Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wimp list for Kimmage ......

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just crossed the 1,500km mark since Feb in the last few days. And that's purely commuting! Thus far I've only had 1 puncture (On my first journey!) cycling from Rathfarnham to Clontarf every day. Here's hoping I haven't jinxed myself!
    lennymc wrote: »
    ^^^^ puncture city up ahead :)

I actually came out to the bike and found my rear tire completely flat...I'm going to take a wild guess and say you had something to do with it!

Turns out that the dust cap had loosened the valve and let air out, so made it home! But still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I actually came out to the bike and found my rear tire completely flat...I'm going to take a wild guess and say you had something to do with it!

Turns out that the dust cap had loosened the valve and let air out, so made it home! But still!

How does the dust cap manage to do such an evil thing?

Edit: I'm not messing. I really can't understand how it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks for the help on Heuston; I'd never have found the parking without you lads. Cunningly concealed; I did a sneaky Uey when heading the wrong way and made it into the right place.
    As I staggered back to the car after a looong day away tonight I looked in at the bikes in the bike park there. By my standards, these are grand bicycles. So I could probably have cycled; glad I didn't because I was pretty shattered by 21:30 after a day of trains and documents.
    But dja know what baffles me? I can't understand why we don't use the Japanese system of bicycle parking. They have long two-storey bicycle racks outside every suburban train station. Perhaps 100m long. If you're parking your bicycle on the second storey you swing the rack down, lock your bike to it and swing it back up.
    You pay a small fee, or buy a monthly ticket, and the fee goes to pay for maintenance, and also pays for the guy who sits in a cabin at the end and minds the bicycles. Someone (or probably sometwo, since the hours are long) gets a job, and the bikes are kept safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

@ AstraMonti Empty your inbox dude. Can't reply to your pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oops, done :)

What did it say? We need to know now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How does the dust cap manage to do such an evil thing?

Edit: I'm not messing. I really can't understand how it happens.
    I don't understand it either. If the valve is screwed closed, how will the dust cap release air?

(...unless some replace the dust cap without closing the valve? :confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

What did it say? We need to know now.

He was just running a few sandbagging lines by me that he hopes to use on the Evil 200.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Its been a 1.5 weeks since my collarbone incident and Iv to wait till next week till the fracture clinic looks at my x-rays and determines the poa for mending my mishap. Question for fellow collar bone breakers is how long roughly did it take before ye were back in the saddle? Obviously everyone is different and the break itself etc. Kinda annoyed I didnt buy a turbo trainer instead rollers,at least I could pedal some bit sooner.

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote: »
    Question for fellow collar bone breakers is how long roughly did it take before ye were back in the saddle?
    Broke collar bone and 2 ribs - back in the saddle after 2 weeks. (After 2 months my consultant gave me permission to go back to it! :o;)). My wife was terrified that he'd be checking Strava!

Broke collar bone and 2 ribs - back in the saddle after 2 weeks. (After 2 months my consultant gave me permission to go back to it! :o;)).

Very good. What was your break like ? Mines pointing up at one end, down at the other and a chip in the middle (pointy up bit is clearly visible). If I could belt away on the rollers id be happy enough. Next week will reveal all I guess.

Very good. What was your break like
    It wasn't clean and didn't join well so I have a lump of new bone about the size of a golf ball joining the two misaligned ends. The consultant wanted to re-break it and re-align with a metal plate as it doesn't look great but I wasn't keen or vain enough to agree to it.

Great, gives me some more hope anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sportive riders Vs Race riders... in Yorkshire:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Its been a 1.5 weeks since my collarbone incident and Iv to wait till next week till the fracture clinic looks at my x-rays and determines the poa for mending my mishap. Question for fellow collar bone breakers is how long roughly did it take before ye were back in the saddle? Obviously everyone is different and the break itself etc. Kinda annoyed I didnt buy a turbo trainer instead rollers,at least I could pedal some bit sooner.

To give the pessimist's viewpoint, I was 15 weeks before I could do a proper spin. Turbo before that though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No sound in work. What did the first sportive cyclist say or is that picked up? The green and white sportive lads doesnt give a fruit

godtabh wrote: »
    No sound in work. What did the first sportive cyclist say or is that picked up? The green and white sportive lads doesnt give a fruit

The sound is the best part. Screamin at each other. Part of it is something like:

"... mate. There's a race coming through"

"I know, I'm in it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Turbo after a couple of weeks. 31 days before I was on the bike. In hindsight that wasn't that bad. Was a very grumpy Fred for the duration though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Is there anyone here that's a subscription member on www.ridewithgps.com ?

Anyone know shops in Dublin selling water bottle holders, like the below? I'm hoping Elvery's might.

main_2184.jpg&w=340

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

buffalo wrote: »
    Anyone know shops in Dublin selling water bottle holders, like the below? I'm hoping Elvery's might.

According to their website it seems they do. I imagine the likes of Champion/Lifestyle sports may sell them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Terenure, just passing the college heading in Tallaght direction
    godtabh wrote: »
    Mine happened along the N11. Pulled in by a lad on a motor bike
    Yeah, I'd a similar discussion with a shickaloney on Camden Street that I mentioned on this thread. Wonder if it's the same guy, who's taken it upon himself to stop cyclists for having the temerity to cycle on the road?
    Worth noting in Terenure that despite the signage, there is no cycle lane/track on the Templeogue road heading towards Tallaght. You have a sign which says "cycle track" and an arrow directing you into an estate, which if you follow it you will find yourself going the wrong way around a roundabout and no cycle track in sight.
    The "cycle track" in Templeogue village is fncking lethal. I wouldn't ride on that if you paid me to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The sound is the best part. Screamin at each other. Part of it is something like:

"... mate. There's a race coming through"

"I know, I'm in it."

I liked the bit where the irate/irrational sportive rider has yelled that the (justifiably frustrated) marshal needn't have yelled at the sportive riders. The marshal's rational response was "they rode through a 'Road Closed' sign". To which the rider responds "Aye, you have all the answers, don't ya", very much like a man "with all the answers".

Well, I say I liked that bit, in reality I was despairing for the human race as I heard it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Milk crate for the win.

Don't ask me where you can get a milk crate though. :o

• Advertisement

Milk crate for the win.

Don't ask me where you can get a milk crate though. :o

4am most mornings on your local milkmans route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Saw a Garda car (ford fiesta) pull over two cyclists on Dublin bikes for going through a red light! Brought a smile to my face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Zyzz wrote: »
    Saw a Garda car (ford fiesta) pull over two cyclists on Dublin bikes for going through a red light! Brought a smile to my face :)

When the sun comes out, none of the ROTR matter. Its a carte blanche to do as you please.

Hope those cyclists reminded the Guards of this fact :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

saw 3 or 4 gardai waiting beside me at a pedestrian light outside trinity college a month or so ago, while 3-4 people blatantly & dangerously jaywalked right in from of them. Gardai did absolutely nothing, brought a :rolleyes: to my face...

rubadub wrote: »
    saw 3 or 4 gardai waiting beside me at a pedestrian light outside trinity college a month or so ago, while 3-4 people blatantly & dangerously jaywalked right in from of them. Gardai did absolutely nothing, brought a :rolleyes: to my face...

Does jaywalking exist here as a crime? I don't think it does.

• Advertisement

Under the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997, a person who crosses a road illegally can be fined £150 for a first offence, £350 for a second offence and £350 and/or three months' imprisonment for a third offence. - See more at: http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/loophole-means-jaywalkers-escape-prosecution-26254447.html#sthash.KcwIShnR.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

problem is they seem to go after one or the other, the amount of cars running lights that are clearly red etc this all should be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Knocking over a cyclist can happen to a anyone, sez a judge http://irishcycle.com/2014/05/20/hitting-cyclist-could-have-happened-to-any-of-us-says-judge/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Jeysus the accents on them :)

The fella arguing in the background is being a tool - he's pretty quick to remember how many races he's organised. The lad who cycles in the middle of the road must be simple. He looks like he's hardly a care in the world as the race comes towards him.

British Cycling have come out and said that there should be more regulations around sportives - I bet there will be plenty of MP's willing to add regulations on racing onto any bill that might be needed...

British Cycling have come out and said that there should be more regulations around sportives - I bet there will be plenty of MP's willing to add regulations on racing onto any bill that might be needed...

I doubt there's any bill needed, if BC is the same as CI, just threaten to take away insurance from events unless they're registered in advance with a route, potential clashes, etc.

Although I'd be surprised if that's not done already - perhaps BC is only concerned with racing, and leisure events are run as a free-for-all. Are there many mass participation events run in Ireland that aren't under the auspices of CI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I doubt there's any bill needed, if BC is the same as CI, just threaten to take away insurance from events unless they're registered in advance with a route, potential clashes, etc.

Although I'd be surprised if that's not done already - perhaps BC is only concerned with racing, and leisure events are run as a free-for-all. Are there many mass participation events run in Ireland that aren't under the auspices of CI?

I would imagine plenty of leisure events could be none CI same as a lot of running events are non AAI and triathlon non TI. You can organise insurance through a charity if it benefits them or straight from a broker or even not bother with it (sure, who checks an event has adequate insurance?) A quick reconciliation between the CI calendar and any organised event would confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lots of swanky looking TT Bikes heading in the direction of the Phoenix Park last night. Was there a Duatthmathalattethalon Running/Cycling Race on?

And if so, why can't we race in there on our bikes that can go round corners? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are there many mass participation events run in Ireland that aren't under the auspices of CI?

ROK I think.

Edit: actually it is. I thought in the past that it wasn't though.
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/insurance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Are there many mass participation events run in Ireland that aren't under the auspices of CI?

Loads. A large number of the community organised cycles, or cycles organised by local sporting groups outside of cycling etc have no association with CI (I don't know how their insurance works, or even if they are insured). Then there are events like the Wicklow 200, organised by IVCA (who I am sure are fully insured).

Organisers of CI approved mass start events have to submit documentation and get aproval in advance of running their event, and the event must be organised in association with a CI affiliated club. Full details can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ThisRegard wrote: »

So does that mean it's now fine to run over anyone on a bike, as long as you keep claiming that you didn't see them? Some knackers somewhere are rejoicing at this I think.

From what I've been thought in driving school it was that if you didn't see someone it's on you, it's a drivers responsibility to see others on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I wrote in a recent post about my daughter starting to cycle to Montessori. She has done so most days since she started. She has even ventured further afield some days, cycling home via a local public library for example. The most we think she has clocked up in any one day is just over 7km - not bad for a 5yr old (only just turned 5, but she has heartily embraced this milestone and her days as a 4yr old are now *well* behind her as she has told us in no uncertain terms :) ).

This morning I rode on the road again, keeping pace with her as she rode on the footpath. Going down one of the hills I clocked her at a max speed of about 18kph, her face a mask of concentration and glee. She was even happy to bump on and off shallow kerbs, and her competitive streak fuels an impressive turn of speed on the flat too. Occasions like these are one of the many that make parenting great fun!

Oh, and average power output for 1km of mostly downhill riding with lots of freewheeling was 64W. That was for me, she doesn’t have a power meter on her bike (c’mon Brim Brothers, get yer product out there so that ye can concentrate on something for the enthusiastic 5yr-old market next!). From that I deduce that she has an awesome, sorry *raaawwwsome*, power to weight ratio. That is a deduction which is not even vaguely influenced by parental bias …or, in fact, science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is, and it is so unenforced that many do not think its even a crime here. I have posted about it before and you are not the first to question if its a law, which is a bit worrying.

I only have heard of a single case of someone being done for it. These people I saw were breaking a red pedestrian light in full view of gardai, cars had to brake abruptly, if they had had a slight falter while running across the road their could have been a serious accident.

Bizarrely I actually once witnessed a gardai, instead of warning (or fining or whatever) secondary schoolkids & adults illegally crossing the N11 under a pedestrian flyover, she actually assisted them, as the law abiding kids were right overhead. I mentioned this before and some were saying "well if she was assisting they were not breaking the law" :rolleyes: -great stuff pedants, I'm sure her supervising officer would have been well impressed with what was effectively aiding and abetting a crime -even if technically legal I doubt anybody can say its something that should be encouraged.

I just think its crazy when people get all up in arms at cyclists breaking some red lights when if a person was walking with the bike alongside them, at the same speed, they would not bat an eyelid, some not even question if its illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was leaving somewhere after a parade and there was a guy in a wheelchair with us. Town was mad because the parade didn't shut down the whole city but just a part of it. The garda saw the guy in the wheelchair and stopped the traffic and let him (and us) cross as he couldn't use the footpaths with the amount of people and it was dangerous for him on the road. The garda who was on a motorbike followed us for about five minutes stopping traffic to let us cross everywhere on our way to the pub. I had completely forgotten about this time we had our own garda escort until you mentioned that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Loads. A large number of the community organised cycles, or cycles organised by local sporting groups outside of cycling etc have no association with CI (I don't know how their insurance works, or even if they are insured). Then there are events like the Wicklow 200, organised by IVCA (who I am sure are fully insured).

Organisers of CI approved mass start events have to submit documentation and get aproval in advance of running their event, and the event must be organised in association with a CI affiliated club. Full details can be found here
    Talking about the IVCA, who run a few leisure events including the WW200, they also arrange 2 races a week throughout the summer. I do think it doesn't help having two separate organisations responsible to overseeing racing in Ireland (I believe there have been efforts to get them to affiliate to CI). CI are the so-called "governing body" but have no influence over the IVCA who are the biggest single "organiser" of racing in Ireland (by a long way)

IVCA events and members are fully insured, although it is a pre-condition of the insurance that helmets must be worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Im so easily amused..

GDVECO0.jpg?1

so, the rules say you can only wear a jersey you won or earned. There was a competition in work to see who could cycle the furthest in a week, and I won. The prize was a maglia rosa replica. So, I won it by beating others, so by that rational I can wear it, but I didn't earn it by winning the Giro, so I can't wear it. Its like Schrodinger's Jersey....

From my understanding of quantum physics (as an English/Irish grad), Schrödinger's cat was not a serious posit by the man at all, not even a thought experiment, but more a stretch of quantum theory to the ludicrous, as a cat, unlike quantum particles cannot exist in two states (alive and dead), unlike quantum electrons, particles, etc. So really, your Maglia Rosa, is in fact not a Maglia Rosa, it is an imitation and therefore, does not exist as both a Maglia Rosa and an imitation, but as an imitation alone.

The wearing of the jerseu cannot be thought of in the dynamic of quantum physics as it is an action rather than having a physical manifestation, therefore the jersey is a the centre of the paradox, while at the same time, is not the centre of the paradox, as a paradox does not actually exist, because the jersey is not the jersey, but a fake.

In that case, I shall both wear, and not wear the jersey, and then see what happens when someone interferes with it. (oooer matron!!!)

so, the rules say you can only wear a jersey you won or earned. There was a competition in work to see who could cycle the furthest in a week, and I won. The prize was a maglia rosa replica. So, I won it by beating others, so by that rational I can wear it, but I didn't earn it by winning the Giro, so I can't wear it. Its like Schrodinger's Jersey....

I have a similar quandry with a yellow Rás jersey that I won ...on Facebook.

My solution was to burn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

In that case, I shall both wear, and not wear the jersey, and then see what happens when someone interferes with it. (oooer matron!!!)

Such observation can of itself, pace Heisenberg, cause interference and thereby plunge your Strava KOMs into Uncertainty!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement