Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

bcmf wrote: »
    I presume you are looking for the green ones? Certainly the ones with green down the centre are becoming harder to get but the newer version with the small strip are available.I know I saw them somewhere in my recent hunt for a new set. Will have to back thru my browsing history to find the shop.

Wiggle have 'em.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-pave-cg-open-clincher-road-tyre/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Bikes, busses and peds living the good life in Addis Ababa. Beats Newlands X during a power outage any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIn8GJIg0E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I see there is a chap posting in the wonderful After Hours place by the name of Hell Ram. I wonder if it's Raam's evil twin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Never heard before, great tune :-)

Luka Bloom - The Acoustic Motorbike
    The day began with a rainbow in the sand
    As I cycled into Kerry
    Cattle grazing on a steep hillside
    Looked well fed, well balanced
    Close to the edge

Pedal on, pedal on, pedal on for miles
    Pedal on
    I work my legs
    I pump my thights
    Take in the scenery passing me by
    The Kerry mountains or the Wicklow hills
    The antidote to my emotional ills
    A motion built upon human toil
    Nuclear free needs no oil
    But it makes me hot, makes me hard
    I never thought I could have come this far
    Through miles of mountains, valleys, streams
    This is the right stuff filling my dreams
    So come on, get up on your bike
    Ah go on, get up on your bike

Pedal on
    Pedal on, pedal on, pedal on for miles
    Pedal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I see there is a chap posting in the wonderful After Hours place by the name of Hell Ram. I wonder if it's Raam's evil twin!

does he have a moustache? Evil twins always have a moustache

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    does he have a moustache? Evil twins always have a moustache

I couldn't see with all the zeros and ones in between my device and his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

bcmf wrote: »
    I presume you are looking for the green ones? Certainly the ones with green down the centre are becoming harder to get but the newer version with the small strip are available.I know I saw them somewhere in my recent hunt for a new set. Will have to back thru my browsing history to find the shop.

Bike24 and Cyclesuperstore have the newer clincher version and Planet X have the older tubular version.

My go-to tyre of choice. Great puncture resistance,grip and feel so much better than Conti 4000's and 4 seasons.

Still commute on Conti's though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Allen Keys & Patience - thumbs up from me today! :)

That it all,
    kerry4sam

lovely run at lunch time. Before people start chastising me for running, its for a good cause! [SHAMELESS PLUG]sponsor me here!!l[/SHAMELESS PLUG].

normality will be resumed later on, however, as I plan on having a lovely cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    [SHAMELESS PLUG]sponsor me here!!l[/SHAMELESS PLUG]

10k is not much of a cycle for someone of your stature?

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    10k is not much of a cycle for someone of your stature?

I'm doing it blindfolded.

This looks like fun.
    Charity cycle from Newtownhamilton on Sunday using some of the Giro route.

https://www.facebook.com/events/508905555885673/?ref=22

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Hi, I'm new here, don't stare too much :o

Just wondering how do you as a cyclist figure out things like where you're meant to be on the road when cycling around a city? I'm a semi regular cyclist around dublin, to and from work, and got beeped at today by a taxi driver, who then was so lovely as to shout at me. I can only guess it's because he considered me in his way,though there was nothing I could have done, I was just in traffic like him. I figure I should have been to the left most side, but the street is so bloody awkward to figure out, I was actually less bothersome (or so I thought) staying to the right. Sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new here, don't stare too much :o

Just wondering how do you as a cyclist figure out things like where you're meant to be on the road when cycling around a city? I'm a semi regular cyclist around dublin, to and from work, and got beeped at today by a taxi driver, who then was so lovely as to shout at me. I can only guess it's because he considered me in his way,though there was nothing I could have done, I was just in traffic like him. I figure I should have been to the left most side, but the street is so bloody awkward to figure out, I was actually less bothersome (or so I thought) staying to the right. Sigh

The rules of the road apply, the biggest difference being that you should keep to the left.

However don't hug the kerb, as a rule I stay on the boundary line of on road cycle lanes and take the centre at places where you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The rules of the taximan also apply, a quota of at least 20 illegal beeps and 5 roars a day or your licence is revoked, cabs must have no working indicators and hazard lights set to come on at least 5 hours a day.

Leeson St has what seems like two lanes before you get to st Stephen's Green, if I'm turning right I have to be in the right lane, but because the buses take up the bus lane them go into the left lane the cars are all trying to get into the left lane or right, and if you're left most in the right lane you're in the way of both ! Dunno if ye know where I'm talking about, if you're not in Dublin. I do stay left, but it seemed i would've been cutting off everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

rubadub wrote: »
    The rules of the taximan also apply, a quota of at least 20 illegal beeps and 5 roars a day or your licence is revoked, cabs must have no working indicators and hazard lights set to come on at least 5 hours a day.

Careful now, broad statements like that may get you banned since the latest forum charter change... Or is that only if your on about cyclists....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Leeson St has what seems like two lanes before you get to st Stephen's Green, if I'm turning right I have to be in the right lane, but because the buses take up the bus lane them go into the left lane the cars are all trying to get into the left lane or right, and if you're left most in the right lane you're in the way of both ! Dunno if ye know where I'm talking about, if you're not in Dublin. I do stay left, but it seemed i would've been cutting off everyone.

I know the one. I'd follow the lanes as indicated for normal traffic but keep slightly to the left of the lane I'm in, just left of centre.

Taxi drivers are generally ignoramuses to all other road users. I'd only pay heed to them as hazards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know the one. I'd follow the lanes as indicated for normal traffic but keep slightly to the left of the lane I'm in, just left of centre.
    The trick if going straight on is to filter at high speed between the two lanes of traffic and pick up the draft of whichever slab-sided vehicle is going straight on as it accelerates out of the junction :pac:

Taxi drivers are generally ignoramuses to all other road users. I'd only pay heed to them as hazards.

That's what I'd normally do, don't normally get beeped, but always feel like drivers see me as holding them up. I do my best not to. Then coming from Stephens green North, having to use that cycle lane, and trying to switch over to get into lane for the turn off of Dawson St, the whole city is just a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

That's what I'd normally do, don't normally get beeped, but always feel like drivers see me as holding them up. I do my best not to. Then coming from Stephens green North, having to use that cycle lane, and trying to switch over to get into lane for the turn off of Dawson St, the whole city is just a nightmare.

you have just as much right to the road as anyone, yes dont unduly hold oupeople up but if the safest thing is for you is to be in the middle of the lane thats were you should be.

Yeah I'll try to get comfortable. It's so stressful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I can't get the audio files to work, but here it is anyway... Name the Cyclist (A Pronunciation Guide):

http://www.speedmetalcycling.com/name-that-cyclist/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I can't get the audio files to work, but here it is anyway... Name the Cyclist (A Pronunciation Guide):

http://www.speedmetalcycling.com/name-that-cyclist/

Oh no, Rob Hatch would love that site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm always amazed by the car drivers who feel the need to beep and curse at me while going along the quays in Dublin at the Ha'penny bridge. They don't appear to realise it's a 30km area and I'm already doing at least that and I'm keeping up the flow of traffic. If they want to break the speed limit why don't they just use the other lane in their race to the red light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Holy moly. I would totally do that.

edit: oh, that. No, that's sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have a dillema. I am going to be buying a balance bike for a friends little boy, but the mother can be a bit overjealous in term of safety. I don't really see any point with helmets at this age.. but should I get one if that would make the bike actually usable?

I have a dillema. I am going to be buying a balance bike for a friends little boy, but the mother can be a bit overjealous in term of safety. I don't really see any point with helmets at this age.. but should I get one if that would make the bike actually usable?

Jealous of her little boy's balance bike? Strange lady.

you mean overzealous :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think it's good just to get one to normalise them. We had to fight with our daughter to get her to wear hers on her balance bike as she'd either have a hair band or clips in her hair that she didn't want to take off. Now on her 'big' bike she gets it herself, and gave out one day to me for bringing her out without it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you got in before the post that said
    I think it's a bad idea because it normalises them...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Indo's online quality control is not the greatest really...

305197.png

I don't really see any point with helmets at this age.. but should I get one if that would make the bike actually usable?
    I expect you can get helmets with cartoon characters etc on them, so if it had say spongebob on it he might not mind wearing it, but might actually be going out of his way to insist he wears it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I received an e-mail from www.thehut.com advising me that they are offering a discount which reduces by the hour, they call it a “Declining Discount”. The discount applies to sports nutrition products, which appear in the “Health” section of the website. Without a hint of irony the website manages to throw those words together to produce a label of “Health Declining Discount” on the range of (mostly) highly processed sugars available via this offer. :pac:

doozerie wrote: »
    Without a hint of irony the website manages to throw those words together
    I love the unfortunate wording of the tesco cheapo spirits

vodkasgastrgirls.png

13390518753_c1821f7860_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Ricco - will he end up dead or living on the streets ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-ricco-caught-buying-doping-products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Junior wrote: »

LOL

Is EPO addictive? What the **** was he buying it for? I know he was trying to break records and stuff but that's hardly worth getting arrested for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is EPO addictive? What the **** was he buying it for? I know he was trying to break records and stuff but that's hardly worth getting arrested for.

It's fair to say that in order to break EPO era records, one probably needs EPO, no?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Believe it or not, there's apparently a fair bit of doping going on in the Gran Fondo scene. Crazy I know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Junior wrote: »

Oh Ricco

facepalm-polarbear.jpg

Ayrton Senna died 20 years ago today.
    Bit of a JFK moment if you can remember it.

305288.jpg

CPL 593H

20 years already. where does the time go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Spotted this while waiting behind a stationary car in traffic this morning.

305293.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

See, this is why you need mudguards......

BmhFR-TIUAEaedQ.jpg:large

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd buy him a hacksaw first...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Serious amount of oil/diesel on the road. I stopped counting at 20 5k out the road. Little marble-y feicers make me windy since I took off on one. They are breeding prolifically at the minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Why you should always wait behind the white line...

87BS4j.gif

Jawgap wrote: »
    See, this is why you need mudguards......

BmhFR-TIUAEaedQ.jpg:large

I wonder, did his overshoes work?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement