Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing my RoSPA next week - looking for tips & advice !

• 11-10-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I've finally got around to applying for, and getting extra training in, for my RoSPA test next week. Have another session of training booked before it as well.

Looking for advice and tips from anyone who's been down that road (sic :p ), and what to look for/concentrate on etc.

My test is in Templemore, so any advice on roads in the area appreciated too.

And, it's early in the a.m., so thinking about going down the night before, as it's a long enough spin from Galway to get there as it is (especially when we can't predict the weather). Getting wet I don't mind, but if I've already spent 1.5 hrs getting wet before we start I might !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Get a copy of the Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling. This gives you a lot of what is considered advance driving techniques.

If you want, there's one on the shelf in Portumna Public Library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've done it with 3 retests now. I don't know the roads there, but I didn't know the roads for my tests either. It's 90 minutes of driving, you're going to make a mistake or two, the test is about how you handle them.
    Relax, be smooth, and be as observant as possible.
    Make a decision about a maneuver and be prepared to back up your decision. I overtook a 88 kmpher on a 100 road and got caught when she accelerated for example. I just finished my overtake but broke the speed limit. In theory I should have slowed and reset my overtake, but I knew why I did what I did.
    Any questions just ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Get a copy of the Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling. This gives you a lot of what is considered advance driving techniques.

If you want, there's one on the shelf in Portumna Public Library.

Thanks - have that, well-thumbed - but always going back to it !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Idleater wrote: »
    I've done it with 3 retests now. I don't know the roads there, but I didn't know the roads for my tests either. It's 90 minutes of driving, you're going to make a mistake or two, the test is about how you handle them.
    Relax, be smooth, and be as observant as possible.
    Make a decision about a maneuver and be prepared to back up your decision. I overtook a 88 kmpher on a 100 road and got caught when she accelerated for example. I just finished my overtake but broke the speed limit. In theory I should have slowed and reset my overtake, but I knew why I did what I did.
    Any questions just ask

Tks - do they use radios/earpieces, or how do you know the route/instructions ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tks - do they use radios/earpieces, or how do you know the route/instructions ?

Don't think that they use radio. The gist of the route is explained and after that you watch the examiner's bike for indicators.

Seriously, don't worry about knowing or practicing the route, the whole idea of the test is how you drive in general not how well you can do a particular course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The Irish RoSPA group: http://www.rospaiart.ie/. There's a Munster RoSPA Group too - based around Limerick and Clare.

Arrive in good time and park conveniently for an easy getaway.
    Can you demonstrate a pre-ride check? What's minimum tyre tread depth?
    Can you state the 5 components of the system? Can you explain "planning" as defined in Roadcraft.
    Don't forget your shoulder checks - easy to overlook when another rider "has your back"
    Ensure your rear brake lever is adjusted correctly and your boot isn't accidentally activating brake light.
    (Casually mention that you know there's a new edition of Roadcraft just published)

The Irish RoSPA group: http://www.rospaiart.ie/. There's a Munster RoSPA Group too - based around Limerick and Clare.

Arrive in good time and park conveniently for an easy getaway.
    Can you demonstrate a pre-ride check? What's minimum tyre tread depth?
    Can you state the 5 components of the system? Can you explain "planning" as defined in Roadcraft.
    Don't forget your shoulder checks - easy to overlook when another rider "has your back"
    Ensure your rear brake lever is adjusted correctly and your boot isn't accidentally activating brake light.
    (Casually mention that you know there's a new edition of Roadcraft just published)

Tks. Have a last pre-test training session tomorrow am. I really hope the weather isn't like this morning - I actually met the trainer and a student on the way to work and it was bucketing down.

Ditto for Saturday a.m.

I don't think I've felt like this since my........LC !! (Leaving Cert, that is !! ):D

LOL - just clicked on the rosapiart site - ride on Sunday cancelled due to bad weather !!

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Out of curiosity, how did you apply to do the test, or who did you send the application to?

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how did you apply to do the test, or who did you send the application to?

Roadar.org, download form, post :-)

Idleater wrote: »
    Roadar.org, download form, post :-)

that's the one :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Cos I'm wrecked, a quick summary of the last 24 hours. ..
    Distance travelled 518kms
    Vmax 118km/h
    Vmean 68km/h
    58.2mpg
    2 pairs of socks. .... cos it pissed down...

Oh, knew there was something else. . RoSPA Silver as well. :)

I'll write up more tomorrow cos all I want to do now is. .....Zzzzzzzzzzz

:):)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

well done - did my test few years back and a RoSPA Silver is not shabby by any means. Congrates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Well done to you. We could do with a lot more riders realising that the basic A test isn't the end of learning.
    I hope your RoSPA training and test experience gave you a lot of satisfaction and that you found it worthwhile.
    Again well done next step GOLD :)

Roadskill wrote: »
    Well done to you. We could do with a lot more riders realising that the basic A test isn't the end of learning.
    I hope your RoSPA training and test experience gave you a lot of satisfaction and that you found it worthwhile.
    Again well done next step GOLD :)

Gold def on the cards. Whetted my appetite for it now, esp that I know where I can improve. :)

Also, it's not like doing your Leaving-it's actually fun.

Ode To The Motorist

...more 'cos I discovered by coincidence that I'll only be 2 hours from the place, in January, I've decided to have a go at this as well: looks like fun !! https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

At least it won't be cold !

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement