Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outstanding rent, landlord contacts me a year later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

djimi wrote: »
    You really have created this situaiton for yourself to be honest. Its up to you to find out who the landlord is and who you are supposed to be paying rent to. Its not up to the other tenants to tell you to hold off on paying rent; it has to be paid to someone so its up to you to find out the whole story. I think you can count yourself lucky that you are not living in the country as they wont bother looking for you, but the whole tenancy wasnt handled well, by anyone involved.

Fair enough, but the landlord should be aware of when tennants are coming and going and that all of the relevent documentation is being produced and signed off - eg lease agreements, PTSB documents etc.

Both sides are at fault here imo, but moreso the landlord, and deffo for not responding reasonably to the OP's request for proof of identity and a contract - I mean, who the hell is going to just fork over a grand without batting an eyelid to a total stranger who contacted them by email??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You don't need a written contract to rent in Ireland. There is a contract just not written.

If he doesn't pay it is exactly the same as theft.

What the supposed landlord is doing is exactly the same as extortion. (See how this works?)

And what if the OP tells him that the agreed rental rate was €1 per month, and that he only owes €2? Who is this supposed landlord to say that it wasn't, he wasn't party to the original agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What the supposed landlord is doing is exactly the same as extortion. (See how this works?)

And what if the OP tells him that the agreed rental rate was €1 per month, and that he only owes €2? Who is this supposed landlord to say that it wasn't, he wasn't party to the original agreement.

How is it anyway extortion? The OP did live there and didn't pay. So stole a service. Do you really think anybody would believe it was €1 to stay there?

You are making up stuff and outlandish possibilities.

The OP owes the money and admits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

But she doesn't know to whom she owes the money. There was a change of ownership during the period, and the person emailing her has refused to provide information to verify their ownership during the relevant period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

You don't need a written contract to rent in Ireland. There is a contract just not written.

If he doesn't pay it is exactly the same as theft.

You tell him Ray. Yes OP you're a big thief :p:p

I love the way Landlord Ray always appears on these threads championing the rights of poor landlords against thieving tenants.

The fact is the landlord was a complete idiot in not ensuring rent was being paid by tenants. He can't come looking for rent a year later. No court in Europe would back him up. Yopu'd be mad in the head to even consider paying this OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

How is it anyway extortion? The OP did live there and didn't pay. So stole a service. Do you really think anybody would believe it was €1 to stay there?

You are making up stuff and outlandish possibilities.

Over a year is far too long to leave collecting rent especially since they were there for only two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Just stop replying. Your in a different country and nothing will happen.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Over a year is far too long to leave collecting rent especially since they were there for only two months.

Still not extortion. The length of time they stayed means nothing they still owe. The LL could easily be trying to get the information of the original owner and it could take a year. The fact taxes have to be in soon is the most likely reason it has come up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Are you seriously saying the OP should hand over a grand based on nothing more than an email demanding it? She has no proof that this guy is the landlord.

How does the OP know its not one of the tenants with knowledge of the situation pulling a scam?

You post some embarrassing rubbish on here Ray, if every landlord carried on with your nonsense we'd all have to emigrate. Or worse, buy a house.

But she doesn't know to whom she owes the money. There was a change of ownership during the period, and the person emailing her has refused to provide information to verify their ownership during the relevant period.

Establishing the owner is reasonable asking for a contract is not! That is what the OP asked for not proof of ownership.

People here are advocating not paying at all. That is not a morally grey area or questionable issue it is simply wrong and illegal. Amazing how if this was a deposit people would be going on about how the LL should be hung drawn and quartered no matter the length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 market_garden

By law the new landlord should have the tenancy registered with the PTRB. It would be worth asking to see this tenancy agreement and check when it commenced. If it began after the OP left the property then the new landlord has no basis to suddenly turn up looking for outstanding rent due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Amazing how if this was a deposit people would be going on about how the LL should be hung drawn and quartered no matter the length of time.

Not if the tenant was such an idiot that they handed over a deposit without asking for a receipt of any kind and only came looking for it back a year after they'd left a property. I think most posters on here would be telling the tenant hard luck in that case.

Establishing the owner is reasonable asking for a contract is not! That is what the OP asked for not proof of ownership.

People here are advocating not paying at all. That is not a morally grey area or questionable issue it is simply wrong and illegal. Amazing how if this was a deposit people would be going on about how the LL should be hung drawn and quartered no matter the length of time.

It should have been settled when they moved out. The whole find a replacement is a redflag for the landlords involvement in the property. The person leaving might take anyone if stuck and they want their deposit back.

It should have been settled when they moved out. The whole find a replacement is a redflag for the landlords involvement in the property. The person leaving might take anyone if stuck and they want their deposit back.
    You did get the bit about the house changing owners at the time. The current LL probably had no idea what was going on as it was meant to be managed by the previous LL who obviously didn't keep things in order

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

After 12 months of no contact and him refusing to give you reasonable details and that you are from abroad I would not be handing over 1000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

For all the OP knows, this could be a tenant of the house looking to make a quick buck. They have absolutely no proof of who this person is so why hand over any amount of money to someone who won't prove who they are.

If it really is the landlord he should have no issue proving that he owned the property at the time.

My gut instinct is that it is him, but that the property wasn't in his name at the time but that he is hoping the tenants are dumb enough to fall for it.

You did get the bit about the house changing owners at the time. The current LL probably had no idea what was going on as it was meant to be managed by the previous LL who obviously didn't keep things in order

So it took him a year to find this out and act. Thats far too long to leave the situation.

So it took him a year to find this out and act. Thats far too long to leave the situation.
    It could easily have taken a year for the other LL to give him the details is what I am saying. No fault of the current LL at all.

OP still owes the money it doesn't really matter it has taken a year.

Assuming it is actually the LL what reason does the OP to not pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If the new LL didn't take over the property until after the OP's tenancy was over; in which case it's a scam. As the OP has written it - and it's a little vague - it would appear that the new LL (running with your assumption) is unwillling to prove they are who they claim, which also doesn't do their credibility any favours.

It could easily have taken a year for the other LL to give him the details is what I am saying. No fault of the current LL at all.

OP still owes the money it doesn't really matter it has taken a year.

Sorry but a year is an unacceptable amount of time and this person only lived there for two months.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    If the new LL didn't take over the property until after the OP's tenancy was over; in which case it's a scam. As the OP has written it - and it's a little vague - it would appear that the new LL (running with your assumption) is unwillling to prove they are who they claim, which also doesn't do their credibility any favours.

The OP asked for a contract not a proof of ownership. The new LL refused a contract nothing more. People are making up the rest
    Sorry but a year is an unacceptable amount of time and this person only lived there for two months.

Not by law in this country or the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The OP asked for a contract not a proof of ownership. The new LL refused a contract nothing more. People are making up the rest

She said:

"I told him in the email I am happy to pay, but since I never met him, and this has all been 12 months back, I don't really have proof that he is the owner, so I would require a full contract, PPS number, name address of him and his property"

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Legally, there is no contract so legally you do not owe any money.
    No solicitor would take this on as there is no contract.
    If it went to court it would be thrown out as there is no contract, it would never get that far anyway.
    You should ask for his solicitors details so you can discuss payment options with the solicitor.

Rainer

She said:

"I told him in the email I am happy to pay, but since I never met him, and this has all been 12 months back, I don't really have proof that he is the owner, so I would require a full contract, PPS number, name address of him and his property"

Yes. Not asking for proof of ownership but a contract

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You wouldn't happen to be this unfortunate landlord Ray Palmer? :pac:

I don't care whether or not he is, or is not.
    You're getting a 3 day posting ban.
    When you come back- you might like to read the forum charter.
    I'd also emphasise the bit about attacking the post- and not the poster- and remaining civil towards one another.

Regards,

The_Conductor.

Legally, there is no contract so legally you do not owe any money.
    No solicitor would take this on as there is no contract.
    If it went to court it would be thrown out as there is no contract, it would never get that far anyway.
    You should ask for his solicitors details so you can discuss payment options with the solicitor.

Rainer

You do realise the OP has acknowledged they lived there to this person now. A verbal contract stand in rental here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Everyone-

Remain civil towards one another.
    If you disagree with another person's point of view- refute their post, without attacking them personally.
    If you don't want to refute their post- and you have an issue with it- report the post- bring it to our attention- and Victor or myself will deal with it.

We have a forum charter (which also has some very useful links in it)- which is a basic set of ground rules for posting in this forum. If you're not willing to adhere to the rules- don't post here- simple as.

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You do realise the OP has acknowledged they lived there to this person now. A verbal contract stand in rental here.

You don't know what you are talking about.

There is no more a verbal contract here than the OP has with us for telling us all that she lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Assuming this person is actually the landlord. Maybe the OP should pay just in case he is the landlord? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭limerick85

try the prtb.ie website.they have some good info there but not sure if they could help you if you contacted them as you probably weren't registered with them.
    the right thing to do would be to pay your way,but its a dog eat dog world these days and i wouldn't be giving him the steam off my p*ss

Advertisement