Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Sennheiser Overear headphones?

• 11-10-2013 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am a complete novice at this headphone area but want to get my Bf a pair for his birthday.
    He is mad for a pair of Sennheiser, has anyone any models they can recommend in the 200-250 euro mark.
    All options greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Hey dids

Your bf is a lucky man.

The momentums are very populkar at the moment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphones-Blue/dp/B00D77U9JK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381498930&sr=1-2&keywords=Sennheiser)

The other pair id recomend looking at are the 598s (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381498930&sr=1-20&keywords=Sennheiser)

Please note the 598s are open (meaning that more sounds leaks out of them) whereas the Momentums are closed (less sound leaks).

I prefer the 598s myself but it depends on where your bf will use the headphones (opens arent great if you sit close to others in the office as they will be able to hear what you are listening to).

You can probably try both out in Currys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

Thanks a million for that, it's funny I had spotted the 598's and was taken with them! The others I had been looking at were the HD 380's as they are collapsible!
    He wouldn't be using them in the office or on public transport or anything like that really so that's not a major thing. I really like the aesthetics of the 598's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I've recently got the 598s and whilst they're very good they do have one or two things that I don't like mostly due to the cable/adaptor.

The cable feels cheap and let's down the rest of the headphone IMO, it's very similar to €40 sennheiser hd435 but comes with a special locking mechanism which means it's not easily interchangeable. It also has a 6.35mm jack rather than the more common 3.5mm jack and although it comes with a 3.5mm adaptor, the long 6.35 jack and adaptor is definitely on the big side meaning that it's not really portable.

The rest of the headphone is great, but it's just something to keep in mind if your considering them. I think I might end up getting a replacement cable and try my hand at changing the jack on it from a 6.35mm to a 3.5mm, shortening the cable length and get a better matching cable sleeve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

HD-25-ii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Modding a Sennheiser 555 to 595 specs in 15 mins.

Sennheiser Momemtum (on-ear) can be tried out in Tower Records Dublin IIRC, and Arnott's have a few more Sennheiser models to test.

HD-25-ii is pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I love the HD-25ii, have had them for years - only downside I would say I have found is that they can get a bit tight on the ears after extended use - they clamp the head somewhat as they are designed for pro use. The Momentum are on my list to eventually get a set for general music listening, might be more suited for general use.

Advertisement