Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not having documents while driving Motorcycle and being stopped by Garda.

• 11-10-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1 njuu111

Just have a pure hypothetical question to anyone with any knowledge or experience in the matter.

Let's say a driver gets pulled over by a guard for overtaking on a continuous white line. No driving licence nor insurance on him as he forgot his wallet.

Guard would ask for name and address and to produce the driving licence and insurance to Garda station within 10 days.

The driver does so next day to local station.

Within few days a letter comes informing of a penalty points and fine to be payed.

The driver pays.

And he thinks the matter is closed.

A month later he finds out that there are Court Summons waiting for him at an address that he lived in few years ago. I've made up some research and found out that the driver could get 5 Summons:
    - ... did refuse/fail to produce there and then a driving licence...
    - ... did refuse/fail to produce there and then a driving licence... and did not within 10 days after the date...
    - ... did drive a mechanically propelled vehicle ... without holding a driving licence for the time being...
    - ... did fail to produce then and there, on deman,... either a certificate of insurance or a certificate of exemption... and did fail within then days after the date...
    - ... were the user of mechanically propelled vehicle... at that time and for which there was not then in force and approved policy of insurance as required...

Driver have full Irish driving licence and Valid Insurance policy.

My question is (hypothetically of course) what penalty could be put on the driver under the above conditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Funny this is hypothetical. I had a real occasion like that a few years ago. They forgot to log I presented so guard thought I didnt.

Contacted him at station and met him on the day at the court, he inspected them, and then withdrew all charges when it was called.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Legally you should be carrying your driving licence.
    If the documents were brought to the Garda station the next day then that should be fine. Bring to the attention of the Garda before the court.
    If you call to see him/her there may be no need to attend court if he agrees that he will be withdrawing the summons.

Advertisement