Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Good bike for general use. Or a giant rapid. Either are good and have good resale value as a reputable brand. Get advice from a reputable LBS or 3 in your locality.

Yes, I always buy local whenever it is possible. It was the local guy who pointed me to the TREK, and in fairness did show me cheaper and more expensive bikes. I was really just looking for a second opinion and see if anyone had used that bike.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Yes, I always buy local whenever it is possible. It was the local guy who pointed me to the TREK, and in fairness did show me cheaper and more expensive bikes. I was really just looking for a second opinion and see if anyone had used that bike.

Thanks again

Now, if someone designed a good, light, sturdy, stylish woman's bike, Irish-made, not too pricey, I think there'd be a good market for it. Women love buying locally even more than men, I'd think *[based on no research].

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Good bike for general use. Or a giant rapid. Either are good and have good resale value as a reputable brand. Get advice from a reputable LBS or 3 in your locality.

Kona Dew City Vs Trek 7.2FX ? Any preference?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What are the jerseys like on SCR? I think I should probably stop wearing just a normal t-shirt.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jerseys-tops.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What are the jerseys like on SCR? I think I should probably stop wearing just a normal t-shirt.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jerseys-tops.html

Any of them is going to be more comfortable than a (presumably) cotton t- shirt. Fit and fabric that wicks away sweat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ive a great idea, Ill take off my jacket mid cycle..

article-2600627-1CF5D16900000578-318_634x352.jpg

..and then dangle it on the handlebars, what could go wrong?

article-2600627-1CF5D15F00000578-256_634x374.jpg

This was the one photo I was somewhat happy with from my last roll of film. It's the second bicycle shot that I've taken that I've liked. There's just something romantic about someone commuting by bike and black and white film (at least to me anyway.) I think bikes on the street make a photo of a city feel even more like a city (or maybe that's just more of a European city.) The other one I took didn't work out due to a light leak in the camera but I've decided to pay special attention to commuters from now on.

13817635433_4659d3588d_o.jpg
    Cork City Hall Bike by mrendatious1, on Flickr

(If the mods have any issue with me tooting my own trumpet or this isn't the right place I understand if you want me to take the image down.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I think bikes on the street make a photo of a city feel even more like a city (or maybe that's just more of a European city.)

I like the composition with the other person waiting for the bus. You can see time passing. Very clever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

First race of season and rode well, off the front a few times but missed out on chance for a placing after getting caught behind 2 crashes...

Watched a Superb Paris Roubaix ....

Saw Liverpool win 3:2

But despite all this can't help but think it all pales into insignificance when you remember the 96

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Dear diary,

2nd place by 1 second on a segment in the Phoenix park tonight..gutted..

Pretty sure 1st place is a Boardsie aswel, even more gutting. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Dear diary,

2nd place by 1 second on a segment in the Phoenix park tonight..gutted..

Pretty sure 1st place is a Boardsie aswel, even more gutting. :pac:

You must not have the Garmin virtual partner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    ....Pretty sure 1st place is a Boardsie aswel, even more gutting. :pac:
    Indeed - and a regular poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I understand powermeters have been done to death on here so not going to start another thread unless a Mod suggests I do. Currently looking into getting one. I'm looking between powertap g3 and Garmin Vector. I'm running a Campag setup with alloy cranks so I'm unsure as to whether stages would be a possible option.

Going to be purchasing in the next month or so. Going to pick up and read over Training and Racing with a Power Meter in the mean time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I understand powermeters have been done to death on here so not going to start another thread unless a Mod suggests I do. Currently looking into getting one. I'm looking between powertap g3 and Garmin Vector. I'm running a Campag setup with alloy cranks so I'm unsure as to whether stages would be a possible option.

Going to be purchasing in the next month or so. Going to pick up and read over Training and Racing with a Power Meter in the mean time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

im tempted to get one too great training aid looking at the best option without blowing budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

manafana wrote: »
    im tempted to get one too great training aid looking at the best option without blowing budget

Are you going racing manafana?
    if you use one for race training, then yes, they are great, but i dont really see the point in using one unless you are training to race.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sarz91 wrote: »

This is probably the best recent thread to have a look at comparing pretty much everything that's currently out there

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

*extremely nerdy post alert*

I was browsing through the list of upcoming course on Coursera today and came across this:
    ‘Sports and Building Aerodynamics’. It looks at topics like fluid flow, wind tunnel testing etc...the last week focuses completely on cycling aerodynamics; If nothing else I’d say doing this course will help you win a few arguments on here ;)
    The course is free btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anyone know anywhere near to Temple Street that's reasonably safe to lock my bike?

colm18 wrote: »
    *extremely nerdy post alert*

I was browsing through the list of upcoming course on Coursera today and came across this:
    ‘Sports and Building Aerodynamics’. It looks at topics like fluid flow, wind tunnel testing etc...the last week focuses completely on cycling aerodynamics; If nothing else I’d say doing this course will help you win a few arguments on here ;)
    The course is free btw.

Cheers for that. Signed up for it. I work with CFD quite a bit where I work but it looks quite interesting and seen as it's free why not.

I find myself drifting over here more and more frequently. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

daragh_ wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere near to Temple Street that's reasonably safe to lock my bike?
    There's a bike rack in the Q Park on Sean McDermott Street (Clery's Car Park).
    I'm not sure how safe it is, but it's only a couple of minutes from Temple Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

lennymc wrote: »

NSFW!

CPL 593H

Are you going racing manafana?
    if you use one for race training, then yes, they are great, but i dont really see the point in using one unless you are training to race.

nah prob not racing but as training tool, which is why i wont buy one at minute. More used for improving my climbing again etc to go for Alpes next year probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I blame the slippery slope of your bongo hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

daragh_ wrote: »

There's a few racks opposite the Hugh Lane Gallery, at the Garden of Remembrance viewing area, on Parnell Square North. Probably the closest racks to Temple St that are reasonably safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Anyone know of someone that tailors custom jerseys in the south ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

A lesson in why you should never stop sprinting until the line:

1017747_10203493655091446_1701885596748698022_n.jpg

10245484_10203493654571433_3144880857719612232_n.jpg

10245487_10203493655251450_4342739473512378327_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bought myself a new rothar. Carrera Monza made my Battaglin. Nice 531 frame. We'll see what its like when I get it.

I was given the middle fingers from a driver who was driving his bmw m3 right up my ass in the bus lane coming to the long mile, as I tried to switch lanes to make the right turn, some people eh even had someone in car too some people eh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

got the fingers from a driver who was riding up my ass in bus lane as I tried to switch lanes to make the right turn, some people eh even had someone in car too some people eh.

Cheeez, that should be in party bus or after hours or somewhere...

Are there any SwimCycleRun discount codes knocking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Made it to a Decathlon store in Portugal today...sadly had to spend the majority of teh too much money I spent on Running stuff.

Did get some nice bib shorts and bib tights for winter though...Portugal seems to be heavily MTB biased. Ferk all roadie kit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

No, I don't know why:

303266.jpg

(Don't click here - down with this sort of thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

doozerie wrote: »
    No, I don't know why:

303266.jpg

(Don't click here - down with this sort of thing).

Spend over $100 and you get a free minispeaker with a recorded message of "Don´t look at me, don´t look at me, please don´t look at me!" playing in an endless loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

No, I don't know why:

Arrgghhh, it burns, it burnssssssss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Man cycling to work in Ballymun shot dead

http://www.newstalk.ie/Man-shot-dead-in-north-Dublin-gun-attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I was given the middle fingers from a driver who was driving his bmw m3 right up my ass in the bus lane coming to the long mile, as I tried to switch lanes to make the right turn, some people eh even had someone in car too some people eh.

It probably wasn't even an M3. Just a 1.6 petrol with the M3 badge. If that makes it better or worse for you, I don't know.

Some interesting answers here to the question of when you should replace quick-release skewers. If there is a common view in there, it is that you should (probably) replace them when you replace the wheels they were used with.

If there is a common view in there, it is that you should (probably) replace them when you replace the wheels they were used with.

what if its triggers wheel, and had 7 new rims, and 3 new hubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I sometimes feel like a right eejit sitting at a red light when it looks safe to just carry on straight at a junction. Imagine my delight when a student from UCD flies past me and then nearly gets collected by a car that's heading down straight rarely used Cul De Sac instead of taking the right turn. Gave both the driver and the cyclist a fright... and reminded me that I'm right to not break reds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AdMMM wrote: »
    I sometimes feel like a right eejit sitting at a red light when it looks safe to just carry on ..
    Would you feel the same in a motorised vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most people are most likely to break road laws when on foot, that same person when on a bicycle is less likely to break the law, and that same person when in a car is even less likely to break the law. Note I am not saying "motorist" or "cyclist" in some threads people go on like they are a different species, and try and make out like the cyclist is a utter lunatic who would behave the same in a car, while they have a head in the sand approach to pedestrians.

Some are either truly ignorant as to why, while I suspect more just feign ignorance about it. In typical after hours threads you will see stuff like "they think its their god given right to break lights" -when really is a "garda given right", the likelihood of them breaking the law is in direct proportion of them being done for it by a garda.

I see people jaywalking all the time, its the most tolerated crime seen on the roads, some don't even think we have jaywalking laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

So I bought my first ever CO2 inflator, saw a good deal in a LBS. Two quick questions for non CO2 novices

The refill I got for it is pretty huge, it's 40 grams. When I do eventually use it, I'm probably not going to use all of that. Is it safe to keep an opened CO2 cartridge?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't keep it in my back pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No, because in a car, people are far less likely to overtake me and just fly through the lights.

The reason why I feel like an eejit on my bike is because I'm often left like Billy No Mates at the lights because everyone else just goes through them.

So I bought my first ever CO2 inflator, saw a good deal in a LBS. Two quick questions for non CO2 novices

The refill I got for it is pretty huge, it's 40 grams. When I do eventually use it, I'm probably not going to use all of that. Is it safe to keep an opened CO2 cartridge?

I've never used CO2 cartridges either but I wouldn't be so keen on keeping a pressurised cannister of anything in my back pocket in the event I come off the bike and it bursts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

40 Grams sounds huge to me. I use CO2. The cartridges, that I use, are 16 grams. One 16gram cartridge will inflate a 700 X 23 tyre to 120psi, approx.
    so I know, that one cartridge will do one tyre, and not over inflate it.
    With yours, how do you know, when to stop? . With mine, it takes about a second to fully inflate. I imagine, with yours, that you could over inflate very easily.
    I would not be inclined to carry an opened cartridge in my back pocket. If the valve, failed, it could get very very very cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Eamonnator wrote: »
    40 Grams sounds huge to me. I use CO2. The cartridges, that I use, are 16 grams. One 16gram cartridge will inflate a 700 X 23 tyre to 120psi, approx.
    so I know, that one cartridge will do one tyre, and not over inflate it.
    With yours, how do you know, when to stop? . With mine, it takes about a second to fully inflate. I imagine, with yours, that you could over inflate very easily.
    I would not be inclined to carry an opened cartridge in my back pocket. If the valve, failed, it could get very very very cold.

It is huge! Meant for Mountain bike tyres I would think. I'll just have to use mechanical sympathy I think. Yeah, basically what I'm afraid of is whether it might freeze a hole into my back or not. Probably not worth the risk.

Is there anything decent cycling wise on Netflix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It is huge! Meant for Mountain bike tyres I would think. I'll just have to use mechanical sympathy I think. Yeah, basically what I'm afraid of is whether it might freeze a hole into my back or not. Probably not worth the risk.

Keep it for a motorbike tyre.

I don't think it's for an MTB tyre as these usually run at lower pressures so the same 16g canister will inflate most bike tyre sizes to a suitable pressure.

I usually vent the remaining gas from a 16g canister after inflating a tyre.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement