Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting a Wi-Fi signal where modem is far away...?

• 11-10-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to do this?

I'm with UPC.

The modem is in an upstairs front bedroom/study where it is connected by cable to two computers.

Downstairs, at the back of the house, I have a stereo system that has wi-fi radio. The reception is very inconsistent.

The entire house is wired for CAT5 with sockets in every room.

Can I plug something into the CAT5 socket in the room with the stereo to boost the wifi signal in that room? (and before you ask, it's not possible to move the stereo next to the socket and connect it via cable :P)

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

You could use a second wireless router to act as a wireless extender. Assign a non conflicting ip address to the router, turn off dhcp and firewall, set up an ssid and configure security, plug an ethernet cable between a lan port on the second router and a lan port on your UPC router.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

you could try this
    5574815371525561.JPG?0.7017948711016538

i've done something like that before with my wii and it worked. mine didn't look so good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I use Apple's Airport Express to extend my network, will plug into a socket in the room with your wifi radio which will extend the wirless network to that room and a larger area around that part of the house also, it has an ethernet port too which you can use to plug a patch lead into your radio if it has an ethernet port too as another option.

It also has a 3.5mm audio jack which you can use to connect to an audio 'in' port on your wifi radio (if it has one) with which you can stream any of your itunes music from an iPhone, PC, Ipad etc wirelessly from anywhere in the house via airplay to your radio/Speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The best option is a pair of home plugs and a second wifi router. Range extenders use half their signal for re-transmit. You can also buy a home-plug with built in wifi which might be perfect in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Easily sorted, CAT5 from UPC router into port on the wall and down to where your stereo is, CAT5 to a TP-Link Wall Extender €34.99 from Argos.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627/Trail/searchtext%3ETP-LINK.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

The best option is a pair of home plugs and a second wifi router. Range extenders use half their signal for re-transmit. You can also buy a home-plug with built in wifi which might be perfect in this case.

Would this otion work to boost the wifi signal from an office on the side of a house with its own separate electic circuit to the electric circuit of the house? I was thinking about buying those plug in boosters and and plugging one into the house circuit on the other side of the wall from the office circuit and its router. I'm hoping to plug the second plug into the part of the house the signal doesn't reach and relay yhe signal from the office router though to the plug and on to the next one in the wifi dead spot. What do you think?

Would this otion work to boost the wifi signal from an office on the side of a house with its own separate electic circuit to the electric circuit of the house? I was thinking about buying those plug in boosters and and plugging one into the house circuit on the other side of the wall from the office circuit and its router. I'm hoping to plug the second plug into the part of the house the signal doesn't reach and relay yhe signal from the office router though to the plug and on to the next one in the wifi dead spot. What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

imokyrok wrote: »

Probably not. The homeplugs must all be in the same ciurcuit,i.e. the same fusebox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

There are wifi homeplugs, that you can use to extend signal. Best of the both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Why the recommendations for homeplugs, the OP says he is wired for CAT5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dam099 wrote: »
    Why the recommendations for homeplugs, the OP says he is wired for CAT5?

CAT5 with another wifi router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, there is CAT5 in the room where the wifi radio is located. But, they are too far apart to connect directly by cable.

So, I will have to go for a signal boosting solution. However, I don't want to go for a second router solution as it would look unsightly in the room, particularly given the location of the CAT5 socket. (The main router is in my upstairs office)

Advertsfox mentioned this above..... http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627/Trail/searchtext%3ETP-LINK.htm

I'm just unclear as to how it works, and in particular how its connected.

Do you have to connect it to the CAT5 socket in the room?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »

Advertsfox mentioned this above..... http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627/Trail/searchtext%3ETP-LINK.htm

I'm just unclear as to how it works, and in particular how its connected.

Do you have to connect it to the CAT5 socket in the room?

Thanks.

D.

No Cat5 connection necessary. This works by 'capturing' existing wifi signal and then boosting that signal to get greater wi-fi coverage. The key here that it HAS to be placed in range of the existing wi-fi signal.

range%20extender(1).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Couldn't you use a Travel Router? only €20 in Argos.

Hoagy wrote: »
    Couldn't you use a Travel Router? only €20 in Argos.

OP doesn't want a 2nd router solution as previously stated, but something that small and cheap should work well.

Cheers degsie,

So, how does it capture my signal and not that of the neighbours either side of me?

Is there some way of inputting my UPC password so that it only boosts mine?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Cheers degsie,

So, how does it capture my signal and not that of the neighbours either side of me?

Is there some way of inputting my UPC password so that it only boosts mine?

Thanks.

D.

It should have a method of scanning for your current wireless SSID, no need for UPC credentials. Head over to TP-Link website and look at install guides for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Can the stereo use an Ethernet connection? If it can then maybe home plugs are the answer as presumably the stereo will be by a power socket?

• Advertisement

raymix wrote: »
    There are wifi homeplugs, that you can use to extend signal. Best of the both worlds.

I bought the Netgear universal wifi range extender today in pc world for €60 and it works like a dream. No more dead spot so thanks.

Last night UPC told me to turn off the router for two minutes and then restart it, when it would download and install any necessary updates automatically - apparently, it had been on continuously for about 2 months.

Been running like a train since.

Fingers crossed!

D.

Advertisement