Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wireless showing in Device Manager after re-install

Options
  • 11-10-2013 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a Medion Akoya Mini E1312 which until today had XP as the OS. I needed to do a clean install and noticed that the Medion site had all the drivers for it for Win7.

I installed 7 and all the drivers but I have no wireless, it's not even showing in the device manager. It was there and working just prior to the re-install and OS change from XP to Win7.

Wireless is enabled\Disabled on it via the Function Key +F8 and I have installed that software from the Medion site too.

Google throws up a few more seeking help with this issue but I don't see an answer to any of them.

I'm assuming it is not a hardware issue, so could it be a driver\utility issue?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have a Medion Akoya Mini E1312 which until today had XP as the OS. I needed to do a clean install and noticed that the Medion site had all the drivers for it for Win7.

I installed 7 and all the drivers but I have no wireless, it's not even showing in the device manager. It was there and working just prior to the re-install and OS change from XP to Win7.

Wireless is enabled\Disabled on it via the Function Key +F8 and I have installed that software from the Medion site too.

Google throws up a few more seeking help with this issue but I don't see an answer to any of them.

I'm assuming it is not a hardware issue, so could it be a driver\utility issue?
    I'd take a peek in the bios to make sure the onboard wifi adaptor is enabled, or the capability to switch it on/off via hotkey is. Also make sure you download the hotkey utility from the Medion site, this is necessary for all the fn keys to work.
    Fwiw nothing showing in device manager means that the OS isn't seeing the hardware at all in most cases

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Nothing whatsoever relating to wireless adapter in BIOS unfortunately.

I already had the function key software installed and it seems to work for everything. It even pops up the icon to show it is enabling the wireless but of course it's not actually.

I hate the thoughts of this, but, would there be any point in opening the mini and re-seating the w-card?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Nothing whatsoever relating to wireless adapter in BIOS unfortunately.

I already had the function key software installed and it seems to work for everything. It even pops up the icon to show it is enabling the wireless but of course it's not actually.

I hate the thoughts of this, but, would there be any point in opening the mini and re-seating the w-card?

Have the device manager window open and press the fn wifi combination. See if it detects new hardware even momentarily. If not it could be a hardware issue, or the hotkey driver could be faulty would be my guessing. Could you try the Vista hotkey driver and see if it helps? It may be different to the Windows 7 one

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

are there any unknown devices listed in device manager?

wexie wrote: »
    are there any unknown devices listed in device manager?

No, everything is sweet that way.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Could you try the Vista hotkey driver and see if it helps? It may be different to the Windows 7 oneNick

I will do that, sure when your backs to the wall anything is worth a shot :D

It wouldn't allow the Vista one to be installed, said it was unsupported.

Going on other Medion users experiencing exactly the same issue after a re-install lends me to think it's not a hardware fault & I'm saying that because I really don't want to have to rip this little fecker open :P

Me feels a Mini USB Wireless N adapter coming on :D

It wouldn't allow the Vista one to be installed, said it was unsupported.

Going on other Medion users experiencing exactly the same issue after a re-install lends me to think it's not a hardware fault & I'm saying that because I really don't want to have to rip this little fecker open :P

Me feels a Mini USB Wireless N adapter coming on :D

Try compatability mode on the Vista driver setup.exe for Vista SP2 :);)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Try the RTL8192SE WHQL driver for Windows 7.
    All you need is the following 3 files from the folder 91_92_SE_Driver\Win7X86:

net8192se.cat
    rtl8192se.sys
    net8192se.inf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

You could try to run Everest Free edition (Not reliable on newer motherboards, but, on a board designed to support XP it should work fine...)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/everest_free_edition.html

This will identify the hardware connected to your system (under Network Controllers etc..).

You could then download the needed drivers from the relevant site...

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Try compatability mode on the Vista driver setup.exe for Vista SP2 :);)

Nick

Not having any of it yoyo, still saying not compatible.

I know there is only one version of it that I can see, but, I wonder if the problem could be the FKey utility, that it is not actually turning on the WiFi even though the icon pops up to suggest it is?

Very, very close to that Mini Wireless N USB adapter now!!! :D

Advertisement