Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Impulse spent my last 20 quid on a soft shell converter jacket/gilet from Aldi.

It feels much lighter and higher quality than any previous generations of Lidl/Aldi cycling jackets I've encountered, even better than the B'twin jackets I found in Decathlon in Portugal, also quite a nice cut...weakness, thy name is Cycling kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

The Softwheel - http://www.wired.com/2014/05/an-amazing-shock-absorbing-wheel-for-bikes-and-wheelchairs/?mbid=social_fb

How long before we see someone wanting to try it at Roubaix or an A4 Race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm wary of the responsiveness of the design. Probably great at slower speeds, so wheelchairs and BMXes. But I'd imagine at higher speeds (> 25km/h) the responsiveness would be lost and the rotational forces could perhaps even destabilise the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

^ this, plus rolling resistance from hell. The energy wasted at keeping these shocks working with every revolution just under your weight must be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

One for the diary, Tour of Louth confirmed for 1/6/14.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

In case anyone missed it from the Orwell thread.. :pac:

IMG_2409-ERASER.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Looks pretty serious. Was he ok after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing with my hand in that photo - I thought I was wiping my glasses clean, but now I realise I'm holding on to my head in case the same thing happens to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's a Roadside Picnic type anomaly :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing with my hand in that photo - I thought I was wiping my glasses clean, but now I realise I'm holding on to my head in case the same thing happens to me!

Ah, thought it was yourself with most of middle finger up nostril freeing a booger.

• Advertisement

Ah, thought it was yourself with most of middle finger up nostril freeing a booger.

And getting it ready for presentation to the camera? :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The torsoless man has a great race face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anybody here know anything about Casati bikes?

While wandering around Canary Island village came across one, a little uncared for paint wise but lovely looking bike.

Full dura ace groupset and dura ace open pro wheelset. Down tube shifters.

No idea of tubing, didn't want to look like I was thinking of stealing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It's good to see the Wicklow hills from the perspective of non-locals. Despite the weather outside the window, those photos make me want to hop on my bike and head south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

doozerie wrote: »
    It's good to see the Wicklow hills from the perspective of non-locals. Despite the weather outside the window, those photos make me want to hop on my bike and head south.

They should have started with Stocking lane or Edmondstown road instead of driving all the way up to Viewing Point, would have opened the legs even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

The photos are lovely.

To truly capture the essence of cycling in Wicklow they should have gone up the Wall in the rain a few times, slogged over to Laragh for an overpriced coffee and a telling off for daring to eat your own Cereal Bar and then cycled home in a rush to get another telling off for being late.

I may be behind on my coffee intake today.

slogged over to Laragh for an overpriced coffee and a telling off for daring to eat your own Cereal Bar

Seriously? Last time a friend of mine pulled a large piece of cake from his ortlieb, indoors... We ordered a coffee and some snacks before, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I ain't sayin' nuttin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets

Where do you all stand on the wearing of helmets? Been meaning to look into the stats of it for a while, but this just came up in my twitter feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »

"IN SEARCH OF IRELAND'S BEST RIDES"

Should have gone to Coppers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Does anyone buy any of those Strava challenge jerseys? Some of them don't look half bad but dunno if I'm that keen on wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just nearly fainted from the hunger there, I think I now understand why my legs told me so comprehensively to go fnck myself in the last 2km of that race tonight.

A scone and a bag of crisps at 4pm are not race fuel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »

One thing that you weren't doing was marshaling your own event!

Lumen wrote: »

Still wouldn't have found them there!

Lumen wrote: »

That would have been "In search of Ireland's most exotic STDs"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    Just nearly fainted from the hunger there, I think I now understand why my legs told me so comprehensively to go fnck myself in the last 2km of that race tonight.

A scone and a bag of crisps at 4pm are not race fuel....

LOL.

"Shut up legs".
    "Go f**k yourself".

Summer is officially here! Just boarded a bus (No 14) that's full to the brim with spanish speaking teenagers. Short sleeves and shorts all the way from now on.

Just boarded a bus

So we need the summer wimp list thread now.

Alek wrote: »
    So we need the summer wimp list thread now.

Does an excuse of going to the pub the night before and leaving the bike at work count? :pac:

• Advertisement

So you went to have fun with mates, leaving your auld trusty bike in a dangerous place overnight, exposed to elements, trembling in fear of being stolen? Shame on you.

Alek wrote: »
    So you went to have fun with mates, leaving your auld trusty bike in a dangerous place overnight, exposed to elements, trembling in fear of being stolen? Shame on you.

We actually have a rather nice place at the office for bikes. It's under a roof and high walls all around with 24h security. Yet have to see anyone using a bike lock there.

All set to head out for a spin in 20 mins in short sleeves and shorts....thinking of adding knee and arm weathers by the view out the window.

Yet have to see anyone using a bike lock there.

Fair enough! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Romano on RTE 1's Nationwide tonight.
    ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Not sure who's following it but:

Colin Lynch has won gold in Men's C2 TT

Katie-George Dunlevy and Eve McCrystal won bronze in Women's B Tandem

at the Paracycling World cup

Picked up a luggage scales in Lidl yesterday and immediately used it to weigh my Tifosi.

10kg even with Aksiums and no lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Broke my collar bone yesterday on a bmx. Go me :rolleyes:

Hmmzis wrote: »
    We actually have a rather nice place at the office for bikes. It's under a roof and high walls all around with 24h security. Yet have to see anyone using a bike lock there.

*Have yet to see...

You're welcome!

Would it be sane for someone to commute 25km each way from Meath into Dublin CC on a 7 Speed Hub geared bike like a Creme Cafe Racer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Would it be sane for someone to commute 25km each way from Meath into Dublin CC on a 7 Speed Hub geared bike like a Creme Cafe Racer?

Yes, but it'd be a shame to pass up a good excuse to buy another bike ya know...

Yes, but it'd be a shame to pass up a good excuse to buy another bike ya know...

A non sports cycling friend's BTW scheme is about to come up again and he doesn't really like the complexity (?) of operating his original hybrid, ergo he's quite keen on hub gears. And being a vintage car buff, he's gravitating towards the Cafe Racer style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

l ergo he's quite keen on hub gears.

I commute on a 2 speed sram automatix (albeit 15km each way) but hub gears are great.

In fact my current investigations for another bike involve a gates carbon drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Just realised Ill be losing a KOM tmrw on the Quays..

pTFFihV.gif

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    Just realised Ill be losing a KOM tmrw on the Quays..
    You think that warrants a gif:confused::confused:

I've got 7 on the line ....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Cycle against suicide nearly in Drogheda!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    One thing that you weren't doing was marshaling your own event!

Nope, I supported it instead. If I counted up the hours I devoted to the club every week, I'd probably get fired from my actual job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Changing from a double to a triple - Apart from a new FD and crankset, and not including the shifters (Downtube shifters for the time being), is there anything I'm forgetting? I'm assuming the RD won't need changing or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

OldBean wrote: »
    Changing from a double to a triple - Apart from a new FD and crankset, and not including the shifters (Downtube shifters for the time being), is there anything I'm forgetting? I'm assuming the RD won't need changing or?

Does the crankset include a longer bottom bracket. The difference is only a couple of mm but it may matter.

You'll likely need a medium cage RD as the short cage that came with the double may not cope with the triple.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement