used at fairs or events, it's hipster chiq or something. The small front wheel is to make it level.

Fair enough, would be handy for a long cycle. Getting 'the knock' just blend a few bananas into an energy filled smoothy and on your way with you. All you need is an extension lead and the kindness of a stranger to plug it into. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was coming down from the Fire Station in Swords to the N1 roundabout this morning, bus pulls out in front of me from North Street, but stays to the right hand lane approaching the roundabout, forcing me to the left hand lane, I wish to continue straight at the roundabout, a gap in the traffic comes and we both pull onto the roundabout, he takes a left to head up to donabate from the wrong (righthand) lane and nearly cleans me up in the process, only realising what he was at promptly and taking the left with him prevented a collision.

Rant over and not worthy of its own thread, but its the second time in 2 weeks someone has nearly taken me out at that roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Complain giving time and day to the bus company. I did it with a company that runs M1 to Whitehall etc and got a pleasant surprise at how they dealt with it.

After complaining to Aircoach and some very corteous load of bull**** in a few emails from their side, nothing happened. The last email I got was a nicely worded "we are still investigating", 3 months after the incident... Next time I won't waste my time and will go to Traffic Watch or Gardai straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

furiousox wrote: »
    Telephone/internet bidding available.

http://www.armstrongauctions.co.uk/products_auto.php?categoryid=575
    It's a bit sad that this seems to be an LBS that's gone under judging by all the other contents on offer :(

AdMMM wrote: »
    It's a bit sad that this seems to be an LBS that's gone under judging by all the other contents on offer :(

It's all stuff from BikeDock AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I was nearly decapitated by a Bus Eireann last Sunday. I emailed them and they claimed that the depo manager spoke to the driver in question. Whether he did or not is another story but at least I got a reply. I think the private companies are more likely to ignore you though.

Matthews sorted something in less than 48 hours.

After complaining to Aircoach and some very corteous load of bull**** in a few emails from their side, nothing happened. The last email I got was a nicely worded "we are still investigating", 3 months after the incident... Next time I won't waste my time and will go to Traffic Watch or Gardai straight away.

Why not go to traffic watch in the first place?

Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I hope I am in the right place. After many years of not cycling, I have decided to take the plunge and get a bike. Just for casual use, to see how it goes. I have decided on a hybrid, and was thinking of a TREK 7.2 FX, anyone know anything about them? or suggest alternatives for circa 450-500 euro?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I have decided on a hybrid, and was thinking of a TREK 7.2 FX, anyone know anything about them?
    They're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Three days this week I have had lunch from Poulet Bonne Femme.

Brings a new meaning to three days de pain.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/horner-suffers-punctured-lung-broken-ribs-training-crash_323850

Chris Horner's had a pretty serious sounding collision with a car while training in Italy. Punctured lung, broken ribs and more. F##k

Isn't this DurianRider's girlfriend??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2601633/I-eat-51-bananas-day-Self-proclaimed-diet-guru-claims-toned-physique-MOUNTAINS-fruit-eats-single-meal-time.html

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/horner-suffers-punctured-lung-broken-ribs-training-crash_323850

Chris Horner's had a pretty serious sounding collision with a car while training in Italy. Punctured lung, broken ribs and more. F##k

That driver of the car sounds like a dope..

Ill get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I hope I am in the right place. After many years of not cycling, I have decided to take the plunge and get a bike. Just for casual use, to see how it goes. I have decided on a hybrid, and was thinking of a TREK 7.2 FX, anyone know anything about them? or suggest alternatives for circa 450-500 euro?

Thanks
    Good bike for general use. Or a giant rapid. Either are good and have good resale value as a reputable brand. Get advice from a reputable LBS or 3 in your locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Isn't this DurianRider's girlfriend??

Ye that looks like her alright. I was looking at the RAW diet thing. Was half thinking of giving it a go but I think I'd be spending most of my time in the jacks :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Could well be a stupid question.

Have a race tomorrow and got new tyres that are about to go on the bike. Would it be a smart thing to change tyres the day before a race (the race warmup will be the first time the tyres will touch tarmac)? Would a completely new tyre be more or less grippy than a well worn in tyre or would they be the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hmmzis wrote: »

Have a race tomorrow and got new tyres that are about to go on the bike. Would it be a smart thing to change tyres the day before a race (the race warmup will be the first time the tyres will touch tarmac)? Would a completely new tyre be more or less grippy than a well worn in tyre or would they be the same?

Use them and let the rest of us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hmmzis wrote: »

If it was dry it wouldn't bother me I'd be more worried about getting a puncture with a newly fitted tube. If it was any way damp I'd prefer it was scrubbed in a bit. Unless your worn tires are down to the carcass or badly cut up I'd use them. Have you punctured on them recently.
    Still plenty of daylight left to put a few K on the new ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement