Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Some great videos coming off this youtube channel at the moment, on-board race videos.

I've often thought about putting my camera on the bike facing back like that, but then I remembered I get dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Tim Moore's account of riding the course of the 1914 Giro d'Italia in on BBC Radio 4 at the moment.
    Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy

It makes modern audax look like something for wimps!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

James Huang on why carbon clinchers and descents are often a risky combo.
    While there had been talk about establishing a standard test for carbon clincher rims, there were too many dissenting opinions (and too many disparate business interests) to form any sort of consensus. Some companies are confident they could pass whatever test is written while others hold the opinion that carbon clinchers shouldn't exist in the first place. Yet others are flat-out opposed even to the idea as it would instantly put them out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I brought my Reynolds Assaults clinchers to Sierra Nevada in Spain and I never batted an eyelid about heat dissipation. The roads there just aren't steep and twisty enough to get into any trouble. I wouldn't be bringing them to the Alps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Some great videos coming off this youtube channel at the moment, on-board race videos.

That right there is how you increase your TV audience, start putting up footage like that and you'll get more people hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

jinkypolly wrote: »
    That right there is how you increase your TV audience, start putting up footage like that and you'll get more people hooked.

Yeah Shimano really picked a winner on this one, I'd love if they could bring them out for the TDF and Classics too. There's probably some rights issues but it's great that on-board video is starting to make an appearance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

An entire crit from Robbie McEwan's bike in 2012. You can hear him barking the orders on the final lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Great idea: Sunday festivals to be held in Dublin City centre this summer
    Streets will be pedestrianised and used for market stalls as well as performance areas for musical and theatre acts. The events will allow the council to test the feasibility of pedestrianisation in the city’s shopping areas.

Sadly though, it seems like cycling is still not seen as a viable/accepted means of travelling to and from the city centre:
    Access to car parks will be maintained on the day, though those attending will be encouraged to use Luas, buses and Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Interesting documentary on setanta now about a kenyancycling team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If a tube pops in a shed and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

57XyGf.jpg

Don't know what caused that. Got caught in the rain coming back from doing a few laps of Howth yesterday, maybe the tube didn't like going from cold rain to warm shed? Glad I wasn't coming down from the summit when it happened :eek:

My poor GP4000s was only a year old :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

Quick question, which is the easier climb to the viewpoint for the novice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Stocking lane is a consistent gradient for the entire 5k from the turn off at the bottom - it's tough but when you get a tempo going it's very manageable.

Cruagh starts out easy then has about 1.5k that is very very hard followed by 2k that is relatively handy.

Try both and see what you prefer. I used to prefer Cruagh mow I prefer Stocking Lane.

If a tube pops in a shed and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

57XyGf.jpg

Don't know what caused that. Got caught in the rain coming back from doing a few laps of Howth yesterday, maybe the tube didn't like going from cold rain to warm shed? Glad I wasn't coming down from the summit when it happened :eek:

My poor GP4000s was only a year old :(

Did you pull a skid at any point? I ruined a GP4000S doing just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I 've ruined a gp4000s by skidding as well few years back. Coincidentally I was in howth.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Stocking lane is a consistent gradient for the entire 5k from the turn off at the bottom - it's tough but when you get a tempo going it's very manageable.

Cruagh starts out easy then has about 1.5k that is very very hard followed by 2k that is relatively handy.

Try both and see what you prefer. I used to prefer Cruagh mow I prefer Stocking Lane.

That's great, thanks for that. Sounds like I should stick to Stocking Lane and try Cruagh when I can get up Stocking Lane without too much bother. Have tried Stocking Lane twice and had to stop very close to the top both times for a quick breather, just had nothing left in my legs!

That last 2k or so up the viewpoint is brutal, there is just no let up in the gradient! Ah well, must try harder! More miles needed I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BadTeacher wrote: »
    That last 2k or so up the viewpoint is brutal, there is just no let up in the gradient! Ah well, must try harder! More miles needed I think..
    Just pick your easiest gear and pedal slowly.

Lumen wrote: »
    Just pick your easiest gear and pedal slowly.

I was in the easiest gear! Although I was trying to keep a reasonably high cadence. Any thoughts on cadence for the climb?

BTW my bike has a compact (50-34T) on the front and 11-28T cassette. There's no excuse why I should find that climb difficult with that gearing setup is there? (I pretty sure the answer is no and the problem is the engine!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BadTeacher wrote: »
    I was in the easiest gear! Although I was trying to keep a reasonably high cadence. Any thoughts on cadence for the climb?
    I normally aim for 80. If you've picked your easiest gear, using a lower cadence in that gear will reduce your power requirement.

Imagine climbing stairs, where you have only one gear. If you want to get up without stopping, you'd just move your legs a bit slower.

Lumen wrote: »
    I normally aim for 80. If you've picked your easiest gear, using a lower cadence in that gear will reduce your power requirement.

Imagine climbing stairs, where you have only one gear. If you want to get up without stopping, you'd just move your legs a bit slower.

Ok thanks will try that the next time I have a crack at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Raam wrote: »
    Did you pull a skid at any point? I ruined a GP4000S doing just that.
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    I 've ruined a gp4000s by skidding as well few years back. Coincidentally I was in howth.
    Could've been that. I nearly fell because of some wet moss on the last corner. Managed to unclip in time and save myself, but not the tyre it seems!

Are GP4000s still considered good, or has something new and better come along in the last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From YLYL, you can see it coming a mile away but you can't look away

1399917415_changing_on_bike_fail.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »

stocking is less consistent in my view, has more flat spots and that one really step ramp that cruagh doesn't have. I believe stocking lane is slightly shorter, do both and keep going after vieiwng point another 150m of climbing to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If an 8 ton Orca can jump 20ft in the air, then we can all climb Stocking Lane.

lzlAIT8.jpg

BnnZdAkIAAAcJED.jpg:large

BnnZdAkIAAAcJED.jpg:large

I'm not sure what is most distressing about those pictures. The inappropriate shoes for cycling, the badly fitting "helmet", the inappropriate cycling shorts, the worried look on "Dan"'s face, or the sinister expression on the face of the squatting panda? It's a tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^^ is it not Kittel with the Danda taking a selfie?

lennymc wrote: »
    ^^^^ is it not Kittel with the Danda taking a selfie?

Ah, you're probably right. I'm not up with the times at all. I clearly have a lot of outrage to catch up on.

Not sure who it's meant to be but that mascot head bears a serious resemblance to Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lucky I wasn't there, I might have have punched that panda. Disgraceful, and disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Not sure who it's meant to be but that mascot head bears a serious resemblance to Dan.

They're mascots for the cycle4life charity which collects money for Temple Street childrens hospital. Dan Martin is involved.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    They're mascots for the cycle4life charity which collects money for Temple Street childrens hospital. Dan Martin is involved.

New life goal - have a mascot costume made that looks like me :(

Bit late now, but here's a list of cycling terms in Irish:

http://www.focal.ie/pdf/14.05.06_giro_ditalia.pdf

There's at least one mistake in it though, clogad is the word for helmet, not clogad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Anybody know what the cycle is going past Balrothery/Balbriggan now? Approx 30 in it with support vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

That was just me running a little late on the commute. Gonna have to fire that lead out team...

This is an entertaining listen: Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy
    It is twelve years since Tim Moore, the ultimate amateur, slogged around the route of the Tour de France. At forty-eight years old, and distraught by those riders who are despoiling the heroic image of cycling, he decides it's time to reacquaint his feet with cleats and show these soft modern-day cyclists what a real challenge is.

A brief internet search later, he discovers the 1914 Giro d'Italia, the hardest bike race in history. Eighty-one riders started and only eight finished, after enduring cataclysmic storms, roads strewn with nails and even the loss of an eye by one competitor.

Undeterred, Tim sets off to cycle all 3,200km of it. For authenticity, he decides to do it on a 100-year-old bike, which, unburdened by relevant experience, he opts to build himself. Wearing period leather goggles, a woollen jersey, and with an account of the 1914 Giro as his trusty companion, Tim sets off to tell the story of this historic race, as well as the travails of a middle-aged man cycling up a lot of large mountains on a mainly wooden bicycle.

The CI calendar seems to have changed re Mondello races. I saved the original calendar which had one for last Tuesday, but it changed and wasn't listed when I checked Monday. Another also seems to have disappeared. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

The CI calendar seems to have changed re Mondello races. I saved the original calendar which had one for last Tuesday, but it changed and wasn't listed when I checked Monday. Another also seems to have disappeared. Anyone know why?

Last Tuesday's was cancelled - there was some notices floating around the TwitBooks. Nice of them to update the calendar, even if it wouldn't have been seen by many at short notice.

buffalo wrote: »
    Last Tuesday's was cancelled - there was some notices floating around the TwitBooks. Nice of them to update the calendar, even if it wouldn't have been seen by many at short notice.

Do you know why?

Yes, in fairness, deleting it from the calendar makes sense as you can double check before heading out, which is what happened I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

detones wrote: »
    Anybody know what the cycle is going past Balrothery/Balbriggan now? Approx 30 in it with support vehicles.

Garda blood donation drive cycle thing. Saw them myself and gave them a beep and a wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Do you know why?

Yes, in fairness, deleting it from the calendar makes sense as you can double check before heading out, which is what happened I guess.

Double booking of the track apparently. What other date is gone?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90366335&postcount=9

Ryath wrote: »
    Double booking of the track apparently. What other date is gone?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90366335&postcount=9

Next weeks I thought? Or the 27th, sorry don't have it to hand at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Random thought that just occurred to me..

I got a new chain a while back and at the time it was set up for a compact. I then upgraded to a standard but the exact same chain is on the bike. If I buy a new chain or add some more links to the original will that have an impact at all?

Long-shot, but does anyone remember a funny video on youtube called Nils on Wheels? An Irish guy putting on a Dutch accent and cycling up Howth Head? I can't find it, I thought it was brilliant. If anyone had a link I'd appreciate!

Zyzz wrote: »
    Random thought that just occurred to me..

I got a new chain a while back and at the time it was set up for a compact. I then upgraded to a standard but the exact same chain is on the bike. If I buy a new chain or add some more links to the original will that have an impact at all?

Does everything shift OK with the current chain using the standard double? If so, I would retain that same length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Get In There

Anyone know where I can get silicone gripper strips to sow onto my jersey which keeps riding up on my back. Cheers.

Anyone know where I can get silicone gripper strips to sow onto my jersey which keeps riding up on my back. Cheers.

How far up your back is it riding? If you wear bib-shorts then it might not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Any sewing shop or online retailer I'd guess would be the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Very difficult thing to replace. Unless you're gonna hand sew it, you need a teflon foot for your machine. They're put with heat, so you can't replace it as such. You can buy good hold-ups, cut the gripper off, and sew that on but it won't last, they never do :rolleyes: It might prolong the grippy life of your jersey. When sewing it on, don't go with a running stitch, zig zag it because it has to stretch and move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement