Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 31), October 12-13, 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Huge win for Bray. Wouldn't like to be a Shels fan right now.

Me neither...but I still won't turn my back on Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Poor fcuker in a blond wig in the Pats stand went bonkers after the second goal and fell and whacked his back. Last seen stumbling out of the ground with the guards helping him up the stairs.

Pats playing well after a nervy start. Sligo really bad last half an hour. Fair play to Pats. Worthy champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd be lying if I was to say I didn't have a tear in my eye when I got a text off one of my mates saying Limerick were losing, then the next text was they were down to 10 men. Last time I go into town before the end of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gimmick wrote: »
    Bray have Bohs and Dundalk and a 3 point advantage. Shells have Limerick and Ucd and a slightly better gd. Shells will prob need to win both to stay up I'd say?

sea-shells-photo346346.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Absolutely buzzing with that result. Just to avoid automatic drop would be amazing. Cant see us catching UCD though cos of goal difference now, but bit more confident of taking Mervue or Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Congrats to Pats and all the fans, great achievement and well deserved, look forward to playing yee next year!

Congrats to St.Pats from me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best team won the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Yeah congrats to the junkies. Deserved champs....was goin to say chumps...but I'd only be a dick head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done Pats, best team I saw play this season and deserved title.

Hopefully they will now take their foot off the gas v Derry in the next game to allow us to hold on to 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Congratulations to everybody involved with St. Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Congrats to St Pats, if Sligo Rovers weren't going to retain the title then I am glad Pats have won it. Great footballing team and great supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Fair play to Pats. Deserved champions and no really unlikeable players (Bolger aside).

So disappointing, we lost or drew games this season that we would have won last year.

Still, I'll take 2nd place and and a 3rd Cup in 4 years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Congratulation Pats!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Me neither...but I still won't turn my back on Shels.

Fair play. I sympathise, we looked dead and buried a few weeks ago.

We'll be going out to beat Bray next week. If you get 3 points against Limerick then you should give yourselves a good chance in the final game.

Congrats to Pats, they deserved to win it. I'm happy for Buckley too, he has a good approach to the game.

• Advertisement

Fair play. I sympathise, we looked dead and buried a few weeks ago.

We'll be going out to beat Bray next week. If you get 3 points against Limerick then you should give yourselves a good chance in the final game.

Congrats to Pats, they deserved to win it. I'm happy for Buckley too, he has a good approach to the game.

A good chance to reach the relegation play offs, but that's all, I can ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Congrats St Pats. The league table never lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Congrats to Pats. I didn't expect us to win it, but it was Shams I expected to see at the top, not Pats :o.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

oldyouth wrote: »
    Congrats St Pats. The league table never lies

We finished level on points with Rovers a couple of years ago. Lost the league by 2 goals. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No complaints. We haven't been anywhere near good enough to win the league this year. Congrats to Pats, best team over the course of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fair play to Pats, probably best team we played at the Cross this season. 13 games unbeaten doesn't lie.

Almost a completely respectable team except for Bolger :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah congrats to the junkies. Deserved champs....was goin to say chumps...but I'd only be a dick head

:pac:

It's fair to say they deserve the league this year. They are a good footballing side.
    Enjoy the win.
    Comhghairdeas

Shels in serious trouble now and it would be a pity to see them going down - if I'm honest, love playing them.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :pac:

It's fair to say they deserve the league this year. They are a good footballing side.
    Enjoy the win.
    Comhghairdeas

Shels in serious trouble now and it would be a pity to see them going down - if I'm honest, love playing them.

Shels were always in trouble, since a certain manager was not shown the door earlier :rolleyes:

But it's always nice to see, how much Shels are liked, we have nice stewards down in Tolka :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To celebrate Athlone's season I've decided to share this video.

Was done a few weeks ago at training.

The first team did a "crossbar challenge", someone hit the crossbar, can ya guess who?

Video here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Delighted to see pats win the league , the stats back them as champions . Miss watching them since moving to Wexford , first saw them playing 50 years ago when I moved to Inchicore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Haapy to see Pats have won it.

They still can't win the cup though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Well done Pat's! Deserved champions. Played nice football all season.
    I thought in the first 30 mins yesterday we could prolong our weak grasp on the title for another while, but Bolgers goal was a goal to win any league with. No complaints over the full season.
    Enjoy for now, but we'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Well done pats. Consistently good through the year (aside from that 3-0 at Tallaght but they got us back for that) and a good approach to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Delighted that we won the league. Still buzzing a day later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The FAI realy are a laughing stock.Relegation threatened sides will be shouting for Mervue.
    Enda Cunningham
    @endacunningham
    FAI reiterate Mervue Utd will not compete in either division of LoI next season despite qualifying for play-offs. See Sentinel tmrw.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/389815506255228928

The tweet has prompted somewhat of an angry response on Twitter.Mervues Tom King leading the charge.
    Tom King ‏@tomkingston29
    FAI!!! Why bother having rules when you clearly bend them to suit your own agenda??? #Clueless]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The FAI realy are a laughing stock.Relegation threatened sides will be shouting for Mervue.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/389815506255228928

The tweet has prompted somewhat of an angry response on Twitter.Mervues Tom King leading the charge.

It's a joke really.

Another magical escape for Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As awful as that is, this isn't new news is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Crazy to change the rules on the fly. Huge achievement from Mervue to come from junior football to this point in the space of a few years, but at the end of the day, there isn't room for 2 or 3 teams from Galway. Could be short term pain for long term gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Neil Yadolahi going all Maradona for Bohs 92nd min equaliser V DundalkFC in Dalymount park on Saturday night. ;)

1376369_626229617428652_1813201199_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a joke really.

Another magical escape for Bray.

Regardless of the Galway 3 club problem, Bray cannot ever be relegated, I'm pretty sure it's in UEFAs regulations or something.

dfx- wrote: »
    Regardless of the Galway 3 club problem, Bray cannot ever be relegated, I'm pretty sure it's in UEFAs regulations or something.

I'll take that right now!

Bit of a horrible situation for the players to be in. They'll prob win that playoff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Its not like the FAI don't have history of picking and choosing teams. Merit doesn't seem to come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm lost.

Mervue will play Longford in the first part of the play off still, yes?

And if they win promotion, they do not get promoted?

I'm lost.

Mervue will play Longford in the first part of the play off still, yes?

And if they win promotion, they do not get promoted?

Not only will they not get promoted, they won't be back in the first division either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

But we all knew that they were not going to be around next year anyway, no?

Would it not be better to give the play off spot to Waterford in that regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Would it not be better to give the play off spot to Waterford in that regard?
    iv always been more of a fan of clubs earning their place, waterford didnt (not that merit matters a whole lot in the league)

i wonder are mervue reconsidering their position in the new galway? (or were they just forced into it and now have some leverage/publicity)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Even if Mervue won the playoffs and got promoted and stayed in the league, they'd on;y have 50 people at their games an would be bust by the mid season break.

They are a junior club with a junior clubs support base, trying to carry on as a semi-professional set-up is stupid.

They decided to pull out of the league for a good reason, they should realise that reason won't change and just stick to it.

That was my understanding too but the FAI shouldn't be coming out with this sort of stuff at this stage of the season. Just wait until its over.

And if Mervue want to continue in the league they should be allowed to so long as they meet licensing requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

dan1895 wrote: »
    That was my understanding too but the FAI shouldn't be coming out with this sort of stuff at this stage of the season. Just wait until its over.

And if Mervue want to continue in the league they should be allowed to so long as they meet licensing requirements.
    i disagree on the first point, they should be informing clubs of the structure of the league before now even, the amount of teams, therefore games (nevermind divisions) etc has a massive impact on clubs budgeting. clubs will already be looking into signing players etc, especially in D1 which is already finished

agreed on the second though, like it or not, mervue are where they are now due to their on pitch performance, the earned their place in the league through the A championship and playoff v Kildare County. They may have crap support but have lived within their means, and put a (amateur?) product on the pitch which has made a mockery of more traditional clubs like waterford & harps. clubs shouldnt be discredited for that.

also quick question, did mervue actually decide to pull out or were they told your out but you can have a seat at the Galway FC table?

overshoot wrote: »
    i disagree on the first point, they should be informing clubs of the structure of the league before now even, the amount of teams, therefore games (nevermind divisions) etc has a massive impact on clubs budgeting. clubs will already be looking into signing players etc, especially in D1 which is already finished?

See what your saying. I think the format should be known a full year in advance so all clubs know what they're playing for and budget accordingly. But this is the FAI and foresight isn't exactly one of their strong points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Goodbye Shels. It'd take a miracle (or weird FAI decision) to save them now.

Of course weird FAI decisions aren't exactly a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

A weird FAI decision that benefits Shels?

Oh boy that's a huge result. I'm gonna be on edge all day Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tough for Shels.

I'm gutted, good night :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement