Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Another charming young lady.
    “I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bull**** and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she told a police officer.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”
    Err, at least she didn't tweet about it I suppose. Australia comes across as a really cycle-friendly place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Another charming young lady.

Err, at least she didn't tweet about it I suppose. Australia comes across as a really cycle-friendly place...

I'm sure she'll be completely safe to drive in 9 months time and $4,500 lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....saw a good deal in a LBS. ... it's 40 grams....
    40g!! Perhaps that's why it was on offer. I've only ever seen 16g.

As a matter of interest (and I'm not trying to be cheeky) what brand is it and does it have instructions for use?

40g!! Perhaps that's why it was on offer. I've only ever seen 16g.

As a matter of interest (and I'm not trying to be cheeky) what brand is it and does it have instructions for use?

I think you might be right there WA. It is Genuine Innovations and the instructions are just pictures showing you how to use it (screw it into the thingy and then stick it down on the other thingy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Giggity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

doozerie wrote: »
    No, I don't know why:

303266.jpg

(Don't click here - down with this sort of thing).

Ehm, I would wear a lot of the kit listed there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

AdMMM wrote: »

The reason why I feel like an eejit on my bike is because I'm often left like Billy No Mates at the lights because everyone else just goes through them.

I'll be your stationery red light mate :pac: Hey we're the cool ones, those other guys suck :D ( I also heard they smell :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

lennymc wrote: »
    what if its triggers wheel, and had 7 new rims, and 3 new hubs

Replace the entire bike!

Raam wrote: »
    Ehm, I would wear a lot of the kit listed there.

tumblr_mcehscpNqP1rz5vojo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I just got my first cycling jersey delivered. To say my it makes my protruding belly the most noticeable aspect about me is putting it gently. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Wohoo, got my VO2max test results today. Threshold is up by 20W from 2 years ago. Power at VO2max is up by 45W and even O2 absorption numbers a bit better (25ml/min). VO2max itself has gone up to 64 from 60.9 but the biggest contribution to that is the smaller weight, down to 76kg from 79kg. And the body fat is also down to 10% from 15% two years ago.

I think this calls for a cake and beer and ice cream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Wohoo, got my VO2max test results today. Threshold is up by 20W from 2 years ago. Power at VO2max is up by 45W and even O2 absorption numbers a bit better (25ml/min). VO2max itself has gone up to 64 from 60.9 but the biggest contribution to that is the smaller weight, down to 76kg from 79kg. And the body fat is also down to 10% from 15% two years ago.

You're staying in Scratch for the rest of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I just got my first cycling jersey delivered. To say my it makes my protruding belly the most noticeable aspect about me is putting it gently. :o

Just say that the jersey has a built in fuel tank!!

One other interesting thing was that my HR at lactate threshold is now much lower. It used to be 182bpm but now it's 174bpm while at the same time the power output is higher. Does this mean that the cardio system is adapting faster than the energy production system (metabolism?)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Just got the electricity bill in. I think it'd be better for my pocket and my backside to hook the turbo trainer up to a genny...!

At least I'd have more motivation to get up on the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

OldBean wrote: »
    Just got the electricity bill in. I think it'd be better for my pocket and my backside to hook the turbo trainer up to a genny...!

At least I'd have more motivation to get up on the thing.

Just run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas.

I'm glad I haven't had a puncture the last few times I was out. It seems the bottom of my mini-pump has fallen out somewhere on a ride.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

were did you get this all done.

I noticed a noticable decrease in heart rate too when going through a more drastic change, max heart rate was down 10 beats.

manafana wrote: »
    were did you get this all done.

I noticed a noticable decrease in heart rate too when going through a more drastic change, max heart rate was down 10 beats.

It was part of a research programme in Trinity. Was a bit surprised by the LTHR drop myself. Will try to read up on it and see if I can make any sense of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

"DON'T FORGET TO CYCLE IN THE F*CKING CYCLE LANE"

There were three of us, strangers, at the lights and to a man, we all went down the bus lane.

• Advertisement

There were three of us, strangers, at the lights and to a man, we all went down the bus lane.

What did he say? Can't make out a word of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dropped the steed in for a service. The guy said he'd fit my clip in pedals too. Slow motion falling in my future.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/de-brabantse-pijl-la-fleche-brabanconne-2014/results

Warning - Brabantse Pijl spoilers. Worth reading the top comment underneath the article!

As well as a jersey (and hastily replaced mini-pump) I got a heart rate monitor today. I tried it out on my spin and did some napkin calculations and there's a pretty obvious reason why I've been going for about an hour and then stopping (apart from arriving home after an hour.) I've just been going too hard. It seems because I know the route and where I'm going I know how hard I can push for the hour and I do push for that hour. So basically I need to slow down, which might be a bit difficult because I like going fast (or as fast as I can manage with my heft and hybrid.)

Tomorrow I'm going to pedal slower and try adding a big chunk onto my distance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I'm fairly sure what he said was "DON'T FORGET TO CYCLE IN THE F*CKING CYCLE LANE!". What an outstanding citizen he is with little nuggets of precious information like that.

I'm fairly sure what he said was "DON'T FORGET TO CYCLE IN THE F*CKING CYCLE LANE!". What an outstanding citizen he is with little nuggets of precious information like that.

Nice guy. You'd think he'd be able to keep himself from randomly shouting profanity at people in the street while driving his commercial van, but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Some people are constantly upset, the craythurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Waiting patiently at the lights outside merrion shopping centre during rush hour earlier, couple of us in the cycle so no shoaling was possible, next thing this lad comes flying along the footpath missing an elderly lady by less than a foot and then joins back onto the cycle lane..

So myself and the cyclist behind catch up to him down the road and do the following..

Edit: we did this until we passed him, thanks Beasty, sorry for the confusion ;)

tF3KgQ3.gif

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    So myself and the cyclist behind catch up to him down the road and do the following..
    ... the pair of you must have got pretty bored after a while ...

• Advertisement

He was speaking Rantish, what he said loosely translates as: "I am AN ARSE. Yes. Me. Look at me, THE ANGRY ARSE! I lead a very unhappy life."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Edit: we did this until we passed him, thanks Beasty, sorry for the confusion ;)
    What on earth makes you think I may be confused:confused::confused:

Anyway, here's a little seasonal video for Everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

WgaZLnD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

was in rathmines monday stopped at the lights at st.marys when a young Asian gentleman (use term gentleman loosely) comes flying down my inside and plough past an old man who could barely believe he hadn't been knocked down.

Caught up with him quick enough and told him he nearly took out an old man, had remove his beats earphones to hear me then wanted to fight me :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

was in rathmines monday stopped at the lights at st.marys when a young Asian gentleman (use term gentleman loosely) comes flying down my inside and plough past an old man who could barely believe he hadn't been knocked down.

Caught up with him quick enough and told him he nearly took out an old man, had remove his beats earphones to hear me then wanted to fight me :D.

On a pricey looking MTB? I´ve seen a chronic footpath cycler with beats headphones all around that area.

Also, Rathmines seems to be a motor industry funded False flag operation to create the impression that cyclists behave like petulant children. It was just before the Swan centre that some late 20s child at heard jumped his MTB (saddle set way too low, I assume he was afraid of toppling and getting an oopsie) rather than slowing with traffic, bunny hopped onto the footpath, tore down it at maximum speed for about 10m and then ramped back off the the kerb into traffic without looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Waiting patiently at the lights outside merrion shopping centre during rush hour earlier, couple of us in the cycle so no shoaling was possible, next thing this lad comes flying along the footpath missing an elderly lady by less than a foot and then joins back onto the cycle lane..

That junction always has Footpad Jumpers in the morning. There's a portly gent on a green MTB who is always very anxious to show the general public his awesome skillz at close quarters.

As soon as we get back to open road he can't roll for s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone else using Schwalbe marathons on their commuter? Any idea how I can be sure they're on the way out? The pair on my bike have approaching 8,000km on them, and I think I can count on one finger the number of punctures I've had with them.
    But I have a spidey-sense when I'm riding that's telling me that they're not as grippy as they should be, even though I've had no slipping incidents.

Should I just listen to my gut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

seamus wrote: »
    I can count on one finger the number of punctures I've had with them.

I'm going to guess 1 :)

If there is no performance degredation then I would imagine they should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Anyone else using Schwalbe marathons on their commuter? Any idea how I can be sure they're on the way out? The pair on my bike have approaching 8,000km on them, and I think I can count on one finger the number of punctures I've had with them.
    But I have a spidey-sense when I'm riding that's telling me that they're not as grippy as they should be, even though I've had no slipping incidents.

I think the best solution is to get a new bike. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you can see the blue protective layer showing from under the black rubber, its time to replace them. I bet you will not see it until the next 8000km, though ;)

On a pricey looking MTB? I´ve seen a chronic footpath cycler with beats headphones all around that area.

Also, Rathmines seems to be a motor industry funded False flag operation to create the impression that cyclists behave like petulant children. It was just before the Swan centre that some late 20s child at heard jumped his MTB (saddle set way too low, I assume he was afraid of toppling and getting an oopsie) rather than slowing with traffic, bunny hopped onto the footpath, tore down it at maximum speed for about 10m and then ramped back off the the kerb into traffic without looking.

yeah that sounds like him, smallish enough lad, total ignorance, rathmines is a nightmare as it is without the careless cycling, the amount of cares parked in the evenings on the double yellows yet nothing seems to be done.

My late mother-in-law used to hit Rathmines pavement-cyclists with her umbrella. Don't know if it stopped any, but she got a certain satisfaction from it. And she wasn't a violent woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

My late mother-in-law used to hit Rathmines pavement-cyclists with her umbrella. Don't know if it stopped any, but she got a certain satisfaction from it. And she wasn't a violent woman.

Used to? Did she get done for assault that she stopped?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Used to? Did she get done for assault that she stopped?

well given she is no longer with us might be the hint

• Advertisement

Good detective work there, manafana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Crap. Sorry. I was blinded by the vigilantism and missed the "late".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've 18,000kms on a pair without puncturing. They are showing signs of heavy wear and have numerous cuts exposing the blue layer but just seem to keep on going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

furiousox wrote: »

I think you need coolin, and maybe back to schoolin cos I would have had you as more of a Madonna than a page or a plant. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement