Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenderme.ie or Tradesmen.ie??

Options
  • 11-10-2013 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, has anyone used either Tenderme.ie or Tradesmen.ie?? If so which do you think is better? I'm looking to get a wooden fence in my garden fixed - its falling down in the middle and I think the post is broken. I've had people in to do other jobs around the house and I'm tired of throwing good money after bad on Cowboys!!:mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

ellie1511 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone used either Tenderme.ie or Tradesmen.ie?? If so which do you think is better? I'm looking to get a wooden fence in my garden fixed - its falling down in the middle and I think the post is broken. I've had people in to do other jobs around the house and I'm tired of throwing good money after bad on Cowboys!!:mad:

Haven't used either but I'm a registered tradesman on onlinetradesmen.ie . This site requires Certs and insurance from its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bern DIY

I wouldn't bother, I requested a quote for cavity wall insulation and have never heard anything since. They have no email address or phone number on the site so the only way to contact them is to write to the addresss....what a waste of time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I cant speak specifically about the site you mentioned, as I have no experience of them.

But I have experience of similar sites. And requiring the participants to have insurance ect,

is, unfortunately no guarantee that you will get a 100% proper job.

The only way to guarantee that the person you chose is 100 % capable of doing the job,

is to personally vet his work with at least 3 previous jobs he has done, and meet the people.

Its the only surefire way to minimise your risk.

And,

Please dont get me started on the guild of master craftsmen cert............

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

kadman wrote: »
    I cant speak specifically about the site you mentioned, as I have no experience of them.

But I have experience of similar sites. And requiring the participants to have insurance ect,

is, unfortunately no guarantee that you will get a 100% proper job.

The only way to guarantee that the person you chose is 100 % capable of doing the job,

is to personally vet his work with at least 3 previous jobs he has done, and meet the people.

Its the only surefire way to minimise your risk.

And,

Please dont get me started on the guild of master craftsmen cert............
    Your 100% right there the amount of jobs i have fixed after these so called tradesmen
    Whats the guild of craftsmen

Guild of master craftsman badge was plastered on every van heading to Dublin,
    back in the day of the Celtic tiger.

Guild of Master Craftsmen.

Once you paid some dues to this crowd, you got a welcome pack of lovely stickers
    to stick on your van, toolboxes, invoices, ect,ect,ect.

Glitzy bling bling, that gave poor suckers, er I mean customers the illusion that the
    bearer of said stickers was a Master Craftsman.

In many/most cases nothing could be further than the truth.

Prospective members of this Master craftsman group, only had to pay a yearly subscription
    to join. There was no vetting at all by this so called professional body on prospective members.

Major illusion less the smoke and mirrors, just stickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

kadman wrote: »
    Guild of master craftsman badge was plastered on every van heading to Dublin,
    back in the day of the Celtic tiger.

Guild of Master Craftsmen.

Once you paid some dues to this crowd, you got a welcome pack of lovely stickers
    to stick on your van, toolboxes, invoices, ect,ect,ect.

Glitzy bling bling, that gave poor suckers, er I mean customers the illusion that the
    bearer of said stickers was a Master Craftsman.

In many/most cases nothing could be further than the truth.

Prospective members of this Master craftsman group, only had to pay a yearly subscription
    to join. There was no vetting at all by this so called professional body on prospective members.

Major illusion less the smoke and mirrors, just stickers.

It'd be great if there was such a scheme for craftspeople to advertise the fact that they are a cut above the average woodbutcher pipestrangler mucspreader ect ect...
    But like all these guilds it's just a money making racket
    The only way truly to find any one off quality is by word of mouth really .
    I'm increasingly surprised by the amount of people I come across that don't know of anyone with a trade even through family and friends ,they're at a loss to find any one to do craft based work .
    I suppose that's what happens when there's 10 years of no one taking up a trade and those capable of passing on the knowledge have retired.
    My 2 cents .

I,m often bewildered by the new method of training inductees into the craft.

It seems that the previous method of years of training by being apprenticed

to a master in his craft, can now be done by a 6 month stint in the local college,

and suddenly you are a roofer, and can be safely let lose on society as such,

with little or no on site real time experience.... but a recognised cert in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

ellie1511 wrote: »

I've used tradesmen.ie a few times. I think its excellent.

Never heard of tenderme.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

all those sites are just a scam . basically the tradesman is buying the lead and has to pay stupid amounts of money to look at the job.
    its crazy that these things are even around.

if the customer had to pay directly it would work much better. the way it is now is that loads of people put up jobs with stupidly low prices expected or no intention of doing the job. if they had to pay to mess someone around the whole thing would work a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

all those sites are just a scam . basically the tradesman is buying the lead and has to pay stupid amounts of money to look at the job.

if the customer had to pay directly it would work much better. the way it is now is that loads of people put up jobs with stupidly low prices expected or no intention of doing the job. if they had to pay to mess someone around the whole thing would work a lot better

What on earth are you babbling about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

daveyeh wrote: »

Do you know how these sites work. . Try to find out. Total scam sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

daveyeh wrote: »
    Do you know how these sites work. . Try to find out. Total scam sites.

I suppose it's seen as a form of advertising that you pay for and then there's a commission charge on the value of work undertaken
    Daveyea was probably one of the lucky ones that got someone decent

I think the discussion here is that there's no way of verifying a tradespersons credentials as all the members groups available to the gen public are based on making money through membership so it's quanity over quality of members every time.

Advertisement