Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about applying to the CAO?

Options
  • 11-10-2013 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I will be applying to the CAO when it opens for Sept. 2014. I have a few different nursing courses that I want to put down.

I understand that all of my choices have to be submitted before Feb 1st 2014 but it seems the Change of Mind facility is open to matures thereafter for 're-order of preferences only'.

I was under the impression that there wasn't an 'order of preference' system for matures, am I wrong in this?

I was told to put down as many nursing courses as possible to save being disappointed but I don't know between two, I don't know which of them to put first if I have to.

I just presumed that you sat the NCC Written Assessment and based on your score you were offered all/some/none of your choices based on the score and that you would then have the option to pick which one you wanted at that stage. So the decision is made in mid-June rather than the end of January.

Can anyone clarify?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Hi again. When you apply you must select one or more mature code nursing courses in order to be called for assessment. Applications close on 1 February. You sit the test in April and get the results in June. When the change of mind facility opens (sometime in May and closes early July) you can reorder your preferences and add/remove mature code nursing courses provided you have sat the assessment. So you can reorder/change your course choices after you know your result.

There is an order of preference on the cao for mature students. It's very important that you order your choices in the order you want them and not in the order that you think you are most likely to get an offer etc. This is really important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

WildRosie wrote: »
    Hi again. When you apply you must select one or more mature code nursing courses in order to be called for assessment. Applications close on 1 February. You sit the test in April and get the results in June. When the change of mind facility opens (sometime in May and closes early July) you can reorder your preferences and add/remove mature code nursing courses provided you have sat the assessment. So you can reorder/change your course choices after you know your result.

There is an order of preference on the cao for mature students. It's very important that you order your choices in the order you want them and not in the order that you think you are most likely to get an offer etc. This is really important.

Thanks for getting back to WildRosie, I didn't realise this at all. So basically if I put UCD down as my first choice and I get it then I'm stuck with it - if I change my mind and want to attend Sligo and it was my number 2 then I can't is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks for getting back to WildRosie, I didn't realise this at all. So basically if I put UCD down as my first choice and I get it then I'm stuck with it - if I change my mind and want to attend Sligo and it was my number 2 then I can't is that right?

Yes, you can only move up your course choices, not down, so for example if you are offered your 2nd choice you are removed from consideration for all choices below that. If a place becomes available in your 1st choice you will be offered that even if you have already accepted your 2nd choice.

Advertisement