Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    No spin since last Sat but swam an hour a day for 4 days,can I still post here?

If there was a minimum time in saddle per post requirement I'd owe several multi-day Audaxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

http://www.yanchor.com/
    Good products, but the web address made me chuckle, secure your bike with a yanchor to protect it from a wanker.
    I should be in marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

WillyFXP wrote: »
    http://www.yanchor.com/
    Good products, but the web address made me chuckle, secure your bike with a yanchor to protect it from a wanker.
    I should be in marketing.

Don't be a wanker, buy a yanchor! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RobFowl wrote: »
    No spin since last Sat but swam an hour a day for 4 days,can I still post here?

Yes. But, if you mention, that, you've been out jogging, then you're outta here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No cycling for 10 days for me :'(

Was washing dishes and a glass cracked and went right under my skin near the bottom knuckle on my right hand, can't grip very much with said hand for a few days as it heals and stitches don't come out until the 4th. Boo.

10302239_10152396651771294_5847730887695761586_n.jpg?oh=eeee3a9d2ac8b6e36dff8322b7d2483c&oe=538449AA&__gda__=1401150365_66c8667fa4939eeab8df24e71a480eda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

DVD released today.

10363267_726408370745418_7684031014355918675_n.jpg

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd say that both parties are equally at fault. Because yeah, they shouldn't be holding an illegal rave, but that cyclist clearly owns a mobile phone. Therefore cycling should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I'd say that both parties are equally at fault. Because yeah, they shouldn't be holding an illegal rave, but that cyclist clearly owns a mobile phone. Therefore cycling should be banned.
    308515.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

p4pb10990721.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zyzz wrote: »
    p4pb10990721.jpg

That's what he gets for wearing Lycra on a mountain bike. Tisn't natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Seaneh wrote: »
    That's what he gets for wearing Lycra on a mountain bike. Tisn't natural.

Ouch!
    Something similar happened to me yesterday and funny enough was wearing lycra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The resurgence of steel frames has been going on for years now, partially thanks to the growth of "hipsterdom". Unfortunately, as with the growth of that most annoying of fads, it has mostly occurred in the US. UK and Euro frame builder numbers have remained relatively stagnant in comparison. So if you want "new" steel, it'll cost.

Very true, the resurgence has been well established for quite a while. In fact it's probably fair to say that the demand never really went away in some corners - as far as I know various bike builders in the UK have continued to produce steel frames throughout e.g. Brian Rourke, Enigma, Genesis, etc.

I'm kind of material agnostic really, but I like the look of that Wraith frameset. My bike envy lurks only just under the surface!

I feel worried that of the two times I've met Vladimir Kurtains the only time he liked my bike was when he saw my franken-tourer....what does this mean for my beloved roadbike?

It probably means that your road bike has a lovely personality. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

doozerie wrote: »
    It probably means that your road bike has a lovely personality. :)

reminds me of describing your new girlfriend to your mates as 'sound'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just finished Graham Healy's bio of Shy Elliott, great read. Seems to have been a genuine gentleman and talented rider who was taken advantage of at every opportunity. Quite a story, and required reading for any Irish racer I think.

ShayElliott_medium.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

For anyone following John Degenkolb on twitter, don't click the link he's tweeting and definitely don't enter your username and password in it. His account has been compromised :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Awww, and I thought he wanted to compromise me. :(

Drivers beware… it’s Traffic Droid

ad_135710162.jpg?w=650&h=433&crop=1#038;h=667
    All this fighting crime has also come at a cost to his personal life. ‘It hasn’t left much time to find a girlfriend,’ he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Unsurprisingly, The Metro managed to screw up the definition of a left hook. I'm recording the series. It may be worth watching.

I wonder if it's time constraints that prevent him from having a girlfriend? Somehow I think there may be other reasons as well. :-)

• Advertisement

I've got this weird feeling. Like maybe this guy isn't exactly helping to lower the temperature on road user interactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why is there a helmet strap going across his chin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I guess he's growing Judge Dredd jaw and the old strap just doesn't fit anymore.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs20/f/2007/279/8/d/Judge_Dredd_by_DaVinci41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

DB station on Emmet Road, Inchicore, seems to be running now.
    308658.jpg

Awesome. Must have just opened today because it was still non-operational this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, that was about 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And still none in the old road Brian Boru took in through Clanbrassil Street and Harold's Cross. He woulda hadda walk, couldn't have got a bike at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

He is a complete tosser.
    Lumen wrote: »

He is ex-military if Im not mistaken..dont army folk have chin straps.. :pac:

Lumen wrote:

Because the regulation issue helmet for those who fight crime is not a bicycle helmet, it’s one of these:

Desert_kevlar_helmet.jpg

And what is a “telecoms officer” anyway? It’s like his secret (well, a little less secret now) crime-fighting life is leaking into his day job, Officer Droid will be staking out the stationary cupboard next trying to apprehend office criminals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Broadsheet.ie is looking for the owner of a phone left on an early morning Westport train to Dublin the other day; for some reason they think it's a cyclist: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/05/27/lost-a-phone-on-the-westport-heuston-train/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=web&utm_content=latest_comments#comment-1015645

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone know any shops that sell red Shimano cleats in Dublin city?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hello everyone,
    Some of you have noticed I'm not on here as much as normal and some of you have noticed I'm not on my bike as much either, everything is OK before I continue with my very long and boring post.
    Back just before Christmas I got let go from my job but I picked up another one within a week which has phenomenally long hours and involves professional athlete levels of running around, a pair of shoes lasts me 3-5 weeks. I get paid good money for that type of job but it wasn't the job I was looking for. My girlfriend then left me, which I think the job was a factor. I must say my employers are lovely people, it's just the nature of the beast, it's an extremely busy place.

Roll on a couple of more months and I notice a shop for sale, it's a shop I know fairly well as it's where my grandparents lived and brother currently lives. I notice it's also going at a price I can afford, I made a bid, refused, another bid, outbid and I gave in because I didn't want to take on so much debt and not have enough money to set up or end up in a bidding war. Anyhow on Friday, I received news that my bid was accepted and yesterday I put down the deposit. It's now in the hands of the solicitors and I hope to be open at the end of June. The shop is a general newsagents and sweet shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and I hope to be open at the end of June. The shop is a general newsagents and sweet shop.
    Best of luck with it Captain.

(In Kilkenny?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Great news Captain. Hope it really works out for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Best of luck Captain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yay Captain. Will you sell cycling related stuff? Boards discount cards?

In unrelated news my front wheel seem to have developed a problem. I popped off the wheel to throw the bike into the car at the weekend, I was gettign a bit bored of my usual route and fancied some sea air. When I went to put it back on it didnt seem to fit through the brake pads properly. Once it was in position I closed the front brakes which resulted in a terrible rub, as if the brakes where half pulled. It works fine with the brakes fully open, no rub and still has plenty of braking power, but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyhow on Friday, I received news that my bid was accepted and yesterday I put down the deposit. It's now in the hands of the solicitors and I hope to be open at the end of June. The shop is a general newsagents and sweet shop.

Well done CH, I think I met you a few years ago at the first venture of the eventually failed Gruppo di Sussidio spins for dole scroungers. It's good to see unemployment ended, but more so, a bit of entrepreneurial endeavour. I wish you all the best with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Kimye hit up Ballyhoura

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/exclusive-kim-and-kanyes-ballyhoura-biking-adventure-before-moving-on-to-kerry-30311401.html
    Bookings were made for a size six frame bike and a smaller size four for a lady.
    What's a size six frame bike though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Best of luck Captain!

Agreed.

Wishing you all the best for your venture!
    If it's going to be one of those country places that sells *everything* you should put a few raid pyrenees brochures out.

Best of luck Capt Havoc.

In other news been carrying bags of laundry up the stairs in work after doing the two gaps via Cruagh road yesterday.

My legs are feeling like this: stains the dog vietnam flashbacks: http://youtu.be/g4ChTL-3c3o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good luck Havoc. You know of course that this means you'll never get out on a bike again don't you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

In unrelated news my front wheel seem to have developed a problem. I popped off the wheel to throw the bike into the car at the weekend, I was gettign a bit bored of my usual route and fancied some sea air. When I went to put it back on it didnt seem to fit through the brake pads properly. Once it was in position I closed the front brakes which resulted in a terrible rub, as if the brakes where half pulled. It works fine with the brakes fully open, no rub and still has plenty of braking power, but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas?

The one thing that comes to mind is that you have somehow pulled the cable outer out of its seat at one end or the other (most likely at the caliper). The outer is now resting on the edge of the adjuster resulting in the brake being half pulled. A gentle pull on the outer and re-seating it should sort that out.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes.
    Best of luck with it Captain.

(In Kilkenny?)

Yeah it's in Kilkenny.
    Yay Captain. Will you sell cycling related stuff? Boards discount cards?

I might stock a couple of tubes but that would be it. D-d-d-discount c-c-card, that is bla-bla-bla-blasphemy.
    Well done CH, I think I met you a few years ago at the first venture of the eventually failed Gruppo di Sussidio spins for dole scroungers. It's good to see unemployment ended, but more so, a bit of entrepreneurial endeavour. I wish you all the best with it!
    You did indeed meet me.
    Idleater wrote: »
    Agreed.

Wishing you all the best for your venture!
    If it's going to be one of those country places that sells *everything* you should put a few raid pyrenees brochures out.
    It will stock a few odd things, I know I'm going to order something in hindsight was not such a good idea.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Good luck Havoc. You know of course that this means you'll never get out on a bike again don't you...
    I think this is the reason the current owner is selling it, he's a cyclist himself and thoroughly nice guy.

I might stock a couple of tubes but that would be it. D-d-d-discount c-c-card, that is bla-bla-bla-blasphemy.
    Just overcharge for the first month and then put up a discount price, I know a few of the mods on the cycling forum, we could probably sneak it into the Bargain alerts thread.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just overcharge for the first month and then put up a discount price, I know a few of the mods on the cycling forum, we could probably sneak it into the Bargain alerts thread.

I worked for a company that did that, high price for 28 consecutive days then six months on sale. Sometimes it was at the high price with something free, I'm now extremely skeptical when I see sales prices on anything, I've tried to explain this to people but a few can't understand the concept so there are still people out there who will fall for this deceptive sales ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

I worked for a company that did that, high price for 28 consecutive days then six months on sale. Sometimes it was at the high price with something free, I'm now extremely skeptical when I see sales prices on anything, I've tried to explain this to people but a few can't understand the concept so there are still people out there who will fall for this deceptive sales ploy.

It sounds like a particular giant of electronics which has adverts on tv around particular festive times of the year where the period that it was at "full" price is indicated in the small print at the bottom of the tv. They usually have it at that price for around the same required time. snakes. Funny gimmick of "free" accessories too....when you pay for the other thing.

There used to be two clothes shops beside each other near the Jervis Shopping centre. They had sales on for years, they would open for a day or two, have a few months of closing down sale and then swap out shops over a Monday and start all over again. It gave the appearance that they had a sale on 360 days a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Best of luck Captain H with your new venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Congrats Captn & best wishes. Welcome to the much abused underclass that is the self-employed.
    Guess you'll be a bit scarcer monday evenings later in the summer so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement