Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

ROK ON wrote: »
    Maybe all of what you say is true. However, sometimes there is a place in the world for interesting design. A lot of thought has gone into the device - maybe that will bring benefits - ie the process of design as opposed to this acyually being a better lock.

I wasn't criticising the design, I like innovative design in fact, but if you are designing something that you hope to sell in a competitive market then it really needs to be functional/practical as well as interesting/innovative/pretty. A new design of bike lock that costs more (I'm guessing) but is no more effective than existing bike locks at preventing theft (I'm guessing here too) is, in my view, a wasted opportunity and/or simply pointless.

I'd be happy to learn that this particular bike lock is less prone to brute force attacks than competing locks, that would make it a useful addition to the plethora of bike locks on the market, otherwise it's just another trinket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Saved by a Boardsie. LBL shall be watched from the comfort of my own couch. Some people are awesome :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting way of preventing someone from picking the lock, but I wonder how often people pick bike locks anyway? I would have thought that most thieves try to cut or break them open rather than spend time mucking about with picks.

I'm assuming that lock is expensive and I wonder whether you really end up with a "better" lock.
    Angle grinder FTW.

Also, the fact that the shackle doesn't completely detach would make it useless for the Sheldon method, which (I think) requires mating the two parts from either side of the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    Angle grinder FTW.

Also, the fact that the shackle doesn't completely detach would make it useless for the Sheldon method, which (I think) requires mating the two parts from either side of the wheel.

It should be possible to fit the lock body through either the triangle or the spokes (depending on spoke count).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just fitted a hubdoctor bearing to my mavic freehub body. we'll see if the bike falls apart tommorrow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

doozerie wrote: »
    I wasn't criticising the design, I like innovative design in fact, but if you are designing something that you hope to sell in a competitive market then it really needs to be functional/practical as well as interesting/innovative/pretty. A new design of bike lock that costs more (I'm guessing) but is no more effective than existing bike locks at preventing theft (I'm guessing here too) is, in my view, a wasted opportunity and/or simply pointless.

I'd be happy to learn that this particular bike lock is less prone to brute force attacks than competing locks, that would make it a useful addition to the plethora of bike locks on the market, otherwise it's just another trinket.

Hmmm... Something flashy but attractive, very expensive, nicely designed, but similar functionality available much cheaper elsewhere. In the bike market. Do Rapha make locks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raam wrote: »
    Saved by a Boardsie. LBL shall be watched from the comfort of my own couch. Some people are awesome :-)

tumblr_m6npgkom5m1qb3987o2_500.png

...and thank you again sir.;)

smacl wrote: »
    Hmmm... Something flashy but attractive, very expensive, nicely designed, but similar functionality available much cheaper elsewhere. In the bike market. Do Rapha make locks?

If Rapha made a bike lock, thieves would cut through everything, bike included, to liberate the lock. They'd take the bike away with them too, to make it look like the bike is what they were really after, but they'd chuck the bike away as soon as they were out of sight and they'd race home with their cherished new lock.

One simply can't be seen to desire Rapha, even when one is a thief, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

New rothar on the way from the UK. Lovely 1991 531 Peugeot pro. 105 throughout. Even comes with new pedals and cleats and the HPX threaten chasing dogs with :D

Sorry about the screen grabs, photos when I get it.

iEwWunh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So my nearly 70 year old dad just impulse bought his first road bike (Carrera Virtuoso). I have mixed feelings...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So my nearly 70 year old dad just impulse bought his first road bike (Carrera Virtuoso). I have mixed feelings...

Understandable. Obviously you'd rather he got the Boardman, but the bike to work can be difficult to wrangle once you're retired. On the plus side, he's less likely to totally thrash you on Strava on the Carrera. Swings and roundabouts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Cycling Ireland membership renewal page doesnt seem to be working for me, using Firefox browser. Ive had to put in all my details again and theres nowhere to click 'send' or 'ok'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

just fitted a hubdoctor bearing to my mavic freehub body. we'll see if the bike falls apart tommorrow

I did that with a couple of roaring mavic freehubs. Behaving beautifully since. I presume you replaced the bushes too?

smacl wrote: »
    Understandable. Obviously you'd rather he got the Boardman, but the bike to work can be difficult to wrangle once you're retired. On the plus side, he's less likely to totally thrash you on Strava on the Carrera. Swings and roundabouts ;)

Actually it's a Zelos...urgh, now I feel a whole other raft of feelings.

Unless it's a race to the bottom I don't feel too threatened on Strava....he's fit enough though, I felt a lot better when I thought he had the relatively nice Virtuoso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Cycling Ireland membership renewal page doesnt seem to be working for me, using Firefox browser. Ive had to put in all my details again and theres nowhere to click 'send' or 'ok'

Ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Is it still possible to unsubscribe & then re-subscribe to get the £5 voucher? Tried doing it but no sign of the voucher.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mugser wrote: »

It is indeed absolutely disgraceful. It is a counter sue situation - the driver is being sued by the family of the deceased for $900,000. That her lawyers or herself thought reasonable response was to sue the person and family of the young man she killed is worrying in the extreme. It can't go all the way to court surely? If it doesn't get thrown out It says something very worrying about human nature.

gadetra wrote: »
    It is indeed absolutely disgraceful. It is a counter sue situation - the driver is being sued by the family of the deceased for $900,000. That her lawyers or herself thought reasonable response was to sue the person and family of the young man she killed is worrying in the extreme. It can't go all the way to court surely? If it doesn't get thrown out It says something very worrying about human nature.

It gets even worse, if one of the comments on that page is correct, as apparently the husband of the driver is also suing. It's a horrible tale all in all, a mess of grief (presumably), guilt (maybe), and possibly greed, all played out via the formality of the legal system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus. So a woman, driving over the speed limit, kills a cyclist and seriously injures another, not only sues the deceased but her police husband who was driving behind her if I read it right also sues? What the fcuk? And she wasn't breathalysed for some reason at the scene... Oh for fcuks sake what is wrong with people? How can your family sueing the family of the child you killed (having ploughed into 3 cyclists whilst speeding) be a reasonable and responsible reaction, legal or otherwise? How broken does a legal system have to be for that to even be an option? It's sad that people can be so morally corrupt, self centered and insulated within themselves for this to come to pass. I would say a system better than the current one of relentlessly chasing capital needs to be found. But then again i would ;) But some people will always be dicks I suppose, and greed will always exist. Humans have officially broken. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Yes...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Yes...

I'm really disappointed they don't mention climbing statistics which, as every keen cyclist knows, adds to the smugness factor. So, I managed over 700m today. Put that in your smug pipe and smoke it Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Only, if you were revealing too much anatomical detail!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Only, if you were revealing too much anatomical detail!

My wobbly bits are getting wobblier I'm afraid!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

What's the verdict on latex tubes then?
    I fitted a pair last week, didn't know what to expect but I feel a very noticeable difference.
    Tyres are definitely rolling faster and smoother.
    I'm running 23mm Michelin Pro 4s, (already a good tyre) but they feel like Vittoria Open Corsas now. :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

furiousox wrote: »

Run them with veloflex :cool:

Quote from that article/rant:
    I have this thing called "an imagination", you see, which causes something else called a "boredom threshold" to kick in after so many minutes wasted on a tiresome, tedious and pointless activity.

He is clearly mistaking an over-developed moan gland with "an imagination", bless him. I can relate to the latter half of his sentence above though, my "boredom threshold" kicked in after his first paragraph.

The Indo really need a better class of moany eejit though, they seem to have had a surfeit of low grade one for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

How do you go about changing pedals on a bike? What tools do you need? Also, what's the cheapest non-crappy option for pedals and shoes?

Lyaiera wrote: »
    How do you go about changing pedals on a bike? What tools do you need? Also, what's the cheapest non-crappy option for pedals and shoes?

Pedal wrench...that's it really. Grease for the new threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Depends on your pedals, but most require a 15mm Spanner, this video shows you which way to turn them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0vhR7SgZU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Had the accidental pleasure of seeing everyone who did the Laurels "Galway to Dublin" cycle this weekend, arrive home into Clondalkin this evening.

There was a great crowd in Clondalkin to greet them.

Given that yesterday tested the most seasoned cyclists, fair play to anyone involved.

Idleater wrote: »
    Run them with veloflex :cool:

Reviews for veloflex are "mixed" on the interweb.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Possibility that you'll need a big allen key instead. Pedal spanner is handier though if you have the choice. Lob a generous amount of any lubricant on the threads of the pedals and the crank arm. There's no need to tighten them extremely tightly like mechanics do, pedals are self-tightening anyway. Tighten just past the point of resistance.

Are you thinking of getting SPDs or Road pedals? Here's some road options -

These shoes look like good value to me and there's loads of sizes. Not sure if the wide fit will suit you or not though. It is worth paying a bit more to get that rachet instead of just velcro straps. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-r088-road-spd-shoes-wide-fit-2014/rp-prod91469

These look fine, plenty of options around that price range though. Consider what colour matches your bike! - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wellgo-r096b-road-pedal-keo-compatible-/rp-prod110503

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I fitted a pair last week, didn't know what to expect but I feel a very noticeable difference.
    Tyres are definitely rolling faster and smoother.
    I'm running 23mm Michelin Pro 4s, (already a good tyre) but they feel like Vittoria Open Corsas now. :D

I have been running latex inners on a set of Vittoria Open Pave since last September. Just lovely. Had to replace rear tyre last week due to cuts and tyre wear - not one puncture in over seven months - in all sorts of sh1te weather.

Cant find Open Paves in any of my usual places so back to Contis - I expect that puncture season will begin shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

My front wheel/brake has all of sudden gone all jerky for some reason :| Doesn't seem to be damaged or have any debris etc on the rim, I flipped it to see if it fixed itself but nada..

Ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zyzz wrote: »
    My front wheel/brake has all of sudden gone all jerky for some reason :| Doesn't seem to be damaged or have any debris etc on the rim, I flipped it to see if it fixed itself but nada..

Ideas?

Cable moving freely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cable moving freely?

It's only when I pull on the front brake it jerks, not smooth like the rear one! Possibly be a worn out pad or something? :/

Ideas?

Hows the pad toe in?

pad_toe_line.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

I have been running latex inners on a set of Vittoria Open Pave since last September. Just lovely. Had to replace rear tyre last week due to cuts and tyre wear - not one puncture in over seven months - in all sorts of sh1te weather.

Cant find Open Paves in any of my usual places so back to Contis - I expect that puncture season will begin shortly.

conti 40000gp's are great for anything except inner city, best balance between weight and resistance for punctures

• Advertisement

It's only when I pull on the front brake it jerks, not smooth like the rear one! Possibly be a worn out pad or something? :/

Headset loose?
    Bit of grit embedded in the pad?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Check for egodirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Reviews for veloflex are "mixed" on the interweb.

Considering they are handmade vittoria open corsa, I can't think there'd be much to complain about.
    Perhaps that they are cheap dugasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

manafana wrote: »
    conti 40000gp's are great for anything except inner city, best balance between weight and resistance for punctures

Why are they not suitable for inner city?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why are they not suitable for inner city?

well their not as bomb proof as some other heavier tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

manafana wrote: »
    well their not as boom proof as some other heavier tyres

Bomb proof is over rated.
    A good tyre should feel great to ride on, have good grip particularly in poor conditions. Also it should be relatively easy to get on and off a rim.
    Bomb proof tyres have none of these IMHO.

Bomb proof is over rated.
    A good tyre should feel great to ride on, have good grip particularly in poor conditions. Also it should be relatively easy to get on and off a rim.
    Bomb proof tyres have none of these IMHO.

well gp4000 is all those things anyway

Quick question folks, I've been left to organise the courier from the UK for the new bike. I've found a company who've quoted me at a very reasonable price but I'm just wondering is it worth paying the extra for more than 50GPB insurance? There seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through if you've to ever claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I presume you are looking for the green ones? Certainly the ones with green down the centre are becoming harder to get but the newer version with the small strip are available.I know I saw them somewhere in my recent hunt for a new set. Will have to back thru my browsing history to find the shop.

• Advertisement

JUst listening to a bit on post office situation in Ireland and how its not becoming viable in a lot of areas to have the post office. What about mobile post offices 2 days a week or even 3 depending on the area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement