Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SPD are probably more user friendly to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Might be better off starting on the ones you intend to use long term. I use SPD-SL and my friend uses SPD. My friend is thinking about changing to SPD-SL now.
    Might be worth a think about. Once you get used to it, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

tacklemore wrote: »
    Might be better off starting on the ones you intend to use long term. I use SPD-SL and my friend uses SPD. My friend is thinking about changing to SPD-SL now.

I agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

tacklemore wrote: »

Was kinda of the same thinking.
    I just don't know what to buy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

markkelly2 wrote: »
    I think I am ready for clipless pedals but dont know what to look for.
    SPD or SPD SL. Will probably break my face regardless when I fall over but
    any suggestions on pedals and shoes greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance:D

I went straight to SPD-SL's for the road. It really doesn't take long to get used to them. Once you get the first slow fall over and done with you'll be flying! The confidence in using them increases every time you head out in them.

I expect the next slow fall to come tomorrow morning after typing that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

I expect the next slow fall to come tomorrow morning after typing that![/QUOTE]

Hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

markkelly2 wrote: »
    Was kinda of the same thinking.
    I just don't know what to buy.

My advice is SPD-SL, purely because they're what I've had all along and my friend is thinking about changing to them. I found them strange at the start, and had a funny incident when I unclipped my right foot and leaned into the ditch on my left side. Going grand since though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I got the chance for a VIP Trip to Stage Three of the TdF

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZFAgjP

Should be some photos there of what I got up to !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I found SPD SLs easier with the weighted pedal making it easier to catch and click in, it felt more natural (to me), the spd push down felt like an effort and awkward but its a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I've only used SPD but I found them very easy to clip in from the start - being double sided is handy for that. The single sided SPD/Platform pedals on my commuter are also really easy to clip into too - with the flat side acting as a weight similarly to CramCycle's SPD-SL experience. So I'm sure that single sided SPD-SL would be very easy too.

Being able to walk in SPD like normal shoes was the decider for me.

I don't think that on the bike SPD or SPD-SL would really make much difference for me. Get some form of clipless anyway - they're great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've only used SPD and made the rookie mistake first time out of not loosening the bolts - first time i came to a stop i had to take my shoes off from a sitting position on the bike, in order to dismount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

carthoris wrote: »
    I have seen a cateye one which has a single sensor on the chainstay on the non-drive side, there is a magnet in the crank arm and another mounted on the rear wheel (same as the front wheel in normal speedos). This gives cadence and speed (and distance) without requiring significantly more cabling and it is reasonably priced at less than €50.

I have one of these. Does a fine job. I also use SportsTracker app on my phone for gps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Could have ended so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Jesus! And nobody stopped to help for several minutes! What assholes must live in Texas! (Except for the guy who finally did help.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Jesus! And nobody stopped to help for several minutes! What assholes must live in Texas! (Except for the guy who finally did help.)

think two guys stopped for him in end, texas does have reputation as a very un cycle friendly state, awful driving too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No. delighted to say, I missed the fight.

Awful excuse for a sport. Why a person would like to inflict bodily harm on another is beyond me. Do it on the street and you can arrested. Do it in a ring and you get paid. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Awful excuse for a sport. Why a person would like to inflict bodily harm on another is beyond me. Do it on the street and you can arrested. Do it in a ring and you get paid. Disgusting.

it's the ultimate sport, use your mind and body to beat your opponent. sport is just variations of 'peaceful war' anyway

• Advertisement

it's the ultimate sport, use your mind and body to beat your opponent. sport is just variations of 'peaceful war' anyway

Ah not quite. You are actively doing things that can handicap or kill someone. You are also 100% aware of what you are doing and how dangerous it is. It disgusts me TBH.

Surely the ultimate sport is one that challenges body and mind in a test of skill - cycling, paragliding, rock-climbing, hurling, soccer, table tennis…

Even those competitive sports where it's more a test of pharmaceuticals than of human body and mind skill fail on this count. Never mind a sport that consists of a couple of people or animals battering the tripes out of each other.

It's definitely the ultimate full contact sport. I was brought up in a very anti-boxing etc house and even though MMA disgust me and many levels, I still find it fascinating on many levels. There's a huge amount of tactics and skill involved, tremendous fitness (I share a gym with some fighters and they work really hard, harder than the body builders anyway). There's plenty of animals in it, but they're in every sport, then you get guys like Genki Sudo who had a great attitude and was genuinely intelligent and then oddly hesitant monsters like Uriah Hall who seems to empathise so much with opponents and holds back so much he loses matches.

In saying that, seeing a man astride another mercilessly pummelling him in the face kills my soul a little.

Oh, and the "fans"... Sheesh, Tap Out my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've nothing against seeing two people beat ten types of shíte out of each other.

The problem is that it's never the right two people.

Joan Burton and Mary Lou for instance, hitting each other right in the eyeball. That I would pay to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it's the ultimate sport, use your mind and body to beat your opponent...
    Strange then that it only seems to appeal to skangers and scobies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

To bate the head off him or not to bate the head off him, that is the bleedin' question.

Generalise much? No-one I know who watches it qualifies under those categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Ahh heeyor...

I'm not watching the UFC anymore, just one mention of it and all the Quares come outta the woodwork...dodgy imo

Lusk_Doyle coming to a 'coming out' thread near you soon... " It's Daahskostin' Dahlin' " :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ahh heeyor...

I'm not watching the UFC anymore, just one mention of it and all the Quares come outta the woodwork...dodgy imo

Lusk_Doyle coming to a 'coming out' thread near you soon... " It's Daahskostin' Dahlin' " :rolleyes:

Finding violence against other people abhorrent makes me gay somehow? Score one for ignorance.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Finding violence against other people abhorrent makes me gay somehow? Score one for ignorance.

I genuinely think he was being sarcastic?

I genuinely think he was being sarcastic?

Maybe. That McSavage clip has nothing funny about it though either.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys, can we leave the UFC "discussion" there please

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Guys, can we leave the UFC "discussion" there please
    Maybe the Joe thread needs a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_42. :D

Met our Tour de France star of 2025 in the park the other day. Little kid about the size of sixpence belting around on a two-wheeler, father following and occasionally shouting "Brakes!"
    Caught up with them on the way across the road with my dog, and said "Great little cyclist," and the da turned around and said "Day one!"
    "What? What age?"
    "He's five! He got on the bike yesterday about 5.30 and today he's been on it all day." This was about 11 in the morning. Incredible little kid.

• Advertisement

Met our Tour de France star of 2025 in the park the other day. Little kid about the size of sixpence belting around on a two-wheeler, father following and occasionally shouting "Brakes!"
    Caught up with them on the way across the road with my dog, and said "Great little cyclist," and the da turned around and said "Day one!"
    "What? What age?"
    "He's five! He got on the bike yesterday about 5.30 and today he's been on it all day." This was about 11 in the morning. Incredible little kid.

Definitely doping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I got my 2 yr old nephew a balance bike for his birthday on Saturday. He is glued to it ever since. He even insisted on the bike accompanying him to bed the last two nights.

lennymc wrote: »
    I got my 2 yr old nephew a balance bike for his birthday on Saturday. He is glued to it ever since. He even insisted on the bike accompanying him to bed the last two nights.

Remember my first bike, a blue BSA; used to bring it up to bed and prop it where I'd see it first thing when I opened my eyes. Most successful birthday present *ever*.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I'm lookng at getting some pedals and shoes for my road bike to replace the plastic ones that came with it.

As far as i can see i need to buy pedals with clips, I'm just wondering if i need to buy any specific pedals for my bike so they fit or will any pedals do?

I'm lookng at getting some pedals and shoes for my road bike to replace the plastic ones that came with it.

As far as i can see i need to buy pedals with clips, I'm just wondering if i need to buy any specific pedals for my bike so they fit or will any pedals do?

What bike is it, Greed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

What bike is it, Greed?

Hello. Its a Specialized Allez. I am not sure what year exactly as i purchased it second hand but I'm guessing 2012.

I just don't want to purchase the wrong/incorrect pedals if i can avoid it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mugser wrote: »

I have a set of these and I am very happy with them. Many thousands of trouble free km on them. They defo make me at least 2% faster and make a nice whooshing sound when I put down the power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Mugser wrote: »

look remarkably similar to the Campag Bullet 50 http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-bullet-50mm-wheelset.html but the bullets have teh 3g spoke thing happening on the back.
    Bullets a shade cheaper with free delivery (I think!!)from the link above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not suprising other teams hate sky

jaguar-f-type_625x300_41405943902.jpg
    Jaguar Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations has unveiled a one-off F-Type R Coupe, which has been developed as a support vehicle for Tour de France. The car has been created to support Team Sky, and will be seen during stage 20 of the 2014 Tour de France.

Stage 20 is when the riders cover a distance of 54 Km in a time trail event from Bergerac to Perigueux. This particular F-Type R Coupe has been fitted with a bespoke racking solution carrying two of the team's Pinarello Bolide TT bikes. The F-Type R Coupe replaces the XF Sportbake support vehicle only for this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Released 27 years ago today ....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Released 27 years ago today ....
    What had you done and how long did you serve?:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    What had you done and how long did you serve?:pac:

Crimes against cycling fashion, and I'm only out on licence......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

From the top deck of the bus this morning I saw some genius cycling on the M1 heading south past Dublin Airport. I wonder if he took the port tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

it's more a question as to what type of shoes and pedals do you want ?
    SPD type will go under a regular looking shoe and are easy walk in. Handy for commuting and you can get a combo pedal with a lock in an done side a nd a normal flat pedal on the other
    Look Keo (amongst others) are a more road racer orientated shoe but the cleats sit under the show and stick out so are a b1tch to walk in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement