Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RIP (from Breaking News)
    A cyclist was pronounced dead shortly before 2am this morning following a road accident in Co Galway yesterday evening.
    Gardaí are continuing to investigate the incident, which occurred at about 8.30pm yesterday on the Gort Road in Loughrea.
    A male cyclist, aged in his late 60s, was struck by a car close to pedestrian lights on the Gort Road.
    The offending vehicle drove away from the scene in the direction of Gort.
    The car is believed to have been a blue BMW with a partial registration of 01 G
    The injured taken to University College Hospital Galway where he was pronounced dead this morning.
    A post mortem examination will be held later today.
    The road at the scene of the crash is closed to facilitate a Garda Forensic Collision Examination of the area and is expected to remain closed for a number of hours.
    Gardaí at Loughrea Garda Station are appealing for witnesses to the incident to contact them at 091 842870.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it just me, or does it seems like at least half of all crashes involving cyclists these days are hit-and-runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

seamus wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does it seems like at least half of all crashes involving cyclists these days are hit-and-runs?

Well they're much more likely to get published if there's something scandalous.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well they're much more likely to get published if there's something scandalous.
    Agree - my accident was pretty serious but there was no mention anywhere except here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

the hit and run is disgraceful and should be punished far more than I have seen thats murder pretty much knocking someone down and leaving them to their own demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Its a horrible thing to do to someone. At that hour of the morning though the driver may have had drink on board and panicked. Doesn't excuse it at all mind but if your're drunk I reckon you're more likely to flee the scene.

Its a horrible thing to do to someone. At that hour of the morning though the driver may have had drink on board and panicked. Doesn't excuse it at all mind but if your're drunk I reckon you're more likely to flee the scene.

think you misread he died during the night but was knocked down around 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

manafana wrote: »
    think you misread he died during the night but was knocked down around 8pm

Ah cheers did misread it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo-facts.png

Anyone fancy a drink later...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That cartoon actually made me say aww out loud!

Stupid sexy sunny weather. Waay too hard to get work done. *looks wistfully out window*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^^ Its the spit of ye buffalo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

So I come home from a very hard race where I got dropped and to add insult to injury there is only Heineken in the fridge... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Hmmzis wrote: »
    So I come home from a very hard race where I got dropped and to add insult to injury there is only Heineken in the fridge... :mad:

Welcome to my world, except without Heinekin. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

If you got dropped than you don't deserve beer. Have the heino so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    If you got dropped than you don't deserve beer. Have the heino so!

It was a hard race! I deserve my beer! :pac:

I don't mind the dropping bit much, still got almost 20min of redlining training. The beer is a different story entirely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Yikes! It's always a bit more unsettling when the rider themselves utters something along the lines of "Uh-oh!" in the middle of some horribly scary manoeuvre:

Mad, mad, mad, descent, this place badly needs stairs

doozerie wrote: »
    Yikes! It's always a bit more unsettling when the rider themselves utters something along the lines of "Uh-oh!" in the middle of some horribly scary manoeuvre:

Mad, mad, mad, descent, this place badly needs stairs

insane start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/11/21/we-only-cycle-to-annoy-other-road-users-admits-cyclist/
    Mr. Power also admitted that he is part of a thousand strong cycling network who hold regular meetings to arrange the disruption of traffic.

“We’d meet every second week or so. Usually we’d organise an attack for a Sunday when most drivers are already hungover and agitated. The trick is to go in groups of two and have a good mile between each group.”

“Drivers would already start beeping and revving their engines by the time they get to the second group.”

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ah crap, busted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It was a hard race! I deserve my beer! :pac:

I don't mind the dropping bit much, still got almost 20min of redlining training.
    Thanks for dragging me round for those few laps of the Corkagh Park Sportive. I would have taken a turn only I couldn't be bothered. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    Stupid sexy sunny weather. Waay too hard to get work done. *looks wistfully out window*

Pedal-powered sewing machine and sit outdoors... ;)

I don’t think there is anything new in this, as such, but I found it an interesting read nonetheless: How to get fit in a few minutes a week
    At the end of the prescribed time, those who had completed three HIIT sessions per week had improved their endurance capacity by almost 11 percent. But those exercising daily displayed no such improvements and, in some, endurance declined. Only after those volunteers had quit training altogether did their aerobic capacity creep upward; after 12 days of rest, their endurance peaked at about 6 percent above what it had been at the start, suggesting, the researchers believe, that daily high-intensity interval sessions are too frequent and exhausting. In that situation, fatigue blunts physical adaptations.

The takeaway of both studies is that it is best, if you wish to perform high-intensity interval training, to stick to what is well documented as effective: a few sessions per week of 30- or 60-second intervals so strenuous you moan, followed by a minute or so of blessed recovery, and a painful repetition or four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ARGH, my UPC/Horizon is down and can't get technician till Monday. No live LBL for me :-(

Raam wrote: »
    ARGH, my UPC/Horizon is down and can't get technician till Monday. No live LBL for me :-(

You do know that I have a telly?

You do know that I have a telly?

Logistics won't permit it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not joking, but have you turned it off and on again? The Cisco box (not horizon) is quite temperamental, but does take a off on reset sometimes.

Idleater wrote: »
    Not joking, but have you turned it off and on again? The Cisco box (not horizon) is quite temperamental, but does take a off on reset sometimes.

Yep, a couple of times. Tried a new cable also. No dice.

Yep, a couple of times. Tried a new cable also. No dice.

Boo. Is the internet down too? (Yes I'm aware you are posting on the internet). I'm just curious, my hd box went on the blink and I managed to get it to display an error screen by powering it on with no cable or card in it.t gave me a hd failed message and as a result wouldn't display live TV or recorded.

Idleater wrote: »
    Boo. Is the internet down too? (Yes I'm aware you are posting on the internet). I'm just curious, my hd box went on the blink and I managed to get it to display an error screen by powering it on with no cable or card in it.t gave me a hd failed message and as a result wouldn't display live TV or recorded.

Aye, net down also. I'll leave it powered off overnight but I doubt it will make much difference. No faults reported in the area.

• Advertisement

Aye, net down also. I'll leave it powered off overnight but I doubt it will make much difference. No faults reported in the area.

Did you not report a fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

PM sent Raam.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Another stupid question... I did search...

But how is Fondriest rated? Good? Bad? Namely the 2013 TF3.

Anyone have any experience with it/them?

Did you not report a fault?

I did. No one else in the area has though so it would seem particular to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

I did. No one else in the area has though so it would seem particular to me :(

If you have the old wife box just plug that in. You can also always watch through horizon. Tv

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you have the old wife
    :eek:
    Anything but ....

(I'm referring to Raam's, not mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Looking at getting a new helmet after destroying the old one in a crash. I can pick up a propero II for £45 only problem is it's got blue stripes running down it. I've never been very good with colour coordination but I think it may look a bit daft with my red and black Sorrento gear. Should I just go for something a bit more expensive or just pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Beasty wrote: »
    :eek:
    Anything but ....

(I'm referring to Raam's, not mine)

Autocorrect messing with my posts.

WIFI box clearly.

If you have the old wife box just plug that in. You can also always watch through horizon. Tv

Only have the one wifi box, so no internet (well, apart from 3G) and no TV.

• Advertisement

Only have the one wifi box, so no internet (well, apart from 3G) and no TV.

Conversations it is for you so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Trying to figure out how to take the chainrings off of a cheap 90s MTB (Raleigh Amazon) chainset. I can't see any chainring bolts...

I can't see any chainring bolts...

some cheaper cranksets were riveted together I think

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Has anyone cycled from dingle to Scraggane ? fantasizing about doing a week on the bike when I finish up college. Starting near mallow going through killarney to kenmare and basically taking the costal route to cliften (then figure out how I get home :P). Two climbs cropping up on that road above the rest on the map. Be a tough week at 100k a day mostly sticking close to the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Peter T wrote: »
    Has anyone cycled from dingle to Scraggane ? fantasizing about doing a week on the bike when I finish up college. Starting near mallow going through killarney to kenmare and basically taking the costal route to cliften (then figure out how I get home :P). Two climbs cropping up on that road above the rest on the map. Be a tough week at 100k a day mostly sticking close to the coast

Do you mean Kenmare to Clifden (Galway) along the coast via Dingle ? Yeah Ive done it.

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »
    Do you mean Kenmare to Clifden (Galway) along the coast via Dingle ? Yeah Ive done it.

Yep thats the route. Looks like the road out of dingle heading towards castlegregory is a tough climb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Thats the Conor Pass. Not that tough tbh, out of Dingle towards Castlegregory is the easier side. If you're taking luggage, make sure you have some gears on the back - a 28 or 32t should be enough, it doesn't go above 10%.

Clare is hilly enough over the course of a day, but you should have the wind at your back on the way up ( or from the side, not in your face anyway)

I'll have to carry some luggage alright to get me through the week (Spare gear, washbag etc). Running a 11-28 cassette and 50-34 crank so I'm covered pretty well gearing wise. Plenty more research to do anyway. Thanks for the help.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    This looks interesting

It's certainly an interesting way of preventing someone from picking the lock, but I wonder how often people pick bike locks anyway? I would have thought that most thieves try to cut or break them open rather than spend time mucking about with picks.

I'm assuming that lock is expensive and I wonder whether you really end up with a "better" lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

doozerie wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting way of preventing someone from picking the lock, but I wonder how often people pick bike locks anyway? I would have thought that most thieves try to cut or break them open rather than spend time mucking about with picks.

I'm assuming that lock is expensive and I wonder whether you really end up with a "better" lock.

Maybe all of what you say is true. However, sometimes there is a place in the world for interesting design. A lot of thought has gone into the device - maybe that will bring benefits - ie the process of design as opposed to this acyually being a better lock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement