Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

gadetra wrote: »
    Why you would even need a dryer when you have a bus with awning is beyond me. Pure decadence!
    Milan-San Remo last year, a lot of kit needed drying quickly. Even hair dryers were used to dry out shoes in the short time they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A friend and I had plans to convert an older CIE bus, one of the really big ones to a home and had enough space to store an MG Sprite underneath. However, it never came to be, though I'm kinda of glad not be living like a Levellers fan.

Used to know someone who lived in a bus he'd converted, moving it from place to place in the Dublin Mountains and Wicklow Hills. A nice bedsitter-ish size, but he said it was cold in winter; he ran a heater powered by the engine sometimes, but was planning to insulate it last time I talked to him (about 1978).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Used to know someone who lived in a bus he'd converted, moving it from place to place in the Dublin Mountains and Wicklow Hills. A nice bedsitter-ish size, but he said it was cold in winter; he ran a heater powered by the engine sometimes, but was planning to insulate it last time I talked to him (about 1978).

I've seen a few running stoves with chimneys through the roof, but they're a bit messy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I know someone who lives in a transit. It's tight but it works.
    My dream abode is 3 or 4 shipping containers put together, saw windows and doors and roof lights out, shyte load of kingspan or straw bales, clad or render it and you're away. One container for a kitchen, one bedroom/ensuite one living room. Perfect! And extensions would be really easy. You could even go up a couple of stories handy enough if you had to. Some day...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1609971_773392692685831_7056049375489559715_n.jpg
    10311344_773392666019167_7098257769571799002_n.jpg
    10325798_773392429352524_1914446985207376784_n.jpg
    1535036_773392409352526_7882409428345996872_n.jpg
    10401509_773392489352518_6861717106926952443_n.jpg
    10173801_773392539352513_4237981275851041655_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Poor lad, at least he fell on the grass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Poor chap; it's like a one man reenactment of Titanic in 5 seconds.

"I'm king of the world!" ... "Iceberg! Dead ahead!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

8wl3z.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Jesus, that spread through the webz like wildfire.

• Advertisement

I think the main thing about riding no-hands is that you get stability by unweighting the front end.

If you get a wobble you can't fix by weight shifting you have to get a hand on the bars quickly without moving too much weight forward - reach don't lean! Otherwise ^^ that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I had the unpleasant experience of a discussion with Garda who was unaware of the change in legislation with regards to mandatory cycle lanes today.

Doing my best to be polite and calm (and resisting the urge to just sheepishly go off road) I explained that the law had been changed and that it would not be safe for me to travel on what was effectively a painted footpath at my typical 28-30kish speed (on my loaded up commutourer) and I had appointments to reach for work.

To be fair he did consider the possibility that the law had changed but then confronted me with the alternate reality where I was holding up traffic and cutting lanes and said I'd better double check if the law had changed.

As a result I had to take a 15 minute detour so I wouldn't have the uncomfortable experience of repeatedly overtaking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I had the unpleasant experience of a discussion with Garda who was unaware of the change in legislation with regards to mandatory cycle lanes today.

Doing my best to be polite and calm (and resisting the urge to just sheepishly go off road) I explained that the law had been changed and that it would not be safe for me to travel on what was effectively a painted footpath at my typical 28-30kish speed (on my loaded up commutourer) and I had appointments to reach for work.

To be fair he did consider the possibility that the law had changed but then confronted me with the alternate reality where I was holding up traffic and cutting lanes and said I'd better double check if the law had changed.

As a result I had to take a 15 minute detour so I wouldn't have the uncomfortable experience of repeatedly overtaking him.

Why do you need to double check it? He's Johnny Law. It's his job. Not yours.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why do you need to double check it? He's Johnny Law. It's his job. Not yours.

I don't plan to.

His words not mine.

I don't plan to.

His words not mine.

I know that. That would have been my response to him if he had suggested it to me. I'd then have followed up with a "Stuff is legal by default" ala Lumen!

Went to an exhibition last night, called Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. It's a grammatically correct sentence: "…constructed using variations of meaning indicated by the word 'buffalo'. Here buffalo is used as a noun, place name and verb (meaning:to bully). Who knew?!

Rollinscone that would make my teeth itchy. Wtf? So you have to go look up the law for them? Grumble grumble grumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I thought the guards were only allowed use the bus lane if they were on a call/emergency? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Zyzz wrote: »
    I thought the guards were only allowed use the bus lane if they were on a call/emergency? Am I wrong?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

gadetra wrote: »
    Who knew?!

buffalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Lumen wrote: »
    I think the main thing about riding no-hands is that you get stability by unweighting the front end.

If you get a wobble you can't fix by weight shifting you have to get a hand on the bars quickly without moving too much weight forward - reach don't lean! Otherwise ^^ that happens.

As someone who has learning to ride hands-free on his to-do list, this was valuable information!

quozl wrote: »
    As someone who has learning to ride hands-free on his to-do list, this was valuable information!
    The other tip is to do it at high speed and in a high gear.

I once demonstrated no hands to the kids whilst pottering around at 10kph in the Phoenix Park and promptly fell on my face. "Daddy, you said you didn't need to wear a helmet because you're really good but now all your blood is coming out". FAIL.

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »

CTC experts told me many years ago that the secret to cycling hands-free is imagining that you have a huge, heavy arse. This imaginary arse, they said, moves the centre of gravity down and you get good balance. It worked.

Where's the bicycle parking in Heuston Station, please, if anyone knows?

"Daddy, you said you didn't need to wear a helmet because you're really good.

Excellent parenting. FAIL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Where's the bicycle parking in Heuston Station, please, if anyone knows?

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/dublin-heuston

Bikes: Sheltered bike parking available in the car park

Car park is sign posted

Thanks, blobble. Can you give me a rough idea of where it'll be? My sight isn't the best even in full daylight, and this'll be early.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Excellent parenting. FAIL!!!
    That's where you're wrong. My kids now have the image of my torn and bleeding skin permanently burned into their consciousness alongside "no helmet".

They have a bright future in the RSA.

Thanks, blobble. Can you give me a rough idea of where it'll be? My sight isn't the best even in full daylight, and this'll be early.

The car park is on the right hand side of Heuston, the Liffey side. Haven't use the bike storage myself so not exactly sure of the precise location within the car park.

Thanks, blobble, that's great; I'll find it.

Thanks, blobble, that's great; I'll find it.

Probably one of these sheds https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3467815,-6.2973215,76m/data=!3m1!1e3

blobbie wrote: »

I was looking at these ok, just wondering should I try to cycle in from Conyngham Road (leading up to Parkgate) or from the front face of the station. From what you say, it sounds like Conyngham Road.

• Advertisement

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭slideshow bob

it sounds like Conyngham Road.
    No, not this.
    from the front face of the station.
    Yes this.

Stay right beside Liffey on south side, passing the main Heuston building on the left. Go to the back of the station towards the car park. The bike park is just on your left as you get to the car park entrance, past the building with the weird looking roof on that satellite photo. There' some covered and some uncovered bike stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Qualitymark - read into this what you will but you won't see any "good" bikes parked at Heuston Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

guy in a race last year did that - sprinted for the line a lap early, went over with the arms in the air, delighted with himself. Was quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

lennymc wrote: »
    guy in a race last year did that - sprinted for the line a lap early, went over with the arms in the air, delighted with himself. Was quite funny.

His face was priceless..

Qualitymark - read into this what you will but you won't see any "good" bikes parked at Heuston Station.

Well, my bike isn't exactly fantastic! In any case, short of levitating down the quays, can't see any other way of getting there! Though I could drive; the car is even less burglar-friendly. What's the price for parking?

Oh, looked it up, €3. Hmmmm… you interest me strangely!

Actually, €8. Really, their website is incredibly unclear. And when you prepay to book by text, it says you're not guaranteed a car parking space. In**ingcredible.

Well, my bike isn't exactly fantastic! In any case, short of levitating down the quays, can't see any other way of getting there! Though I could drive; the car is even less burglar-friendly. What's the price for parking?

Oh, looked it up, €3. Hmmmm… you interest me strangely!

I got my bike impounded once for parking it in front of the station. I discovered this after getting of a Cork train at half eleven at night in the pissing rain. Had no money to get it back. 2 hour walk home. Only park where it is bike specific! There is a covered bike park to the right of the station, the side where platforms 6, 7 and 8 are and out the back of the station on the south side of the liffey. Lock it up well!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

This could be an interesting approach.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

(apologies if this has appeared here before!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

tacklemore wrote: »
    This could be an interesting approach.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

(apologies if this has appeared here before!)

I knew even before I clicked it, it was gonna be Casey Neistat cycling into everything he can find..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just crossed the 1,500km mark since Feb in the last few days. And that's purely commuting! Thus far I've only had 1 puncture (On my first journey!) cycling from Rathfarnham to Clontarf every day. Here's hoping I haven't jinxed myself!

^^^^ puncture city up ahead :)

Ill leave out a few track pumps on your route now so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lennymc wrote: »
    ^^^^ puncture city up ahead :)

They always come in 3's...

rubadub wrote: »
    They always come in 3's...

I've had them in cosmic carbones too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

now all :eek::eek::eek::eek: your blood is coming out".

Love the ways kids describe things - glad to see you survived :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where did this happen? Sounds very very familiar to an incident I had a couple of months ago (big thread about it back then).

godtabh wrote: »
    Where did this happen? Sounds very very familiar to an incident I had a couple of months ago (big thread about it back then).

Terenure, just passing the college heading in Tallaght direction

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mine happened along the N11. Pulled in by a lad on a motor bike

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kimmage at his best:
    My father always insisted it was the hardest sport in the world but it wasn't until my first bad crash that the penny began to drop. The left side of my body was scorched from head to toe but I was tough. I could handle it. The real test, two days later, was when it happened again.

It almost looks like fun. But show me a racer, and I'll show you a man who will spend the rest of his life jumping from his bed in the middle of the night because he has just touched a wheel. The fear never leaves you. It haunts all our dreams.

:( Just remembered I have to get into wet cycling gear.
    :) Just remembered I have to cycle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement