Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, get yourself some proper cycling clothes. You'll find cycling far easier and more comfortable. If you're on a budget, go with the dhb in-house brand @ www.wiggle.com. It's good quality stuff at a decent price. For summer you want padded bib shorts and a jersey and for winter you want padded bib tights, a baselayer top and a long-sleeve jersey. You can figure out the autumn by mixing the two sets of clothing, but there are also autumn/spring specific things too.

On the computer, no computer under €40 will actually track your location, just speed, distance, etc. If you want to track your rides, then fit a €15 computer that will give you the basic stats like speed, distance, average speed, etc, and then use your phone in a ziplock bag in your pocket as a GPS tracker.

Personally, I think bike fits are overrated unless you're riding competitively or you're finding yourself with chronic injury/pain problems. There are guides online as to how to get a relatively decent fit all on your lonesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Hi all,

I purchased a road bike last year and so far i love it. I really want to get more involved in cycling and i have a goal of completing in a triathlon some time in the near future. I am a complete beginner still and have a few questions, i don't really know who to ask.

1. I do not have any proper cycling gear bar a helmet - should i purchase cycling clothing, shoes etc and if so is there any recommended outlets?

2. I've been looking at getting a bicycle computer to track my rides - from what I've read the Garmin 500 is great but i don't really think i can afford it at this time. Are the cheaper (<40 euro) ones worth getting or should i just user a cycling app on my phone?

3. I don't really have enough cash for a proper bike fit and the moment (i purchased my bike second hand) but the local bike shop said they could do one for around 20 euro - although they don't use and equipment/computers it's done the 'old way' as they said. Would it be worth it?

Hi these are my own opinions and I'm sure many will add/ contradict me.lol
    1.cycling clothes are a must, padded shorts are a cycling top are the priority and then add shoes after your sure you will stick with it. They do help me especially on the hills. There is plenty of online sites , chainreactions/Evans/wiggle and sometimes you will get great deals on the sales- follow the bargain alert thread here. I don find my local bike shop more than competitive , in fact usually cheaper but that's not always the case with all lbs.

2. I'm using strava at the moment and find it fine, not sure on accuracy . I have cheaper option on old bike but had stopped using it as I was watching speed too much and not pushing myself as much as I should of, now I go as hard as I feel comfortable with and I'm going ok. Since I got new bike I'm speedo less and staying like that for now, may get a garmin in future.

3. Don't know if it's worth it , you will prob get all that info on YouTube . Guys in my club who have done a proper bike fit rave about it but I haven't gone down that road yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, get yourself some proper cycling clothes. You'll find cycling far easier and more comfortable. If you're on a budget, go with the dhb in-house brand @ www.wiggle.com. It's good quality stuff at a decent price. For summer you want padded bib shorts and a jersey and for winter you want padded bib tights, a baselayer top and a long-sleeve jersey. You can figure out the autumn by mixing the two sets of clothing, but there are also autumn/spring specific things too.

On the computer, no computer under €40 will actually track your location, just speed, distance, etc. If you want to track your rides, then fit a €15 computer that will give you the basic stats like speed, distance, average speed, etc, and then use your phone in a ziplock bag in your pocket as a GPS tracker.

Personally, I think bike fits are overrated unless you're riding competitively or you're finding yourself with chronic injury/pain problems. There are guides online as to how to get a relatively decent fit all on your lonesome.

Wow thanks for the reply its a great help. I don't really know anyone that's big into cycling well enough to start asking loads of questions!

I hope to learn as much as i can and i want to make sure i spend what little money i have on proper gear that will hopefully last me a while. I feel my saddle can get uncomfortable - maybe because I'm wearing regular shorts with no padding so maybe padded shorts will make things easier!

Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would a cycle computer that monitors your cadence not be a handy thing to have for a beginner?

They're a bit more expensive but handy I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm always slow to recommend computers with cadence, because they can be quite expensive, and because they mean you have big cable runs across the bike. Better to save up and get an edge 500, even second hand, IMHO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You could use a Speedo as a cadence detector. Its the same thing just that the magnet is on the crank rather than the wheel. If you knew what speeds indicated what cadences, it would be quite simple to work out. Hell of alot cheaper as well, Cateye ones are often below 50euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could use a Speedo as a cadence detector. Its the same thing just that the magnet is on the crank rather than the wheel. If you knew what speeds indicated what cadences, it would be quite simple to work out. Hell of alot cheaper as well, Cateye ones are often below 50euro

I have seen a cateye one which has a single sensor on the chainstay on the non-drive side, there is a magnet in the crank arm and another mounted on the rear wheel (same as the front wheel in normal speedos). This gives cadence and speed (and distance) without requiring significantly more cabling and it is reasonably priced at less than €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

carthoris wrote: »
    I have seen a cateye one (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cateye-strada-cadence-9-function-rd200/rp-prod28224) which has a single sensor on the chainstay on the non-drive side, there is a magnet in the crank arm and another mounted on the rear wheel (same as the front wheel in normal speedos). This gives cadence and speed (and distance) without requiring significantly more cabling and it is reasonably priced at less than €50.

Whuffo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I know this question has been asked repeatedly but can one simply upgrade themselves from A4to A3 when applying for the next years licence? A club mate told me at weekend I couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Whuffo?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

3OpJrgw.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My rear wheel popped out of dropout as I started to sprint up the final kick Sutton side to the shop at Howth, threw me over the handlebars, some nice chunks taken out of my hand and elbow, bikes fine, I'll heal. I generally do the skewers up tight, last put the wheel on and tightened it about 280km and one race ago.

Any ideas on what went wrong and how to avoid in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    My rear wheel popped out of dropout as I started to sprint up the final kick Sutton side to the shop at Howth, threw me over the handlebars, some nice chunks taken out of my hand and elbow, bikes fine, I'll heal. I generally do the skewers up tight, last put the wheel on and tightened it about 280km and one race ago.

Stop thinking you're Alberto Contador? Seriously though hope you don't have lasting damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sometimes they come loose. Happened to me but I clocked it mid-spin before anything went wrong. Check em more often maybe.

I always give the bike a bounce before getting on to see if there are any warning sounds.

Wouldn't be that your frame's a bit too springy? The rear dropouts a little worn, or slightly spread? The spring worn on the quick-release? The lever too sproingy on the quick-release? The wheel off-balance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are the 'lawyer tabs' not supposed to prevent that happening or did you file them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

what quick release did you use? I read something somewhere that recommended using the old cam style ones rather than the compressed nylon washer ones as they were more reliable. Unfortunately I dont know where the article is.

cam type one -

stock-photo-bicycle-quick-release-hub-wheel-skewer-97412978.jpg

nylon washer type -

weber-monoporter-bike-cargo-trailer-longer-quick-release-stock-M.jpg

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    what quick release did you use? I read something somewhere that recommended using the old cam style ones rather than the compressed nylon washer ones as they were more reliable. Unfortunately I dont know where the article is.

cam type one -

stock-photo-bicycle-quick-release-hub-wheel-skewer-97412978.jpg

nylon washer type -

weber-monoporter-bike-cargo-trailer-longer-quick-release-stock-M.jpg

Well, for starters the spirally metal yokes are ar$e ways in the 2nd pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are the 'lawyer tabs' not supposed to prevent that happening or did you file them off?

Lawyer tabs are only required on a front dropout, I think? My frame only has them by design on the front fork anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lawyer tabs are only required on a front dropout,.....
    Doh! of course - front only. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I always give the bike a bounce before getting on to see if there are any warning sounds.

double this a bounce should do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Got a text from a non-cycling friend this morning, who asked if I was regretting not entering an Orwell Wheelers team into the Tour de France given the number of overall contenders crashing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Got a text from a non-cycling friend this morning, who asked if I was regretting not entering an Orwell Wheelers team into the Tour de France given the number of overall contenders crashing out.

1w58.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was he/she suggesting you could've gotten rid of some of your club rivals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

furiousox wrote: »
    My new favourite after hours thread!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't encourage them

I presume you told he or she that it is too much of a circus and you don't do mainstream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Was reading through it earlier, some good suggestions in it again washed out by tit for tat comments and posts. I had a good laugh at a comment complaining about "bundles of twigs" flooding the roads in their knock off tdf gear for three weeks of the year. So by that logic anyone who wears a team jersey to a final or just day to day in support of their club/favorite team in any sport is a "bundle of twigs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

have say there seems be more opposition to these blame cyclist posts, it really does need some education at school levels about respect for all road users.

Don't cycle inside a hgv, or inside an indicating vechicle, then how others can respect cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had my worst clip less pedal fail this morning. I was taking off at the lights, and thought I had clipped in, but by left foot hadn't and *bam* straight down onto the top tube. Now when this has happened before I usually get a toe on the ground to save some of the impact but not today. I thought I was going to expire for 10 secs. I didn't fall over but it was worse than the slow fall. I am giving serious thought to padding the top tube. Some pipe insulation, a mini memory foam mattress, a little feather bed, or a balloon or something. Just in case. Not looking forward to the league tonight :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ouch.

I wonder how you're going to name your next bike:
    Burner_1040783.jpg

Tipp?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alek I shall call him Weldy and we will be awesome :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Alek wrote: »
    Ouch.

I wonder how you're going to name your next bike:
    Burner_1040783.jpg
    I loved my burner!

Saw this in Halfords earlier today.
    A Pinarello with tiagra/sora components and R500 wheels. :eek:
    Is there a helpline I can call?

314783.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

fugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Saw this in Halfords earlier today.
    A Pinarello with tiagra/sora components and R500 wheels. :eek:
    Is there a helpline I can call?

With that setup everyone will think its a chinarello.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    fugly.
    Yes, but that is why the groupset is entirely appropriate on that frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Interpol - All the rage back home

Paul McLoone on Today fm is playing this tune all week. It's the best thing I have heard in a decade. Sounds like a lot of bands I listened to in the mid 80s.
    Class
    Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gx-byLqcIE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gadetra wrote: »
    Had my worst clip less pedal fail this morning. I was taking off at the lights, and thought I had clipped in, but by left foot hadn't and *bam* straight down onto the top tube. Now when this has happened before I usually get a toe on the ground to save some of the impact but not today. I thought I was going to expire for 10 secs. I didn't fall over but it was worse than the slow fall. I am giving serious thought to padding the top tube. Some pipe insulation, a mini memory foam mattress, a little feather bed, or a balloon or something. Just in case. Not looking forward to the league tonight :o

Years ago a friend went to buy a new bike in a big store where the salesman tried to direct her towards something pink and fluffy with a lovely basket, all the while pointing out the lovely ladies frame suitable for long skirts. Not amused with the presumption that she wasn't taking buying a bicycle seriously - she looked him square in the face and told him he would do a hell of a lot more damage to himself on a crossbar than she ever would. He shut up at the point and she bought the road bike she always wanted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just saw a Roadie out for a spin with a bottle of Erdinger (Alcohol free) in his bottle cage. Well done that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Hmmmm. Pizza on aero positioned clubmate😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

ROK ON wrote: »
    Interpol - All the rage back home

Paul McLoone on Today fm is playing this tune all week. It's the best thing I have heard in a decade. Sounds like a lot of bands I listened to in the mid 80s.
    Class
    Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gx-byLqcIE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tickets on sale at 9am tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

daragh_ wrote: »
    Just saw a Roadie out for a spin with a bottle of Erdinger (Alcohol free) in his bottle cage. Well done that man.

Beer fail.

Not sure which thread this belongs in (bargain alert? images of beauty?)
    Canyon have released a limited run of 125 of the Ultimate CF to celebrate Mavic's 125th anniversary.

Comes with 11spd Ultegra and the Mavic Ksyrium 125 wheelset (which retails @ E1300)

Yours for E2700

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3524

ultimate-cf-sl-9-ltd-125.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

I think I am ready for clipless pedals but dont know what to look for.
    SPD or SPD SL. Will probably break my face regardless when I fall over but
    any suggestions on pedals and shoes greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement