Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

308157.jpg

Surprisingly, this is a real academic paper, and the gloriously named Hugh Sexey is quite real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    Its like Schrodinger's Jersey....

j1WNYqz.jpg[\img]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

From my understanding of quantum physics (as an English/Irish grad), Schrödinger's cat was not a serious posit by the man at all, not even a thought experiment, but more a stretch of quantum theory to the ludicrous, as a cat, unlike quantum particles cannot exist in two states (alive and dead), unlike quantum electrons, particles, etc. So really, your Maglia Rosa, is in fact not a Maglia Rosa, it is an imitation and therefore, does not exist as both a Maglia Rosa and an imitation, but as an imitation alone.

The wearing of the jerseu cannot be thought of in the dynamic of quantum physics as it is an action rather than having a physical manifestation, therefore the jersey is a the centre of the paradox, while at the same time, is not the centre of the paradox, as a paradox does not actually exist, because the jersey is not the jersey, but a fake.

I agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm hoping there's an exception to the "only wear it if you win rule".....

My TDF replica jersey (given to me by one of the sponsors) languishes in a wardrobe - I've been trying to figure out if I could dye it a different colour but so far no good. I have thought of sewing the back of it onto another jersey so that the yellow strip down the back would reflect my descending prowess but that would wreck two jerseys. I guess it's back to the bottom of the wardrobe for another ten years for the jersey.

My best young riders TDF replica jersey (given to me after a "milestone" birthday - ha bloody ha) gets an occasional outing (to date under another jersey) but given the fact that if you halved my age and lied about the result a bit I would just about qualify for the competition, I'm taking the view that I'm ok to wear it in a sort of ironic way (especially as its "race" cut which doesn't do me any favours). Whatyisalltink?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

buffalo wrote: »
    I have a similar quandry with a yellow Rás jersey that I won ...on Facebook.

My solution was to burn it.

any chance of a donation to a worthy cause listed below?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I work a job I don't particularly like to pay for cycle stuff. Does that not count as earning the jersey no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Unless the job you don't particularly like is winning the Giro, then... no, it doesn't count.

10345543_661767550538813_6356183213767394193_n.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

disgusted-face.gif ^

One of my dream bikes tbh. Eoin Mullen has one and I got to paw it a bit at the Nationals, and watch it disappear as he beat me in the match sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I love Look track bikes. They always look just pure built to race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From my understanding of quantum physics (as an English/Irish grad), Schrödinger's cat was not a serious posit by the man at all, not even a thought experiment, but more a stretch of quantum theory to the ludicrous, as a cat, unlike quantum particles cannot exist in two states (alive and dead)
    But how do you know that a cat cannot exist unobserved in two states except by observing that it doesn't? And how can you prove a negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    But how do you know that a cat cannot exist unobserved in two states except by observing that it doesn't? And how can you prove a negative?

How can he not prove a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    so, the rules say you can only wear a jersey you won or earned. There was a competition in work to see who could cycle the furthest in a week, and I won. The prize was a maglia rosa replica. So, I won it by beating others, so by that rational I can wear it, but I didn't earn it by winning the Giro, so I can't wear it. Its like Schrodinger's Jersey....

not much of competition if your in it

So, how much of my precious time do you want me to spend double checking my understanding of the concept and then typing out the retort. And more importantly, will you pay me?

Like I said, I'm not a physics buff, nor graduate, my feeble mins deals better with abstract critical theory than abstract sciences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

manafana wrote: »
    not much of competition if your in it

I'm struggling to work out whether this is a compliment or an insult.

If lennymc has qualified for this competition, it must be rubbish and therefore not much of a competition, or if lennymc is in it, he'll definitely win, and therefore it's not much of a competition...

godtabh wrote: »
    any chance of a donation to a worthy cause listed below?

I need the smouldering ashes for at least one more week so I can wear it to this year's Rás finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

If lennymc has qualified for this competition, it must be rubbish and therefore not much of a competition, or if lennymc is in it, he'll definitely win, and therefore it's not much of a competition...

ditto :)

have you seen his commutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Dear RSA,
    If you are truly concerned about my safety then please stop bleating on about how supposedly vital it is that I wear a hi-viz vest while cycling.

Instead, try insisting that my ninja cats wear them around the house so that I am not as likely to trip over them each and every sodding day as they quietly place themselves unseen in my path!

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    have you seen his commutes?

Nope, so again, are they 5km downhill rides at 13kph, or 120km treks over the Alps? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is this the pussy, that features in "The Big Bang Theory"?.

Nope, so again, are they 5km downhill rides at 13kph, or 120km treks over the Alps? :pac:

they're pretty long with no alpes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So just went with a mate to pick up a brand new 2013 Genesis Vapour disc that I tracked down for him.

I'm about 40% happy for him, 60% jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/motorcyclist-hits-cyclist-posts-video-youtube-124261

Well this angries up the blood. Motorcyclist knocks over a cyclist in the cycle lane, has a go at him immediately, posts video on youtube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/motorcyclist-hits-cyclist-posts-video-youtube-124261

Well this angries up the blood. Motorcyclist knocks over a cyclist in the cycle lane, has a go at him immediately, posts video on youtube.

Fcuks sake, that is ridiculous. That motorbike makes for a shockingly high horse. How skewed does you perception have to be that you can knock someone over, who are legally where they should be, then give out to them? WTF? That made me angry :mad: Yer man need to go on a safe driving course or have his license taken off him for a bit for dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Is that painted area on the roadway some sort of cycle lane? If so, it's in an odd spot.

And if so, the motorcyclist seems to have waited until the cyclist cleared the end of it, before knocking him off his bike.

The police officer wasn't of much use. She can be seen approaching at 0:40, seemingly more concerned about clearing the roadway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gadetra wrote: »
    Fcuks sake, that is ridiculous. That motorbike makes for a shockingly high horse. How skewed does you perception have to be that you can knock someone over, who are legally where they should be, then give out to them? WTF? That made me angry :mad: Yer man need to go on a safe driving course or have his license taken off him for a bit for dangerous driving.

After 41.5 years on planet Earth I have come to the conclusion that some people are just wired wrong. Stuff just does not compute, like the fella in the video. He doesn't strike me as a chancer trying to get off. He genuinely thinks he is right.

My perception may be slightly skewed having spent a lot of time in the motor industry.

The amount of people who have mechanical issues with their cars after 5+ years and think it is a "manufacturing defect" is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

After 41.5 years on planet Earth I have come to the conclusion that some people are just wired wrong. Stuff just does not compute, like the fella in the video. He doesn't strike me as a chancer trying to get off. He genuinely thinks he is right.

My perception may be slightly skewed having spent a lot of time in the motor industry.

The amount of people who have mechanical issues with their cars after 5+ years and think it is a "manufacturing defect" is staggering.

agree with most of your commentary but not the last bit.
    I'm thinking along the lines of Audi's oil drive issue or BMW's 2 litre diesel timing chain issue as prime example of manufacturing defects - or design issues if you will. Completely off topic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

KLF will get me up'n'over that hill this weekend.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is that painted area on the roadway some sort of cycle lane? If so, it's in an odd spot.

And if so, the motorcyclist seems to have waited until the cyclist cleared the end of it, before knocking him off his bike.

Only noticed the lane finished after you pointed it out. Where is a cyclist supposed to go after that? Turn right with the crossing lights across oncoming traffic? Why not just have it merge with the crossing from the left-hand side in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Police all over that area and any stopped vehicle attracts attention. Staggered by both of them really. The cyclist for being on his phone and the motorcyclist for just well....everything!

The top of if The Mall can be like a race track at times as both a user of pedal cyles and motorcycle round there you have to keep your wits about you its no place to be chatting on a mobile but equally its no place to be trying to squeeze through a gap that isn't there...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

10299561_673487849384756_8812389551967580292_n.jpg

Great post!

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/a-ras-crash-as-it-happens-the-big-impact-and-scramble-back-on-captured-in-photos/

“My wife really loves me. Her second sentence to me; ‘is the bike OK?’ She gave out to me in the first!”

Coming back from the supermarket with panniers loaded when I encountered a classic Mr Safety at Rathmines bridge. His bike festooned in lights and reflectors. Hugging the kerb but lurching out into my path at random intervals with no signals.

And he's probably convinced that he's the safest cyclist out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

A feature of the local election campaign in Lucan was the intense competition for space on every lamppost. Kudos to candidate Jim Doyle who correctly anticipated this and came up with his innovative "clutter resistant" poster design. There's hope yet for our great nation!

308352.JPG

Got a new helmet, tried it out today. It's a vast improvement on my 12 year old block. However I miss my peak. My face felt like it was being peeled. Cap is next thing on the list!

In good cycling news, once of my friends did her accreditation today and loved it, she is going to the ladies track day tomorrow. She's totally hooked! She can't wait to get training and racing. She is going to get her sister in on the act too. Whoop whoop! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Veloviewer seems to have gone bonkers. It's just informed me that my longest ride (time wise) was 448 days, 40 minutes, 54 seconds and that it was a commute from work! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For fans of steel, a reminder that there is not just a demand for steel frames, but also builders catering to it (and it’s also just an excuse to post a picture of something pretty and shiny - we kinda wants it):
    Wraith, a company started by custom frame builder Adam Eldridge, announced its first two models this week, the Hustle road frame and Paycheck cyclocross frame.

The frames will come in three standard sizes (no custom) and use Columbus’ newly released FEL 1.5-inch tapered forks. Both will be built by hand in Ohio.
    The prices are impressive, just $1,090 for a top-quality, triple-butted steel frame from a popular custom builder (even if these won’t have custom geometry). Wraith is taking orders now, requiring that buyers put $300 on the table when they reserve a frame and pay the rest upon delivery, scheduled for late June.

wrait-624x440.png

I had a dream about this a short while ago..

• Advertisement

doozerie wrote: »
    For fans of steel, a reminder that there is not just a demand for steel frames, but also builders catering to it (and it’s also just an excuse to post a picture of something pretty and shiny - we kinda wants it):

wrait-624x440.png

The resurgence of steel frames has been going on for years now, partially thanks to the growth of "hipsterdom". Unfortunately, as with the growth of that most annoying of fads, it has mostly occurred in the US. UK and Euro frame builder numbers have remained relatively stagnant in comparison. So if you want "new" steel, it'll cost.

Police all over that area and any stopped vehicle attracts attention. Staggered by both of them really. The cyclist for being on his phone and the motorcyclist for just well....everything!

The top of if The Mall can be like a race track at times as both a user of pedal cyles and motorcycle round there you have to keep your wits about you its no place to be chatting on a mobile but equally its no place to be trying to squeeze through a gap that isn't there...

the amount of drivers still using mobile phones in city traffic is scary

I feel worried that of the two times I've met Vladimir Kurtains the only time he liked my bike was when he saw my franken-tourer....what does this mean for my beloved roadbike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I feel worried that of the two times I've met Vladimir Kurtains the only time he liked my bike was when he saw my franken-tourer....what does this mean for my beloved roadbike?

Does your frankenbike wear Boras?

Does your frankenbike wear Boras?

Hardly. The wheels wear paper bags over themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No spin since last Sat but swam an hour a day for 4 days,can I still post here?

RobFowl wrote: »
    No spin since last Sat but swam an hour a day for 4 days,can I still post here?

Secret swimmer here too. Are you doing the swim a mile thing? I have cut my swimming down to 3/4 days a week since taking up track :(. I feel it missing in my breath alright. It's mad how wobbly bits of you get when you pretty much just cycle :eek:

I'll close the door on the way out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Saw a cyclist on the N11 at the Bray exit pulled over by the guards today, looks like they were waiting for someone to come take the bike away. Delighted I was, as a cyclist btw, do the ring of Kerry and a few more events each year but cant stand these donkeys who cycle on motorways.

Saw a cyclist on the N11 at the Bray exit pulled over by the guards today, looks like they were waiting for someone to come take the bike away. Delighted I was, as a cyclist btw, do the ring of Kerry and a few more events each year but cant stand these donkeys who cycle on motorways.

The N11 or the M11? There's no reason not to cycle on the N11.

The N11 or the M11? There's no reason not to cycle on the N11.

Ya gotta move down one! :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement